“Can't wait to return, loved ERC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Melbourne, Florida
“Can't wait to return, loved ERC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at ERC. From the moment we arrived everyone was so nice to us. We had a spa view room in Bldg 4 which if I had a suggestion it would be to ask for either Bldg 2 or Bldg 6. Our room was great it was just a long walk to everything in the hotel and the view was just that a view of the spa building and part of the lazy river. However we had a king bed that was pretty comfortable. Some people say the beds are hard, try the ones at Riu Palace & you will find these are much better. The mini bar was kept fully stocked. Housekeeping kept our room very clean. Everyday we had fresh towels, new soaps and shampoos and clean sheets. Altho they make up the room late in the day if you need fresh towels just ask & they will send them right up.
We thought the food at the restaurants was much better than RPLA. The lobster was great and so was the steak. You couldn't possibly need more food than what they have at breakfast. We had room service one morning and could not eat it all. The only problem I had with the food was I asked for my steak to be med. rare and it was too rare for me. However they took care of it right away. The buffalo chicken wings were just right at lunch time and the Italian restaurant was pretty decent too for one evening.
Almost everyone in the hotel speaks very good english and we did not have any problems communicating. I have been to other hotels that only some of the staff speak English and it is hard to comminicate if you don't know the language. I am trying to learn more every time I visit. They appreciate it if you at least attempt some spanish and will try to help you learn. They also have Spanish lessons everyday. There is free internet in the lobby area, US newspapers and danish & coffee at the Martini Bar if you don't want to go to breakfast.
Everyone works really hard at this hotel. They were always asking if they could do anything for us. There are several tour booking agents in the lobby and they all seem to work together and have about the same pricing. We used Olympus tours because we used them before. We went to Cozumel and Xcaret thru them. We also did the massage at Jungle Spa which is cheaper than the hotel and is not part of the tour packages. It was great.
If you want to take the hotel provided trips to Puerto Morelos or Playa Del Carmen you need to book them on the first day. When we went to book they were full for about 3 or 4 days and we missed out.
We only saw the Michael Jackson show but is was great. Really worth seeing. They do a fantastic job. We also went to the Fiesta on Friday night which had pretty good Mexican Food.
I can't wait to return to Mexico and would gladly stay at Excellence again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,068)
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I dont think anyone could have done more research and spent time on Trip Advisor reading comments about the Excellence than me in the lead up to our holiday. My husband and I stayed for two weeks and celebrated our 26th Wedding Anniversary whilst we were there. From the moment the coach dropped us at the hotel we had the most amazing, relaxing and wonderful time.

The rooms were lovely and well equipped and we spent many a time in the jacuzzi and certainly made use of the of privacy box to deliver hot water and pastries in the morning! The staff could not have been more courteous and willing to go that extra mile whether you tipped or not but we were more than happy to tip on the service we received. The Excellence has an array of great staff but special mention goes to Humberto, Veronica, Roberto, Misael, Gaby for her lovely smile and service and not forgetting Presidente - aka Antonio.

Hotel grounds were lovely and although not beach lovers did spend some time on there. You were only sat on your sun loungers be it round the pool or beach no longer than 5 mins before a waiter came to take your drinks order. Great fun was had with the floaties going round the various lazy rivers. Weather was divine and in the whole two weeks had no more than 15 mins of rain.

Only saw one show - Michael Jackson tribute which we both thoroughly enjoyed. The X Lounge was amazing. To relax on beds gazing up on the stars is something not to miss. Martini bar great way to start and end your evening with a tequila or two.

We enjoyed our meals in all the restaurants and the breakfasts in the Barcelona certainly set you up for the day! The Habachi at Spice was a great experience and was made by the service received from Roberto and the Chef Gerrardo - brill. Chez Izabelle for romance and chateaubriand. Check out the spicy chicken wings and beef kebabs in the Grill at lunchtime yum yum. Came back 6.5lbs heavier!!!!

Made friends with some great people - Cap-i-tan Keith and lovely wife Kay plus Joanne n Craig a great young couple going places celebrating their honeymoon. Will def stay in touch.

All in all we had the best two weeks holiday and will certainly be hoping to revisit again next year

oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

We spent seven wonderful nights at the Excellence at the Riviera Maya. The resort architecture is well done with a "Hacienda Style". If you are looking for a party atmosphere this is not the resort for you. This is a resort for couples to relax and forget about the real world for a while. When you walk into the Lobby you are welcome to a very well lid, clean and A/C place. Service at the lobby was quick and we felt welcome right away. Not like other places that you have to wait until check-in time in order to feel welcome.

The rooms were well done in my opinion. The room came with all the facilities like double sink, jacuzzi, TV (didn't use it at all), shower, 4 post king size bed, safety box, two phones, snack bar etc. All rooms comes with a room service box. You don't have to wake up or get out of bed to open the door for room service (24 hr. room service).

The restaurants were good. A few miscues but in general were pretty good. They need a little bit of more flavor on some of the restaurants. There are plenty of choices from French, Mexican, Italian, Seafood, Asian, etc. A lot of choices for bars too. Good house wine from CHILE and a wide variety of a la carte wines.

The lobby bar is a beauty. A/C next to the french and Asian restaurant.

The beach is good with plenty of palapas or shades with lunge chairs. The beach itself due to the location have some sea weed. But it gets comb everyday by a tractor. If you have sensitive feet soles I recommend some water socks due to some small coral rocks. Otherwise, I enjoyed and is not rough so is easy to swim in it.

The SPA is excellent. Due to the lack of customers we received good discounts and we enjoyed the best Spa so far. Very professional and the installations are first rate.

Entertainment is available every night and there are good shows. Some did criticize the Circus show but they didn't explain that is only one night. Every night is a different show. I liked them all.

Free internet with printer and coffee. Other resorts... charge a fee! Excellent for Excellence.

If you like swimming pools... there are plenty of them. Some are like lazy rivers that you will float away to other places. Others are hidden between the room towers. Yes, they have a swim bar.

The employees were very polite with us and most of them spoke fluent or very little English. They have a very professional and helpful staff.

Fitness center: Is nice but we didn't use it.

For the price and service the Excellent resort offers I think is an excellent choice. We were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Firstly let me give the positives, the staff are fantastic and will go above and beyond to ensure your stay is a good one. Special mention to Amabele & Mosies ec pool, Roberto from Spice and Victor in the excellence club. Rooms were great with fantastic views from 8353 and toiletries were very good. Shower running hot & cold was the only minor annoyance but you are in Mexico.
The grounds are nice if overrun with mosquitoes during our stay which was a problem (over 30 bad bites between us and I use repellents morning, noon & night!)
The spa area was being overhauled and other areas were being restored, all of which would not spoil your overall experience, but my major problem was with the food.
Most meals were not hot and meats and chicken dishes were poor quality. I feel that this needs mentioning as the staff could not be faulted but a lot of our dishes were frozen chicken, older lamb, poor quality beef etc. The fish and seafood were of a good standard but I prefer meat and chicken so it did spoil my enjoyment.
We did try all restaurants except Barcelona for dinner and had the same experience at all of them. If food is not an important part of your holiday I'm sure you will enjoy this resort but if it is, you may want to look elsewhere. We did stay at the Grand Paraiso in Feb and could not fault that hotel so please don't think I'm overly picky on the food front but this is MHO

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I just got back earlier this week from my honeymoon with my wife and after months of planning and reading reviews let me reassure everyone that the reviews are all true. This place is AWESOME!! It is the pure definition of Excellence.

We stayed in the Excellence Club Junior suite Ocean view and the minute we arrived someone comes with fresh towels and champagne. It took us 20 mins to check in and from the minute we arrived everyone was so kind to us.

