“Got married here!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard El Cid | Unidad 15, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 55% Off
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Levittown, Pennsylvania
“Got married here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We decided on a destination wedding and took our combined 5 children. Several friends and family members came as well. Upon check in we found that our children were not in an adjoining room, but were 3 floors below us. Since they range from 7 to 20, we didn't make a big deal about it. We really didnt want to lose our room either- which was beautiful. Fortunately, my maid of honor ended up in the room next to them. Service generally tended to be slow, despite our tipping, which we felt was pretty good. But it seemed like the pace was just slower there. Definitely affected out tipping as the vacation went on though! Especially at the bars. People were generally friendly and helpful. Room service VERY slow, but with the buffet, why bother really? Whenever we made a request, it was followed up on (more towels, etc). I would advise upgrading to the platinum rooms if you can. It was nice to have a specific butler to call and a private lounge area in the lobby. But for the wedding- Melina, our wedding coordinator was fantastic. Everything went perfectly that day. When we were bombarded by mosquitos during the reception, she found us repellent right away. The set up, the party, the food- everything was awesome. We couldn't have done it better and it is really due to the efforts made by the staff there. The one big disappointment was the photographer (positive photo studio). The photographer was friendly, but was on his phone quite a lot. He took beautiful pics, but then we ended up standing in the lobby trying to sort through 350 pictures (our package was 3 hour service, and 50 prints), with a band playing and people next to us looking at thier tourist pics. They would not provide a weblink so we could look through the pictures at our leisure (we were leaving the next morning). We asked them about purchasing all the pictures and they tried to say we had to upgrade the package- even though it would not get us more photographer time, which is included in the package. So we ended up feeling under pressure and uncomfortable standing there in the lobby trying to decide what pictures to take. We ended up paying a fortune just to have a CD of about 150 pictures- and no prints. At the least they should have an area for a couple to sit down and sort through the pictures- we couldn't even control the mouse to flip through all the choices. It was horrible and resulted in our first married argument!

In sum, hotel was beautiful, although service was slow. Food very good, people friendly. Wedding department amazing and worked very hard, photographer less so.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for celebrating your wedding in our resort.
We are so glad that you and your husband enjoyed mostly of your experience with us and that everything went smooth during your wedding day.
Thank you also for sharing your experience on tripadvisor, for your compliments for the nice Melina and for your suggestions that are really important for us and help us to improve our service, by the way I just shared your review with Positive studio.
We hope to serve you and your husband again in a near future and thank you again for your review and for your confidence to celebrate your wedding in our resort.
We wish you the best together amigos, felicidades!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We are a family of four with two teenagers ages 15 and 17. We had a great experience at this very clean, all inclusive hotel. We read up on it at tripadvisor beforehand and were prepared. This hotel is located 20 minutes south of the airport, away from the hotel zone. We were interested in a more relaxed atmosphere than the Hotel zone offered, although the hotel zone beaches are unbelievably beautiful. The sandy beach at El Cid extends about 20-30 feet into the water before you hit seaweed and rocks. Sharp rocks. We brought water shoes and enjoyed the water anyway. The beaches have jettys to protect the beachfront. The pool is large with a small water slide and a place for the guests/kids to jump off a manmade cliff. The hotel staff works TIRELESSLY to provide entertainment (including shows at night) and food to their guests. Amelie at the front desk was a priceless resource of information (directions and recommendations) for our adventures and is an AWESOME employee for the resort. Hotel staff member Chimato was awesome with getting guests involved in many of the activities provided by the hotel. (Pool activities/competitions and karaoke night.) They have on site photographers that will take pictures if desired for no fee. They bring iguanas, parrots and monkeys to the hotel and allow the guests to have their pictures takes with the animals. Pictures can be purchased for a reasonable fee. Everything is quiet by 10pm. They have a buffet that was really great at dinner with many varieties of excellent food. If you wanted to eat at a dinner where you are served, you need to make reservations a day in advance for their Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean, and Marina Seafood restaurants. Our favorites were the Italian restaurant run by Victor (Dani boy) Rodriguez, and the Marina Seafood restaurant. All in all, the El Cid was a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your lovely review and for your past visit to our resort.
We are so glad that all your family had an happy holiday with us.
Thank you also for taking the time to post your experience on this site and for your compliments to our staff:-)
We will share your review with all of them and we look forward to serve you all again in another vacation.
Thank you again for your stay with us and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com
Muchas gracias Familia, regards to all!!
West Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My family and I had a great time. We have a 11yr old daughter and she had a good time at the pool. We travel every year and this Aug 2014 we are coming again. I upgraded the room this time because the only complain was that our bed was hard and we could feel the coils. I know I could have the hotel to change us but we are very easy going. Big ++ on keeping the pool area clean and not letting people eat and leaving food everywhere so it could attract animals!! Another suggestion bring some OFF!! Mosquitos at night are super hungry!!!
To Management: if you charge for Wifi, make it for more than one device. Pero todo lo demas esta maravilloso. Gracias y espero tener in buen tiempo este Agosto!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your past visit to our resort and for your review.
We assure you that you will have another wonderful stay with us and now we offer some more services and facilities:-)
Nos vemos en Agosto amigos, hasta pronto!!
Zionsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The hotel is great, good rooms very comfortable. Two swimming pools both very nice. The personnel is great, very helpful, courteous, and fun. We have four children ages 19; 18; 15; and 12. We thought the older ones may be bored, but they all had a lot of fun. There's room service (which we never had before in an all inclusive). It never felt crowded, you can always find a palapa (the straw roofed shelters) at the beach regardless how late you get there. The beach is OK, a little "rocky" but nothing bad, take water shoes and you won't even notice. Highly recommend the seafood restaurant on the marina, and the Italian. The buffet style one is great, always found a table regardless of time of the day. Great breakfast. The Mexican restaurant, we are not big into Mexican food so it wasn't big to us. The Alcazar restaurant, by the lobby good food but took forever to get the food. Stick with the buffets they are really good and can't go wrong. Bars are excellent. There is even a waiter walking the beach offering drinks. By the way the bar on the beach opens at night too and it is a great place to relax and have a drink.
The entertainment team is very funny, good disposition and do a great job.
All in all, great vacation, we spend 12 days and would go back again with no hesitation.

