“Great Hikes!” 5 of 5 stars

Chatsworth
7 attraction reviews
“Great Hikes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Didn't camp here, but took some great short hikes. One of our favorites - so beautiful! You'll be walking in the woods, next to a creek most of the way on the Limekiln Trail. The Waterfall Trail is an off-shoot from the Limekiln Trail and worth the effort.

Parking is an issue, though the ranger/docent found a place for us, even late in the day.

Take a moment to read about the history of the Limekilns before you make the trek - it's interesting.

The journey, rather than the destination is definitely the reason for this hike though. Enjoy!

Morgan Hill, CA
“Great Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were lucky enough to pick up a couple of nights at this gem of a state park on the Big Sur coastline. The camping was great. There is a creek that runs through the campground and the beach is just a few paces away, so you fall asleep to the peaceful sounds of both waves crashing and the creek running. The sites are small and placed closed together, but there are a few with privacy and even a couple on a hillside, overlooking the ocean. We were with kids, but we were warned at the beginning that this was a quiet campground so to please respect our neighbors. I appreciated that because our kids are quiet, but there's nothing worse than relaxing by a campfire with people yelling into the night. The staff here was amazing! Shelly and Chris were so kind and helpful and bay, did they work! They were understaffed at the time, but the bathrooms were ALWAYS clean and the campground tidy. They cordially enforced the quiet hours and even patrolled the beach from time to time. They really made the experience perfect! Also, the hiking trails at Limekiln are breathtakingly beautiful, but please watch out for poison oak!!

Los Angeles, California
10 attraction reviews
“Very underrated. Beautiful Hiking.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Way underrated hiking place that has short, easy hikes that are lush with greenery and Redwoods. The Falls Trail ends up at a 100-foot waterfall and creek that is beautiful. I hiked all three hikes there while taking my time and it took me about two hours at the most.

Greenbelt, Maryland
13 attraction reviews
“Camp here, or not. Either way, check it out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Potential issues: camping is rustic and accommodations for big RVs, not. But the folks I saw in the campground seemed to be having a good time. Parking: get there early, or have a really small car, because day visit parking is at a premium. I felt my parking spot was borderline illegal - nothing else even worth attempting was available - but worth hoping. No ticket, no upset ranger, fairly busy too, and I didn't block anybody, so I guess I was OK. But I don't need the parking to be that close-run a thing everywhere I go, for sure. Guess I fit. But I JUST BARELY fit. (TEENY car.)

Good stuff: Redwoods. Big Sur is the southernmost refuge of the coast redwood, and Limekiln has a very pretty stand. These aren't the mammoth trees of the North Coast, but one of the best things about Big Sur is seeing that big things like coast redwood can come in smaller packages, and still impress. If you have gotten there early, you can have all the hiking the park offers done by noon, taking your time about it and getting a good look at everything. The historic limekiln ruins are worth the visit. Limekiln Falls ("Limekilt" might be a good name for the formation down which the water runs) is one of the prettier and more uniquely configured falls I have seen. But Hare Creek may be the best walk: nothing but redwoods, burbling water, and quiet. I was alone almost the entire time I was on that trail, just me and the water and the trees.

Walk out onto the beach, turn your back on the water, and look up to that prominent conical peak. Uh-huh, it's called Cone Peak. And the rise from where you are standing to that summit is the steepest along the entire coast of the continental United States.

Visited March 2014
Aptos, California
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I've camped all over the country and this park is one of the worst! There was nothing nice about it at all except if you were standing on the beach looking out at the ocean! I went with someone who had never camped so we left because I didn't want him to have a bad experience!

Visited May 2014