Restaurants - We went to all expect the Lobster house ( we hate Lobster) The best was the Grill and the French Restaurant and the worst was Spice. The food was awful but each person has different opinions and I am not going to bash the place for 1 restaurant.

The pools were great and they were at 40% capacity and we had no problems getting chairs by the pool or the beach. The staff at the excellence club would get you drinks every 2 mins. We really miss Moises and Abelardo!! I wish the pools were deeper then 4 feet.

The rooms were amazing and clean and stocked with water and drinks. I loved chilling on the balcony with a Dos Equis or making a cocktail from the liquor cabinet watching the sunset while my wife was getting dressed.

The entertainment was great... they put on fun shows every night and the best one was the Michael Jackson legends show. The whole hotel was there watching and dancing.

We went on excursions and had a blast doing the jungle tour and scuba diving. The whole time you were in good hands and the staff wanted to make sure you had a great time. Every night they would come in your room and leave you the next days event sheet.

We ventured out of the hotel a few times to go shopping and sightseeing (it cost 35 bucks coming and going to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen) Cancun was packed with young kids going clubbing.. it felt like Spring Break for us all over again and we didnt stay long but we loved Playa Del Carnen. It was pure Mexico!! the shops and the restaurants. If you want to eat at Chillis or Pizza Hut and drink Starbucks go to Cancun. If you want to experience Mexico go to Playa Del Carmen.

Everything else we just sat back and enjoyed.. we really couldn't find anything to complain about. I loved every minute being there and my tan is still glowing. We live in NYC and the cold already has begun.

The Spa was sooo amazing and worth it.. We were on our honeymoon and so our package included a free session. Even if it didnt we would of booked one just for the hell of it. Your on vacation and this hotel treats you like a king.. sometimes you need to pamper yourself!!

One night we had dinner on the beach and it was very romantic and fun.. the guy playing the harp played Beatles Songs and we sang along.
Important Notes - bring your own lotion, aloe, amenities. The shop at the hotel is expensive!! Venture out and go souvenir shopping.

ALSO BRING SMALL BILLS!!! DO NOT BRING LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY!! THE HOTEL SCREWS YOU OVER. 1 DOLLAR IS 14 PESOS AND THE HOTEL CHARGES 11.50. Sure it means nothing breaking a 20 dollar bill but if you keep going back then will charge you more. Also no one in Mexico has change!!! The Cabs, Restaurants.. They lie ofcourse but just make sure you have small bills. Dont buy a 5 dollar shirt with a 50 dollar bill.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.. I will be more then happy to help!! Trust me this hotel is the best!!!

Erol Bal

Ebal24@aol.com

Chicago suburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

My Husband & I traveled with another couple for our anniversaries and we had a fantastic time. We stayed from Oct 3rd to Oct 10th. The resort is beautiful and very clean. The weather was great, only rained a couple of times for about 15 minutes each and low 90's every day. This was our 3rd AI, Jamaica, Punta Cana and the Excellence and this place had the best food out of the three. The food wasn't great but better then good for the most part. We had a swimout room (3004) across from the spa. I wasn't excited about having a swimout room, I generally like a high view but this was a great idea thanks to my husband and friends. I don't think we would have spent as much time in the pool otherwise. The resort is pretty quite. The shows are good but corny like most resorts but entertaining none the less. The Michael Jackson show is good, the guy really looks and dances like him BUT they should either get a new choreographer for the back up dancers or take them out. The only thing this resort is lacking is daytime entertainment at the main pool. They have live music once a day around 3:00 at thats it. They do have texas hold-em at noon everyday, our husbands played once and had fun. All in all, we had a great week, they really treat you well and we are thinking about going to the new Excellence in Jamaica next trip.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I spent four glorious days at ERC and I could have stayed forever. Before I begin, I should say, we are fairly well traveled and I am both a food and hotel snob. Because our stay was so short, we opted for the Excellence Club swim up ocean view room. It was a difference of $300 and worth every penny. I may repeat what others have said, but it's okay because to hear it again makes people more secure in their choice. We arrived using Olympus tours, less than 20 minutes from the airport. As soon as we got there, we were greeted with champagne and cool towels and because we were staying in the EC, we were escorted immediately to the EC lounge where we were checked in. The lounge was a nice size room with leather couches and chairs, three computers and a printer for guests to use, a flat screen TV and there were finger foods, pastries, coffees, teas, champagne and a full bar. It was a nice place to stop off, use the computers, have a snack, cool off and plan the next part of the trip. Okay, so I will give some highlights:
The room - was beautiful..exactly like all of the pictures, clean, spacious, and modern. We had a flat screen satellite TV, DVD player, a jacuzzi inside and out, hammock on the patio, two lounge chairs and steps from the pool and a quick swim to the bar..just wonderful, the view was beautiful of the pool and ocean as a backdrop, truly paradise, I can still see the view from my hammock and I will post a picture. The room also had a mini bar stocked with beer, sodas, juice, candy, peanuts..and they restocked daily. The room was serviced beautifully and the turn down service was very nice. There was the typical musty smell you get in the tropics, but that was to be expected and did not bother us...you could burn incense if you want, it was in the room. The bed was fine. The location was great, only steps from the beach and far enough from everything else to be ultra quiet and peaceful. We rarely left the EC side of the hotel.
The food - was very good, nothing to complain about..definitely high quality for an all inclusive, although we did not eat at every restaurant. We had breakfast and lunch at Barcelona and both were great, excellent guacamole, nice selection and absolutely wonderful service. For dinner we ate at the Lobster House, Chez Isabelle and Agave. Lobster House was great, we had grilled lobster and filet mignon, all perfectly prepared. We went to Chez Isabelle the same night as the Mexican Fiesta because it was going to be closed the next day and we wanted to experience it. I wish we had gone to the fiesta. CI was very nice, but nothing all that impressive...the food was good, but not worth missing the fiesta. We both had steak..it was well prepared and tasty...all good, but again, not worth missing the fiesta. Agave was very good...tasty Mexican dishes, but for some reason the night we ate there, there were no mariachis, which made us even more disappointed that we had skipped the fiesta, but the food was good. We had room service for lunch one day..very good, we asked for a few things that were not on the menu and they made it. The only bar we used was at the Excellence Club pool and the service was great and drinks very good. I drank the house wines and they were fine, no need to pay extra for more expensive wines. Overall, my favorite was Lobster House and I would have eaten there again if we had stayed longer.
The beach - soft lovely sand, awesome beach beds, we fell asleep one day under the palapa to the sounds of the ocean waves, it was glorious. The beach on the EC was not crowded and the drink service was great. I was a bit concerned when I read that the water was not great because we are Jamaica people and spend hours floating in the perfect ocean when in JA. The water in Riviera Maya was not crystal clear like that, but it was warm and people were swimming in it. I didn't because it was rocky and I was a little nervous about not being able to see to the bottom, but that is my phobia, not a complaint. I will say, we did not miss beach swimming for a second with the beautiful pool, hammock by our room and beach beds on which to lounge. So, if you are concerned about the beach, it is not the same as the Caribbean, but it is fine, and if you don't swim in it, you won't miss it. Despite not being great for swimming, it is amazingly picturesque.
Service - There is nothing to say, but perfect....everyone was friendly and went out of their way to make our trip wonderful. They decorated our table with rose petals numerous times. They made a special table design the day we were leaving. We did tip, didn't notice if everyone did, but we did and the service surely warranted it.
The grounds - stunning...everywhere you looked, it was like a picture on a postcard.
Excellence Club - In addition to what I have already said, I believe it was worth the extra money for the use of the lounge, the very quiet pool, and the beautiful ocean view.
Overall, we had a fantastic time, we didn't leave that pool until 20 minutes before we had to leave the hotel. I went to the airport in my bathing suit..I couldn't bear to leave. This place was awesome, believe me, you will love it! I would return in a minute.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!