“Great features for kids but had some issues!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

You added Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard El Cid Unidad 15, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 45% Off
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Saskatoon, Canada
“Great features for kids but had some issues!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I just returned home from our family vacation in Mexico and we stayed at the El Cid Marina & Spa in Puerto Morelos!

First off I have to say we had an amazing time despite some things that were not so great!! I will start with the PROS!

-I want to start off by commending the staff at El Cid for a BEAUTIFUL resort. I travel to Mexico on a regular basis for work and this is one of the most beautiful resorts I have stayed at by far! The landscaping and gardens are just breath-taking and the mote with crocodiles and sea turtles was amazing for the kids to see as well!

-The resort has a great atmosphere for children! The children's area in the swimming pool was absolutely wonderful and my boys (aged 11, 9 & 8) all enjoyed diving off the cliff and using the waterfalls to play from.

-The pool in general was great. It wasn't over saturated with chlorine which my kids noticed right away as it wasn't burning their eyes (as so many pools do!). It was deep enough to have fun, but not too deep that adults like my mom who can't swim were not able to walk with ease to enjoy the water and go to the walk up mini bar.

-The staff was amazing! Very friendly and willing to help with anything you needed.

-The activities provided at pool side were really diverse and fun! They had both activities for adults and children and my mom and I even participated in a Salsa making activity where we got to see them make fresh salsa in front of us!

-Although we did not utilize the free kids club it was nice to know that it was there and see the kids in the club appearing to have such a great time.

-Check in time was a breeze! We had a lovely lady sit down with us to show us a map of the resort and she DID try to talk us into giving up our time the following morning to show us around a different time share portion of the resort but when we declined was more than polite and kind about it.

-The SPA!! My mom and I got a spa treatment of deep tissue massage with hydrotherapy and it was one of the best spa treatments I have ever had!! We were both in heaven and the service was great!

Now for the CONS!

-The food! Although I see a lot of positive comments on the food, it's hard to believe as I found the food to be okay at best. It was my mom's first time at a resort and my boys and none of them enjoyed the food either. The Mexican cuisine was really terrible and it's something we were all looking forward to. The Americanized food was also not great and a lot of dishes were heavily saturated with salt. My oldest son loves seafood and was expecting a better variety of seafood every day. They had themed nights and the best of those nights was probably the Asian and Fisherman, which is bizarre because I really don't care for either of those types of foods. If anything the fried chicken was good, and some of the chicken dishes were really good. The sweet breads, the breakfast with pancakes and omelettes were really good. A big gripe for my mom and most likely most people who are watching their health would be that they only had margarine with their wide selection of sweet breads and breads, NO butter.

-The room service food. The room service food was quite bad. We ordered spaghetti and it came to us ice cold, along with extra sauce that was also ice cold. My son said he quite enjoyed the burger but mainly for the chips that came on the side. The things that were great from the room service were the cheesecake, the house salad and the hot chocolate.

-The Restaurant food! I know! I am talking a lot of the food, however my kids and my mom had great expectations about Mexican food as I have been many times before and have talked about how delicious it can be! We tried the Mexican, the Italian and the Seafood restaurants. First off, if you like seafood I would highly recommend the Italian NOT the Seafood for good seafood. My son had the Swordfish at the Italian and it was really quite delicious. Out of all the restaurants the Italian was probably the best however not a huge selection of dishes. The service was also really good at the Italian. The seafood place was the worst of all three. My son had the lobster and pasta dish and both my mom and him said that the buffet dish that was similar had been by far better. My mom said the shrimp dish was just OKAY. Since I am not a seafood lover I can not comment on the seafood dishes myself but the spaghetti was mediocre at best. The service was definitely slower at this place as well. The Mexican was not very good. We had pretty high expectations for this place since well... we are in Mexico! The menu was packed full of seafood dishes and for someone who doesn't like seafood I was disappointed. I had a cheese and sausage dish that was not too bad but quite salty and rich, and the steak was pretty flavorable as well although not a Mexican dish at all. It would have been nice to see some chicken or pork tacos on the menu as that's what we were all craving was a traditional Mexican taco!

-The SLIDE!! The slide at the pool in the kids area would NOT meet Canada's safety regulations!! It was frighteningly fast. I didn't believe it at first so I had to see for myself but there were an obscene amount of blood splattering and smearing on a couple parts of the white concrete slide. Pretty scary. I wouldn't let my kids on it after we all tried it once, and while we were there a child was badly injured on it as well as he cracked his head on the side.

-CHECK YOUR DECK LOCK! Our deck lock did not work when we arrived at our room and our neighbors could easily come over onto our deck so we wanted it to work. The maintenance guy did come very promptly, worked at it for 20 minutes and had to come back with more tools. Overall we were trapped in our room for about an hour when we first arrived so it could be fixed. Once it was fixed it was difficult to latch and later in the week it quit working again and we had to have maintenance come once again.

-We stayed in the family room. At first glance the room was really beautiful! At second glance, our bathroom door knob constantly fell off and could not be locked unless you wanted to be trapped inside. Small things that showed a lack of care in cleaning such as an old drink ring on the bedside table that I was able to scratch off showed that the room was actually quite dirty. The toilet had mold spots on it, the floor was stained with brown spots in the bathroom and one of the beds had a leg that was missing making it noisy whenever you moved around on it. Overall the room was nice, but for the amount of money you are paying I expect a higher standard.

-The beach. The beach was breath-taking and beautiful, however my boys had a hard time enjoying themselves to swim in it because of all of the seaweed constantly washing up. NOT the resorts fault, but a bad part of the beach and most typically it was almost completely empty.

-The location. Don't expect to do much 5th avenue shopping in Playa unless you are prepared to PAY!!! I was expecting to be close to Playa so I did most of my research in that area. We were really disappointed to find that they were trying to charge us $90 per way which is pretty unacceptable. In hindsight had I known we would be closer to Cancun I might have tried a trip there. We did go into Puerto Morelos and it's a great little town with not too much to see but has a sufficient enough market that you can shop for those souvenirs you are wanting. I was just disappointed as I had wanted to show my boys a more authentic experience and to show them how and where people really live, not just the giant bubble wrapped package they try to serve you.

OVERALL this is a great place for families! Most people would probably think it was just great but I have definitely become more observatory given the amount of resorts I have been to for work and this would definitely not rank anywhere close to the top. The room security issues and cleanliness was definitely the most disheartening followed by the food. They should also definitely be removing that slide or making it safer.

We had a great time and in the end that's all I can ask for with my family!

Room Tip: We stayed in a family room in building 18 and it was surprisingly quiet and overlooked the sea turtl...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

great hotel, service and excellent food. I would definately go back again. I enjoyed my stay at el cid not sure if it was the time of year or do they always have so many weeds washing up on shore. I only swam in the ocean once as it was murky and very rocky.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Salinas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed 1 week at this resort. The food is excellent. Great variety and prepared well. The grounds and pool are lovely. The staff is also great. I wouldn't waste money again on the platinum club. It definitely was not worth it at this hotel.Platinum facilities are minimal. Butler service? Saw him one time when I arrived, he took me to my oceanfront room in a golf cart (it was raining) and that was it. At other resorts, if you upgrade to Platinum the butler shows you the facilities and tells you if you need anything, just call.
The beach leaves much to be desired. Lots of seaweed washes up along with plastic, cellophane and other debris. The sand between the seaweed and the hotel is clean and kept up.They dispose of the seaweed but it keeps washing up.Further up the beach, past the marina a ways, there is still seaweed but a lot less garbage washing up. Entertainment is so-so. Not 4 or 5 star standard. In the lobby, there are people trying to to hustle you to take tours. Avoid them. Your best bet is to look for "Rooster", a charming well-spoken young man who goes out of his way to provide you with a well-worth-it tour. You can find him by the pool where you get towels. He set my family of 5 up for a tour to Chichen Itza. Not only was the bus comfortable and have TWO spotless bathrooms, after the tour they provided ice-cold washcloths to cool off and as much cerveza, soda and water as you wanted. It was reasonable too. We highly recommend him. Book with him and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our second trip to Mexico for Thanksgiving. The Hotel Marina El Cid is an Amazing place to go if you have kids who love to swim. The pool, along with the cliff to jump off of, is absolutely incredible and we spent many hours playing in the pool. The spa (which is extra) is peaceful and relaxing (try the hydro-therapy) and having a massage on the beach while listening to the waves crashing was amazing. The crocodiles, lizards, and birds that live on the property were awesome to watch and became daily habits. The staff is was attentive and the water aerobics was fun. The buffets had plenty to choose from and the reservation restaurants offered choices that both the adults and kids were pleased with, but the setting was a lot more relaxing than in the buffet areas. We had only two disappointments: we made our reservations in January, but we were not only given a first floor room, but we did not have an ocean view - even though we had requested one. I would think that making a reservation with so much advance notice (along with the specific request) that we would have been given an ocean view room. Second, although our room was very clean, there were occasions that the resort was not. We watched a little boy spill his red juicy drink on a main sidewalk. Three days later, the spill was still there - sticky and dried up. Yuck. Finally, the beach was nice and the resort has plenty of boogie boards & kayaks to borrow (free!), but if you want to enjoy long walks on the beach, go to Playa Del Carmen and not here as the walk is done in about 6 minutes. But, there are several hammocks to use on the beach that make it relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: I've heard that you should start e-mailing the front desk immediately and often to be scheduled...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our second time here and it was so much better then the first time. We are owners and the first time we couldn't get a ocean view. Our requests were ignored by management and often rude. But the second time we went I couldn't have been more pleased how things went. There's the odd hiccup, like if your not a millionaire el CID member you can't get a papilla booked if it's busy. The spa hear is amazing and worth checking out. Food was great. I do wish you could have pool and beach side food service. You are kind of remote. You have to take a taxi wherever you go. I still recommend this resort

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean front room. We had a 2 bedroom booked but we're given a 3 bedroom. It wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint James City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

ALL Food very good - Service and Drinks great
Italian - Swordfish VERY good !
Buffet had Tuna cooked to order - never seen that even in Vegas
Spa - Victor does a wonderful hot stone massage
Will return again

Room Tip: Stayed 1 bedroom in 1144 building 11 - very happy quiet and close to everything
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We recently stayed two weeks at the Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort and simply stated, the service was outstanding! From Angel (our butler) to Rodrigo (our host at the Platinum Club) to Marleni (our waitress at the Jacuzzi Spa) to Elena (the short-order cook at El Alhambra Buffet), the service was always courteous and friendly everywhere we went on the property. The recently added Italian themed restaurant offers a new experience, but our favorite restaurant continues to be "El Arrecife" which offers a different dinner menu each night, as well as consistently outstanding service by professional waiters, such as Eric Rosas. This was our third year vacationing at the Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, and our plans are to continue to include this location in our annual travel plans for 2015! Relax in the sun in a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your third stay with us.
We are so glad to read that you had a great vacation with us again and enjoyed our new additions.
Thank you also for your compliments for our staff members for their nice service, I will make sure to share your review with them:-)
We hope to serve you both again for fourth occasion in a near future and thank you again for your excellent comments and for your third visit to El Cid.
Esta es su casa amigos, hasta la vista!!

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!