Just returned last Sunday from 14 nights stay at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and had a brilliant time. We went as two couples each staying in a Swim-up Junior Suite in the Spa 2 block which faces the Spa encircled by a lazy river. The rooms were next door to each other as we had requested. It is completely true the road leading into the hotel is dilapidated, full of potholes the size of a very small car and it's about a mile long so not great.
Once there however, the experience dramatically improves; champagne and cold towel awaits you from the smiling happy staff the second you exit your taxi, the hotel lobby looks incredible with marble floor to ceiling, fresh flowers and spotlessly clean. Check-in was quick and effortless, all staff were extremely welcoming and warming - we had the instant feeling they wanted to ensure our holiday was going to be amazing.
Our rooms didn't disappoint either, a selection of full size alcoholic drinks (Smirnoff Vodka, dark rum, red wine which was very nice, Beefeater Gin and if you fancy it a bottle of Tequila), a mini fridge containing soft drinks, bottled water, white wine, Corona beer and some chocolate. You also have tea/coffee facilities. Daily these were restocked and the rooms were cleaned by maids and again in the evening during the turn-down service.
I did phone concierge to ask if we could swap the Gin for something else, they said only for another of what we already had or it comes as an extra cost. I guess this is only for Excellence Club members which we didn't opt for.
There were two small issues in our room on arrival; the phone wasn't working and air conditioning unit kept turning itself on when we'd turned it off. Both were fixed within minutes of contacting concierge so very happy with the response.
The restaurants were varied and served excellent food, our favourites being the French and Mexican. You could also order room service 24 hours a day which we took advantage of on more than one occassion - all food arrived hot (or cold for cold dishes) and within 30-45 minutes. There are also lots of bars stocking a huge range of premium drinks, cocktails and soft drinks.
The staff are absolutely excellent and are the one outstanding features of this hotel. Everyone we spoke to were very polite, genuinely happy and extremely helpful. Having read some of the other reviews which contradict my opinion here I have one thought as to why; I saw some guests treating the staff quite rude on a number of occasions and although the staff were efficiently handing their every request, we obviously had a different experience while we talked and joked about with the staff.
There are several pools around the hotel, the lazy river around the Spa was one of the quietest, playing tranquil, calming music subtly in the background while you sunbathe, swim or float round the pool. The pool near the Lobster House and Grill House which incorporates the swim up bar seemed to be quite loud with music playing everyday so you might want to avoid this area if you like it quiet. The pool water was always clean and I couldn't find any issues anywhere.
The beach area is very nice, plenty of sun loungers and clean towels for guests to use as they enter the beach area. Unfortunately we experienced some stormy weather during our stay so the sea had washed up seaweed each day, however there was a tractor and people clearing this every day or two. Due to the weather the water was quite rough meaning most days it was red or yellow flagged.
Entertainment is shown nightly, from Caribbean themed nights to Michael Jackson and is wholly entertaining. There is also a Cigar bar which sells fine Cuban (and others) Cigars, very well priced compared to UK (or US I'm told).
Lastly, the Spa as I'm told by my wife is absolutely fantastic.
Overall I felt this hotel offers something for everyone looking for relaxation, great food, entertainment and excellent service. I think however if you are looking for somewhere extremely quiet or a full on party hotel, this might not be the best one for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Excellence Group LLC, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Orbitz, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com and Tingo so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos