Just returned Sun 11/12/06 from our first visit to ERC and our first trip to Mexico. We travel to the caribbean every 6 months but decided we wanted to try an all-inclusive and after tons of research and a great deal through Funjet, decided on ERC.
First the Good...
The property is absolutely beautiful !! The grounds, the pools, the rooms, everthing is definitely a 5 star resort. We stayed in room 2106 spa/pool view 1st floor and had a great view overlooking the pool and spa.
The Staff, what can i say except they were some of the most professional, helpful. courteous people i have ever encountered. They would do anything to make your stay wonderful. I want to mention Balbina, the girl who took drink orders at the pool. Not only was she prompt and efficient, but just a sweet person who works very hard to make sure your happy while your lounging around the pool. And people, PLEASE !!!, tip these people, they deserve it !!! Everyone from the maids to the waiters in the restaurants just went above and beyond in service.
The Restaurants were awesome. We didn't have a bad meal our entire stay. We ate at 7 of the 8 restaurants on the property and we were amazed at the quality of food served. Our favorites were in this order..
1. Chez Isabelle (French) Chateaubriand was unbelievable.
2. Barcelona ( Mediterranean)
3. Agave ( Mexican) We ate here twice it was that good
4. The Grill ( Steak ) Best filet i've ever had !!
5. Lobster House ( Lobster only )
6. Toscana ( Italian )
7. Oregano (Pizza) try the mexican pizza, awesome.
The outdoor restaurants allowed smoking and shorts for men and women, but the indoor restaurants were non smoking and men were required to wear long pants, collared shirt and dress shoes. Women wore dresses or dress slacks and dressy tops and dress shoes.
The Bars, 10 of them all served top shelf liquor, you just had to ask for it. Our favorite was the Martini Bar in the Lobby. After dinner we would go there and have drinks and had a blast with the bartenders. A special thanks to Santos, Jose and Leticia for making our evenings so much fun. Again, please tip these people who work so hard. We saw so many people not tipping, and yet they recieved exellent service with a smile. We never had trouble getting a drink, even when they were very busy,and usually when our glasses were empty they were pouring us another one. Great bartenders !!
Entertainment, you couldn't possibly get bored at this resort. There was always something going on and things to do. Everyday they had shows and bands, and each night with turndown service they would leave a paper with what was going on the next day at the resort.
Now for the Bad...
Some of these things were really no big deal, but if the resort could work on these areas it would make your stay alot more pleasant.
1. The showers were terrible. They were nice and big and clean, but the water ran from cold to warm and then extremely hot and continued this cycle the whole time you were in the shower. You had to learn to move out from the water when you knew the really hot was coming.
2. The mini fridge really didn't keep things cold, just barely chilled. We found that beer was better when delivered from room service in ice buckets.
3. Cockroaches and this was a hugh problem for us. Every day we would have several in our room and they were all over the hallways. I know about bugs in the tropics but we've never encountered roaches like this. We saw guys spraying the hallways and we noticed many dead ones laying around, but this is an area the resort really needs to correct. We would put dirty towels around the bottom of our door trying to keep them out at night. We also noticed quit a few in the pool which was kind of a turn-off.
4.Dress code which was not enforced in the fancy restaurants. We saw many people in jeans and shorts not appropriate for the setting. Most people did get dressed up for dinner, but we saw many who looked very out of place. We made sure we brought appropriate clothes for the evening meals. If management is going to set these rules, they need to enforce it.
And now for our last day..
We went to lunch Saturday afternoon and returned to our room to change and go back down to the pool. My husband laid his watch and some tip money on the desk in our room and while we were at the pool someone got into our room and stole his watch and money. I know it was our stupidity for not locking it in the safe, but we really felt a sense of security while we were there all week. We kept our passports and wallets and the majority of our money in the safe at all times, but it took just one instance for this to happen. We reported it to security and they came to our room and took a report, but basically there was nothing they could do. So keep anything of value locked up at all times !!! It just spoiled the end to a fantastic vacation.
The weather when we arrived last Sunday and Monday was basically rainy off and on all day long. Tuesday thru Friday was clear blue skies and sunny. Got the tan i wanted !! Saturday was a little overcast and when we left yesterday there were dark skies and a downpour. It was in the 90's everyday and very humid. It cooled down in the evenings and was very pleasant to sit out on the balcony. I got a few mosquito bites but they weren't a problem.
I would go back to this resort again and I'll highly recommend it !! We had a very nice, relaxing vacation and i really enjoyed doing an all-inclusive resort. We are usually condo, small resort people, but this was a first class place all the way.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.