“Wonderful family vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard El Cid | Unidad 15, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 40% Off Air + Hotel
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

After spending 8 nights at the El Cid I can definitely say this was one of the best family vacations we have had. Our family of 4 (12 year old boy and 14 year daughter) had such a great time - and the El Cid was a great hotel. Now I won't say the hotel was perfect, but if you compare this to other upper / middle level FAMILY resorts it really would be hard to beat. One of the best features of the hotel was the 1 bedroom suite we had. This suite was just HUGE and for our family of 4 the small extra cost of this room was well worth it. The suite is basically the size of two standard rooms (literally) and had to be over 800 sq ft. We had 2 large bathrooms, a kitchenette (don't know why you would want a stove but you have one), dining table with 4 chairs, a king size bed in the bedroom, a queen size murphy bed with a real queen mattress (very nice), and couch which we actually turned into a twin size bed for our daughter since the kids didn't want to share a bed. On top of this you get a large balcony with 4 chairs and since we were on the 4th floor in building#10 we had a great view of everything (note we did NOT upgrade to platinum)

Other great features of the hotel were the pool which my son would never leave, the entertainment staff and activities (bike tour, shooting, and who can forget crazy hour), and the shows (first time I have ever said this for a all inclusive) especially Mexico dancing night. These were real shows! And finally, since we spent everyday at the beach in the shade of one of the huts I really have to say that was great also.

Of course, the beach and shade were one of the areas which some may consider one of the problems of the resort. While the beach out of the water was beautiful and well maintained, once you go more than 5 - 10 feet into the water you better have water shoes on. I have seen reviews saying you need shoes and some that say you don't so let me be clear - yes you can walk in without shoes, but there are lots of rocks and unevenness so if you want to walk out without worrying about your step wear water shoes. Also, if you want to leave the property while walking on the beach - especially towards town - it gets rough and you will want something on your feet.

As far as shade goes, if you are happy at the beach than you should have no problem - we had the same hut everyday - but if you want to be at the pool you are out of luck. All they have at the pool is a couple tables with umbrellas.

Restaurants were good and the Mexican restaurant was the family favorite - make sure to ask for the appetizer sampler platter. We never had problems getting reservations even though the hotel was 80 % full, but I did make reservations 2 days in advance so this might be the reason. Seafood though was only marginal and never had a seafood dish which I would want to have again.

As I said before, the entertainment staff was great and my son had a great time participating in volleyball games, bingo, and wacky activities. This was a area though of weakness for my daughter since there were minimal activities for young teenagers and there were few activities for individuals. Would be great if the resort could add a couple of the activities for those who don't like the pool - basketball please!!

With all these positives, how can anyone not give this resort perfect marks?? Well, there were things which some have mentioned in reviews which could be annoying.

* Once you get out a little bit in the ocean it can definitely be a rough bottom. No worse than others near Puerto Morelos, but nothing like the smooth bottoms you find other places.
* This resort is somewhat isolated so walking the beach is nowhere near as nice as the resorts on the other side of town. I would NOT try to walk into town unless it was cool and you don't mind a adventure.
* It is a family resort - especially extended family. Saw lots of grand parents and larger family groups. If you are looking for something romantic you are going the wrong place.
* It is a upper / middle level resort. This is not a 5 star resort. Yes it has many nice extras such as room service and drink service on the beach, but if you compare this to the Excellence it is not the same.
* Finally, the resort is bilingual (spanish first / english second) and caters to Mexican tourists as much as it caters to Americans. Like hotels in America, they hold local weddings, graduation parties, dances, and weekend outings for large family / friend groups. This can make the pool crowded on weekends with groups of kids all speaking spanish who are not interested in interacting with the American tourists. We really didn't find this a issue, but some who are use to these resorts being islands of Americans may not like this.

All in all though, if you are a family looking for a all inclusive resort I would place this one at the top of your list.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your wonderful review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family were happy in this your resort and that all your expectations were exceeded.
Thank you also for taking the time to post your review and for so many positive comments.
We look forward for your next stay with us:)
Muchisimas gracias familia!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
west virginina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

This trip was truley almost heaven. Like with any trip there are always a few things that could have gone better. When I was preparing for this trip I relied heavily on trip advisor to make a decision about where to stay. So, I will try and be as complete as I can for those searching for a resort.

