I read countless reviews on tripadvisor, before deciding on ERC. We've never done an all-inclusive before and were seeking relaxation and great food. We definitely relaxed, but the food wasn't all that I had hoped for.
The resort - beautiful - landscaping, layout, cleanliness, etc. the whole place was really beautiful.
The spa - we didn't use the spa but it looked amazing - floated around it almost daily in the lazy river - really relaxing.
The rooms - ours stunk! all the reviews that mention a musty smell are underestimating if their room smelled anything like ours. We stayed in Bldg 6 with a great ocean view on the third floor. Our smell was definitely sewer related and not just musty. We complained once at the front desk and they said they would send somebody. We said it was so bad that we were considering upgrading for the balance of the stay to the EC. They were very attentive suddenly and were more than happy to show us a room in the EC while they claimed to be checking on the problem in our room. We got back to our room later in the day to find that the smell was still very bad. We had to call again to complain and they sent someone to spray all the drains. Needless to say it was incredibly disappointing not to have received immediate attention. Obviously there are consistent complaints about odors in the rooms. They need more than just an incense stick - should supply scented candles. Housekeeping failed to replenish our incense and matches - twice. The elevators in our building were broken more often than not.
The food - the french restaurant is very good -ate there twice. The italian restaurant was also very good (Toscana). Ate lunch at the grill - not good. Also had lunch at The Lobster which was okay. Breakfast buffet had lots of options but I was not overwhelmed like some of the other reviewers. We ordered eggs benedict in our room and it was absolutely not close to a hollandaise sauce - I couldn't eat it at all. I may be a tough food critic. We tipped at every meal and when ordering drinks. I realize tips are included, but where we come from, we tip and the staff was really very accommodating.
The pools - always a pool/space to suite your mood each day. Some days we wanted more action and were at the main pool. Other days we found quiet spots. It seemed we ended up at the lazy river each and every day.
Entertainment - we saw the Michael Jackson show and it was really good. Hotel went to a lot of effort for a Caribbean night and Mexican buffet - all the tables and props were great - but we didn't eat at either of those events. There was always great live entertainment in the afternoons and evenings. There were a few singers in particular that were really unbelievable.
Many have written that this is the best all inclusive they've ever been to - since this our first I can't compare. We might not be the all-inclusive type.
Good - not great. I would recommend - but with a few caveats.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Excellence Group LLC, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Otel so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos