“Another Great Stay, With A Hiccup” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

You added Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard El Cid Unidad 15, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 55% Off
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Camrose, Canada
“Another Great Stay, With A Hiccup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

El Cid Review (2)
This was our second visit to El Cid this year, having been for two weeks in February and now, for a week in December. It is a measure of how much we enjoyed our first visit that, despite staying at many all inclusives, this is the first time we have ever returned to one. I reviewed our first trip on Trip Advisor earlier this year and so will mainly compare this time to last.

A number of people commented re: the state of the road. There was nothing to be concerned about in our trip. The roads are good up to the turnoff by Puerto Morelos and the 3km or so from there did involve slowing from time to time to allow one way traffic around a few rough or water filled areas, but nothing drastic. I doubt whether it added more than 5 minutes to our trip time.
On arrival, around 7pm, we were efficiently checked in. No upgrade was offered and we didn't ask for one as we wanted to experience “a regular room”. Unlike last time, we were not directed to the timeshare people and they did not phone our room during our stay.

We were allocated a room in building 18, overlooking the lagoon. The room was quite spacious and contained two double beds and a murphy bed which we didn't need, being only the two of us. The room had a more contemporary feel to it than our previous ocean front room, having features such as double raised sinks. We also experienced the frosted glass doors on the toilet and shower which I had read about, but hadn't experienced before. The toilet area was smaller and the shower area much smaller than building 17, though adequate for their function. The glass doors permitted a hazy image of the occupant and the approximate 1-2” gap between the door side and the jam took a little getting used to. Since we are an older married couple, this was not a large issue, but I would imagine some family groups may be troubled by the amount of intimacy it affords. The room was clean, had excellent maid service, not so hit and miss with towels as previously, and had occasional turn down service. The fridge was well stocked and restocked with soft drinks, beer and water.

Some people have mentioned a “smell” in buildings 18 and 19. It was true that, occasionally, there was a swampy smell when nearing the buildings. However, it was not strong and was intermittent. There was no smell in the rooms. We actually enjoyed our balcony view over the lagoon. It was private and we enjoyed watching the wildlife. Quite often a great blue heron came and hunted right in front of the room and, one morning, we saw an American bittern stalking through the waterside vegetation.
On the discussion of wildlife, if you want to see the areas crocodile (Fred), he appears to have taken up a sunning station on some rocks on the side of the lagoon in front on building 19. (Down from first large white pole from the bridge). He was there consistently in the mornings 8:30- 9:30ish. He seems to be about 5-6 feet in length.

There is fairly extensive building on going at the north end of the resort. However, we would have been unaware of it, if we hadn't known it was there and gone to look. I am unsure as to whether that would be the case for occupants of buildings 11 or 12 which are much closer. The majority of the resort is completely unaffected.

The resort seemed far less full than when we were there in February and, though I commented before regarding having no issues finding loungers or palapas, this time we were literally spoilt for choice at any time of day and we moved around frequently as the sun moved or we just wanted a change.

The food was again good with plenty of variety in the main buffet. The restaurants were easy to book. We just went to the concierge in the lobby and asked for what we wanted the next day and were quickly accommodated. The Marina was much as described last time, but we found we enjoyed the Alcazar much more then previous and went two times. I can confirm that the menu of the Alcazar, and probably the other restaurants, changes daily, being on a 7-8 day cycle. Be aware that the menu shown in front of the Alcazar is not always that of the day of display. The staff, and perhaps the concierge, will be able to show you that of the night you are interested in.

The bars have a number of international brands of liquor. However, if you don't ask for it by name you will probably get some inferior brand. E.g. There is a big difference between that taste of a rum punch made with Bacardi and just a rum punch, which often gets some brand that is not on display. The bar staff will willing give you what you ask for. The music is the lobby bar was good. The saxophonist was excellent and the band and vocalist seemed to have moderated the volume slightly from our last visit.

We did have two issues on our vacation this time. My previous review stated how impressed I was when I reported a maintenance issue to the front desk. This time however, the response to our request was horrendous. Our issue was one common to many resorts and hotels, the key cards to our room stopped working. I will provide the management of the hotel with the details in a private email, but briefly, resolving it involved 4 separate trips up to the front desk and back. If you know El Cid and the steps etc involved, you will know that is no mean undertaking, especially when approaching 70 years of age. We finally had to become a little irate with the front desk staff, which is not my style, to get the matter resolved, after spending two hours walking, explaining and waiting. The rest of the staff were the usual helpful, happy people which we had experienced before and appeared better trained in their roles than many other resorts.

The other issue involved Best Day Travel who provided our transportation to and from the airport and whom I complimented last time. Travel from the airport to the hotel was fine, but when it came time for pick up, it did not arrive. Despite myself and other passengers going to the rep. on site once it was 15 minutes late, and then in increasing frequency thereafter, we were fobbed off with “no problem” and also no checking. After it was over an hour late, we commandeered a BT van who was dropping off, but not meant to pick us up. The rep suddenly appeared cell phone in hand saying, “I don't know what happened to your pick up”. The van quickly took us to the airport and we were met and hustled to the check in which had been kept open for us, though whether this was Best Days or WestJets doing we neither knew or cared. However, it all turned out well, but the stress was unnecessary.

Despite these two problems, we once again had a great relaxing holiday at El Cid. I thoroughly recommend it for families with young children and couples wanting a quiet spell of sun and sand without the party atmosphere. Will we go back? We did once. I would again. My wife however, has still to change her initial reaction to the room key fiasco of “never again!”

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic review and for your second stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a great stay with us excepting for the issue that you kindly commented on your kind review.
Thank you so much for taking my phone call last night, it was really nice talking to you and discuss your review, as we commented we are taking some actions to correct that issue as much as possible)
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your wife for third time real soon and thank you so much for your comments and for your second stay, amigos.
Happy holidays and see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I read a bunch of reviews before I got to this hotel and I couldn't disagree more with the people who gave it bad reviews it's a great resort and was a great experience. The resort was very well maintained the pool was awesome. The food was great, grounds were beautiful and the staff was very helpful and friendly especially in the restaurants and around the bars. Shout out to all the girls in the Kids Club they took great care of my son and he had a blast. I went with my wife and 2 very young kids and we enjoyed every minute of the trip, I loved the pool the beach was great, there was reef on the sand but they can't control that and if you found that you had to complain about that then you really have a problem enjoying yourself because that is just being picky. The rooms were very nice my only suggestion is that since they do have room service that they maybe have staff check each floor every hour for plates and food left out in front of the room that caused bugs, but the tropical setup which makes the place so beautiful will attract bugs regardless. I really wouldn't change anything it was the best resort I've stayed at and I will for sure never go to another resort if I go back to Riviera Maya. Another huge shout out to the staff around the pool they tried really hard to have fun activities for everyone and they were energetic and genuinely wanted you to have a good time. Loved it can't wait to get back.

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that your family enjoyed our services and facilities.
Thank you also for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com and for recognizing our staff for their nice service and attitude:)
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your nice review and for your stay with us.
Esta es su casa familia, kind regads y Feliz Navidad!!!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

stayed at this hotel around mid august so its a bit late comment.
First of all overall expression was great altough as a bartender i highly reccomend a 5 star hotel to make better choices with their liquor collection at the bar for all inclusive. Staff was great everybody helped as much as they could. Especially m'ich. Cool and energetic guy ! probably one of the reasons why people go back. And if the food had just a little better upgrade on their quality and variety im sure it can compute with the businesses in Cancun. Beach was alright but way too many corals and seaweed. Thanks for the experience thou !