Room Tip: seemed like all buildings were well located and close to everything.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your lovely review and for selecting our resort.
We are so glad to know that all your family spent a nice holiday with us and would love to come back in another occasion.
Thank you also for publishing your review on tripadvisor and for recommending El Cid to others:-)
It will be a pleasure to serve your family again real soon and thank you again for your kind review and for selecting El Cid Resorts.
Esta es su casa familia, best regards!!!
Hopewell, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

What a great vacation. This was my first all-inclusive experience and I had heard some horror stories about all-inclusives having bad food, drinks being watered down, etc but we had none of that at El Cid and would definitely return.

We booked this vacation through a LivingSocial deal so for the money paid it was a great value- I'm not sure what the full price is so I can't speak to the value for that. We stayed 6 nights from Sunday through Saturday and it was only my boyfriend and I so I can't really speak for families either.

Check-in: The hotel representative that checked us in was not all that friendly or informative. Luckily I had read a lot about the hotel before hand or I really don't think I would have known what was included vs not, what times we could eat at what restaurants, how to book reservations for the non-buffet restaurants, etc. We also weren't given the "MegaPass" book we were supposed to receive but I went back later and a very friendly and helpful lady gave it to me. I guess it's just who you get. It wasn't really a negative experience during the trip but a little more information at this point would have been nice. Nobody ever approached us about time shares so that wasn't a problem for us. The room wasn't ready when we got there but we were 2 hours before check in, but they gave us our wristbands and let us go eat and drink while we waited and had a room ready in 20 minutes.

