“One of the best resorts we have been too!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

You added Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard El Cid Unidad 15, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 45% Off
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Georgetown, South Carolina
“One of the best resorts we have been too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Excellent service! Resort is well run, and everyone is very friendly. Excellent for families with children. Lots of things for the kids to do! Will be returning 7/19/2013- 7/23/2013. Julio, and Carlos, Allen, we will see you soon. Had a great time!!!!!!!! My room was ocean front, 24 hr room service. I am very particular about where we stay, and I have NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL? EVERTHING WAS GREAT!!!! THAT'S WHY I AM RETURNING!!!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. I save that secret for myself.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your awesome review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a great vacation with us and that you are coming back next summer.
Thank you also for complimenting our Platinum staff for their nice service and attention and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any help with your future reservations.
Thank you again for your preference familia:)
See you soon amigos, muchas gracias!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
Springfield, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We recently went to El Cid to get married; we were there for 10 days. We had a group of 12 people.
Platinum Club: I was very disappointed with Platinum club (don’t pay extra) I received better service calling the front desk and room service. We asked to change our room and Nayla said she could not help. We felt that the customer service in the platinum club was very lacking and that they generally did not want to help. I then went to the front desk where I met Palo (unsure how to spell). He was able to upgrade us with no problem. I had to request a robe and slippers 4 times before they got delivered to our new room. Never received the news paper and on the last day no one came to get our luggage with I arranged the day before in the platinum club.
Cleanliness: The grounds were kept very clean and the maid in building 17; floor 3 was amazing!
Wedding: I was beautiful! We got a call at 4:33 saying the minister was going to leave! We were supposed to be ready at 4:30…no leeway. When we got to the jetty we found out the minster left to do another wedding at a resort next door. So eventually he came back 45 min later. So during that time we took our wedding photos and the photographers the hotel has were wonderful and captured great shots! I actually turned out to be better timing with the sunset. They put rose petals on our bed and filled the Jacuzzi tub with bubbles and flowers and left a bottle of champagne. It was a very nice touch. Melina worked so very hard and we were very happy that everything turned out in the end
Time share: Yes they are there and call your room until you see them. Just let them know right off the bat you are not interested and they will leave you alone
This is defiantly a kid resort. There was stroller parking when you entered the buffet. This was not a problem because we have a 15 month old. The pool was huge and great. The slide was way too rough and tore up my dad’s elbows. Be careful you fly down it super fast. The kid area in the pool was perfect for our 15 month old and there were so many other little ones for him to play with.

Room Tip: 376-1; building 17 floor 3. A beautiful view of the ocean and a hot tub on the balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for choosing our resort to celebrate your wedding.
We are so glad that everything was perfect that day and that Melina was really helpful and corteous.
Thank you also from bringing to our atention the details with the Platinum service, I will share your feedback with Julieta, our Platinum manager to reinforce our service on that area.
We would like to thank you again for celebrating your wedding with us and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.
We wish you a lot of joy and happines together amigos,muchas gracias!!
North Hollywood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Marina El Cid! My husband and I brought our 4 yr old son and met my Brother and Sister in law there. 5 of us total.
PROS:
First, I have rave about the Kid's Club they have there! The care givers were all wonderfully nice and attentive to our 4 yr old! At first we were shy about bringing him there...to be honest, their brochure talks too much about activities that are geared more toward older kid-activities, so we were a bit nervous about the idea of Kayaking, etc. After we actually stopped in to the Club house, we figured out there were all sorts of things for our son to do. Swim, arts, activity games, a playground...and best of all, he made friends really fast to hang with! By mid-week we felt really comfortable signing him in and out whenever it was convenient. He had a MUCH better time with the other kids in the club then hanging with us adults who wanted to just sit and relax by the pool with a good book and a drink! NOTE: Be sure to bring $ to tip the club house staff at the end of the week! Everyone else gets tips there, these people should be the first you budget for. I only hope we tipped enough. We didn't put him in every day we were there and only had him in on average 3 hrs at most, so we felt $115 USD by the end of the week was fair. They will split it btwn the 4-5 of them we expect.

The hotel was a great size...not too big, not small at all! I liked how close it was to town in case we wanted to switch it up with dinner/lunch menus. Of course the all-inclusive food was just that. You can't expect much with mass quantities of food being prepared, but it wasn't bad. If you like fish, I have to say I was really impressed with it. Very fresh.

Another thing that stuck out for me was how clean the bathroom facilities were. They obviously clean them often. Love that. And they payed attention to the cleaning of the pool as well. Never had any questionable "things" floating in the pool. The temperature of the pool was a tad chilly, but it sure did feel good on those warmer days of 80 degrees F.

Loved our two-bedroom jr. suit. I think that's what it was called? Very roomy, had a hot tub on our huge balcony (which came in handy since our 4 yr old doesn't fancy showers) and had all the essentials.

Cons:
Wasn't happy about the "Adult Area" only having a hot tub. What's up with that? It was always full with people and who wants to soak in a hot tub when it's humid and 80 degrees?
The beach was great. I liked how they raked the seaweed every morning.

Wasn't a fan about the activities director commentating over the intercom when it came to Activity TIME. I can understand if it's for like 10-15 mins or so, but when you are trying to relax by the pool or beach, who really wants to hear the screaming
for longer then 20 mins? Annoying.

Ants in our bedroom. I didn't complain about this b/c #1 I figured there probably wasn't much to do about it and #2 didn't want them to spray something harsh on our lungs. Just figured it came with the territory...like the little lizards in the room now and then.

Spa- Really? $150 USD for a 50 minute massage? Come on. We couldn't justify that. They would make a killing if they had someone offering $1/min massages pool side. I'd pay $20/day for a 20 minutes massage!
Overall we had a great time there in Puerto Morelos. I'm sure I'm forgetting alot more pros, but my brain is still on vacation.

Wish it had free wi-fi there.

PS- If you are one of those people who wakes at the crack of dawn to place towels on chairs to save them, YOU SUCK! Especially when you AREN'T even using them half the day! Drove us crazy to not be able to find 4 sun chairs together. Many times we couldn't even find 2 chairs together! BS. The hotel should have a policy against this. Sheesh!

Room Tip: Two-Bedroom junior suite was awesome in bldg 17, 4th floor! BEST view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that all your family enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you also for your suggestion that are really important for us and so useful.
We already shared your comments with our kids club staff, it was so nice that you recognized them:)
Thank you again for your comments and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.com amigos, we hope to see you soon.
Hasta la vista familia!!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I came here in January over MLK weekend with a group of 9 girls (we had 3 rooms). We all purchased the all-inclusive package for about $800 including airfare from the Chicago, which is not a bad deal for 3 nights.

The pros:
- Excellent service
- Lots of chairs available at the pool
- Cheap

The cons:
- Lots of families and activities (seemed like a cruise ship almost)
- In the middle of nowhere so cannot really do anything off of the property without hiring a private driver to go to Cancun or Playa del Carmen
- Food wasn't great and no restaurants on the property with a view of the ocean
- Internet cost extra money per day and was very annoying/spotty in the rooms

