“Excellence = EXCELLENT!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Redondo Beach, California
“Excellence = EXCELLENT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is simply fantastic. Came here for my honeymoon and this is just the perfect place for couples. No kids allowed :) Almost every room we saw had an Anniversary or Honeymoon sash on it. We did see one group of girlfriends at the resort, but since this place is so low-key and relaxing, I do not think it would be as fun for a friend trip.

We came in September and the hotel was about half full, which meant the pools and beach always had plenty of prime seating. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. We booked a few excursions through the resort which was super easy and convenient. This place is so great though, you don't even need to leave the grounds to have an amazing vacation.

The rooms are very nice. We just had a regular suite and it was wonderful--I'm sure the upgraded rooms are to die for. There is a mini fridge the staff restocks every day with sodas, beer and a few snacks (which unfortunately I ate every day).

The food is all very good. My favorite restaurants were the Indian food place and the seafood open-air restaurant (this one might have just been open for lunch). Their drinks are all really good as well. They will make you whatever you like and most of the bars have extensive cocktail menus if you want a more creative beverage.

One week was not enough time to spend here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,964)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We enjoyed this Excellence resort as much as the one at Playa Mujeres. Last year we stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres. We wanted to go back this year but it was very costly to return to EPM. So we decided to try the sister resort at Excellence Riviera Cancun. Upon our arrival the entrance to this resort was awesome compared to EPM. The resorts though overall are very similar. That is why we were pleased to go back for about the same price. When we arrived we were asked if we were celebrating anything, which our anniversary was the day before. Usually hotels will do something special, give you wine, an upgrade, etc and although they asked - we got nothing extra. Since we have everything we need it didn't really matter but if you are asked it should at least be recognized. The restaurants for the most part are exactly the same type and named so we felt we knew what to expect. Follow the dress code or they will send you away - make sure men's long (pants)shorts are down to the knee or longer. The verbiage is slightly different than what we would have called it but long short are allowed as well as pants at some restaurants. The theatre area at ERC is bigger and seats more people! We loved this area, the breezeway, and seating! Very nice! I will say that most of the shows never started on time which only really bugged me one time when it ran 35 min late. Not that there's anything else to do at night, but it would be nice if if followed the timeline. When we visited Playa Mujeres the service was ALWAYS excellent - here, the waiters got to you when they could, no one pitched in to help each other-Not that you had anything else to do either...it just took more time to eat and we were not attended to as well as at the other resort. The Lobster House is one of our favorites but the management could do a better job with the servers, etc. Maybe they were short handed or didn't have appropriate staffing - still a little disappointing. Food was still GREAT! Our most favorite meal was at Chez Isabelle - AWESOME FOOD AND SERVICE!! We also love the Hibachi at Spice. You may not even know they have one - so ask if you are not sure! You have to be in line when they open to get a spot reserved the night you want to eat. Just be prepared for that! Awesome food and entertaining too !Room service takes a while so order ahead - took us about 45 min to get it. The employees/staff at EPM are so friendly, caring, and funny - unfortunately this resort while nice and enjoyable - employees did not have overly friendly attitudes, did not exceed my expectations - did hot enhance the visit like they did at EPM. The two best employees worked at the martini bar in the lower lobby. They were great! In my opinion, they should trade out some employees/managers between the resorts so they can see how the patrons should be treated!! This would make it excellent! We will definitely go back we love it around Cancun! I'm glad that we could go for the same price paid the previous year (1300/pp instead if the 2000/pp at EPM). Just a few tweeks and this resort could be a 5!! We love excellence resorts! There is a manager cocktail every week - I think it is Wednesday evenings if you want to speak with the resort manager - he also passes out his card and is available if you need him.
Also check out the Turtle Camp to see if its time for turtles to hatch - saw a nest but were not ready to hatch when we were there! Beach was beautiful - no seaweed.

We enjoyed the shows - Michael Jackson Tribute, Fire show, etc. We loved the pools, work out area, rooms! They did not have para-sailing like at EPC but had all of the same excursion opportunities! There are two gift shops as well jewelry, etc.

We overall enjoyed our stay and will go back to Excellence at some point! All inclusive has its advantages and there are lots of choices at ERC for food drinks and activities!

Room Tip: We love the swim up rooms - the pool is right outside!! Jacuzzi tubs inside and out on the patio!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
corbin, ky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I have been to several high end all inclusive properties. We have fun no matter what but I read TripAdvisor religiously to select my next hotel to experience paradise. I am going to give you my honest advice and that would be to book somewhere else because you can do better. Having said that, if you are already booked here you will probably love it and have a great time.
Here are the cons-Mosquitos are out of control! I have never seen such a mosquito problem. It honestly kept us from going to a lot of the shows and outdoor restaurants. This was the first time we have ever encountered a problem like this and we have been to the Riviera Maya, Mexico 7 times. Sand fleas-Again this was a first for us but they were biting everybody on the legs and boy does it itch! Seaweed-Not the resorts fault but the next beach we go to we would like to not be attacked by swarms of seaweed every time we get in the water. Service-SLOW, I read that on the reviews and I thought I wouldn't care because I would be on vacation and in no hurry but after being ignored at the bar for the 10th time I did start to care. Musty Mildew smell in the rooms-We were initially placed in building 3 which smelled great but was the farthest away you could possibly be from everything. We asked to be moved closer to the beach and restaurants so they moved us to building 6. Our room there smelled horribly like mildew and there was a bad smell coming from the sink. We waited a while to see if we could get used to it but we never could so we had to move back to building 3. Then two days later Cecilia at the front desk got us moved to building 7. It was a prime location you could listen to the band and watch people dancing from the balcony which was fantastic because we sat in the room with the patio door open and the screen door closed to keep the mosquitos out. Anyway, our room in building 7 smelled musty also but not as badly so we decided to live with it. Once we got home everything we owned had that mildew smell! It was awful. You needed to be on the beach by at least 10 am to get lounge chairs under a palapa. The food was not consistent. Very hit or miss. The other Excellence (Playa Mujeres) had the best food ever! I would highly recommend that resort over this one.
The pros are that when you are walking around the resort you feel like you have been dropped right in the middle of paradise. The pools were massive and both them and the ocean were the perfect temp. The weather was perfect. We really liked the Michael Jackson show and the Urban show. Eduardo the bellman was awesome! He helped us move all those times and became a friend to us. Such a great guy! A/C and shower were good. Bed was comfy.

Tips-If you stay here bring insect repellant, lots of sunscreen (one bottle was $40 USD at the gift shop) and ask for a room in building 9 on the 3rd floor. Its close to everything and has ocean views but without the extra cost. To get hot water in the shower the handle goes opposite the way you think it should go. Make sure you try the homemade ice cream at the lobster or steak place at lunch time! YUM!

Room Tip: Building 9 third floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

philadelphia, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

From the minute Gil took our bags to our room until checkout our vacation was excellente! Our room 6335 was perfectly taken care of by Yuri. The view stupendous. The bartenders who were exceptional were Juan and Luis. The one waiter who stood out was Marcel. What a wonderful staff. If I had to have one complaint it is there are no top shelf liquor unless you belong to the Excellence Club. The Mexican dinner was our very favorite and so beautiful. My husband and I cannot wait to go "home" again.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I took a quick 4 day getaway to the Excellence and had a fabulous time. I have been to 4 or 5 other all-inclusive resorts, and this ranks as top favorite. Food is excellent. You have a choice of about 8 different restaurants in which you do not have to make reservations at. The dinner's we had were very good, although most dinners can be a bit lengthy. I think the food can define an all-inclusive, and this one is top. The bars: the martini bar was the main hangout at night, great atmosphere. The pool bar was always the "happening" place, but fun if you are into that. All bar's serve premium alcohols, you just have to ask! The different pools were awesome, one pool was very active and loud with music and games of some sort going on. The lazy river was so quiet and relaxing. They have pool rafts, some old, but some new. The beach was great! good sand, water and a very active sand volleyball court. I felt like we always had an option to do something, and it was enjoyable. The entertainment team was ok, we saw a few good shows, but nothing to rave about. They are always giving away free things if you partake in the activities. The spa was so relaxing and the hydro-massage (what they are known for) is really cool, a must try. The massage we had wasn't greatest, but still very relaxing.

Everyone was very accommodating and what I liked most is that you didn't have to book something days in advance. We walked up to the spa and got in for a massage right away. We only had to wait once for a dinner and it was max 45 minutes, in which the martini bar is a great escape. The buffet lunch and dinner was simply amazing. SO many choices and all pretty good food! It was only a 20 minute drive from the hotel. When we walked the beach to look at other hotels, it seemed that ours was the nicest around!

This is a must for couples. We had a great time getting to know other people from around the world. No kids, just adults.

Room Tip: The rooms were so spacious and comfortable and they leave a paper with all the days activities plann...
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary and loved Excellence again! This was our fourth visit to Excellence resorts and our second to Riviera Cancun. We will return!
The swim up room is a must for us. Ground floor next to the pool, our own lounge chairs, and a hammock. Life was very good. We like the rooms on the Lazy River around the spa. It is quiet and relaxing. If you are looking for more activity, choose rooms closer to the central area.
I had a medical emergency while there are at 1:00 am visited the medical clinic on site at the hotel. Excellent care, reasonable price, and there is a doctor on site 24/7.
We had a great time!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I were there for our daughter's wedding and stayed in the club section. The wedding package was inexpensive (my daughter wanted to put most of her wedding money toward a house) but turned out lovely - the hair and makeup done by the spa were excellent - my daughter looked like a movie star! And the photos were expert.

We loved the club section of the beach, and the grounds were absolutely gorgeous. The staff was extremely helpful and treated us so well - no complaints there. Our room was fabulous - although pretty much the only difference between our more expensive club room and less expensive rooms was an espresso maker. If only the food could have been as wonderful as the accommodations. We ate at the Lobster restaurant (my lobster was burnt), the French restaurant (bland) and the Italian restaurant (no flavor) and the portions were small. The best food was at the breakfast buffet. My favorite meal was a hamburger from the beach buffet at lunch! As others noted, the liquor is watered down - which was OK by me - it was so hot people were drinking non-stop. Also, the food in the club lounge was pretty awful (overall would not recommend spending extra for the club experience). The wedding was lovely and people who like to stand in the pool and drink all day will have a great time. All in all: Best for young couples in love who don't care about food!!

Room Tip: There are 2 party pools at the front of the resort that are very loud - best to ask for a room elsew...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!