The room: Since we booked through a LivingSocial deal I assume we got the less desirable building- which is to be expected. But even the least desirable building was great for us. We were on the second floor, and had a view of one of the "swamp" areas where there was a resident crocodile. We weren't far from the large pool or the beach or any of the food. Honestly, I can't think of a single building in the place that would really have been bad to be in. The resort is large enough to have a lot to offer but not so large that anything is really too far, no matter where you are. As mentioned in a lot of other reviews the beds are really hard and I like a firm bed but they were even a little hard for me. I can't say I didn't sleep well though so again, not really a huge negative for me. I will say that we were in one of the "luxury" rooms and I'm not sure if this is the case for all the rooms, but there is a very open floor plan- including the bathroom. In fact there isn't really a bathroom just a door leading to a shower, and a door leading to a toilet, and then two open sinks. The doors don't really close fully or lock and are kind of see through so there is little left up to the imagination. It wasn't an issue for me being there with my live-in boyfriend but it may be a little awkward for a family or a couple that is still trying to keep some mystery :) The room had a mini bar that was pretty well stocked and a man came around everyday specifically to stock it. We ran into him one day and he asked which drinks we would prefer it to be stocked with so that was nice. Even the mini bar was free. There was about 6 or 7 large bottles of bottled water outside of the mini fridge and a few in it so we always had bottled water in the room. Room service is free but has a pretty limited menu, we never actually did use it. The room could get a little noisy during the day with music and activities at the pool but most people aren't even in their rooms during the day. Overall, I was happy with the room, for my situation.

The beach: I saw in other reviews that the beach was rocky so we brought water shoes. The beach itself, was not rocky at all. It wasn't until you got about 20 ft out in the water that there were some large rocks. Honestly, the seaweed and trash were a bigger issue for us. They do their best to clean up the beach but the water was another story. It's not really the resort's fault, they did what they could, but we really didn't spend much time in the water. Some other people did though, so maybe I'm just picky. I did talk to another couple who walked up the beach a ways (since all beaches are public), and said it was much cleaner, if you're up for a walk. They did have kayaks that you could take out for free (along with a few other non-motorized water sports) and we did that one morning before it got too hot. Boogey boards could also be rented for free from that stand. Overall, this wasn't a deal breaker for us, the pool was great for us, but if you are looking for somewhere just for the beach, I probably wouldn't pick here. Although, I suspect it's a similar situation at other resorts in the area. They did have lots of palapas, chairs, hammocks, and day beds on the beach and even though some were reserved for platinum members, we never had a problem finding one.

Tipping: When we booked the trip it said all gratuities were included but I still felt the need to tip occasionally. That's just me, I very rarely saw other people tipping so I think you would be fine not to, but if someone went above and beyond, I tipped. I left a little bit each day for the housekeeper with a little extra on our last day. I didn't feel the need to tip when we ate at the buffet restaurant as they did little more than bring our drinks and sometimes that took a little while but if we made a reservation at one of the fancier restaurants I left a little something. I tipped the man who brought our bags to our room and some of the bartenders who went above and beyond.

Restaurants: The buffet is where we ate everyday for breakfast and lunch. I found the hours to be great, never had any issues there. Most nights we made a reservation (done at the concierge desk) for one of the restaurants. We never had any trouble getting a reservation at the time or place we wanted but we usually booked it before breakfast each day. I also don't think the resort was particularly busy at the time that we were there. The Italian was our favorite, then the Mediterranean, then the Mexican, but they all were good and had great service and food. Try the clam chowder in a bread bowl at the Italian place if you go. Gustavo and Daniel were our waiters at the Italian place and both were fantastic. Victor Rodriguez, the manager, greeted us both times and showed us the wine room the first time. I guess the restaurant recently opened so he was trying to make a good impression and my boyfriend loved him, I found him to be friendly but a little too pushy, but not a big deal. The imported wine at the restaurants was not included but all other drinks were. They had some affordably priced bottles though. The restaurants were fancy and we thoroughly enjoyed them. There is also a seafood restaurant at the Marina that is not included that we did not try.

