“Rustic, not necessarily restful” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Big Sur Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Big Sur Lodge
You added Big Sur Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   47225 Highway One, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Los Angeles
“Rustic, not necessarily restful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I stayed here in March of this year (2014). The rooms are actually individual cabins with porches that are connected to each other.

I reserved a cabin with a single queen bed, but there was also a door to a second "bedroom" with twin beds. In addition, that room contained a sink and closet, but the odd thing was that there was another door, which I'm pretty sure led to the cabin next door -- I assumed they are connected in that manner so that either cabin could be used as a 3-bedroom, but still...I was a little uncomfortable because there were no locks on the either of the doors and it felt a little too close for comfort, since the other cabin was occupied as well.

Every thing was clean and neat -- nothing fancy, but clean and nice. There was an ironing board, coffeemaker, and a floor fan, (which was broken.)

Unfortunately, the walls are incredibly thin and the floor of my room (and the room on the other side of mine) were very creaky. On my second night, there was a couple with a small child in the room next door and I could hear EVERYTHING -- I heard the bedtime story, their plans for dinner, every time someone rolled over in bed,etc. It actually sounded like they were in the room with me.

I would have turned on the TV or radio to block out the noise, but I missed the part on the website where it mentioned there are no TVs, no radio, no phones. Nothing. So, bring a book and some games. A previous reviewer mentioned something WiFi, but when I asked at the front desk, the person on duty said they didn't have WiFi, so....who knows.

The main lodge/restaurant, however, were a different story: The gift shop/store was huge and well stocked -- guidebooks, gifts, hats, trinkets, etc., as well as snacks, beer, candy, camping supplies -- everything you might possibly need.

The restaurant was a surprise -- felt more like an upscale restaurant. Prices were pretty high, but the food was good. There's also a large stone patio with tables and heat lamps. There's also a small cafe attached that served coffee/lattes/muffins/pre-made sandwiches, etc.

Part of the draw of staying here was that as a guest, you get free admission to several nearby parks. It's also in a great location -- smack dab in the middle of Big Sur and only minutes from the most beautiful beach I've ever seen: Pfeiffer Beach, which is about a mile south of the lodge. The front desk has a handout with very detailed directions (which you'll need) to beaches and parks that are just north and south of the lodge.

While I didn't get the best night's rest, the location really can't be beat.

Room Tip: I'd would try and ask for a room cabin at the end. The cabins are attached to each other, but in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Guest_Services_Inc, Customer Service at Big Sur Lodge, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Lillehammer09- Thank you for your review and for staying at Big Sur Lodge in March 2014. We are happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our location and all the nearby attractions as well as our gift shop and restaurant. We are also very glad you liked your room and its amenities. As of May 2014, we are happy to report that we do have Wi-Fi for guests now! So, the next time you visit, if you are looking for Wi-Fi, it will be available for you as an elective amenity. Concerning the noise from the guests in the room adjacent to yours, we do sincerely apologize. Any time you stay with us, please feel free to reach out to our front desk attendant, who will be glad to intervene with your neighboring guests if at all possible. These historic room units were built in the 1960s and are single-wall construction, so there can be noise at times. The room unit you stayed in does have a third door, but it is locked on both sides. Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience with other travelers. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Greenbelt, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I didn't sleep here (I camped).

But the first time I had breakfast here I decided that would be my routine for my stay. Nice service; I happened to have a friendly host with a lot of local knowledge to boot. I had dinner here my last night in the park; it too hit the spot. A boardwalk through redwoods leads down to a nature trail that you should do; just note that it's an out-and-back, but worth it. I spent a considerable time hanging out here too, much of that by the cozy fireplace, and most of the rest in the nice little gift shop which also provisions campers.

If the rooms are as good as my experience of the place, well, stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Guest_Services_Inc, Customer Service at Big Sur Lodge, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
DonnTheHiker- Thank you for dining with us and visiting our lobby and gift shop during your recent camping trip to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. We are glad you enjoyed breakfast and dinner with us as well as the walk on the nature trail. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Come and have breakfast with us again soon!
Innsbruck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

My husband and I went to visit an old friend and took him along on our travels up the coast. I really wasn't expecting much from Big Sur Lodge because it's among the cheaper accommodations in the area. However, we got a roomy, clean (no bugs) cabin with plenty of room for the 3 of us to spread out. Plenty of electrical outlets and surfaces for unpacking, eating, and making coffee or tea. I actually loved that it didn't have a tv. Due to my special diet, we required a fridge, and they sent one over very quickly after we arrived. The dining area in the lodge is nice, but service was better in the evening than at breakfast. The gift shop offers quite a lot, esp. If you forget to pack a hat or warm clothes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Innsbruck- Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your spacious room with lots of counter space, outlets, and a portable refrigerator. Thank you for dining in our restaurant and visiting our gift shop. We greatly appreciate your feedback on the restaurant staff and will be sure to let our Restaurant Manager know. Thank you again for visiting and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

There are not a lot of choices in Big Sur and we had high hopes for this one - the reviews looked good, the price was reasonable compared to the other places and it was in a good location in relationship to the places we wanted to see. However, I would NOT recommend this hotel to my friends. Here's why:

1. When we checked in to our room - the coffee pot was not clean. It had the previous person's coffee muck in it. So did that mean that the coffee mugs were not cleaned either? What about the glasses? YUK!!! What else didn't they clean???
2. They left a dead spider squished in the shower.
3. We went for a hike and came back a little after 3:30 and our room was still not clean. That means we needed a shower, but did not have clean towels to use. When we called the front desk they simply said it would be cleaned 'shortly'. No offer to bring towels or anything.
4. It was super hot when we were there, which was unusual and no fault of the hotel - however, we could not leave our doors open for air because they do not have screens on them and there were TONS of bugs. If you don't have A/C, the least you can do is have screens on your doors.
5. The staff is nice, but they do not go the extra mile to make you feel like a welcomed guest. They could use some training. Especially the two women that work at the front desk.
6. The food in the restaurant is good, but quite pricey compared to other places.
7. I shared my concerns with the front desk when we left and they said they would have a manager call me - but it's been almost a week and no call yet. I guess they don't really care.

