“Bed bugs too!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Chambersburg, PA
“Bed bugs too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Excellence for 6 days. We totally loved this place. It was first class service, food, the rooms appeared to be very clean and beautifully decorated. We had spa treatments which we throughly enjoyed. The staff was very polite and accomodating. We even made friends with two other couples who we joked with about holding a reunion at the Excellence next year. The only complaint we had was the musty smell in the room which grew as we stayed longer. I figured the climate was such that they couldnot control the mildew and it was no big deal. Towards the end of our stay the smell in our room continued to worsen - we noticed a reappearance of mildew stains coming thru the paint on the wall by the aircond. vent.
The second to last day, I noticed itchy bites on the top of my back thigh. I assumed it was noseeums. No big deal. After 24 hours the bites grew into red hive like welts. Ater returning home and researching the appearance of these welts I realized they are bedbug bites. Needless to say, I freaked out and started the process of trying to assure I would not have an epidemic in my own home. I am still paranoid as we just purchased a new mattress in July and I am hoping these bugs don't take up permanent residence in it.

Sorry to say, I would not recommend this hotel. After contacting the other two couples we met to warn them of the infestation - I came to find out that the other husband also had the strange looking bites on his back and stomach after returning home!

WATCH OUT. Check the bed under the sheets in the crevices these suckers only come out at nigt but leave dot blood stains and brown marks on the mattresses and sheets. Inspect your room no matter where you are staying and if you find something request a room change immediately!

KP- Chambersburg PA

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — Bed bug infestation
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go unless they address this problem
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

6,845 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,797)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Excellence Riviera November 4 through November 8, 2006 for our anniversary and it was a wonderful getaway. When we arrived we were greeted with champaigne at check in. We stayed in a swimup Jr suite and found the room to be spacious and comfortable and really enjoyed the hot tub. Unfortunately it rained the majority of the time were were there so it was to wet and muddy to sit in the chair outside our room. We did make the best of it though by using the indoor hot tub and also the DVD player.

For the few moments we did have sun we made it out to pool right outside our room. My only complaint was the bar service. We had chose to sit in some chairs under a umbrella (in case of the rain) and there was a bar right next to it. When we went to the bar, they told us all that they served was smoothies (no alcohol). We were told upon check in that our pool would have full bar service yet that did not happen. We ended up having to go to the bar ourselves near the center of the resort for drinks.

We did go to the beach one day but were unable to swim due to the rough waters. There was someone coming around to take drink orders on the beach but the service was slow.

The restaurants were very good and we received great service in them. The resort was only about half full so there was not a reservation required for any of the restaurants. For our anniversary, we chose the French Restauarant and they had the table decorated in rose pedals and a bottle of champaigne waiting for us. The food was excellent every night.

We did not eat breakfast at the restaurants but chose room service. The food was good however they got my order wrong serveral time. They were always quick to fix whatever the problem was though.

We also went for a couples massage on our anniversary at the spa and it was great! They have water treatments before spa service and then we had a 80 minute massage. The service was incredible and I found compared to other vacations that we have been on that the prices for spa treatments were reasonable.

Overall we enjoyed Excellence Riviera and hope to be able to enjoy another vacation there in the future.

• Liked — Room was very nice
  • Disliked — Bar service at the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring money to tip. A few dollars goes a long way.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2006

We were at this resort 11/2 - 11/6 and found it to be wonderful. We have traveled quite a bit in the caribbean and a few times to Mexico so we have seen it all as far as resorts go.

The property is beautiful and extremely clean. There is marble and tile everywhere. The pools were very clean while we were there and it rained hard but they kept them clean.

The service was exceptional. The staff goes out of their way to help. I really can't imagine what happened to the couple who lost their luggage. We found the service to be above our expectations.

Now, that said the staff is not as fun as some we have had in the caribbean. Especially Jamaica. They are more quiet. Very helpful though.

Our room was incredible - 6111. We booked the basic room and asked for upgrades to oceanview and king. We got both - well partial oceanview. It was a great location in the center of the resort. You could not ask for a nicer room in a tropical country. The shower was huge and the room was very clean. We have paid much much more in the caribbean and gotten smaller rooms that were in need of an update.

The food was the best we have ever had at an all inclusive. Each restaurant was great. Granted, there are few foods that don't taste the same because you are in another country but the food quality is exceptional. The drinks were great and there was enough choices for wine at the ala carte restaurants.

My only complaint is that you do not have any wine available in your room mini bar and you can not order it from room service.

The beach was a big disappointment and we knew this going in. It was filled with kelp and they continually tried to clean it up. It was very stormy while we were there so it may have been worse than usual. The water was a very creepy brown right at the beach and got more blue as you looked out. We love the beach so don't come here thinking it will look like a caribbean postcard. It is fine to walk down and to sit in a chair by the water but if you want to swim in the ocean - think twice. The pools are fabulous. One weird thing, there are no hot tubs. The hot tub by the beach is not hot it just bubbles with cold water.

All in all - we loved it. We will try the Excellence resort in the Dominican Republic next time because of the beach. But we LOVE the Excellence Resorts.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kingston, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2006

My husband and I arrived at the Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun on Sunday August 20, 2006. Upon arrival at 11:15 am, a bellboy from the resort checked our bags and issued us a receipt, all the while ensuring it was standard protocol and that the bags would be taken directly to our rooms while we waited to check in. After walking around the property until 3pm waiting for our room, we were more than shocked to find all our luggage missing. We had checked everything (luggage and carry-on bags), so we were left with nothing but the clothes on our backs and a purse with our passports and some money. Everything we owned and purchased for this trip (including new clothes, shoes, a brand new Sony Handycam gift, etc.), was gone, just like that.

We had called our travel agent at Liberty Travel to tell her about the problem and that the hotel was not addressing our problems in a respectable or professional manner. The concierge continued to assure us they were going to locate the items and that he was in the process of checking all the rooms in the resort, all transportation carriers that entered the resort, and the airport. It was not until 6:30 pm that the hotel decided to give us basic amenities to get us through the night. The next morning, the nightmare started.

It was back and forth between us, our travel agent, and the hotel staff in meetings, phone calls, and conferences. We spent every morning waiting for calls from our travel agent in and every afternoon/ evening waiting in the lobby to talk to the GM or whatever staff member would listen to us, or in conference calls with our agent while we argued with hotel management. We tried to make the best of things because it was our honeymoon, but our spirits were broken. We were not being unreasonable, all we requested was an expedited resolution so we could salvage some of our trip. Instead, things progressed so badly that we decided to cut our losses and try to make the up the rest of our honeymoon at home in PA. We paid extra money to have our flight changed and left early.

We were not able to enjoy one day of our trip, and our entire honeymoon had been ruined by the surprisingly unprofessional management and lacking atmosphere. I would have expected something like this to happen at a smaller, no name resort, but certainly not at a five star hotel with a reputation like Secrets/Excellence. Instead, we enjoyed neither one hour nor one meal in Mexico. We had lost everything and our honeymoon was ruined. I would recommend that everyone stay away from all Secrets Resorts and all Excellence resorts. They boast a solid reputation with high rankings. They could not have disappointed us anymore or have been more ignorant or unprofessional if they had tried. Stay away if you value your trip and further away if its your honeymoon, because you only get one, and you wouldn’t want yours ruined like our was.

• Liked — I did not like anything about this resort- the entire trip was an absolute nightmare I wish I can do over somwhere else.
  • Disliked — Stay away from all Secrets and Excellence Resorts- it is not worth the risk.
  • Tips/Secrets — Management in Mexico was very offensive and rude to me and my husband.
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reading
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

My partner and I stayed at The Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya from October 17th - 31st this year. I spent a long time reading reviews on tripadvisor before we went, most of which seemed very good. I am afraid I am going to start moaning now....

We have stayed in Playa del Carmen before at The Riu Palace and therefore (despite this hotel being more expensive) had very high expectations of this hotel. The key thing is location. The Secrets Excellence is in between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Probably the worst thing about our trip was that we could not and did not want to swim in the sea. There was almost always a yellow or red flag up and the water was muddy and brown, far from the crystal clear turquoise water of Playa del Carmen that we had been used to. It is a minor detail really but there were also hardly any palm trees on the beach, making the view very bland.

We thought the pools would make up for the sea, however there seemed to be (not just in the pool) an abundance of bugs! Despite being cleaned most days by pool cleaners, the pool had a lot of dead insects in it which made it horrible to swim in. There are lots of lizards, beetles, spiders and grasshoppers around!

I will get to some good points in a minute!

Other areas which we were found frustrating were things like finding no water in our room. A pipe burst which meant we had to move rooms half way through the holiday. The rooms smelt very very musty, the smell comes from the wicker lampshades in the rooms. We were also really looking forward to the jacuzzi in our room - BEWARE! This takes an good 45 minutes to fill up, it was ridiculous! My partner ended up taking the shower head off the shower in the shower room next door and aiming the pipe through the crack in the door so we could eventually fill the bath up! Needless to say we only used this once during our stay.

The showers are also very temperamental. The water will be the right temperature one minute, then go cold and then straight to scalding hot the next second, and repeats the same routine through out your shower - remember we had two rooms and we found it happened in both!

If your are from Europe, don't take any DVD's with you. There is a player in the room but it will only play Region 1 DVD's. We took a couple with us incase we had rainy days, but we could not play them. The hotel has a small selection to choose from at no cost.

For those who are used to buffet style food this hotel is not very good at it. The breakfast (in comparison to the Riu Palace) was quite small. You can get either hot mexican food or bacon and potato with an omelette station for eggs. There is fresh fruit and a breads area which has pastries. There is choice, but not as much as we had been used to.

There is no buffet food in the evening, only a la Carte. It depends on your tastes really. We loved Spice the asian restaurant and ate here a lot. The French restaurant was nice however very very slow service. Oregano (weather permitting) does fantastic pizzas. The Steakhouse is good and we did not choose to eat at the Spanish or Mexican restaurants. There is a lot of fish, especially at the Spanish restaurant and ofcourse The Lobster restaurant (lobster only by the way!). You can have room service but again a very limited menu. Most drinks are free, however champagne I believe was not free and the wine list at dinner has about 4 wines at the front which are included, and then a big wine selection in the rest of the list which is all extra.

I cannot comment on the spa as i did not have a treatment. It does look beautiful, however if you choose to sit around that area by the pool during the day, the extremley repetitive music they pump out is very irritating. They start playing it at 08:30am which you can hear even with your bedroom doors are closed!

The hotel does a shopping trip to Cancun to Flamingo Plaza - go by all means, but just not to that shopping mall! It is awful, walk up to Plaza Isla which is a 10 minutes back on yourself, it is fantastic and huge! Planet Hollywood, Chillis, loads of great shops, very lively. Then walk back for the coach when it leaves at 10pm.

We booked through Sovereign in the UK and our brochure said they did shopping tours of Playa del carmen (it would cost a lot if you wanted to get out of the hotel as there is nothing close by, you have to take cabs everywhere). There were no trips to Playa so we tried to find a way around it!!! Lapis who are the Jewellers in the hotel run a complementary trip to their factory just past Playa del Carmen, which takes an hour, then they drop you in Playa for an hour and a half on the way back to shop. Trust me this is a far cheaper way of getting there. We told the driver not to wait for us and we got a taxi back which cost us £15. The sea here is to die for so make the most of it.

Overall we had a relaxing holiday but we were disappointed. The food was nice and lots of sunshine. I would not however recommend this hotel, mostly I guess due to its location which is dreadful! I can however very very highly recommend the Riu Palace in Playa del Carmen.