Pools: There is one main pool with the swim up bar, water slide, jump off cliff, waterfalls, bridge, basketball hoop, volleyball net and where all the activities occur. There was a staff that lead things like water aerobics and some competitions each day that we really didn't participate in but kids seemed to love. If you don't like all the noise you can kind of escape at the other end of the pool or go to the infinity pool which seems to cater more to the adult crowd although there were kids in it too. We never had any difficulty finding chairs or a table. There were bar stands throughout the resort, and waiters walking around constantly asking you if they could bring you a drink, we were never without a drink in hand. It was nice that it was all inclusive so you didn't have to worry about bringing money down and having it stolen or even signing a receipt at the bar. The swim up bar had a sign that said adults only but that didn't keep kids from going up and ordering whatever they pleased and the bartenders served them (non-alcoholic drinks). I wouldn't really say this is the resorts fault and honestly it wasn't that annoying to me because it wasn't all that busy when we were there but if it had been busy I probably would have gotten annoyed with all the children. Honestly, throughout the entire stay, the only thing I could think of to really complain about were the other Americans there. I was embarrassed for my country seeing the way other Americans and their rude children behaved towards staff and other guests. I get that you're on vacation but that does not give you the right to treat other people like dirt. It was downright embarrassing. I watched a 13 year old looking kid walk up to the lobby bar in the late evening and demand a drink and a bowl of pretzels, when the bartender turned to get his drink he screamed, and I mean SCREAMED at him, "no, pretzels, do you know what a pretzel is? do you even understand what I am saying?" The bartender kindly made his drink and handed him a bowl of bar pretzels even though the little brat was not supposed to be at the bar and could have easily walked the ten feet to the restaurant off the lobby and gotten food if he was hungry. I suppose this is a whole different review I could go into- one on the lack of discipline of our children- so I will leave it there. Just please, treat the staff kindly. They work incredibly hard and put up with a lot of crap. Our favorite bartender was Santos who worked in the lobby bar. He was a great bartender- incredibly efficient- and also very kind. He talked to us for hours and kept the drinks flowing. Also, all staff speaks English and Spanish which is very convenient for those of us Americans who are too lazy to learn the country's language before visiting (including myself).

We only took one short shopping tour to Playa Del Carmen so I can't speak for any of the tours besides that (why leave when everything is included for free!) There were a lot of tours offered for everything from swim with dolphins to Tulum to XelHa to snorkeling, etc. Be careful though, a lot of tours get paid by shop owners to take you to their shops as part of your tour. I've been on some in Mexico where this was not an issue and I enjoyed the extra stop but this shopping tour included a personal shopping stop at a very expensive jewelry store that we were not informed of before hand, the owner was very angry when we didn't want to buy anything. This was booked through our travel agent and really doesn't reflect on the resort in any way but just a head's up for tours- make sure you know all the stops before you go. If you want to do some souvenir shopping- Playa del Carmen was a fun stop and only a short ride. A board outside the resort said a cab would cost ~$40 to get there.

There is a kid's club for young children to be babysat throughout the day. If you're looking for a couple's getaway and don't mind being around children for some of it, this is a great place. They really try to cater to both families and couples looking to getaway and they do a great job, again, there's not much the resort can do about children whose parents chose not to parent them, but I assume you will get that anywhere you go. There were children in the restaurants when we ate every time and we had no issue with that, I guess its just the few bad ones that ruin it for the good ones. It seemed like there was a lot for children to do so I imagine this is a great place for families to visit. The children stayed occupied and the parents get to relax and drink.

This has been far too long, so I will cut it off here, hopefully it was helpful though. Overall, we had a great vacation, and would return to El Cid again, probably when we have kids though.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that you and your husband spent a relaxed holiday with us and enjoyed your first all inclusive vacation.
Thank you also for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor and for your compliments to our hotel staff:-)
It will be a privilege to serve you both again in a near future and thank you again for your wonderful comments, for your preference and for recognizing our staff.
Warm regards amigos, hasta la vista!!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

paid for club platinum for hand-selected pillows, constant butler service, unending snacks-drinks
on paper this is a great idea, but the reality is if you can never reach your butler or never seen him, guess what, nothing happens unless you get up off your duff and make it happen

upon check in, no one greeted with us an explanation of what you can do here, or provided any info on such. our next day, someone called at 7:30am waking us up to say they would be delighted to do this orientation if we came to the lobby. our orientation was concluded with a time'share sales pitch.

