“Was more than we expected” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd El Cid Mza 1, Lote 1 | Unidad 15, Sm 3, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Delhi, Canada
“Was more than we expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I traveled to El Cid during the week of Jan 19 - 27. We read thr trip advisor reports and decided to try it. Well we were very happy with the resort. The checkin was fast and freindly, I think it took us 20 min during check and arriving to our room. the resort is very clean and wel kept. The room was excellent (Spa room, which we highly recommend). The food was excellent with a large varity to choose from. If you go away hungry it's your on fault, there's something for everyone. Dedire was an exellant waiter. The beach area was also very good, always kept clean, and the waiters would come out to the beach to serve you. Pool was clean very good. All in all a very good resort, would definetly go back.

Room Tip: Spa rooms are very good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a nice vacation with us.
Thank you also for sharing your review and for recognizing Didier our server on the buffet restaurant for his nice attitude and spirit of service.
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your husband in another special occassion and thank you again for your nice review and for sharing your experience with us:)
Warm regards amigos!

2,876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
London, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the resort. This was our first time in Mexico, and we look forward to vacationing there again.

Due to our flight, we arrived very late at the hotel (1 am), but we were pleasantly surprised to find out that room service was available 24 hrs a day. We immediately ordered some sandwiches and fruit, and enjoyed the fruits & wine that were waiting for us in our room when we arrived. We were initially going to book a standard room, but decided to book the Honeymoon Suite (we were in Building 18), as it came with an in-room jacuzzi, as well as upgrades to the Platinum Club service. We found that we enjoyed the upgrade.

The room was really nice, very clean, and tastefully decorated, and looked out onto the pool area, with a view of the ocean between buildings. The balcony was great place to sit and watch everything below. Our only complaint about the room would be the the bathroom area. The toilet is behind a glass door, and there is quite the echo in there, and sound travels really, really well into the room. You'll get to know your partner a lot better, so just be aware of this. Other than this, the bed was a little firm, but we did not mind it. The room had a safe, was well stocked with toiletries, and had drinks in the mini fridge (which I thought was fantastic).

The entire resort was really clean, and well maintained. Really nice grounds. The pool area was nice, although there can be a lack of pool chairs on hot days, so get there early. We spent ample time on the beach, and on the beach beds when they were available. We liked the area on the south side, as it also had a beach bar. Angel makes fantastic mojitos, and I hope he will be there next time we visit. The beach can be a little rocky in places, but not too bad. We also enjoyed the palapas and hammocks on the beach.

The food was quite good. Our favourite was the main buffet (Alhambra). We ate the majority of our meals there. We had breakfast a couple of times at the restaurant by the pool, as we really liked the smoothies & juices there. We ate at Alcazar once, and it was good. There is an anti-pasto bar which is quite good. My appetizers were really good, and I had a fish entree for dinner. It was good, but parts of the fish were cold, so it may have been cooked earlier and then reheated. We also had a dinner at the Marina restaurant. Appetizers were good, but our salmon entrees were overcooked and little dry. I was expecting more seafood choices than were there. Overall I expected better entrees out of the a la carte restaurants, but they were decent. I enjoy having 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning, and sometimes I had to ask for more coffee, although sometimes there was fantastic service. Overall, service was good, and no real complaints at all. Mexican night at the buffet was a little bit of a disappointment...but perhaps I had set my expectations too high. I had hoped for fantastic Mexican food, it was still decent, but not quite what I expected. I also hoped to find lots of mangos at the buffet, but they were quite rare. Maybe they were not in season? I realize that resorts have to cater to the general public, but I didn't go to mexico for burgers, fries and pizza (which were options on some of the nights).

We like having access to the platinum lounge, and I think we would get the same room again next time. There was no complementary wi-fi on the resort that I know of, and being able to check emails, etc., was great. We would visit the lounge a couple times a day, to get cappuccinos, have a drink, a snack, or use the computers. We also had better service in booking restaurant reservations in the lounge vs. main lobby. Tip: there are 3 desks across from the main desk, go to the middle one for reservations, etc. The other 2 are for time-shares.

Which brings me to my next point. This hotel operates with time-shares as part of its business model. There is a permanent (and large) sales center in the main building. Some people like time shares, but I've been put off by aggressive sales tactics in the past. We were able to avoid any time share sales pitches on this trip, mostly by our late check in, being out and about all day, and not answering the phone. Just be aware that people will try to sell you on the time share. Some people really like the time share model, but I'm not one of those people.

