“Fantastic Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Just returned last Sunday from 14 nights stay at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and had a brilliant time. We went as two couples each staying in a Swim-up Junior Suite in the Spa 2 block which faces the Spa encircled by a lazy river. The rooms were next door to each other as we had requested. It is completely true the road leading into the hotel is dilapidated, full of potholes the size of a very small car and it's about a mile long so not great.
Once there however, the experience dramatically improves; champagne and cold towel awaits you from the smiling happy staff the second you exit your taxi, the hotel lobby looks incredible with marble floor to ceiling, fresh flowers and spotlessly clean. Check-in was quick and effortless, all staff were extremely welcoming and warming - we had the instant feeling they wanted to ensure our holiday was going to be amazing.
Our rooms didn't disappoint either, a selection of full size alcoholic drinks (Smirnoff Vodka, dark rum, red wine which was very nice, Beefeater Gin and if you fancy it a bottle of Tequila), a mini fridge containing soft drinks, bottled water, white wine, Corona beer and some chocolate. You also have tea/coffee facilities. Daily these were restocked and the rooms were cleaned by maids and again in the evening during the turn-down service.
I did phone concierge to ask if we could swap the Gin for something else, they said only for another of what we already had or it comes as an extra cost. I guess this is only for Excellence Club members which we didn't opt for.
There were two small issues in our room on arrival; the phone wasn't working and air conditioning unit kept turning itself on when we'd turned it off. Both were fixed within minutes of contacting concierge so very happy with the response.
The restaurants were varied and served excellent food, our favourites being the French and Mexican. You could also order room service 24 hours a day which we took advantage of on more than one occassion - all food arrived hot (or cold for cold dishes) and within 30-45 minutes. There are also lots of bars stocking a huge range of premium drinks, cocktails and soft drinks.
The staff are absolutely excellent and are the one outstanding features of this hotel. Everyone we spoke to were very polite, genuinely happy and extremely helpful. Having read some of the other reviews which contradict my opinion here I have one thought as to why; I saw some guests treating the staff quite rude on a number of occasions and although the staff were efficiently handing their every request, we obviously had a different experience while we talked and joked about with the staff.
There are several pools around the hotel, the lazy river around the Spa was one of the quietest, playing tranquil, calming music subtly in the background while you sunbathe, swim or float round the pool. The pool near the Lobster House and Grill House which incorporates the swim up bar seemed to be quite loud with music playing everyday so you might want to avoid this area if you like it quiet. The pool water was always clean and I couldn't find any issues anywhere.
The beach area is very nice, plenty of sun loungers and clean towels for guests to use as they enter the beach area. Unfortunately we experienced some stormy weather during our stay so the sea had washed up seaweed each day, however there was a tractor and people clearing this every day or two. Due to the weather the water was quite rough meaning most days it was red or yellow flagged.
Entertainment is shown nightly, from Caribbean themed nights to Michael Jackson and is wholly entertaining. There is also a Cigar bar which sells fine Cuban (and others) Cigars, very well priced compared to UK (or US I'm told).
Lastly, the Spa as I'm told by my wife is absolutely fantastic.
Overall I felt this hotel offers something for everyone looking for relaxation, great food, entertainment and excellent service. I think however if you are looking for somewhere extremely quiet or a full on party hotel, this might not be the best one for you.

Room Tip: Spa facing rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,062)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was my fourth trip to Mexico. I heard about Excellence by word of mouth. Usually I book through Apple Vacations. I had never heard of this resort so I did some research first. Excellence is a Dutch owned conglomerate that operates several resorts in the Carribean. This trip was booked via the Excellence website. I flew Air Tran out of Midway. The price was competetive and the flights were acceptable (no red eyes, no up and down nonsense).

I've read the reviews and yes, the road to the resort is rocky. Is this the Mexican government's problem? Probably. Can the resort pay someone off to get this taken care of? Probably. Remember, you are in Mexico. It is a second world country.

The resort itself is beautiful. Upon entering you are offered a warm towel, bottled water, and champagne. The lobby is spacious and quiet. The registration process is easy. The staff are very courteous. It was my anniversary and nobody demanded to see a marriage license. The room was ready. It was spacious and included a full liquor set-up and a hot tub. Why leave the room?

Anyway, the resort is awesome. There are mulitple bars and restaurants. Reservations are not required and I never had to wait more than two minutes to get seated. The breakfast buffet at Barcelona is nothing short of incredible. If you want an omlette, get one. If you want a deli sandwich, chilaquilles, tacos, donuts, pastries, sausage, bacon, ham, pork chops, etc. they are available. They even have a Bloody Mary bar to make your own! Lunches and dinners were outstanding. I never had a bad meal. There are bars aplenty and they have a good variety of top shelf liquor.

Like other resorts, they have a nightclub. Usually there was only one bartender. It would have been better if there were two. The DJ did a nice job playing early 90s dance music. Everyone in the place had a good time. The resort has the usual shows. I saw the traditional dance show and a comedian. Yes. I walked out on the comedian. He tried hard but it wasn't good. The one show that I only caught a minute of was "Sensuality". I wished I would have seen the entire show. Dancers were donning plaid skirts for a routine which can only be described as "hot." I guess there is a pretty good Michael Jackson show but I didn't see it (plus why glorify a creep like that).

The concierges were terrific and friendly. Booking an excursion can be done via the concierges. There are also several travel agencies that set up shop on the resort premises. I'd estimate that 90% of the staff that I encountered spoke English (often better than some people in the States).

The lagoon style pool ranges from quiet, almost funeral like silence for those laying out, to the wild, party atmosphere swim up pool bar area. Wait staff is more than happy to bring you a drink at the pool or the beach. I had no problem getting a chair poolside or at the beach. Many times these chairs are claimed by 10:00 AM. This was not a problem even though the resort was booked solid.

So why not five stars? The housekeeping was hit or miss. Some days it was great. Other days it was poor. I tip up front. Won't do that again.

