“Excellente!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 35%
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Worksop
“Excellente!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

If you've booked to go here you'll not be disappointed, the standards of service, cleanliness and quality certainly live up to it's name. We had a standard room which was spacious and cleaned daily plus a turn down service. The first week we stayed was quite (due to swine flu) but I loved it as we had the pick of restaurants, sun loungers etc, in the second week we did have to be paged a couple of times for restaurant not that it's a problem as your on holiday in a fantastic hotel, the sun loungers were harded to get if you wanted shade in our second week and believe me you'll need some shade, this wasn't the hotels fault just the selfish guests who put a towel out to reserve a bed then turned up hours later, some people also took about 5 towels each and on a couple of occasions we had to search for a clean beach towel but the hotel staff were replenising as quick as they could.

The staff, one word "Excellent" so genuinely friendly and they could not do enough for you, you must get a Mojito from the Martini Bar - it's made to perfection, mind you so are the Margaritas, Miami Vices, Tequilla Sunrise... the list is endless!

Food - "Excellent" I loved the French Restaurant and the Lobster House/Bar & Grill but all the food I had was fantastic.

Negative (finding this hard but it is a constructive review) - Location is isolated and not within walking distance to a town it's centrally place between Cancun and Playa del Carmen - however this might be a positive for you. As far as the location in relation to the beach and sea goes this is a little piece of paradise as you'll see from my photos.

If you've never been to Mexico before be prepared to struggle with your next holiday as you'll find it hard to beat the standards and friendliness that Mexico offers - and one last word - Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,416)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

First let me say that I’d hate for someone not to choose ERC based on some of my nitpicking. Nonetheless, I feel that the details need to be pointed out so that you can get the complete picture. In addition, I highly recommend that you read and post in the forums. They contain much more information about the resorts and the area than you can get from just reading reviews.

In all, we had a great time; we may not return just because there are so many resorts in the area to choose from and we tend to go with the best deal at the time we book. We have been to the Royal Hideaway, Royal Cancun, The Valentin, Royal PDC, The Sun Palace, Moon Palace, Golden Parnassus, Omni Cancun and I have been to the Krystal Cancun almost 20 years ago. My wife as been to even more resorts in the area with her parents when she was a teenager (Iberostars, Barcelos…) The Mayan Riviera/Cancun is almost a second home to us; after all, we were married there, we honeymooned there and apart from a trip to the RIU Ocho Rios in Jamaica, every vacation we have taken since we have been a couple has been to this side of Mexico. We have been married for four years and traveling to tropical all-inclusives is part of our fabric as a couple. We would like to visit more places but the prices, variety, quality and familiarity of Cancun/Riviera Maya keeps us coming back.

COMMON QUESTIONS:
Reservations are NOT required at any of the restaurants.
There are no wristbands
There are no towel cards
Room service is 24 hours
The resort is adults only
High speed internet is available free of charge in the rooms
They have a daily shuttle to Puerto Morelos
Indoor restaurants require pants for men. Nice shorts are allowed at the outdoor restaurants. Tank tops are not allowed in the restaurants. A t-shirt will do during the day; a collared shirt is needed at night.

Now on to the meat and potatoes…

SERVICE: The place where this resort really shines is their service. I can’t think of one instance where the staff answered a request with a “no” (except when I was asking for a free upgrade to an EC swim out room +$225/night). We ordered off the menu several times at the Grill and Lobster House, we made special requests for our mini bar, we asked for more pillows, a mattress pad and they even accommodated us (and delivered) with our request for room cleaning between 12 and 3 PM. One particular thing comes to mind: the bartender next to the spa didn’t have the proper ingredients to make an apple martini for my wife. The bartender took her order and ran over to the closest bar (easily a 5 min walk, he ran) to get her drink. When we saw what he was doing, we told him that his effort wasn’t necessary and would order something else. He would have nothing to do with my wife not having the drink she wanted so he continued to fetch her apple martini after apple martini without hesitation. He did the same thing for other guests and we tried to order drinks when he was making a trip for several others. Great service all around and probably the best I have experienced at an all inclusive resort - more about the service later.

ROOMS: We were in room 5005 which was a standard swim out. Since the resort is 5 years old, the room looks a little outdated but it was still nice. Some of the things in the newer resorts that I missed where dual shower heads, abundance of electrical outlets, comfy beds with high end linens/pillows. Nonetheless, I still feel the room was good enough for a resort at this price point. The bed was very firm but I would not say it is hard like the cheap beds found at some resorts. The hot water was consistent and the water pressure was good. The ac was strong but the room was very damp (damper than other resorts I have been to). The lazy river bar was right across the pool from our room and it is now a full service bar (everything I read prior to the trip said it only had smoothies). I did not see any wait staff walking around to the swim up rooms so I am glad the bar was close by. They had the usual TV channels – HBO, Cinemax, CNN, FOX News, ABC, NBC, ESPN Latin America, American Network and a few adult channels. The mini bar had Dos Equis, Tecate, Sol, water, soft drinks and a couple snacks. As the bellman brought up to our room upon arrival, he, completely unsolicited, offered to switch out anything in the mini bar that we did not need and replace it with what we wanted. He also offered Sprite Zero which was not originally in the bar. TIP: bring a 20’ extension cord if you need power for anything by the bed. Also, bring a 3 prong – 2 prong adaptor and 20’ CAT-5 cable for internet service because it is not wireless.

The room did have some negatives other than what I mentioned above. I doubt I would get a non EC swim out again because the patio had almost no breeze at night and I like to sit outside in the evening. The clock in the room had an iPod dock which was nice but the face was dark blue with black numbers so was impossible to read unless you stood 2 ft away from it. It did, however, manage to light up the entire room at night - we ended up unplugging it. Probably the worst part about the room is that it is very dark. They really need to upgrade the lighting. My wife is 26 with great vision and she felt it was way too dark (except at night with that supernova of a clock beaming from the corner of the room). We did have to have our phone replaced because the mouthpiece smelled as if there was mold growing in it. I can’t stress how nasty it smelled but they took care of it immediately when I brought it to their attention.

POOL: We only used the lazy river and the main pool with the swim up bar. It would be nice if they raised the water level in the pools because the stools at the swim up bar are too high for the water level - one of the keys to a good swim up bar is that you don’t feel the booze as much when you are immersed in water. The main pool seemed a little small and it did get a little crowded. There were plenty of floats but some people tended to hoard them. The staff would remove them from the pool deck on occasion and toss them back in the water when their “owner” wasn’t looking. It’s nice to see that they recognized the problem and tried to rectify it in the most tactful way possible. You did have to reserve a spot in the shade early but it was not as bad as I have seen at other resorts.

BEACH: The sand is great and you will have no problem finding shade. The water is not the best and I only went in for a couple minutes the entire week. There is a fair amount of sea grass and the water is not very clear. If you are looking for a fantastic swimming beach, you will be disappointed.

FOOD: We felt that the food was decent overall at ERC by all inclusive standards. A couple meals were good by any standard. The Grill/Lobster house was the best – you could order from both menus and you could order off the menu. When we ate dinner at the Lobster House, they did not have surf and turf on the menu. The waiter said it was no problem. The brought us a nice fillet with a lobster tail grilled with garlic butter. The lobster was OK but the steak was quite good. The portion was rather large.

Our next favorite was the Asian restaurant – we ate there twice. You MUST eat at the hibachi tables though. Do not eat at a regular table or you will have a different experience. This goes for every AI resort you go to for the rest of your life – repeat after me - always eat at the hibachi table! Here is the difference: you can get personalized service and fresh food cooked in front of your face or you can get run of the mill service with substandard asianesque food. Another nice thing about hibachi tables is you get to meet other people. At the Asian restaurant, ask to be seated in Antonio’s section. He was a fantastic waiter - he waited on us hand and foot, got every order right and he even brought me a bucket of beers on ice when he realized how quickly I down beers.

The French restaurant was so-so and my steak was not beef tenderloin – it was ¼ in thick and about the size of a porterhouse. Even butterflied, there is no way they could produce a fillet that looked like that. The Mexican was not very good but the Mexican food is usually bad at resorts. The Italian was OK but the pizza wasn’t too bad by ai resort standards. Of course, breakfast was always good. We really liked that there were casual options each night and it was nice that they had the casual Italian restaurant open late. If we return to ERC, we would probably just eat at The Grill, Lobster House, Asian restaurant and the late night Italian.

ROOM SERVICE: Overall it was fine and things were usually correct. When they were not, they were fixed immediately. One frustration I have always had at every resort – it always seems like it is impossible to get two large pots of coffee and two large containers of cream. No resort has ever been able to accomplish this and I don’t know why. Perhaps I need to learn how to order it in Spanish. In addition, they never used the Xbox even when I asked them to. I even put a tip in the box but they still came to the door. The Royals have the same feature and they use it sporadically as well. I also wish they would give me a tray to put everything on so I can easily put everything back in the box when we are done. It is a pain to have to make 10 trips between the Xbox and the table to clear everything out.

BARS: Overall they were great but we didn’t like the swim up bar that much. This was sort of a downer because that is our hang out during the day. Aside from the high stools, they could have used an additional bartender and the one that was there was not that great. The person they replaced him with on his day off was much better. There was a noticeable difference between the pina coladas produced by the regular swim up bartender and every other bartender at the resort and his apple martinis tasted like lighter fluid compared to the ones at the lazy river bar. The XLounge was good on one night and not so good on another. On the bad night, the waiter disappeared for 30 minutes. I’m not blaming the waiter; I just think they need to find a way for him to get drinks faster. Overall, the XLounge was a nice feature.

FYI about the selection: Beer in cans – Dos Equis Lager, Sol, Tecate Light, Tecate, Coors Light. In addition, I saw Corona, Budweiser and Dos Equis Amber in bottles at the Grill. The wine was pretty bad – the sauv blanc was really acidic and the cab was terrible. My wife usually doesn’t drink merlot but the Chilean one seemed like the most drinkable wine available. They didn’t have top shelf booze but they did have some stuff that many people look for: Malibu, Captain Morgan’s, Absolute, Stoli, Chivas, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire. All of the bars had mint for mojitos and they were usually decent – made with real sugar rather than simple syrup. All I drink on vacation is Beer, mojitos, pina coladas, gin&tonics and Captain&Cokes so I was a happy camper

Overall, the main thing I will remember from ERC was the service. Everyone did everything we asked without hesitation. We were glad that they didn’t force the staff to say hello to us every five seconds or place their hands over their heats when greeting us (like the Royals). The hospitality seemed less contrived and more genuine. Again the service from the bellman, Antonio and the bartender at the lazy river bar was over the top.

How does ERC compare to other resorts we have visited? I would say it is on par with the Valentin and the Royals. Each resort has its good points and bad points. If you are headed to ERC, don’t worry. You will have a great time.

LauraWNY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We spent our honeymoon at this resort and loved every single minute of it! The facilities are impeccable and the food is fabulous. But what really sets this place apart is the staff. These folks bend over backwards making sure guests are happy.

The crowd is mostly couples and honeymooners. We saw a few groups of couples travelling together. The resort attracts a subdued, well-mannered, respectful crown which is very nice at an all-inclusive. Although gratuities are included, a lot of people tip nonetheless. We generally left $4 or so at breakfast and $5 or so at dinner. Like I said, the staff is lovely.

The breakfast and lunch buffet are great and ended up being our favorites. As for dinner, 6 of the resort's 8 restaurants are open on any given night. Toscana and the Hobster House were our favorites. We would have liked to try the Mexican restaurant. They have a Mexican night on Fridays, during which they set up tables and dinner buffet out on the plaza. They hire a really great Mariachi band too. (I usually am not a fan of mariachi bands during dinner in enclosed restaurants but this band was great.) The wine selection is pretty limited, but I ended up not caring.

Nightly entertainment was of the usual vacation resort variety.

We took a day trip to Tulum. Booked it through the hotel concierge. Their price was cheaper than the tour companies located on site. Tulum was stunning. We've visited Chichen Itza in the past - it is a long trip, but well-worth the effort. Consider hiring a taxi so that you can come and go at your own pace.

I didn't try the spa, as prices were a little steep, I thought. I walked around, though, and it was very clean and pretty.

Basically, the worst thing I have to say about this resort is that the pillows and mattress could have been softer. Absolutely no other criticisms!

I could go on and on and on, but then I would just be sad about having had to leave!

We will most certainly return!!!

Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

For our honeymoon and first trip to Mexico, we searched long and hard for a hotel with very specific qualities: adults-only (but not risque), fantastic food without the hassle of having to make reservations, free 24-hour room service and a bit of seclusion from the outside world. Excellence Riveria had it all, and then some!

Location: the hotel is located down a small road just off the main highway, making it slightly secluded. Wonderful feature! The grounds were amazingly maintained, beautiful and plush with greenery, especially gorgeous when everything is all lit-up at night. The beach is great - feels like powder, lots of room to lounge and no one trying to sell you anything. However, we found the pool much more refreshing, as the ocean is quite warm.

Rooms: very clean, mini-bar completely restocked everyday with snacks and drinks (including beer), large shower and great turn-down service. We also loved the simplicity of the in-room safe. Our favorite part, at the end of a long day and after a great night of wining and dining, was to return to our room and find the bed fluffed and an itinerary, as well as the weather forecast, for the next day placed on one corner. Also, as many others have said, we did not feel that it was necessary to upgrade to the Excellence Club (its pretty much just one pool and a bar!) or to get a swim-up room (they do not get pool service and the loungers are constantly shaded from the sun).

Room Service: there is a fantastic book in your room that lists every restaurant (hours and dress codes), as well as what is available to be ordered from room service during specific hours. You just call down, place your order and either have your food placed in the privacy box or brought in and set up in your room. The food is great and it comes very quickly! Tip - we found that you could order things that weren't even on the menu, like french fries, and that its better to call down to let them know that you have dishes to be picked up, otherwise, they might sit there all night. Also, we ordered a wake-up call and coffee for the same time every morning, which was great, but sometimes, instead of just putting your coffee in the privacy box, they would do so, and then knock on the door to let you know it was there. Kind of silly, but not a real complaint!

Service: the entire resort is filled with the kindest, most helpful and cheery people! You are welcomed back to restaurants with a smile (and sometimes a hug!) The gardeners even stop to say hello to you! Everyone moves quickly and they are more than happy to get you whatever you need! Within days of our stay, dozens of people knew our names and we knew that we were going to miss them (Roberto at Spice, Lorenzo at our pool, and Jesus, our bellhop, especially!). Even in such hot weather, Lorenzo was incredibly gracious and the most hard-working person we have ever seen! Overall, the service is very quick, classy and friendly.

Food: first of all, no reservations at any of the restaurants! If we had to wait, we were given a buzzer, went and had a drink and were called within at least 10 or 15 minutes. The service at the restaurants was outstanding! The food, amazing!
Most importantly for me, as I am a vegan, was that every restaurant (except The Grill, which is a steakhouse) had a vegetarian menu that I could order right from, or simply modify slightly. Agave was my favorite (three-color enchiladas and guacamole!) and Chez Isabelle had the most amazing vegetarian french onion soup!
My husband and I could not get enough of The Lobster House, breakfast, lunch and dinner! It has a great view, nice breeze and the biggest lobster my husband has ever seen (and he's from the East Coast!).
Barcelona and Toscana are basically two shared buffet restaurants, which gave you tons of options all day long! Oregano had wonderful pizzas and was open until 1am. And Spice had great tempura! Every restaurant had something to love!
The Martini Bar is constantly crowded with ladies ordering Cosmos and such, plus its indoors, so we did not go there often. And the Blue Bar and Sol Bar were located at the busiest, most rowdiest pool - again, we prefered a bit more quiet lounging at the Cafe Kafe or the Stars Bar in the theatre.