• Disliked — Sea
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

We traveled to the ERM in October 2006 just 3 weeks after new management took over the property (the new management take over made us a little apprehensive but, NO flaws in our eyes). Everything from customer service to food was above EXCELLENT. We asked several of the employees that worked at the property and they were very upbeat and enthused about the new management take over as well as they said it was only going to get better! My husband and I are very experienced travelers from cruises to 5 star all inclusive’s. As well as we spend many hours like others on trip advisor to find the "perfect resort". Including RIU, SANDALS, PALACE, RITZ, and this being our first EXCELLENCE property. In our opinion ERM by far surpassed any resort we have stayed at and as did many guests we spoke to while visiting. It was not just the beauty and layout of the property that classified this property in our all time favorite, it was the feeling you get from the minute you walk into the front lobby until the minute you leave. From the customer service to the variety of excellent quality restaurants we were impressed in every way. There was a mix of ages from 20's on up. Not to mention most people at this property were either celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon. It is such a romantic atmosphere. We met many couples and all were extremely friendly along with all staff! We also chose this property b/c it was adults only! It was our 10 year anniversary so we wanted somewhere relaxing with no kids.

The first thing to mention is that we choose to do the Excellence Club room category and were extremely happy we choose it. We would not do it any other way in the future. In many reviews in the past we read that it was not worth it. My husband and I both said the extra $400.00 we paid was well worth it…. From the second we got out of the van upon arrival we were taken immediately to a VIP lounge separate from the main lobby to check in (greeted with champagne and towels). Only Excellence Club guests are allowed in this lobby with your room card. In the Excellence lounge there is a bar and snacks served until 11:00pm daily, along with a DVD and book library (channel 38 in your room was plenty enough for us- and it was free ;), and 3 computers set up with free internet access. You also were able to choose your pillow type, newspapers delivered to our room daily, and my husband was able to get an internet connection cord for his laptop hook up in our room. Another great feature of the many that we loved was the 24 hr room service. You got a large free beach bag (very nice- it had the excellence logo on it) as well as robes and slippers to use in your room for the week. We ordered breakfast many mornings and sat out on our back porch and ate. The menu was super and was always brought promptly after ordering. Another great thing about this category is that on the back side of the property (Ocean side and pretty private) there was a VIP pool and bar that was excellent and only for VIP guests. The lounge chairs in the VIP pool area were great too, with pillows and great cushions.

BEACHES:
My husband and I are BIG beach people so the beach is a priority of ours. ERM's beach itself is beautiful. As we were there they were planting many palm trees. The water itself was nothing to write home about. Rocky and Choppy and not that pretty turquoise color like you see in Cancun (It could be the time of season for that area). The resort and its many pools made up for it though- I was not one bit bothered by the so-so beach and not to mention we did not even walk down the beach. The beach was the ONLY minor complaint I have about this property and I am a beach queen.... Too many other things make up for it. The service staff provides drinks and food service down on the beach, this can definitely make up for the water.

HOTEL/ROOMS
This resort rates 4 out of all resorts in Cancun, just under the JW Marriott. I think that rating in itself should be a big enough clue that it earns every bit of its 4th place rating. And ERM competes’ with some pretty magnificent resorts in our opinion. We were never approached by time share people, which was great. The activities were great and the activity staff went out of their way to ensure you were having a good time at all times night or day. The rooms were huge and laid out great. We had a Jr. Suite Spa Excellence Club room in building 6. Our second favorite location was building 8 b/c of the location -right by the ocean and VIP pool was out your back door. We will know for next time though. The room was very large with a big back porch (bottom level). The rooms had marble floors with 2 Jacuzzis (one inside your room and one on the back deck), and a walk-in shower big enough to put 10 or so people in. The bedroom also had a sitting room and was great! You have a hammock and two chairs off your back porch as well (1st Floor). AWESOME- you walk out and literally are 10 or so steps from your pool.