In closing, if I could give this four and one half stars I would. It wasn't perfect but it was well worth the money. I would recommend this place to family and friends without hesitation.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have just returned from this resort. I travelled with my husband and another couple. The journey to the hotel from the airport takes around 45 minutes and the road leading up to the resort is full of pot holes and was flooded. It is awful! We were told that the land is protected because of the crocodiles and therefore they are not allowed to build a proper road. I only mention the road because If I am honest, it did make us think twice when we booked excursions as it was that bad and even if we would return to this resort again.
When you finally arrive you are greeted with a cold towel and a glass of champagne. You cannot help but be impressed when you enter the reception. It is decorated with beautiful fresh flowers, marble floors and is extremely clean.
We were staying in a swim up suite overlooking the spa and got two rooms next door to each other. The rooms are again spotlessly clean and we had a massive bed and both an indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi bath. The walk in shower room is large and very powerful. Tip: We took lots of toiletries but the hotel provides Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Body lotion, Toothbrush, Toothpaste (Colgate) a sewing kit, shower cap, flannels, soap, razor and cotton buds. These are all replenished if you use them.
Breakfast is buffet style and there is lots of things to choose from. For dinner you have plenty of choice in the 8 restaurants. The food overall is very good but our favourite was Chez Isabelle (French) Also we had a great night in Spice at the teppanyaki table with 3 American couples. The only slight negative regarding dining we found was that Indian Restaurant "Basmati" is very poorly lit, in fact it was so dark we saw another diner using the light on his phone to read the menu!
Service is fantastic and every member of staff always has a smile and is very polite. The waitress service around the pool and beach is a nice touch and we were always offered the "cocktail of the day" and bottles of cold water as well as all the branded alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks,
Room service is 24/7 although there is a reduced menu after 11.30pm and the room service breakfast is especially good. Food always arrived within the time they advise when you call and is always hot (or cold if it supposed to be)
The spa is out of this world and I had several treatments during our stay and cannot recommend this enough. Very professional spa staff and extra special touches like strawberries and champagne after your treatment were lovely.
The pool is very nice. We were near the spa on the lazy river which was very peaceful but the main pool with the swim up bar did get a little lively and this tended to be mainly American guests in this area.
The beach is ok but due to recent bad weather there is a lot of seaweed washed up and the water wasn't very clear. A tractor does rake up the seaweed several times a day though.
We did a few trips whilst here which we booked with Jumbo Tours in the reception. Very well organized. We went to Xcaret, The lobster sunset cruise and Coco Bongo (Very fun)
The entertainment was ok but not something we really watched. It does get busy in the main stage area so I recommend getting there in plenty of time to get a seat. Tip: If you are looking for nightlife this is not the resort for you. The "nightclub" Alegria opens at 10.30pm until 1am and usually only has a handful of people in. Also, the DJ has split personality as he went from playing a Lil Wayne song to a traditional Mexican instrumental and then into "hi ho hi ho" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (I am not kidding) Overall, we had a great holiday. Pros: Very clean resort, friendly staff, beautiful rooms and great restaurants. The negatives, beach was not as impressive as I had hoped, the road to the hotel is so bad that it makes you dread leaving the resort in fear you will get stuck (we passed several who did!)
To sum up, if you are looking for a romantic trip with good food you will enjoy this. However if you are wanting to explore the area, stay somewhere with better access or be prepared to have a ride from hell every time you leave the resort.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms overlooking the spa as the most peaceful spot
Surrey,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Just come back from 11 days celebrating special holiday, hotel was great, food brilliant and believe me I am fussy. The hotel staff everywhere were lovely and very helpful, service was second to none. Cannot believe the latest reviews as we thought this was the nicest holiday hotel we had stayed at. Spa was amazing, very professional, we cannot fault this hotel at all and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We were in room 3102 overlooking the spa, which was quiet but short walk to everything, ideal.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Even before we arrived the service here was excellent. Mariana, the guest service manager was extremely helpful and communicated very promptly. There was some confusion with our booking, we thought we were booked in to the Riviera but Playa Mujeres had our booking, this confusion was sorted out by Mariana without any stress or concern to us.

The holiday was beyond all expectations from the second we arrived. Our room was decorated with balloons, and had the most amazing birthday cake in it, the nicest cake I have ever tasted…I looked for it in the restaurants for the following two weeks and could not find it, it was truly delicious.

The whole team are fantastic there, but a few people that are worth a mention. Firstly Alfonso (tennis coach), we had such a great time having lessons with him and he improved our game no end. Secondly, Cruz (at the Martini bar) he made THE best Lemon Drop martinis and Excellence Martinis, and finally Leydi who provided the most fantastic pool service around the lazy river for the first week of our stay (or Betsy, not sure which one it is as they swapped areas they swapped badges too, so we had a different lady for the second week but she still had a badge which said Leydi on it!)

The spa is expensive but definitely worth a visit, you get a daily offer in your room every day so if you are visiting for a couple of weeks wait a few days before booking something. We had the couple de-stress with the free hydrotherapy (which in itself was great). It was great, even the little details of them heating your slippers at the end and them plaiting my hair and putting a flower in it!

The food was out of this world, steaks cooked to perfection every single time.

We did the Bike tour to Puerto Morelos and booked a fishing trip whilst we were there with a guy named 'crispy bacon' he picked us up a couple of days later, from the hotel beach and took us out fishing for 3-4 hours for a really good price.