Here's the thing -we paid $189 per night and they wanted to charge us $5 an hour for internet service. Yes, that's right $5 PER HOUR, not per day. We stayed in seven different hotels on the California coast and this is the ONLY one that charged for WIFI and it was the most expensive.

The good things:
1. They have a pool and it was a nice relief from the heat.
2. The restaurant staff is phenomenal. They should be the ones working at the front desk.

Next time we pass through that area we will definitely choose a different place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Guest_Services_Inc, Customer Service at Big Sur Lodge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
MCT- Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to let us know about your experience. Thank you for your excellent suggestion about screen doors for the rooms. We will look into that idea. We are happy to hear that you liked our location, pool and restaurant staff. However we are very sorry that you were disappointed by the service you received at the front desk and the cleanliness of your room. We deeply apologize and will discuss your comments with our staff. Because so many of our guests come here specifically to unplug from technology, we do not offer complimentary Wi-Fi but we’re very sorry if the cost inconvenienced you or caught you by surprise! If you would like to provide additional details about your stay, please feel free to contact us directly at talktous@guestservices.com. Thank you again and we sincerely hope you give us another try the next time you are in the area!
Modesto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Big Sur Lodge is a true retreat. There are no phones or TVs in the room. Cell phone coverage is intermittent. We stayed in a fireplace cabin that had a separate bedroom with a Queen sized bed and a large living area with another queen bed and two single beds. There was also room for a table and two chairs as well as a small desk area with another chair. These rooms would be great for a family. We also had a deck with two chairs facing the pool area. The lodge is located off Highway 1 near the entrance to Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park. The setting is tall redwoods and other trees. There is a creek and river in the park. Gorgeous coastline is within a few mile in either direction. We stayed one night while attend a wedding nearby, but could have stayed much longer and unwound. The lodge restaurant is a mixed bag. Our lunch when we arrived was forgettable. I had the burger which consisted of a half pound of overcooked meat with lots of toppings. My wife had the fish and chips, which were mediocre at best. We fared much better at breakfast. My Eggs Benedict were excellent as were the French toast and bacon and eggs. There are better restaurants within a short drive and I would recommend the Big Sur Bakery, which sells excellent meals at a reasonable price. It is packed with locals so it may be hard to get a table. The drive down the coast is fantastic and the lodge is very rustic and relaxing.

Room Tip: The fireplace rooms with decks are worth the small extra cost.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GSI_CustomerService, Customer Service at Big Sur Lodge, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
DrDadrwp- Thank you for your excellent review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your fireplace room and that you found our rustic setting to be relaxing. Thank you for sharing with other travelers what you liked about the setting including the trees, creek, river and coastline. We are sorry that the food in our restaurant varied from breakfast to lunch and we will discuss your feedback with our chef and restaurant manager for correction. We thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We loved our king fireplace room. The peace and quiet was welcomed after a busy few days in LA. There is no TV, radio or internet (it is possible to purchase wifi but we didn't). We slept so incredibly well here. The lodge did have a slight woody smell but that's to be expected with a fireplace in the room!! We sat outside on the balcony until the sun went down. There is a small button on the shower which was good to find as until we found this the shower was just a dribble but brilliant once we operated it correctly! We were very very happy with this choice but it wouldn't be for everyone.

Room Tip: Our room was particularly quiet as it was at the very end of the park away from the pool
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GSI_CustomerService, Customer Service at Big Sur Lodge, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Karen C- Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the peace and quiet of Big Sur Lodge and that you slept incredibly well during your stay. We are delighted to know that you sat on your balcony and enjoyed the sunset hours. We thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed at the Big Sur Lodge this past weekend and we were not impressed! I had read the other reviews and am not sure we stayed at the same place !!! We had to change rooms the first night as our first room was so badly kept! The couch was filthy, rugs in dire need of cleaning, etc! Our second room wasn't much better! We just had more beds in it. For the price we paid it was sorely lacking! Our keys didn't work each day and we thought the food in the lodge was highly overpriced and just not good
I know we were in a lodge in a state park but please renovate the rooms before you charge such ridiculous prices!

Stayed May 2014
TripAdvisor Member- Thank you for staying with us at Big Sur Lodge and taking the time to provide honest feedback. We are so sorry to hear that your room, our rates and our restaurant did not meet your expectations but we wanted to thank you for letting us know so that we can make the necessary corrections. In regards to renovations, because of our year-round popularity it is hard to find windows of time to accomplish upgrades. This year we renovated our kitchenette rooms and we have plans to continue these improvements to additional rooms in the near future. However, the conditions you describe in your review are not at all in line with the standards to which we hold ourselves and we will address them. Thank you again for your helpful review and we hope to see you again someday!

Been to Big Sur Lodge? Share your experiences!