“Excellence Club Review - We LOVED IT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
“Excellence Club Review - We LOVED IT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We stayed from March 18th – 25th. We stayed in Excellence Club building 7 and our room number was 7155 on the second floor. I had requested a 4th floor room, both at the time of booking as well as by email directly to the resort 2 days prior to our arrival, and received a response stating that our room would be assigned to us on arrival subject to availability. I was a little surprised when our driver pulled up to the security front gate and the gate guy informed our driver what our room number was! Having done all the research I had, I knew this would be a second floor room. A little disappointed, but oh well… we were happy to finally be there!

We were greeted with the sparkling wine and towels as we waited outside for our Excellence Club bellhop to take us and our luggage on a little tour to the Excellence Club lounge to check-in. I didn’t dispute the room location at all upon checking-in, again, I was just super-happy to be there. We were also informed that our room would have two beds. Didn’t bother us, I almost cheered!! We each had our own bed lol! Our room wasn’t ready and they gave us a beeper and told us to enjoy ourselves and would beep us once the room was ready. We decided to just stay put and enjoy the Excellence Club lounge buffet, and had a few drinks while we Skyped the kids on our laptop using the EC lounge’s free wireless connection. Our beeper went off in about 50 minutes and we were showed to our room.

Room: Walked in and immediately noticed the mildewy smell. Now, here’s the thing… it wasn’t awful. It was definitely there, but you didn’t notice it at all after having been in the room for more than 5 minutes. The best way I can describe it is it smelled like a basement, but not bad. We didn’t plan on spending a whole lot of time in the room anyways, so again, I didn’t dispute the room. Some people have mentioned on here that leaving the A/C on helped… I found the exact opposite to be true and found it was much better with the patio door open for a few hours. All of the bed linens smelled fresh as did all of the fabric to be found in the room. I actually went around sniffing everything in the room with this review in mind. We loved the bathroom. The shower was huge and had an adjustable shower head fixture which accommodated my hubby, who’s 6’4”. We did NOT have the fluctuating water temps like a lot of other rooms, and the pressure was super strong. Double sinks, Bvlgari soaps, lotions, shampoos etc. Even toothpaste, a toothbrush, sewing kit, shower cap, comb and shoe shine cloth. I found it a bit dark applying make-up too like some other reviewers but didn’t find it to be a big problem. In fact, the room on the whole was pretty dimly lit, but again, not a problem. I opted to leave my hair dryer at home and used the one in the room. It’s tiny, but did the job.
Huge flat-screen LCD tv with lots of American channels, bar area with coffee set-up and 4 big liquor bottles (ours were Skyy vodka, Beefeater gin, Jose Cuervo, and Jim Beam), 1 bottle of red wine up with the liquor and 1 bottle of white wine in the fridge. The fridge was stocked with Bud, Bud Lite, Corona, Corona Light and pop (in glass bottles) and water. When the fridge guy came I asked if we could swap out some of our Corona for Sol and lots of extra Coke Light. Not a problem, he did it every day for the remainder of our trip. If you wanted to swap out any of the liquor you could have done that too. (Sol was offered in Excellence Club only)
The beds were fine. My husband has a terrible back and he never complained once. The balcony view was great! We had a gorgeous view of the beach and we could also look to the left and see what was going on at the main pool area, which is where most of the activity at this hotel takes place. We never used the jaccuzzi outside. Same goes for the one in the room as well, so I can’t comment on them. We locked ourselves out on the balcony and had to ask our neighbours to call down and send someone up lol! Don’t shut your door when you’re outside!!! I knew this before hand and still made the mistake.

Restaurants: Ate at all of them except for the Lobster House. Hubby enjoys seafood, but I don’t and there wasn’t really anything else non-fishy on the menu. Breakfast buffet was heaven. Absolutely everything you could want. You name it, they had it. The lunch buffet was great too. I won’t go into detail about everything we ate and where, but I will say that Chez Isabelle was our favorite for dinner, and we actually enjoyed Agave for dinner unlike many other reviews. We went with another couple that we met there (which maybe made the difference), and had a great dinner with the Mariachi band playing and our waiter gave me the tequila shot of a lifetime lol! Ask for one if you go. Basically all of the food we had was great. Pasta firm, meats cooked to perfection, meals warm, presentation was great. The only gripes I had were so minor. The greek salad at Barcelona made me laugh, order it for fun. My husband ordered the cannelloni at the Italian and the portion made us laugh out loud – three tiny cannelloni for such a big guy. And I had to ask for a spoon to twirl my pasta. Big deal. All the complaints that you read on here from self-described “foodies” are ridiculous. The service was just so consistently great in each restaurant! We loved it.