I am going to get the bad part out of the way first as most of our stay was perfect. Upon check in we were informed that the room that we had been promised ( a one bed room) would not be available at all during our stay and that we would have to take a small room that was about like staying at a Holiday Inn. Having two girls and my wife with me I knew that this was going to be a big issue. Only one Bath room! I had read that this had been an issue for others so I had talked to the reservation person at El Cid and insisted that he send me an email confirming my reservation for the one bed room. Once I produced the email they agreed to make a change for us the next day. However, the next day when I went to make the move and my wife had packed all of our things up, we were informed that the room we were moving to was no longer available either. I guess the folks in that room decided to stay longer and the resort agreed to let them. So any way it was day three before we were in our room and settled. We managed to keep our spirits up and had a good time those first few days but it was a bit of a hastle and it could have ruined our stay if we would have let it. There were several other famlies that had the same problem. This is the biggest thing that the resort needs to change. However, I will say that the front desk staff was very friendly and professional. They did seem to care that we were inconvenienced and tried their best to be helpful.

Ok enough of that, the rest of our stay was great. The pool is unbelievable. There are lots of chairs and the pool is so big. The kids had a great time on the slide and cliff jump. There were often activities in the afternoon such as water polo or soccer or volleyball. My only complaint about the pool is that it does get hot during the afternoon. I guess there is not much the resort can do about that though.

The beach is very nice and close to the pool. The ocean does require you to use water shoes but it is very nice. We even did a little snorkeling at the resort and although its not like going out on a snorkeling trip there were lots of fish to see but you have to take your own equipment. Snorkeling out of Puerto Merelos is great. Just go to the dock. There are outfitters right there for only about $25 per person and they do a great job. My only complaint about the beach is that every time we went to ask to go out on the sail boat there was a different reason why we could not. We tried 5 times.

The one bedroom suite that we had was great once we finally got there. Lots of room and the cleaning staff was great. I tipped her ten dollars the first day and she took care of us like we were her own.

All of the resturaunt staff was great as well. Sooo friendly and funny. We tipped them every day also - a couple of dollars at every meal and they really seemed to appreciate it. God knows that they deserve it. The food at the resturaunts was really good. We only ate though at the Med resturaunt for dinner and the buffets for lunch. We had trouble getting reservations at the other two resturaunts for dinner but we heard that they were not as good anyway. Room service food was pretty good and usually took about 45 mins.

Overall the resort is very pretty and very well kept. They were working all the time cleaning and painting. It is a very nice size- not too big. You can walk from one end of the resort to the other in just a few mins.

Bar service was very good and friendly. Once again tipping does not hurt. Just be aware though- NO AMERICAN BEER AT ALL!!!!.

There is a bit of an odor at times that I think you eventually get used to. Im not sure if its the water or what. Im sure that they never even notice it there- its just different.

The shows at night were pretty good. I did not understand why some of them were held inside though and not at the pool. I really dont want to sit inside when Im at a beach resort. The El Cid staff who ran the shows were very good.

Overall, this resort was far better than I had expected. I went in knowing that I was in a different country and that things would be a little different at times. Just keep that in mind and you will have a great vacation. Dont get frustrated when something is not handled the way you would expect in the U.S. They make up for it in so many other ways. I have been on many cruises and the staff and service at El Cid was better. Remember to take lots of one dollar bills for tips. There really is no way to get them at the resort. I think that I went through about $150 in ones but it was money well spent and deserved. One of the waiters even gave my daughters and wife a gift on our last day.- nice touch. We felt very welcome at all times and safe. This is not a resort for young folks looking to party though. I even saw the security from the resort escort a few drunk people out of the pool and to their rooms after they got out of control.- that was a good thing. If anyone is planning to go to El Cid and has questions send me a message on here or email me at pkgtah@yahoo.com. I would be happy to help.

Dear amigos:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your past stay in this your hotel.
We are so happy that you and your family had a nice and relaxed stay with us.
Thank you also for taking the time to post your review and for your observations, we are sorry for the inconvenience with your room booking we will retrieve your review with the involved staff to try to avoid this situation in the future.
We hope to see you and your family back in a future in this your hotel we guarantee you a perfect stay:)
Hasta pronto amigos!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

My wife and I traveled with our 14 year old and 17 year old to the El Cid Cancun. Let me start by saying purchase the travel offered with any package. We did not and boy were we sorry. This resort is located in the middle of nowhere. We arrived at night, and I swore we were being kidnapped and taken to a commune in the middle of the jungle. When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff and shown to our room promptly. We did purchase a platinum package. I would reccomend this because you get your own private beach, and it is much easier to reserve a palapa as well as meals at the three sit down restaurants.
The buffet food was average at best. All three sitdown restaurants were great. I would reccomend the marina. Fantastic dining.
The staff was very friendly, and were always ready with a cool drink and a smile. The room was beautiful. We overlooked the ocean as well as the adult jacuzzi. We stayed in building 15. The evening entertainment was fun for the kids and tolerable for us. We just had a great time.
I would also reccomend staying away from the vacation club presentation. Lots of fluff for alot of cash. I would not book anything with the tour company at the hotel. HORRIBLE!!!! They are called Pronatours. I have something form them to pronate on. They were supposed to arrange our airport transportation home. It was at 4:30 AM. NO SHOW!!!!! When the hotel finally woke the driver up he said that he had us on for 4:30 PM!!!!
Do not let any of that distract you. Just dont use them to book anything. If you want great value, a great room, great drinks and to feel like royalty then this is the place for you. We spoke with several other couples on the plane ride home that were extrememly disappointed with the service they recieved at other locations. THIS PLACE IS A GEM!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice and great holiday in this your resort.
We would like to apologize for the incident with your airport transfer we already send your comments to the propper person and they will contact you ASAP.
Thank you again for recommending our resort in this website, it will be a pleasure to serve you again in a near future in this your Hotel.
Hasta la vista amigos!
Lodi ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We have just spent a week in Cancun, El Cid. We had a wonderful time; we had a two bedroom over looking the ocean, 3rd floor beautiful view; the rooms were beautiful and very spacious, there were six of us and had plenty of room.
There were four adults and two children. The food was very good in all four restaurants, a great variety of food and very good quality, something for everyone. The pool and beach areas were very nice. The evening entertainment was good. There were many activities for the children. The service and staff was outstanding; very polite and helpful. The rooms were always kept cleaned and well supplied. I hope you will pass this on to the staff, thanking them all for the special service. We will look forward to returning. Thanks for a great family vacation.
Dennis Regan, California

Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

The hotel staff (waiters, maids, bartenders, etc.) were wonderful. The check-in concierge staff not so much. The hotel itself is beautiful. We upgraded to platinum to get an oceanfront room. We actually got an ocean view room. I was unimpressed with platinum status.

Our flight was 6 hours late so when we arrived at the hotel we were tired, cranky and hungry. I had read on-line about the timeshare sales but wasn't expecting the lady at the
check-in to try and sign us up. I was not happy.

When we got to the room - there was an open bottle of wine and fruit tray and a plate
of chocolate covered strawberries with a personalized note in a jelly substance on the
plate. This was very nice. A towel was also fanned on the bed with decorative flowers.

The next morning we got a call from our 'personal concierge' who said she was sorry missed us the night before because of the flight problem and she had a gift for us and wanted to explain the amenities at the hotel. We met her only to be bombarded again with the timeshare spiel. The following morning the same call but I was wiser. When I pay good hard money for a relaxing vacation I do not want to be harassed - for this reason I probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

The food was was great. However, getting reservations for dinner at the restaurants were difficult and when we went they virtually empty so I am not sure why they were accommodating. The Marina restaurant is supposed to be 5 stars and we made reservations for 1 night but when I found out the restaurant was not air conditioned we canceled our reservations.

Drinks were always available. I am wine drinker and there were only 2 types of wine, red and white.

We attended a wedding on the premises and the accommodations and execution of the wedding was beautiful.

What I liked about this hotel:

1. Grounds and rooms well maintained. If you had a problem with the room the
staff was right there to help.
2. The pool area was beautiful. The kids loved the jumping cliff and slide.
3. There was some kind of entertainment every night.
4. The food (buffet) was very good.
5. The snorkeling trip from the Marina was really nice. The crew was great!