Entertainment: live bands, singers and activities all day long! We took a bike tour to Puerto Morelos (little town close by), did pilates, took Spanish lessons and our favorite, tequila-tasting lessons! Fantastic shows at night in the theatre, with plenty of drinks and room for everyone! A couple of times a week, there would be a theme (Carribean or Mexican), and the staff would set up a great dinner for all the guests either in the courtyard or on the beach with live entertainment! Lucky for us, we arrived on the 4th of July and there was a big celebration with lots of yeehas, Sweet Home Alabama and fried chicken, mostly due to the incredibly large Texan population at the resort. It was funny to watch, because we are Canadian... It was a good time!

Recommendations: go the the CrocoCun (Ecological) Alligator Farm and Zoo at the end of the road to the resort, by the highway - its cheap, very clean, they give a great guided tour and for $2 you can buy a bag of goodies to feed to all the animals!

If you are booking tours to places like Xcaret or Tulum, don't feel obligated to book through your travel company representative - we found that some of the other groups had better prices or packages that we liked better than our own, so we just booked through them. Great tip from a St. Louis couple we met!

Sip on shots of tequila and sangrita (not sangria) after a nice dinner - great digestif!

Learn some basic Spanish - almost every person asks if you speak it and they really enjoy conversing in their own language.

Finally, stay at this hotel! Coming back from an excursion was like coming home, and I cried at the end of our stay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

This was our second visit to Mexico - we stayed at EDR last year and decided to try ERC this time.
We upgraded to premium class, which was well worth the extra. Both flights were very comfortable, but the biggest boon was on our return. Last year we queued at check in for more than 2 hours - this time, we didn't queue at all - just checked straight in.
ERC was the 2nd stop on transfer. We were greeted with cool towels and champagne, then our concierge took us to our room, which was in block 6 on then 2nd floor. It was our anniversary while we were there and the door sported an anniversary banner. Inside, we had champagne on ice and a plate of fruit; we also had rose petals on the bed and some lovely towel art.
The room was beautiful. It was cleaned twice a day and the minibar replenished daily. The only thing I wasn't really keen on was the open plan bathroom area. We've been married a long time, but there are still some things that are better kept private! Also, our jaccuzi/coffee maker didn't work properly and the toilet door wouldn't stay shut. We reported these faults to our concierge twice, but nothing was done, and he didn't get bak to us, which was what he promised to do on the second complaint.
The restaurants were fantastic. We tried all of them, although our favourite was the Lobster House for evening dinner and The Grill for lunch. We went to Chez Isabelle for our anniversary and had a special romantic menu, which was lovely.
How did it compare with EDR?
Well - we agreed that there was little to choose between them, when you weighed up all the options.. ERC had a better beach, although the sea wasn't as nice as at EDR because of the seaweed. We loved the X Lounge as a place to chill out in the evening - EDR had nothing like this, but the Smoothie bar at EDR was brilliant and ERC didn't have anything like that. I think that next year it'll be a case of which one offers the best price!
The best thing about ERC was definitely its staff - there was nothing that was too much trouble for them. We were completely spoilt, and it was lovely.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

There are a ton of reviews on this site, so will try to make mine as organized and helpful as possible:

ROOMS: Very spacious and well appointed. We were in building 9 and if we went back, I would ask for another placement - our view was more of the surrounding property than of the ERC pool/grounds. Due to the humidity outside the rooms are VERY humid inside - it felt as though the bed (which was pretty firm) sheets were sweating when we got into them at night. The Excellence Club was nice and had a separate lounge and pool and beach areas, but I don't know that it seemed worth the extra money. The A/C is quite noisy when on but if you like white noise, you'll be happy.

POOLS: Were very beautiful and well maintained. Water is only 3 feet 8 inches deep. Temperature is perfect. I did not find people smoking around the resort to be a problem. There are busier/more social pools and quieter pools, and you can choose which you prefer.