Bars: Drinks were never watered-down, unlike other reviews I’ve read. We’re not the fruity concoction-type drinkers though. We’d have only one or two of those a day and even then, we sometimes asked for doubles. We mostly drink wine, beer, whiskey and shots. All you had to do was ask for whatever you wanted and it was yours. Every two weeks the bartenders switch bars. Watch out for Filberto, he’s a riot! We also loved Wilbert who was at the swim-up while we were there, and Lorenzo who was with Fil at the Cafe Kafe bar. The Cafe Kafe was our favorite! It’s outside the theatre. It was a great place to meet up before dinner and again after. We didn’t use the martini bar at all. We just preferred to be outside. We found the Excellence Club beach bar to be a tad quiet for our taste during the day. But the EC beach wait service was AWESOME! Diego was our waiter and I loved him. He was so sweet. We never ordered food on the beach or at the pool, but we saw others that did and it looked great! Think club sandwich with fries or burger-type stuff or nachos, etc. We even went to the night club/disco Alegria twice. It was hit and miss depending on the day. Only 4 nights out of 7 while we were there did we see anyone in there. But it was super fun when we went in. The DJ has a great Lady Gaga mix, ask for it!
For wine drinkers: There are 4 wines included throughout the resort, 2 whites and 2 reds. There was a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (Antares was the name) and there was a Chardonnay, but I can’t recall the name. For the reds there was a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Merlot. I’m sorry I can’t remember the names. The sparkling wine was Mexican called Dubois. And the in-room wine was both a tiny bottle of Spanish red and white, called Rene Barbier. I never drank it. You could order wines off the wine list at the restaurants, but the prices were pretty steep for us. We noticed lots of people bringing wine with them. I was happy with the Sauvignon Blanc, as I prefer a dry wine.

Beach: Fine, white, powdery sand and very wide. The swimming was a little adventurous on windy days as lots of sea grass gets washed in and the water got a bit murky when it was wavy. But we loved that. We were killing ourselves laughing at each other one day as we stepped on mystery things we couldn’t see. On calm days you can see the bottom perfectly. The tractor goes by everyday and cleans the beach. One of the main reasons I booked Excellence Club was to try and avoid the chair reserving game. We could ALWAYS get a palapa any time of day on the EC side. And an EC beach concierge would even walk with you and find you one if you arrived in the pm. Nice. An interesting fact: The best palapas at the EC beach are to the right. The ones to the left are a bit lower (actually it’s the sand that’s a bit higher). The plapas that were being reserved the most were the ones in the first row and the ones to the right. We never cared where our palapa was as long as it wasn’t too low, and we always managed to get one to the right. The EC beach is extremely quiet. We never used the beach on the non-EC side so I’m afraid I can’t comment much on that.
You can walk for miles in either direction, and we did. Excellence is sandwiched between two family-oriented resorts: Dreams to the south, and Paradisus to the north. You WILL see and hear children. And the odd family would walk by our beach with kids. We walked to Puerto Morelos for fun one day where we had some beer and ate at Pelicano’s.

Pools: EC pool was so quiet we never used it. It is the only one that’s heated. We just preferred the action at the main pool and so used it instead. The fact that the main pool wasn’t heated was a let-down to our friends that we met there, but we didn’t care at all. The main pool was as warm as we could ever hope ours would get in the summer here in Canada. It was high 70’s. Now here’s where you will find the reserved chairs! The ones under palapas were the ones that were reserved first. There are only about 8 or so shaded areas around the main pool to sit. We got a palapa here twice during our stay. On our way to breakfast we would just reserve our spot and come back to it right after and stayed put the whole day. We woke up early every morning around 6 am so the chair reserving never bothered us too much. We never used the lazy river, but found that it was also extremely, extremely quiet and peaceful around there.

Grounds: It’s exactly as others have described… beautiful, clean, amazing..

