“Excellent Resort, Good Rooms, Great People” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Albers, Illinois
“Excellent Resort, Good Rooms, Great People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

We had Room 7151...don't recommend this if you paid for Excellence Club Beachfront Suite....you get the room of the palm tree in front of it and that is al :) It was a corner room, so that made up for it!
The property, pools and people are fabulous! Humberto at the Stars Bar is the best man ever :) He makes great drinks...even Cosmos! :) He's a fun guy that will easily snatch your camera and make you feel at home. Amable in the Excellence Club pool area is great with your drinks as well....she's wonderfully friendly and genuinely concerned!
The rooms were average. We've had nicer. They just need updating....and they are a tad small. The lighting is awful...for you ladies out there! Applying make-up and fixing my hair was quite the task.
The Lobster House had the worst lobster I have ever had! Horrible. One was so tough, I could barely cut it. The other was raw! The other restaurants all faired out well. The Grill had my favorite...nachos. They were just yummy. Towards the end of the week, the chips get a tad stale, but overall...worth it! Agave has great atmosphere...loved it in there. The shrimp burritos were my favorite :)
The beach is wonderfully clean and very white! It's alot nicer than the beaches in Cancun!
Overall, I would go back. I think the price is a tad high and the "Excellence Club", wasn't worth the extra penny. There's building 6 and I believe 9, that aren't "club" rooms and they are still in front of the beach...just set back! They had better views than we did.
Also, if you are handicapped or in a wheel chair...good luck, as the rooms are not ADA like in the United States.

6,982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,873)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

Just returned from a stay at ERC and also 3 nights at Secrets Maroma so I may have some comparisions going on. I have watched the reviews over the past year and must say most of them are spot on. We have been to several all inclusive resorts thoughout Mexico including Secrets Maroma, Secrets Capri, Dreams, Catalonia and Sandos Playacar. This was by far the best resort we have stayed at. We liked that it wasn't too big in which you felt lost. Small enough to get around and large enough to find quiet spots. We had a spa view swim up room which we loved. Plenty of room and located in building 1, nice and close to everything. Room was cleaned daily with evening turn down service between 8-9pm. Secrets Maroma turn down service was spotty only 1 out of 3 nights. We ate at 3 of the restaurants and enjoyed them. Secrets Maroma does have better food with a better atmosphere at each dinning location. The beach was nice and wide with white sand and blue ocean. A few large rocks in the ocean but nothing to ruin the vacation. Never needed water shoes. We love the fact we could walk out of our room and get right into the lazy river. That was relaxing. It was nice and quiet near our room and if we wanted to see the action we could go over to the beach and here the music and crowds. The thing we really like the best about this resort compared to Secrets Maroma was they always had music or something going on early evening. We don't stay up really late and never hit the disco but it was really nice to sit outside and listen to live music with a drink for dinner. At secrets it seem so cold with tons of concrete and everything indoors. Mosquitos were not bad as I had read about. We brought some "off" but never used it. Don't think I ever got bit. They did spray each evening at 6pm so if your on the ground floor you might bring in you wet suits to avoid the cloud of insect spray. There was one day when the people working in the spa would come around and try to sell you spa services and they really pushed us in trying to book on the spot. I just told them I would look at the sheet and call if interested. This was a new girl as I saw her name tag said trainee. This was the only negative the entire week if you can call it a negative. I recomment this resort to anyone wanting to go and have a great time. The service was top notch, food was on par with cruise food and the beach is nice and white with a beautiful ocean. What else can you ask for.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

Firstly I want to say that both my Husband and I are amazed by any negative comments directed at this resort and having read some of the reviews, we feel that we have just returned from a fortnight at a completely different hotel.

We have stayed at some incredible hotels, the last being the Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, Italy which was a favorite with Pavarotti.

There is one word to descibe the Excellence Riviera and that is 'Stunning' in every way possible.

We did upgrade to the Excellence Club and feel it was worth every single penny. The room was breath taking, overlooking the main pool and ocean. It was clean, the bed was very comfortable and the cream wooden furnishings were elegant. The mini bar was filled to the brim with every drink that you could wish for in addition to chocolate and several snacks and if there was something missing, the staff would get it to you in a jiffy.

The hotel itself was immaculate with staff constantly cleaning walkways, pools, windows, gardening and generally ensuring that the hotel lives up to it's 5* reputation.

The restaurants were all good, but our favourite was Chez Isabelle and Spice. Both fantastic with lovely athmospheres and great staff. The breakfast in Barcelona was amazing, with every breakfast item you could wish for.

The spa was fabulous and real treat. The facilities were clean and very relaxing and the treatments were very luxurious.

The beach had lovely clean soft white sand and the chairs and beds were also comfortable and clean. Yes, there is a little sea grass on the edge of the ocean, but hey, nothing to get stressed about, honestly.

The evening entertainment was very amusing, in particular the Michael Jackson show. The chap was so energetic and a very talented dancer, I felt as though I was watching the real thing. Hats off to him for doing the routine over and over again with the same enthusiasm.

The pools were clean and relaxing, with jacuzzi's at each end and plenty of room. Even though the resort was almost full, it never felt busy or crowded.

I could go on and on, but I won't continue to bore you with words such as 'amazing, fabulous etc'. You need to experience this place yourself.

The only upsetting thing about our stay was leaving. Seeing new srrivals as we were waiting to be collected was hard and getting back to this cold weather is even harder!

If the management should read this, I would like to relay our thanks and gratitude to Eric (French Restaurant), and Xavier (French Restaurant) and the chap that deivered our breakfast a couple of mornings (Carlos, I think) was adorable and finally Karen in the Spa, who I felt as though I had known forever. The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you.

Couple of final things before I sign off:- Internet access in room is very good and plenty fast enough and for anyone that is a GHD fan, they work great.

All that's left to say is that you can nit pick at any hotel, but this one, is truly amazing and if you enjoy it as much as we did, you will be very happy people.

Enjoy!

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

My wife and I just sadly returned from Excellence on 12/14. Believe the reviews you read! This is one of the best all inclusive resorts that we have stayed at. First the resort staff is very friendly even when you just walk by one you will get a smile and an "hola" see Juan at the Martini bar he was our favorite. Second is the resort itself, absolutely beautiful from all the differant buildings to the several pools and the grounds just a tip get to the pool or the beach area before 10:00am to get chairs or your own little tiki hut with a bed. Third is the food, again excellent (wine not to bad either) I was a little upset a first at the amount of time it takes between courses but your on vacation so don't be in a hurry the french restaurant takes the longest about an hour and a half but is the best followed closley by the mediterranean and the italian then the asian. The lobster restaurant wasnt as good as I thought it would be. If you like buffet style the mediterranean has a great one for breakfast and lunch, wish they had one for dinner. Overall the name says it all !!

Paoli, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

The grounds are beautiful and maintained quite well. The rooms were exceptionally quiet but smelled of mildew and the cleaning was just ok-- they left alot of sand behind on the floor after cleaning the rooms each day. Beds and pillows were the absolute worst I've ever slept on in a hotel. Beds were hard and pillows lumpy and moldy smelling. I asked for some better pillows after the first night but got more of the same. The food quality at the breakfast buffet was good and the variety of choices was exceptional. Lunch was a bit better than breakfast at all of the 3 restaurantopen for lunch. Dinner at the French restaurant was terrific and at the Lobster house, it was good, but nothing special. Drink service at the bars, pool and beach was nice. They came around every 1/2 hour or so to see if we needed more drinks. Unfortunately, we ended up drinking too much most days and by the time the restaraunts opened for dinner, we were too pooped to get dressed and go out. We ended up with room service for dinner or late night snacks, which kinda stunk because the variety and quality of the room service menu was pretty poor. Room service was also slow. It took over an hour to get a pot of coffee and bagels one morning. Night time entertainment was just so-so, from the little we saw or heard from the balcony. The pools were nice, but not heated and the ocean was also a bit on the cooler side in December. Getting into the water was uncomfortable at first, but once you got used to it, it wasn't too bad. Except for the beds, there wasn't anything extremely bad about the resort. However, besides the beauty of the grounds, there was nothing exceptional about it either. I definitely want to go back to Mexico, but will do so in warmer months and will look for a different hotel to stay in--preferably one with high marks on bed comfort and room cleanliness.

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

We stayed at the resort from 11/28 to 12/5/2009. I've stayed at five other all-inclusive resorts on the Riviera Maya, one in Cozumel, and one in Costa Rica but this was my first time at an adults-only resort. We paid a significant amount extra to stay in an ocean-front, Excellence Club room. With all the awards and accolades this resort has garnered, we were expecting something truly special.

As noted by many others, the resort is fairly new, clean, and well laid out. It's smaller than some of the other resorts I've been to in the area, which can be an advantage (easier to get around) or a disadvantage (fewer things to do and see). The beach is nice, with the usual terrific sand, and there are Hobie Cats and kayaks to use. There are no jet ski or parasailing opportunities at the hotel itself.

Our room was very nice but with a couple of bothersome details. The toilet was in its own small room with a door that didn't reach the floor and that was held closed by a very flimsy latch. Our shower was huge but had a slow drain and a variable water temperature even after a repairman supposedly fixed it. There were two whirlpool tubs, one inside and one on the balcony. However, I don't know how many people would bathe on a balcony that is clearly visible from other rooms' balconies. The mattress was very comfortable and the room immaculate.

The food was mostly just OK but the French restaurant was very good.

Many other Riviera Maya resorts have teams of activity people who arrange pool games and other activities and are involved with the evening entertainment. They always amazed me with their enthusiasm, talent, and long work hours. Perhaps because this is an adults-only resort, the activities and the nightly entertainment were generally subdued and the few activity staff were rarely seen. The Michael Jackson show was very entertaining though.

The staff was uniformly courteous and helpful.

The Excellence Club has its own pool and beach area, neither of which is better than any of the other areas of the hotel. Although we had an oceanfront room, we didn't spend any time on the balcony enjoying the view. If I were to go back to this resort I definitely would not pay extra for the Excellence Club.

Overall, the Excellence Riviera Cancun is a very nice place to go if one is looking for a relaxing week. However, I feel that an all-inclusive resort should be more than just a hotel with food and drink included -- there should be an excitement and activity level that is higher than at an ordinary hotel. One could stay at an upscale hotel in Cancun, paying a-la-carte for food and drinks, and have a similar experience as in this resort for a much lower cost.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Excellence Resort to celebrate our anniversary. We read many reviews on Trip Advisor so we were looking forward to a fabulous trip. The Excellence did not disappoint! The moment we arrived, we were greeted with a glass of champagne. The room was nice, albeit quite dark but very comfortable and clean.

Restaurants:
The first night we dined at The Lobster House. The food was subpar and if you are used to Maine Lobsters you will most likely be disappointed. We ate the Chez Isabelle twice, the food was fabulous. The Chateau Brian was delicious! We live in NYC and are foodies and we loved it! Do not miss Agave, great Mexican food and atmosphere. The breakfast buffet at Barcelona was good, plenty of options. We mostly ate at the grill for lunch which was nice as well. Definitely order room service for breakfast. The huevos rancheros and french toast were amazing!!!

Pool/Beach:
The pools and beach were wonderful. Plenty of seats and beds. You have the option of the pool bar area which was pretty lively or more of a secluded area at another pool. Lying on a raft in the pool was definitely a highlight of the trip. One complaint, the water was a little cool but warmed up once you got in.

Entertainment:
The entertainment was okay, Definitely see the Michael Jackson show. We also loved the mayan coffee and wished that we had more opportunities to get. The drinks are fabulous.

Staff:
I cannot say enough about the staff. They are so friendly and accomodating. They are also have a smile whether you tip or not. We definitely tipped the whole week for the amazing service and smile on their face as they say "its a pleasure."

This was our first time and an all-inclusive resort and we were very happy with the Excellence. I would definitely go back and would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!