The hotels location is a little secluded, and not near other resorts. This was a bit of a pain when taking day trips. It also makes the taxi rides a little pricey (although we did not take any taxis). There really isn't anywhere to go that is near the resort, unless you want to walk along the beach to Puerto Morelos. It is located fairly close to the Cancun airport (about 20-25 min shuttle ride), so that was really nice. Playa Del Carmen is also a 20-25 min shuttle (between $20-$25 US round trip). Chichen Itza is about 2+ hrs away, so plan to be away for a full 12 hr day. There is a ridiculous amount of vendors there, but I wish we had more free time on our tour. This was followed by a swim in a cenote, and I highly recommend booking one of these tours.

Property size was perfect. Big enough to give you lots of variety, but not too big to walk around. It is quite well set up, and it doesn't take very long to get anywhere on the resort. There is a variety of activities on the resort, although we did not take enough advantage of them - next time.

Overall, we really liked the resort, and we would definitely consider going back there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your perfect review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a nice holiday in our resort and enjoyed the service from our kind staff.
THank you also for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor.com
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your wife again in another vacation:).
Muchas gracias y saludos amigos!!
Erieau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

All in all we had a great stay, we were located in Building #19 5th floor room # 9, a magiificent view of the entire resort.

Thanks to Senor Bustamamante for providing us with a great room as per our request, it certainly was not his fault that after 4 days the elevator broke and we had to walk up and down the stairs. Quite a hike to the 5th floor.

The decor of the room was very nice, clean and comfortable. with exceptional views of the resort. All rooms face the ocean with entrances in the rear facing the mangroves.

The resort is actually very compact and easy to get around, a great place for families as well as couples. Pools are very good sizes with the mountain and water slides for the younger crowd at one end.
One nice feature was the quiet area and the Jacuzzi for adults only.

Very Clean grounds and public washroom facilities are impeccably clean and plentiful

Restaurants are maxed to their limits especially when the resort is fully booked.
We had no problems getting reservations except at the Marina so we books it on our last night.

I remember reading a review where the food was described as inedible and they resorted to crackers all week, I actually wonder were these people were
????
I saw no crackers anywhere!

One thing I must mention, be very careful when eating at the Mexican a la carte, they may not tell you that its "CLIENTE" HOT so beware, I got burned by hot yellow peppers and nobody told me they were HOT........until after the fact....
Yellow peppers to me are supposed to be sweet.....NADA here.

Just a gew negatives to report, the houskeeping staff was really atrocious for forgetting to leave stuff, like towels and coffee, there is no excuse for missing towels in your room, we called guest services and had towels delivered pronto to our room and more a few hours later.
This was addressed with the Manager the next day. He was always around and quite accessible to talk to during his work day which tells me he is a hands on manager and cares about his resort.

Internet is terribly slow and expensive, I am glad that I only purchased 1 days worth, it was always asking me for my password on every connect, which is ludicrous as I saved the login script and did not have to use a password with the prepaid card.
I informed the manager about this when I met with him for a private meeting.
He also informed me that they were expanding when approvals were secured, more rooms and restaurants and a heated pool, this will be a great asset to the resort.

Bar service was exceptional around the pool and on the beach, Alberto was great and always remembered what we were drinking, he is an asset to the resort.

My pictures are hosted at this url

Would I return, likely and have already recommended the resort to some friends.

Some things about us. We are both retired, myself for 15 years and my better half for 4 years, we enjoy travelling and do so extensively each year.
I am currently 64 years old while my wife is 63.

I am also the Trip Advisor D/E for Punta Cana

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at this resort, we had a great hospitality suite when we were leaving the res...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for selecting our resort.
We are so glad that you and your wife had a relaxed holiday with us and that you feel confident to recommend our resort.
Please apologize us again for the issue with the elevator it was out of our hands and thank you for your understanding.
It will be a pleasure to serve you and your wife again in another occasion and thank you again for the selection of our resort and for your kind comments amigo:)
Hasta la vista, muchas gracias!!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just got back from hotel Marina El Cid yesterday. I have been all over in Mexico over the past 17 years and by far this was the best trip I ever had and the best vacation to any location I have ever had. I have always loved Mexico for the warm, welcoming people. It's like no other. The hotel was absolutely amazing with outstanding food, excellent staff, comfortable clean rooms with beautiful views and an overall beautiful property. Hotel Marina El Cid is my slice of heaven! We also ventured into the charming village of Puerto Morelos quite a few times and loved the authenticity of the town (approximately 7500 people reside there).