Spa: The most beautiful spa I have ever been to in my life! They do employ both female and male masseuses. If you have a preference make sure you make it known when you book your treatments. Also, the marine wellness circuit: I highly recommend doing this with a partner!! I did it alone and was wishing I had someone to laugh with the whole time. It’s included with any spa treatment. I had the Excellence massage and it was great. I’ve had a few massages before and I can say that this one was my favorite. The only thing I didn’t like was that the robes were thin white cotton and if you were wet at all from the pools, it clung to you and, well, you know. I found myself averting my gaze when people walked by.

Tipping: We tip and we tip well. I’m sure it didn’t make a difference in service, but having worked in the service industry, I just enjoy tipping. We tipped everyone. The mini-fridge person is different from your housekeeping person – keep that in mind. All of our tips were accepted graciously and appreciatively here.

Activities and Entertainment: We are in our mid-thirties and were a little nervous before we left with people commenting on the average age here being around 50 and that it was a very quiet place. We found the ages of everyone to be quite varied. People who are looking to make friends, do activities and have fun at the bars will. And everyone looking for quiet solitude will certainly find that too. It really is predominantly couples at this resort. Seemed pretty gay-friendly to me as well, which I loved. There is a list of activities that are included in the little newsletter you get with turn-down service for the following day. There are things to do from 8am – 4pm and then in the evening there are other things and then the nightly shows. My husband tried the rifle shooting when I was at the spa and he came back laughing. Unfortunately it was just a pellet gun. The archery would have been better, but we didn’t do that. There were kayaks, peddle boats, windsurfers and snorkel gear you could take out at the beach. Kickboxing, yoga, ping pong, Texas hold ‘em, tequila tasting, Mexican cooking, volleyball, pool tables, Spanish lessons, even bingo! The reggae band at the pool rocked. They got people up dancing. Theme nights are really fun too. Just be prepared to be seated at large tables with other people. If you like shows, the Michael Jackson show is the best. The circus one was pretty good too.

Service: Here comes my one major complaint. It’s not even that big of a deal to me, but could be to someone else. Our room was not cleaned every day, and we only got turn-down service 3 times the whole time we stayed. Eeek! And not only that, housekeeping was at different times each day, so late sometimes that turn-down service would have been redundant. Considering the EC price, I just expected more. This is the one and only area that Excellence did not meet my expectations.
Other than that, service here was superb! Everywhere you turned people were bending over backwards for you. You will fall in love with this place because of the people who work here. Try to make it out to the Managers Night. You will get the chance to meet them and see for yourself just how much they care about their service and about making your stay as perfect as they can.

Room Service: We had it twice and both times were for breakfast. It arrived in about 20 minutes and it was warm. Great!! See my pic. They set it all up for you in the room or on the balcony or you can use the magic box. We never used the magic box for room service, but here’s a tip: they prefer it if you store all your dirty dishes in there. I left a dirty fruit plate out overnight on the tv stand to find tiny ants all over the place. Not a complaint.. could happen anywhere.

Excellence Club Upgrade: Worth it? There is a lot of thought on this throughout these reviews. For us it was worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the Club beach and do feel it was a bit nicer (spaced out a bit better and nicer beds) and less occupied than the other side, at least while we were there. Like I mentioned, towel games never an issue here. We visited the Club lounge everyday to see what Juan was cooking up for the little buffet and had some drinks. We loved hanging out in there and enjoyed having the ability to exchange our money and get small bills, and check-in/out was nicely done there too (while seated in nice chairs). Liquor and wine in the room was good in theory, but we preferred to go to the bars. Never used the upgraded room service menu. Never did use the jaccuzzi on the balcony. Sol beer was nice. The beach bag was handy. Flowers and daily fruit plates were ok.. none of these little extras make it worth it. It all really boils down to whether or not you want an ocean front room. Period. And we did.

I struggled with my overall rating of Excellence. I should really have given it a 4 star rating because our stay was not “perfect” because of the room smell and the housekeeping issue, however, the service and people and the genuine desire to please far out-weigh any of the issues we had. Would I go back? In a heartbeat!! In fact, I don’t think I would even consider another resort in the Mayan Riviera. Would I recommend it to a friend? Absolutely! I give it a 5. Go, enjoy yourselves and fall in love with Excellence Riviera Cancun.

6,862 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,805)
Thames Ditton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We were recommended to this hotel by friends who said it was better than Sandals - it most certainly was. Adult only, all inclusive with friendly professional service, a choice of a la carte restaurants to eat in, and with beautiful grounds including numerous pool areas, and a large beach frontage if you prefer the beach.

I don't think I could say a bad word about the whole experience, and if it was little less distance to travel to get there, we'd be back in a flash.

Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

We booked this trip via Sunwing. We were looking for a relaxing vacation and we decided to book this resort because of the reviews and we were not disappointed.

All the meals / drinks were included (through we did not end up drinking much anyways). Of all the restaurants, my favorite was Mexican. All of the restaurants provide very pure meals, none of it was over seasoned. However i do have to say i personally did not enjoy the Asian cuisine since it is not completely authentic (but I am Asian so for obvious reasons I cannot like Asian food that is not authentic)

The beach is so close and they have all these little huts set up for your pleasure.

I would actually advise asking about their Excellence Club experience as it allows you access to a more private area on the beach as well as an improvement on some of the amenities. However staying at their regular swim up room was already spectacular experience. Staying in a swim up suite was very convenient and we did not have to walk up and down the stairs. We are also provided with direct access to one of the pools and our own lounge chairs.

I would also strongly suggest doing a spa treatment. It was an extremely beautiful ritual for us including their marine wellness was an experience really like no other. If you bring your camera, their staff will also take pictures for you along the way.

Pasadena, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

We just returned from our trip. First time there. Prior to this trip we always stayed at Sandals all inclusive resorts. This resort was far better and better value for the money. The employees at this resort were so friendly and helpful. Very customer oriented and polite. They have a lobster house restaurant and we had lobster 3 nights of our vacation. We stayed 10 days, 9 nights. We've been to Sandals, Negril, St. Lucia, Ocho Rios, Dunns River and this resort is much better in all categories, food, entertainment, customer service, etc....We had actually wanted to go back to Sandals Negril this year but the resort was full and the price was at least $2,500 more then this trip. I'm so glad we chose this resort and I definitely would go back.

Oxford, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My wife and I were scheduled for 8 days and on the 8th day we added a 9th because we didn't want to leave! We were looking for a relaxing vacation in the sun and that's exactly what we found!

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The drinks are great and always accessible. Felix at the Martini Bar was our favorite bartender! He makes by far the best Mojitos. The rooms are clean and well taken care of. We didn't have any issues with an odor as others have indicated. Overall the dinners were very good. The French and Mexican restaurants were our favorite, but I suggest visiting several different places to see what you like best. Most places are busy from around 6:30 to 7:30 or 8. We tended to eat later (after 8) and never had a wait.

For anyone interested in diving, there is a dive company on the beach right next to the resort. You can sign up and leave from the beach. This is very convenient. On a 50 minute dive I was gone only an hour and 15 minutes.

The only tips I'd suggest are that if you want a spot at the pool by the beach to get up early. I went down a couple times at 7:00 and all of the spots were reserved already. I never had an issue finding a good spot some where, but those spots tend to go quickly.

As a couple other people have indicated the beds are very firm and the towels are not soft. These are certainly minor details compared to the overall experience.

My wife and I are already planning a return trip for longer next year!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

One word that comes to mind about this place WOW!!! My husband and I traveled with another couple and had one of the best times of our lives. I will try and cover everything I can think of to convince you to go to this place!!

The pictures of this place do NOT do it justice!!! It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I really did feel like I was walking into a dream when we came through the BIG doors into the lobby. The smells of flowers greet you along with a cool towel and a glass (or two or three) of champagne. MMmmmm. The champagne is delicious. The girl at the desk was very sweet and helpful. I was sooo excited I was shaking. Literally!! The man who took our luggage for us and got us the champagne was Alex and he was sooo sweet and inviting. We checked in which didn't take long. Alex took us down the glass elevator that overlooks the martini bar and showed us the resort on our way to our rooms. The place was full of happy people and I couldn't wait to begin our vacation.

We stayed in building 6. The rooms are beautiful. All marble. With a balcony. Our rm had a beautiful Ocean view. We were on the top floor. It had a big jacuzi in the centre of the rm and double sinks and a really large tiled shower. Absolutely beautiful. The room had free internet if you brought a cable to plug it in. You could also borrow one from the front desk. The connection was very fast. I was able to upload lots of photos onto my lap top. The fridge was stocked every day with beer, coke, dietcoke, sprite, fanta, snickers bar, m&m's and bottled water. There was also lays potato chips, coffee, tea. We asked for extra beer and chips and got that. The bathroom has supplies of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, toothbrush, body wash. The shower did sometimes change temps but if u kept u put it on with less preasure it didn't do that. Our friends shower didn't change temps at all. The beds were pretty comfortable, but the pillows are very flat. I would bring my own next time. But, we did sleep pretty good overall. DVD player in rm. So, if you feel like relaxing after a long day.. bring a few movies with you, there is also an Ipod docking station where you plug in your Ipod and listen to music. Our rm faced one of the quieter pools in the resort. All day long you would hear the sounds of beautiful birds. I absolutely LOVED it. There were hardly any bugs at all. The room was consistently cleaned spotless every single day... and every single night they turned down our beds, left bottled water beside our beds and left us the daily activities for the next day along with the temperature for the next day. Room service was TOP NOTCH. They served it to you on the table with salt and pepper shakers, and ketchup, jams, butters, cream, sugar. What ever you needed for your meal. It was always brought up in a compartment that had a flame under it to keep it hot. The breakfasts we ordered were very good, and we ordered chicken fingers up one day and it was delicious. Free room service 24 hrs a day with a ton to choose from. I even ordered a couple glasses of champagne to the room a couple of times. There is a box they can put it in from outside of the room... so you do not have to be disturbed if you don't want to be.

Staff- I can not possibly say enough about the staff. They all go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and to spoil you. What ever you want they will do it with a smile of their face. They keep the place clean and keep it running properly. Our favorite by far was Jose at the breakfast buffet in the barcelona. He was SO sweet, and always greeted us when we came in. He set up special tables for us with roses on the table, he made my friend and I roses out of napkins and the last day we were there he made us each a ring out of a dollar bill. He was always excellento. Ask for him if you want good, friendly service. We tipped him well because he was outstanding in every way. Abraham in the lobster house was also one of our favorites. He also went out of our way, and had a special meal prepared for us one night at the grill. Steak and Lobster. Many very special people at this place. I would HIGHLY reccomend tipping for the staff. Each lil bit helps them out SOOO much. They really do deserve it. If you got the kind of service you do here you would tip.

Dining: Every place we at at was amazing. The grill was by far my least favorite... especially at lunch. The dinner was fantastic when we went. My favorite is SO hard to choose. I would say it would have to be either the Mexican (Agave) or Japanese (The spice) Amazing delicious food. We had chicken and shrimp fajitis at Agave and a mix of things at the spice. The French was very good too. We practically had to roll out of there. They start u with buns. They have ones that have cream cheese inside. TO DIE FOR. The lobster at the lobster house was really yummy. They give you butters with different flavors. The steak was also good from there. We ate breakfast almost every morning at the barcelona. It was buffet and was DELICIOUS. They will make you omlettes with what ever you want in them. LOTS of choices. The bacon is really good there! Champagne and orange juice every morning if you want. It is sitting out and you can help yourself. Hot chocolate is good. Coffee is good. Really you can not complain about the choices. We also ate here for lunch a lot of the time. They had fresh lettuces and veggies and salad dressings, oils and vinagers, they will make you shrimp with lime, and fresh pastas and sauces, and there was always two different choices of home made soups. My favorite was the cream of carrott. The desserts there are also really good. Try the chocolate cake. They have good icecream too. You will be very FULL. The Italian place (Toscana) was really good too. We did not eat at the Oregano. It was pizza. Just didn't feel like it I guess. There are MANY bars. The Martini bar was SO fun, and made such great drinks. Try the "blue lagoon" It seriously looks like the ocean and is delicious. The wines were actually really good. Very drinkable. I drank a lot of fruity drinks. All really good. They serve you at the beach and around ALL (yes I said ALL) pools. Sometimes you have to wait a bit. BUT... still top notch. At the beach was a lil faster then at the pools. We also saw people ordering food around the pools at at the beach. We didn't do that. You can also get protein shakes at a lil place t hat is around the lazy river. All in all the food was TOO good here. LOL!!!!