DRESS:
We read many mixed comments about the dress. I am always over weight on my luggage so you are reading a good review if you want to know what to bring. The men mostly wore dress slacks and button down shirts at dinner and wemon wore sundresses. We saw a couple people wearing jeans and they were way out of place and it looked very tacky. I brought long elegant dresses and did not need them however you would not be out of place if you wore them. I also wore dress pants and a nice dressy top or halter top and it was fine. You can not wear swim suits to any restaurant. A cover up was required which we liked.

FOOD:
There were 8 restaurants- including the new Lobster House. We are picky eaters with my husband having many food allergies and I believe we gained 5 lbs a piece just from the food. The waiters were very attentive to his food allergies leaving certain things off his orders. He never had a complaint!. The portions were just right and if you wanted more than one of something you just had to ask. Many all inclusive resorts are just “so-so” on their food, but by far ERM's food and selection from Mexican to French was EXCELLENT. The French restaurant followed by Spice was our favorite two. The service at all restaurants including the pool bar restaurant was the most professional we have encountered.

POOLS/BAR
Many of the pools wound through the property, I think 8 that I can remember. They were awesome along with the hammocks that hung in the pools. In the VIP pool there was even a very large whirl pool. You never had a problem getting chairs or rafts. If you are not a big sun person there were palapas that lined all the pools, some had big beds and sheer blinds under a thatched roof. It was never a problem getting one of these either. Very relaxing! All bars were great from pool bars to the coffee bar. The martini bar was our favorite and it was very big sized.

ENTERTAINMENT
There were many activities through the day, as well as nightly shows at the outdoor theater. Every show we attended was very good. We would walk over to the outdoor theater after dinner and watch the show. The minute you would sit down the waitress was coming to get your drink order. The Aquatic show was awesome. It is at the main pool, and there is not a bad seat in the house. My husbands only complaint about the whole trip was the violinist that played at an ear piercing volume – you will recognize him, he is the one that looks like Abraham Lincoln.

SHOPPING
There were a few shops on the property but watch the prices b/c they are pricey. We have shopped in Playa Del Carmen many times in the past and went ahead and did it again this time since we had several souvenirs to get on this trip. I will say this- the cab ride was ridiculously priced $60.00 US for the two-way trip. However, if you are wanting to go into town to go shopping check on the FREE bus trip that leaves at noon during the week to go to Cancun. It was leaving the day we arrived so we missed it. We would have rather taken the resort shuttle. Another really good shop with a lot of variety and great prices is in the Cancun airport (On the bottom level right beside the Hard Rock shop in the airport). If you have some time before your plane departs going home you can really do some great shopping and it is good quality items.

We will be back for sure to an Excellence property! Hopefully to the new one they are building in Oyster Bay Jamaica (Jamaica is one of our all time favorite places to visit too). Again, like many others trip divisor is a good place to get a good mix of reviews and if you will notice most reviews on this property are 4 and 5 stars and I can see why now. One thing to mention is that you definitely should bring $100.00 or so in ones for tips b/c every employee from the maid to the waiters were worth every penny of a tip! Also, there were not bugs anywhere. We have stayed at the Xpu Ha Palace Resort and they have bugs with all the vegetation that surrounds the property.

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — None
  • Tips/Secrets — Pack light
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

I just want to send out a warning to all travelers to this resort - watch out for bedbugs! While staying in our room, my husband had a few bites on his back - we assumed they were from mosquitos. A few months after we had returned home, I started breaking out in these strange "hive" like marks on my hands and arms. I saw a few doctors and noone could figure out what was wrong with me. Bottom line, after weeks of agony, we realized that we had brought bedbugs home with us from our vacation. We moved out of our place immediately and literally had to dispose of all of our furniture in our bedroom/adjacent closets/and living room. Seriously, check your beds for bedbugs.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!