I feel the need to talk about the staff a bit more as we really made friends with many members of the staff. Everyone is incredibly kind, accommodating and friendly. We loved the food at Alhambra and could not believe the variety of options. I myself have some specific dietary needs and there were always many delicious options to choose from. Fernando a waiter there is absolutely fabulous and he was one of the many people that made our trip memorable. We also ate a few times at Alcazar and had Juan both times as our waiter. He is professional, patient, kind and treated us very well, especially the one night we sat there for a long time with some red wine. He never pressured us to hurry up and leave. Thank you Juan! The food at Alcazar was definitely our favorite and the stuffed chicken was fabulous as well as the soup with scallops in it. In addition, the food is presented and plated beautifully. A+ to whomever is responsible for making the food look beautiful as well as tasting delicious. I would recommend that as soon as you arrive at the resort to get into the habit of making a reservation a day in advance so you have the most options for dining times. We had no trouble though making reservations at any restaurants the day of, but if you need to have specific meal times I recommend the day before first thing in the morning.

Another wonderful member of the staff was Shamir who guided us on a bike tour into town one morning and we also played beach volleyball with him many times. He is a lot of fun and an all round nice person. I highly recommend the activities at the hotel. There is so much you can choose to do that is included in your all inclusive stay from spin classes with a view of the ocean, yoga on the pier, bike tour into Puerto Morelos (which we loved), beach volleyball, many many pool activities. It's great that they post activities for the entire week right by the pool on a giant wooden board so you can check out what's going on at all times. You can also find schedules of daily events In every building next to the elevator, which is very helpful.

The beach is gorgeous with the reef right at your doorstep. There were plenty of chairs both at the beach and the pool but it helps to it your towel on a chair in the morning to hold your spot, if you want/need a particular area. The first few days we actually chose a beautiful cabana to relax in on the beach. I was shocked that it was not reserved and that it was available everyday! If you want your own private cabana with some shade to read go down to the south end of the beach and pick a cabana by Scaramanga Lounge. The bar is right behind you too. We absolutely loved the staff at the bar. Angel and Alberto are the best! So friendly, accommodating and professional. They really waited on us hand and foot, literally! Alberto brought us drinks right to our chairs with a smile and we were so appreciative of his friendly service! Thank you Angel and Alberto!

We chose to upgrade to building 16 for the view. The upgrade was not expensive and we absolutely loved our view from room 1636. It was worth every penny! We really utilized the balcony for room service coffee on the morning to watch the sun come up. Just breathtaking. We actually ordered room service many times at all hours and found the service to be wonderful and delicious!

I simply cannot express in words how wonderful our vacation was and how many wonderful aspects there are to this hotel, from delicious food, outstanding staff, delicious cocktails, activities galore (if you desire), gorgeous pool and beach, beautiful property, friendly environment suitable for couples, adults, singles and families. There is something for everyone here and the property was just the right size for us. We've stayed at larger properties that were all inclusive with 10 or more restaurants and we didn't like how huge the property was. El Cid is just the right size to give you variety but also cozy enough that it feels like home. Although we traveled as a couple, there were wonderful new friends we met with kids and the El Cid has outstanding services for children for activities to the Kids Club. The kids can play while Mom and Dad can have some adult time. I have never seen a kids club run so well ever with extremely attentive staff with wonderfully creative things for kids to do in a safe fun environment. Speaking of safety, this hotel is beyond safe, from the beach to the pool area, to the overall property to the room.

Thank you to everyone at Hotel Marina El Cid for making this the best vacation I've ever had. I like to try new places and this is the first time in my life that I can't wait to go back to this exact hotel again. My only problem is that I can't get back to the El Cid fast enough!! Thank you again for making this vacation wonderful.

Room Tip: We loved building 16 for the view. It is near the pool which some people may think is too noisy duri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your excellent review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you had a relaxed stay in our resort and that you enjoyed our resort but mainly the warm and attentive service of our staff.
As I always commented on the reviews our staff is our main strenght and we are so proud of them:)
It will be a pleasure to serve you both again in another occasion and thank you again for your incredible review and for your preference.
Esta es su casa amigos, best regards!
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went to the Marina El Cid with my wife, and kids age 4 and 6. We had a nice week, and generally we were pleased with the services, but we felt that the hotel didn't quite live up to its advertised levels.