This might be a good place for a family trip or older people, but I wouldn't come back again if I was looking for fun or nightlife.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear amigas:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We sincerely regret that you were not completely satisfied with our resort.
We are a family hotel but we also do our best to offer some activities for adults only.
Our hotel is situated between Cancun and Playa del Carmen and on those cities there are a lot of clubs and bars , we have our disco nights on our Marina restaurant from tuesday to saturday.
We hope to serve you and your friends in another occasion, maybe with your families and thank you again for sharing your comments and for your preference.
Best regards, amigas!!
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our experience at this hotel is jaded by the horrible service! When we arrived, our room was not ready so we hung out in the bar in the lobby with our sleeping 2 year old. We asked if we could get some food and were told yes. We went and got some chips and guacamole from the buffet and proceeded to eat. We were YELLED at 4 times before the manager finally came and took them away telling us we should not be eating in the lobby. Really?! We paid for the signature club (or whatever the upgrade was) and our service from them was ok but the rest of the club sucked! Try to order a drink poolside, try to find an empty beach chair and... the food was horrible. Not recommended at all. Much better places to spend your money in Mexico.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your review and for your past stay with us.
We sincerely regret that our service did not exceeded your expectations.
When it is possible we give the rooms before 3:00 PM but in high season sometimes we can not give the rooms before.
There is always a manager in charge if our guests need some assistance or would like to express any inconsistences with the service received.
Please feel free to contact us anytime amigos to give us some more details and thank you again for sharing your experience and for your stay with us.
Warm regards amigos and we are at your service anytime!!
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a wonderful resort but it does have its pros and cons. More pros then cons though. We had our destination wedding at this resort and were very pleased with the wedding coordinators Deyanira and Melina. Melina was a little easier to converse with over email because of the language barriers and she was the one we dealt with primarily during our stay. She did a wonderful job with the coordination of the ceremony and reception and almost everything went off without an issue and looked beautiful! The one thing that did not go so well was not her fault but she did a great job at resolving the issue. The issue was that there were a ton of Mosquitos in the garden area when we arrived and my guests were getting eaten alive but as soon as I told her about this and asked if there was anything they could do about it they had an outdoor fan blowing and within 5-10 minutes the Mosquitos were completely gone. I know it couldn't have just been the fan but whatever else they did worked out well. This is an absolutely beautiful resort and my guests gave it phenomenal reviews. We had about 30 guests and alot of them commented about how it was one if the most beautiful they had ever seen. We chose to say our vows on the Jetty and it turned out to be a phenomenally romantic setting. I couldn't have dreamed of our wedding day turning out any better or more special than it did.
We did not use the recommended onsite photographer but instead paid a little extra to bring in our own. We used Sascha Gluck a local to that area and he and his assistant were top notch! Our wedding photos are out of this world. He truly captured almost every second of our day so beautifully!
Aside from the wedding our stay was pretty good. The food was really good although and there were lots of choices. We were there during the off season so it wasn't too crowded. I was kind of upset though that there were no classes at the gym since it was off season because I really could have used a few yoga classes to center myself and stop stressing over wedding stuff.

Overall this is a great resort to visit but you should know that it is more of a family resort as there is close to no bar nightlife. There were tons of trips you could schedule off the resort through for the day and the next time we visit we'll definitely try and take advantage of that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for celebrating your wedding in our resort.
We are so glad that everything was perfect on that important day and that the service provided by Melina and Deyanira was corteous and efficient.
Thank you also for sharing your review with us and for recommending our resort:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another occasion and thank you again for giving us the opportunity to celebrate your wedding with us.
We wish you the best together amigos:)
Yosemite National Park, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My family stayed at the El Cid February 2-7 and had a great stay. This is our 5th time to the Cancun area. Reading all the reviews prior to our vacation had me leary about the time share folks and what may lie ahead when we arrived. Plan your vacation to what you want. This is a family resort, it is off the beaten path. This is not in Cancun!
My wife researched our vacation for months and wanted a family resort and the El Cid delivered. We arrived in the late afternoon and checked into the hotel, in reading prior reviews the hotel did not have the room we requested. We were upgraded to a family room with a king sized bed and a murphy bed. This was fine as it over looked the pool area and lagoon below. We were driven to our room by the bellboy and we started our vacation.
We never encountered any time share hassles as others have mentioned. I've been hounded before at other resorts. There are folks at the front counter area that maybe time share people, but I never acted interested and was never approached. The next day my wife did talk to one of those folks. They were there for information regarding the resort which was helpful. The food was ok...its a buffett! the kids always found something to eat and the menu changed daily.
The hotel grounds and pool area are great. The staff is engaging and there are alot of activities at the pool. It is a clean resort and staff are always around to clean. The beach is a little small for my taste but it was nice. They do clean up seaweed and a truck drives on the beach in the morning. Not a big deal to me but some maybe put off by that. It is a real nice resort off the beaten path, great for familys. My family plans to go back. Thanks El Cid. Not related to the El Cid, airport advice. Once you arrive in Cancun go trough customs and directly to your transportaton. Do not stop inside, you will have people trying to sell you tours like mad. Enjoy your stay and relax.

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your family had a great stay in our resort and that you would like to come back in a near future.
Thank you also for your good comments and for complimenting our hotel staff for their nice service.
We hope to serve you soon amigos and thank you again for selecting El Cid for your family vacation and for sharing your review on tripadvisor.
Muchas gracias familia, hasta pronto:)

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!