How I would improve this hotel:

1. Get rid of the sales pitch from the hotel staff. This really put a damper on my
experience.
2. Be more flexible with the restaurant reservations. We were with a large group and
some had real issues and problems with restaurant reservations.
3. Provide a snack bar. The buffet was nice but a buffet meal is not my ideal. A little
hamburger stand by the pool would have been really convenient. You couldn't go
into the restaurant with your bathing suit on so if you were at the beach or the pool
and were hungry you had to dry off and get dressed. The ability to have a meal on
the beach or by the pool would have been really nice.
4. Be careful of the ATM in the lobby - I got home and the ATM charged $60 for a $500
withdrawal.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your past stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice holiday in this your resort.
Thank you also for your valuable suggestions that mean a lot for us and are so useful for our future plans.
Thank you again for your preference and for sharing your review.
Hasta pronto!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Just returned from Mexico yesterday and enjoyed our 7 day stay tremendously. Traveled with our older children and their three young children. Arranged our airport transfer from USA Transfer ahead of time and had car seats for the kids. They are excellent. The airport customs and security is not a hassle and got through that very quickly. Got to hotel late but they had our rooms ready without a problem. There was still time for dinner in the main dining room. The food is great, a multitude of choices and friendly, helpful and courteous wait staff who go out of their way to assist you. Several choices of restaurants to go to but make sure you make a reservation for dinner a day in advance for the specialty restaurants. The buffet is always a walk-in and serve yourself. Most people went to the buffet but we found that the Arrecife was a great option and we went there almost every day for breakfast and lunch. Hector, the Manager was helpful and very friendly as are all the staff and waiters. Gregorio, was wonderful and always had a smile on his face. We also ate two times at the Alcazar, which is a little more formal. Their menu was different each time. The pool is immaculate and is thoroughly cleaned each morning. We found seats every morning in the kiddie pool area but there are many more areas in which seats were readily available as long as you got there early enough to get them. The property is large and the buildings are fairly well spread out. We were lucky enough to stay in Building 11 which was really centrally located and had a decent view of the Ocean from our corner room. Our daughter, complained to us that Building 10 was a little too close to the pool if you have young children who need to go to sleep earlier than 9PM, because there is nightly entertainment at the pool that usually begins at 9PM and ends in plenty of time for people who go to sleep after 10:30PM. The shows were great and the Mexican traditional dancing really stood out for us. The beach is really very pleasing and is extremely well groomed every morning. Plenty of chairs and enough palapas which are available at various times during the day. The water is very rocky and I would very strongly recommend wearing water shoes which help tremendously. You can wade out quite far at ease with them and really enjoy the water. The water recreation opportunities are fun, the kayaks and especially for my wife and I, the ride on the Hobie Cat. Joel who took us out was very accomodating and friendly. We also chose to take public transportation into Playa Del Carmen, only a few miles away and had a nice day shopping and seeing something different. We didn't venture out on the many other sightseeing and recreational opportunities because of the young age of our grandchildren. However, there is much to do off site if you want to go. The rooms we stayed in were also immaculate and the cleaning staff went out of their way to please us in any way they could. Although this is a mandatory all inclusive resort, tipping was something we felt very strongly about doing. From the pool bar waiters, to the wait staff and bellhops, a few dollars went a long way. Overall, it was a exceptional experience for our family and we wouldn't hesitate to go again. My grandchildren are already wanting to know where they go to see iguanas, lizards, beautiful birds, turtles and even a baby alligator. The biggest thank you for me should go to the staff of the Hotel who are such warm, friendly, outgoing and work oriented people that just being around them added to my already wonderful experience. Thank you very much.

Dear amigos:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your awesome review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a nice and pampered stay in this your resort.
Thank you for the nice comments about our staff and our restaurants
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your family again in a near future and thank you again for the selection of our hotel and for sharing your review.
Muchas gracias!
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Once again, El Cid proved to be perfect. this time we loved the new entertainment by the jacuzzi after dinner. We laid on the comfy lounge chairs, looked up at the stars, enjoyed the breeze and were swept away by the mellow music. It was fun too, to watch the 5 weddings that took place while we were there. The spa definately is the best I have ever experienced especially since they encourage you to come an hour early for the "pre" spa treatment. That includes sauna, steam room, waterfall shower, hot tub, scented oils and face massage. ahh...heaven!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!