Good: Kids Club was excellent, nice beach, nice pool for adults and kids. Drinks were good, and the food was mostly pretty good (but not universally). The sit-down restaurants were definitely better than the buffets, but even at the buffets we could find a few things worth eating. Service was excellent for the most part.

Bad: (I acknowledge that most of these bad things are relatively minor, but collectively they really detracted from my vacation.)

- The Wi-Fi was terrible, and expensive. Someone needs to tell this hotel that it is the year 2013. I originally paid $60 for one week's worth of wi-fi (otherwise, it's $15 per day), and the connection was horrible. I spoke with no fewer than three other people who had troubles. I ended up getting a refund after a few hours. They have internet terminals in the lobby to check e-mail (4 pesos per minute), but they didn't even have a printer for printing out boarding passes. Fail.

- It's located a couple of miles away from Puerto Morelos. It's about a 45 minute walk into town (and you can't walk all the way on the beach because a container port is in the way). Otherwise, it's nearly $10 US for a taxi ride into town, or $20 round trip. That made it kind of a hassle to go into town.

- A related issue: Everything was overpriced in the gift shop, but it cost $20 to go into town for supplies. Example: We paid about $30 U.S. for some spray suntan lotion in the gift shop. I just got the sense that I was getting nickle and dimed while I was there.

- Our elevator was broken for three days of our trip. It was the only elevator in our building. And we were on the 5th floor. Ugh.

- Not enough English-language television stations for the kids. It would have been very helpful to have some English-language cartoons to keep the kids occupied (most were in Spanish). And given the quality of the wi-fi, meaning no access to internet streaming, this was a headache for us most of the trip.

- Timeshare people are quite aggressive. A firm and somewhat obnoxious "No" is required to get rid of them.

Again, on whole we had a good experience at the hotel, but I just think it didn't quite live up to its advertised level.

Room Tip: I was in 19503, which is building 19 (the furthest from the beach), but on the 5th floor so it had a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that all your family had a happy holiday in our resort.
We are sorry for the minor issues occurred during your past stay, we are committed to improve our hotel and our services everyday with the help of this reviews.
We hope to serve you all again in another opportunity and thank you again for your review and for your past visit with us.
Warm regards familia, esta es su casa:)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My boyfriend I went here last year in February and had a wonderful time. The resort was beautiful, and the rooms were very nice and spacious. The beach was beautiful and clean, and there was lot's of lounge chairs available most of the time, as well as the beds with canopy's that were on the beach as well that were a nice touch.
We also really enjoyed the pool, minus the lack of being able to find lounge chairs due to people always reserving them early. But that seems to be a problem no matter which resort you go to unfortunately. There was this one group of people who always reserved the chairs near the pool bar all day, but basically never sat at them. Everyone complained about them and it was very frustrating, but oh well!
The food was very good and there was quite a good selection. We also really enjoyed the restaurants as well. I did get very sick one day from the food in the morning, but I wasn't exactly sure what food caused it. The service from the staff was also really good, and for the most part, spoke english well.
My only complaint was how much it was geared towards children. We are in our mid twenties and felt that it was probably a better resort for people with families or are looking for more of a quiet hotel. I think that would be the only thing that would hold us back from visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that you and your boyfriend had a relaxed holiday in our resort.
Thank you also for your lovely pictures and for sharing your experience with the world:)
It will be an honor to serve you and your boyfriend again in another vacation and thank you again for selecting El Cid and for sharing your review.
Good luck and best wishes amigos!!
Warba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was our second trip to this resort. We are platinum owners of a timeshare here. We have traveled all over the world and have never received such wonderful service before. Our butler was awesome!!!! He went above and beyond expectations as did all the other staff that we met. The two buffets were incredible and we enjoyed them more than the two restaurants. The food was fantastic. The waiters in the buffet and the bar tenders on the beach work so very, very hard. They really hustle. Everyone is friendly with a greeting. The grounds are beautiful and everything so so very clean. We hope to come back here each and every year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your second stay with us
We are so glad that you had a relaxed stay in our resort and that you enjoyed everything.
Thank you also for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.com and for recommending our resort.
We hope to serve you again for third occasion in a near future and thank you again for your preference and for being already part of El Cid family.
Warm regards and best wishes amigos!

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!