ENTERTAINMENT: The staff provides lots of entertainment during the day and at night, including (don't read if you want to be surprised) beach and water volleyball, poker, cooking classes, kitchen tour, tennis clinics, water polo, paint your own pottery, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, and more. At night, don't miss the Michael Jackson impersonator and the Circus Show.

DAY TRIPS: We used Best Day for day trips and were happy with them overall, though they do stuff the minivans full to complete capacity. Because of the location of ERC, you are one of the last to be picked up on the way to your destination and the first one to be dropped off when the excursion is over. This can be good (you don't spend hours picking up and dropping off other passengers) and bad (you get the worst seat on the van). Would recommend the Chichen Itza trip and snorkeling in Puerto Morelos.

SERVICE: Was very friendly to the point of occasionally being obsequious. But for the most part, folks seemed genuine and were extremely nice.

FOOD: I'm sorry; my husband and I are not particularly picky, but this was our least favorite part. I believe the chefs were really trying to do their best, and the breakfast and lunch buffets were very good (although don't plan on having cereal, as the milk is never cold). The dinners, however, were just okay. Any very good restaurant in our small city could make a better dinner than almost any of the ones we had at ERC. The best meals we had in Cancun were the ones outside of the resort, in particular, lunch at Chichen Itza and during the snorkeling day at Puerto Morelos. Our best meals at ERC were at the oceanfront Caribbean buffet night and at Chez Isabelle (sea bass and chocolate cake). Not surprisingly, I imagine, it just seemed like all the restaurants used the same basic few ingredients, and if you didn't like or didn't eat some of those (heavy on the shellfish, for example), you didn't have a whole lot of choices. Our waiter at Agave Mexican restaurant was wonderful, but honestly, I've had better (and seemingly more authentic) Mexican food from Mexican immigrants who've opened their own great (and inexpensive) restaurants in my city. I also wish there were more vegetarian options here - it seemed like there was a lot of red meat. Again, the chefs obviously were trying hard, the presentation was wonderful and the service was very good, but the quality of the food was just okay.

GENERAL: This was our first stay at an all-inclusive, and it took a little getting used to, but we warmed up to it. The room service menu is somewhat limited but very convenient; the fitness center is great and the facilities are well maintained. We did leave a couple of dollars in tips at many meals. If I had some extra money to spend, I don't know that this would be my first choice to return to. But if you want an easy, relaxing, carefree vacation to just get away from it all, this fits the bill wonderfully.

Gaithersburg, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Overall, this place was fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. If you like a relaxing, peaceful place to float on a raft all day and either swim up to the pool bar or have people bring you every different kind of tropical drink while you bask in the beautiful sun, you will love this place.
There were some highlights and some negatives about the trip, so I'll spell out some of those details:
THE GOOD: nice shower in the room, robe/slippers provided, the resort was quiet, not too crowded, there's water everywhere, everything is very clean, the staff is very friendly, accommodating, and hospitable, amazing breakfast buffet, live music day and night, circus show was incredible, incense in the room, 24-hr room svc (delicious food). We ate at Spice, Barcelona, Lobster House, and The Grille, which were all great. Delicious food in beautiful settings. Couples only!!! No offense, kids, but it was nice to have some mature adult time, and it was almost exclusively couples. I also loved the pool temperature (so warm, there's no adjustement time to get in) and I loved the hammocks hanging everywhere, especially the ones over the pool.
THE BAD: complaints were few and far between, but our biggest complaint was people smoking, and that was everywhere, including in the pool. it would be nice if they had some more rafts and towels available around the pool. We sometimes had to search for a raft in several places before finding one, at which point you basically want to make it "your" raft for the day so you wouldn't have to search again. Having more plentiful rafts would alleviate this minor problem. Also, having an exhaust fan in our bathroom would have been nice. We dealt with it, but would have preferred more privacy. The floor is also very cold and hard in the room, so you'll need the slippers to walk around. The bed was not very comfortable or luxurious. We were on the third floor and the elevator was broken the whole time we were there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!