Room Tip: Ocean view is a great choice. especially waking up to that view in the morning for those who are int...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your great review and for selecting our resort.
It was so nice to read that your family had a happy stay in our resort and enjoyed the attention of our staff mainly from Mitch from our activities team.
We always share the reviews with our team and thank you so much for your compliment to them.
It would be really nice to serve your family again in a near future and many thanks for your great comments and for Selecting our resort.
Esta es su casa amigos, Muy Feliz Navidad!!
Novato CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed at the Marina El Cid from 12/5-13th. I had read most of the reviews and had called ahead to request a quiet room, feather cover for the mattress, ocean view, non smoking. Wow did that phone call pay off off. We were in Building 14 which was a Platinum Club building. We did not join the Club because we did not need the room upgrade. The room was clean and the maid service was slow but thorough.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We asked and received every item or service we requested in a very timely manner. The staff seems to really enjoy their job. They come around in the evening to invite us to the nightly events which helped guide us to partake in them. The yoga/water sport young man was so enthusiastic that he endeared himself to us for his attitude.
I am a very discerning- some call picky eater. I was completely satisfied in the quality and selection of the food. The fish was fresh and expertly prepared. The vegetables were cooked perfectly. Fruit was abundant and ripe. They even have vegetable smoothies! Check out the coconut ice cream!
The beach was beautiful and I never experienced any problems with seaweed or rocks. There are rocks in the ocean but it is an ocean! The facilities at the beach were plentiful and nicely arranged. The pool was spectacular and kept very clean.
The restaurants were excellent. The fancy Marina was not as good as the other two so do not feel badly that you only get to dine there one time. Victor in the Mexican restaurant was awesome. Arabalo (spelling) in the main buffet remembered us and took extra care to make certain we had want we needed. He gave me two bracelets the morning we left! Sweet gesture.
The time share folks were respectful and took no for an answer.
This was one of the best vacation I have ever had. I felt welcomed and taken care of in a genuine manner.
The resort is large enough that the noise of the many children never infringed on our adult time.
This is a great place for a fabulous vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for what you need and want
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your fantastic review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your husband had a relaxed holiday with us and enjoyed our resort and the friendly service of our hotel staff mainly from Alvaro and Victor:)
Thank you also for sharing your experience on tripadvisor, amigos.
It will be a pleasure to share your lovely review with our staff and to serve you again in another vacation:)
Esta es su casa amigos and thank you so much for your preference and for your comments. Season's greetings amigos!!
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I just returned from a five day stay with my 11 year old daughter. We have traveled all over the Caribbean and Mexico and found the El Cid to be a good time.

Location: El Cid is located by the Marina on a good stretch of private beach. It is tucked away and about 30 minutes from Cancun and the Hotel Zone. We enjoyed this because it was secluded and private.

Beach: El Cid has a great beach and the waves are perfect for Boogie Boarding. They have Boogie Boards as well as Kayaks that you can rent for free right on the beach. We spent hours every day in the ocean riding the waves. They are the perfect size. The sand on the beach is soft and we didn't need water shoes to play in the ocean.

Resort/Pools: El Cid has a gigantic pool that is actually more like a series of pools that connects the entire resort. It is delightful! There is also a water-slide and a rock dive pool that was very entertaining. Fun games and activities at the pool each day.

Rooms: Our room was awesome. We had a huge shower and two great beds. Maid service came twice a day and kept the room nice. Yes we had some bugs and yes we even had some room lizards...but we were in Mexico!! It is part of the charm...if you don't want some of the Mexican Charm than visit Hawaii or Florida for beach:) We found the critters delightful!

Food: The food was good. We ate at all three reservation restaurants and found the steak house the best followed by Seafood (Marina) and finally the authentic Mexican restaurant. There are also two buffets open for both breakfast and lunch and one for dinner. We ordered room service one night and it was yummy, quick, and huge! Tons of authentic Mexican food which was different than what we were used to...which again..is why we went to Mexico.

Overall we had a blast. We did have some rain 2 days (Traveled December 8-13) but it didn't slow us down to much. The resort is great small size and everything is within a quick walking distance. Beach is situated right next to pools which are situated right next to rooms.

We would surely come again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your excellent review and for choosing our resort.
We are so glad that all your family had a fabolous holiday with us and enjoyed our facilities and the service of our hotel staff.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and for recommending us:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again in a near future and thank you again for your great comments and mainly for selecting El Cid Resorts.
Muchas gracias amigos, Happy Holidays!!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My family of 4 (kids ages 6 & 7) stayed at this resort from Dec. 7-14. We had an amazing time, but we won't be back.

Pros:
Check in: Quick and easy. We were approached by the timeshare people, but we declined, and they never bothered us again.

Grounds: Absolutely beautiful grounds and landscaping!

Room: We booked a junior suite with a murphy bed. It wasn't huge, but we had plenty of room for our family of four.

Activities: This is a great resort for families. There are a ton of activities offered throughout the day. Our kids only went to the kids club once for an hour to try it out. They had fun, but wanted to spend their time with us. All the kids seemed to be having a great time, and the staff does a great job of keeping them involved. At the beach, you could sign out boogie boards, kayaks, etc. Lots of fun!

Misc:
*Plenty of chairs available at the pool and beach, never had a problem finding seats at any time of the day.
*Yummy drinks
*Very easy to make reservations for restaurants. We were always able to get times that worked for us.
*Ordered room service twice, both times it arrived within 30 minutes

Cons:
Food: The food here ranged from terrible to average. This is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't return to this resort. The buffet was disgusting and very crowded. They also don't staff well enough for the number of people, and we often didn't get our drinks until we had almost finished our meal. The ala carte restaurants were slightly better than the buffet, but still not very good, however, the service was much better. Although we could usually find something edible, there were a couple of days when I was hungry all day. Also worth mentioning is that at the ala carte restaurants, there were mostly seafood options. I don't eat any seafood, and I usually only had one meal option.

Pool maintenance: The pool was huge and very nice in appearance, but not in good repair at all. The tiles on the edges are very sharp and need to be replaced. My boys both cut up their hands and feet several times throughout the week. You can tell that they've tried to repair the tiles in multiple places, but it's not good enough.

Beach: If you are a beach person, this is not the resort for you! We knew before going that the beach wouldn't be that great, so it wasn't much of an issue. We still had fun boogie boarding, jumping waves, and building sand castles.

Overall, it was a great trip. I would have been disappointed if my husband and I had been traveling alone, but our kids had a blast, so it was worth it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you had a nice vacation with us with the exceptions that you commented on your review.
We try to offer something for all tastes and we are always improving our restaurants and services, we hope to have the honor to serve you again in another occasion.
Thank you again for your preference and for your review:)
Feliz Navidad Familia, kind regards!!
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My family just returned today and spent over a week at El Cid. I travel internationally several times a year and have stayed in many same cost and level of expectation resorts. I am not picky and I am never rude. I appreciate other countries allowing me to visit there's. We went here with me expecting home town buffet/ golden corral standard food and very aware we were not staying at a 5 star. Clean rooms, no bugs but expecting average level entertainment and activities throughout whole day for the kids ages 12-19.

Upon check-in we were able to upgrade to a bigger room giving us bedrooms for an additional $50 a night which I found fair. We were located in room 1102 which was directly closest to new construction which I am proud to say I was impressed we had no disturbance from at all and they do work day and night and have large volumes of workers. We booked with a promotion giving us a $600 savings book, however as we watched every person walk in they also received and the so called discounts were ridiculous and useless. Very tiny savings on different hotel options only if you spent huge amounts on spa and fishing and jewelry. We were immediately given to a worker that was said to be the info desk which in actuality was a time share rep who begged and begged us to attend a info seminar. I was then approached and begged every single day and called in room every single day and when walking the lobby by one and seen and talked to other people who were roped into these for hours.

This hotel is great for children ages 3-9 approximately with a kids club where many drop there children off at wake up and pick them up at 10 at night, I seen excellent staff interactions throughout day with those children. The couple of activities throughout the day are a very young crowd other than aerobics. The night activities are very small child centered, a magician which was terrible and other events my kids just didn't even bother going down for anymore at night as they are teens and young adults and these were aimed at such a younger crowd. we attended a couple but left after other groups of adults heckling and such teh programs as they were so rough. There is music by a woman singing in the bar lobby each night for around 1 hour and then some nights a waiter sings for awhile. Wifi is available for $15 a day or $60 a week but you cannot get it inside your rooms, you can get a week signal which frequently drops off if sitting outside near pool and you have to pay $60 per item that you want to log on.

It got dark around 4:30 each night and food is only available in the restaurants during set time slots with dinner at 6:30 with a large block in between lunch service there is no snack bar or pool or beach food at all. The pool is huge and has a great rock jumping area and slide. The pool itself never gets deeper than around 4.5 feet. Breakfast was fantastic lots of options home made omelets , smoothies, bacon, baked goods, sausage , potatoes, pancakes. Lunch is even better with a made to order meat and sea food grilling area and many other options. Dinner however is why there is no chance we will ever return here, my family spent every night going to bed hungry. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they can have such a great lunch and even if all they did was offer that at dinner it would be outstanding. We are simple eaters, meat and potatoes folks. We ate salads and fruit for dinner every night and it was awful the limited offerings. We ordered room service every night as well to try and fill in the hunger but the menu includes just a few items and they are rough tasting and sometimes taking over 1 hour to be delivered. We did eat at each of the reservation rest. which was quite easy even at full capacity to get in. We found dinner food of equal quality to lacking buffet at Dinner and seen many many people sending full plates un eaten back in to kitchen.

We had some maintenance needs occur and found it quite difficult when we called that we had a lizard in the shower the man came in and flushed the toilet and we tried showing him by pointing to shower and he said no habla english. We called as a large vase fell off a wall when we pulled down the bed and broke on my foot. Despite the vase lying on floor maintenance thought we needed screws tightened on the bed. Each time this happened I walked all the way to front desk to speak to desk or concierge and they made calls in spanish to get the items handled. David at Concierge was awesome, Adriana (very pregnant) at front desk was always fabulous, Angelica at front desk was VERY rude on every occasion we had contact. Bell hops primarily also did not know English nor the head bell hops, not even enough to tell us how to get to something in town. Housekeeping also knew zero English so asking for extra pillows she had no idea what I was asking and i went to several to ask.

We went into town for all of our activities including daily massages , fishing, snorkeling etc.. as there wasn't a single price in town even as high as half what the hotel wanted to do things.The adults and teens in our group were very bored in the evenings and often went to bed early and hungry. I want to caution any parents going that are allowing your children non alcoholic versions of drinks exp. strawberry daiquiri TASTE YOUR KIDS DRINKS FIRST WHEN THEY GET THEM, my 12 year old was often given alcohol versions when ordering themselves and I could hear them ordering non they also had different colored bracelets noting they were not of age on them. My kids did get bites from something each of them that slept on the fold out couch, my ones that did not sleep on it did not get them and upon returning home they have been diagnosed and bed bugs and we were prescribed an antibiotic cream for them and special laundry and baggage treatment instructions. Those of us in actual beds did not have this issue.

All in all I would go back with only young kids if not for the food at dinner scenario.

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We regret if you were not completely satisfied during your past stay with us.
Thank you also for your positive comments:)
We are always improving our service with the feedback from our guests and be sure that we will work on the points that you kindly detailed on your review.
We would love to see you back in another occasion to offer you a better experience in our resort.
Thank you again for your preference and for your review amigos.
Happy Holidays familia, muchas gracias!!

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!