The beach was amazing. White soft sand... never hot. I wanted to take some home with me so I could just feel it between my toes once in awhile. The water was very beautiful and warm and sandy. If it was really windy some days it would carry in some seaweed. But, the staff would clean it up quickly. A machine would come and clean it up off the beach often. One complaint I would have about the beach is the lounge chairs are NOT very comfortable. The ones around the pool are better. I hope they will change this soon. Definitely need new ones. You can walk up and down the beach for miles. Its a beautiful walk and you get to see other resorts as you stroll along. The breeze feels sooo good, and the sound of the ocean puts you to sleep almost.

The pools were actually quite warm. It felt very refreshing. My favorite pool was the lazy river. You can lay on a floatie and it will bring you all around the spa. VERY relaxing. You hear the birds and you see the iguinas sitting on the side. They have sooo many lounge chairs all around the pool along with beds. Its VERY nice. We sat around the spa because at one spot there is spa music playing and they have beds and lounge chairs in the water. VERY nice.

There are also a lot of extra activities to do if you choose. We chose not to... we were beach bums. But, if you get bored easily you won't here. The poker games looked like a lot of fun, along with water arobics, and water sports, spanish lessons, dance lessons, scuba lessons etc. The theatre at night had some really great shows. My two favorites were the Michael Jackson (he looked sooo much like him and danced totally like him) and the circus show. They also serve drinks around during the theatre and there is popcorn etc.

You have to try the spa. It was TOP notch. My friend and I went in for pedicures, reflexology massages on our feet, legs and scalp, neck. It was amazing!!!! My friend went back for a facial and loved it. Then we took our husbands back and got couples massages. Included in the price is the water circuit. You go in your swimsuit and they take you first for a shower. Then you go into the steam rm for 8 minutes, then you go into the hot tub and you get four different five different types of water massages, then you walk on rocks for reflexology on your feet, then you go into the sauna for 8 minutes, and then into a cool pool... then they lay you down on chairs that over look a fountain and t hey put a cool cloth on your eyes and they give you a scalp and neck massage. Then you go into the change rms and put on a housecoat and go for your couples massage. Its in a very quiet rm with lovely music. They gave us full body massages and it was incredible. They are very deiscreit. Then we had chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne incuded in the price as well. It was AMAZING!!!! I felt like I was floating when I came out of there. LOL!!!

All in all this place really exceeded our expectations. I LOVED it and would go back in a second. The weather was fantastic. We all came back nice and brown. If youare trying to decide whether to go... DO IT!!! You will NOT regret it. We booked transportation through the hotel to get to and from airport and we had no problems. It took about 15 min to get to resort. He had cold bottled water for us to drink when we got in. Not a bad price either. If I can help you with any other questions you have email me at coleface91@hotmail.com I highly reccomend this place!!!! I wish I was still there. Oh, and I also reccomend going for ten days. Just gives you that extra bit of time to enjoy. We met people there that said they wished they had done that. Hope you have a good trip!!! :) Adios!! ;)

Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We went back to this hotel after getting engaged here in November 2008 and nothing had changed. The standards once again were impeccable, the staff extremely helpful always smiling. This time we had a swim up suite in block 6B, there are a number of block 6's and this was facing the small secluded pools opposite the new hotel. Perfect and very quiet with full sun. The great thing is that they are always working on the rooms and gardens to ensure that the standards stay as high as possible.

The food once gain was superb and of a very high standard the breakfast buffet had more than sufficient choice and always very fresh.

Although the weather in our first week was a little hit and miss, the second week did not dissapoint and was exactly how the weather should be, sunshine, not too hot just perfetc on the shimmering sea.

If you are thinking of getting married, then seriously consider this hotel, we had our dream which was to get married on the pier, a different experience to thise hotels where couples get married under a couple of twigs!

Ramon the wedding co-ordinator was superb and everything went like a dream and our photographer Maurico Clayton was fantastic, he made us feel relaxed and our wedding photographs are very special, find him if you can well worth the money. He also took our engagement photos and highly recommend him.

We were fortunate enough to have 8 friends join us for our second week and we felt relaxed knowing that they were staying in one of the best hotels in the Carribean, again they could not fault it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!