our first evening we booked dinner in the thai restaurant---there was nothing on the menu thai--we suppose thai in mexico means italian

the pool is laid out nice, but is literally spa temperature of almost 95F...forget a cool, refreshing dip, that is unless your idea of fun is swimming in a hot tub

speaking of which, the communal hot tub, right behind our building, has been broken all week
the internet is spotty at best--just plan on having to go into the business office to use one of their terminals each time you need to connect with the outside world

the food is hit and miss, but in general, as other reviews said, the italian themed restaurant is the best quality, best selection, and the most thematically accurate--it actually looks-tastes italian

the beach is beautiful to look at, but we have not seen more than 2 people in it since we have been here--the water is also over 90F but about 10 feet off shore the huge rocks--larger than basketballs sometimes--keeps most people at bay. we knew about this, brought water shoes, and still it was a problem

the coup de gras was booking a tour with the hotels internal tour company for xel'ha--we paid $360 for my wife and daughter and for a full day. we have now almost been waiting 2 hours to get picked up--which is why I have time to share news of our outstanding visit to Marina El Cid, aka The Fabulous Marigold Hotel. No compensation for eating into our trip day, just a sorry senior. I engaged the hotel to help (but this is another company senior) getting me into a sad, depressing, he said / she said.

What the hotel doesnt know is I have major surgery on my leg on Monday--the day after tomorrow. Due to cancer, I will lose my leg and never be able to snorkel normally after today. I confessed this to a hotel manager, Guillermo, who was not able to do anything to help get our family on the trip we paid for.

In hindsight, this trip is very much like the first low'end Carnival cruise I went on in 1992. As then, it was sad and depressing--a circus of untrained people, many uneducated, but meaning well, trying to create an island paradise out of limited resources, and with such a high non'return rate, no incentive to provide impeccable service. I just wish we had done the disney cruise--it was only $500 more for the same period of time.

If you have never traveled outside the US and never been to Mexico, with nothing to compare it to, you might be OK with this trip. But if you know better, your money is best spent elsewhere.

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We sincerely regret that you were not completely satisfied during your past stay with us.
Regarding to the excursion as you commented it was an issue out of our hands but our managers Guillermo and Frederic did their best to correct everything as much as possible.
We are always improving our services and facilities and we thank to all our guests that share their feedback with us:-)
If you ever reconsider to visit our property again feel free to contact me anytime Señor.
Thank you again for your review and for your preference and please accept our apologies again.
Good luck with your surgery amigo!!
Godley, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We returned from our trip to El Cid a couple weeks ago. At first, che k in was very "icy". The gentleman was not personable at all. When I told my husband what building we were in he was happy. He went back to the desk and a young lady helped him. She was extremely nice! Offerdd an upgrade for a discounted rate, gave free wifi (that only worked in the lobby), and gave us a coupon book. Our room was amazing! Huge balcony with a hot tub and a view thag was just gorgeous.

We booked an 8 hour fishing trip at the marina on the Rapture with Andreas and Caesar. Best fishing trip ever! Our kids had a blast. I caught an 82" sail fish! All together we caught 19 fish, the most of all the charters that day. That night the marina restaurant cooked the Dorado that my daughter caught and it was delicious! We also booked a snorkeling trip on a catamaran through the marina that was fantastic!

The buffett was not bad. However, we didnt like that we had to make reservations at the other restaurants. One night we ordered room service and never received it. Then tried again for lunch another day and promply we received it. However, the next morning the tray was still out on the stoop, we had to call for them to pick it up.

Cleaning service was ok. Except we had to keep asking for towels and wash cloths. A sign in the bathrooms asks yoju to hang up towels or put on the floors to be replaced. We would hang up our towels, go out for the day and come back to clean towels, which was great but never enough.

I wasnt crazy about the beach but still enjoyed it. We were also surprised the resort did not offer free shuttles to Playa or Cancun, other resorts we've visited did. Also, when we called for bell service to check out, after 30 minutes we gave up cause no one showed up. When we got down to the front and told the guys, they just said oh sorry. My husband was not happy.

All in all it was a good trip. Perfect family resort! I would stay again my husband says he would not. He is very big on customer service and we had too many mishaps for him.

Room Tip: Always ask for all amenities and location to beach and pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that your family spent a nice holiday with us excepting for the small details that you described on your review.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on this site and for your feedback that is really helpful for us to improve our services and facilities:-)
Thank you again for your nice review and for selecting our resort.
We hope to serve you soon amigos, warm regards!!

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!