This place really does deserve every single one of the fantastic reviews on TripAdvisor. We hope very much to be back (although have never visited the same place twice….yet!) but maybe we will visit another excellence resort.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jefferson, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just got back on Saturday from Excellence Riviera Cancun. This was our 1st trip and overall was very relaxing. I am a Customer Service Manager so of course I focus on "Customers for Life". The Flight was great and the drive to the resort was good. I felt very bad for the driver and could not believe how bad the road was to get to the resort. Once we arrived we we're welcomed with a drink and cold rag. As we were checking in the Receptionist never made eye contact and sounded like a robot. I had to ask for our Passports back and she just handed them over as if she was upset that I noticed she never returned them. You could see that she did not like what she was doing and was only there for a paycheck. I have to say that 50% of the staff that we came in contact with were not helpful at all. The only way you were going to get anything was to ask for it. The Mini Bar in our room did not keep the drinks cold. I was very disappointed that I had to request that they check it, seeing as they restocked it each day and had to be aware that it was not cooling. We had to request that our towels be replaced and each day there was something that was missed. Room service was great as far as the food, but the staff was very rude when taking the order and if they forgot something they did not offer to get it. Overall it was a relaxing time for us as we work very hard to be able to take time off and relax. I was not impressed at all and will not be returning.

Room Tip: No tips here….
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that our service was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

We can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to present you the improvements made due to your valuable feedback.
phila area, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

well...we travel extensively worldwide. however....cancun/Riviera maya is so convenient for us to get to quickly with no hassle! that said.....we never stay at same property twice no matter how much we liked it. BUT! just returned from excellence Riviera cancun for the second time late October! like first time....awesome! and truth be told....we'll go back again! this resort spoils you from the moment your transfer drops you off until you leave. it's hard to book another resort where you don't know what you're getting when you know what you have here!
cold damp towels upon exiting the transfer at resort to delicious champagne when you walk thru the doors! reception/check in...friendly...quick...very accommodating! luggage up in your room after you eat lunch! change into swimsuits...off to the beach or pool....tons of chaises. early in day...yes....people do play the reserve a palapa around pool game....grrrrrr. so you may have to hunt down an empty palapa for shade.....after 1 or 2 p.m.....they are readily available. also if you don't mind being up by 7a.m.....stroll down and reserve and play the game....pick your palapa...put your towel on chaises and a book or flip flops. but you cannot reserve the big beds for two....your things will be taken by security as there are not many of those around the pool but a ton of them on beach. beach has the most chaises any time of day....no reserving at all! drinks poolside are so nice....anna is the best! she passes by your chaise every 20 minutes or so! that lady works so hard and is a pleasure! she will even get your lunch or snack for you if you ask! we know tipping is included in vacation package however....when someone like anna bends over backwards for you like she does....we absolutely tip her more in cash. the club sandwiches are great! the restaurants....we like them all. lobster is my favorite beachside! and omg....basmati the indian is the best! and if you enjoy spicey.....go here! the 3 pepper lamb is awesome and hot! the shows.....I heard were good. we saw one...entertaining....not fantastic but it clicks the time away. we'd rather get up very early and spend most of the day in the sun than stay up late watching shows. so we choose to get back to our suite 9p.m. and watch fox news then hit bed! we're strictly beach/pool people! breakfast is our favorite meal and so much to choose from....custom order omelets! we took rolls or a couple bananas at breakfast to feed the big iguanas every afternoon that lounge by the pool every day. most of the big ones take the food right out of your hands....if not...just toss it. we looked up the safety of the iguanas and feeding them bananas etc. bananas and blueberries are their favorite and safest snacks! so we stopped taking the rolls...for the iguanas anyhow! the birds love the rolls. we were in bldg #2....very close to everything and we were on third floor and could see the ocean....not a great view but we saw it! bldg 2 is across from the spa and directly on the lazy river! the lazy river is so huge it takes a good 20 minutes or longer to get around! you can bring your own blow up/spring open pool mats but there are quite a few new blue foam mats the resort drops all around the pools to use! however! some people hoard those blue mats for themselves taking them off the pools! they put them under or behind their chaises so other people can't use them. there were some heated exchanges we overheard about this. what we did? well...the first time we came here...we brought our own dollar store mats...no problems. but this time...when there were no floats left on the water and people were keeping them out of the water behind chaises etc.....I very nicely walked over to the mat.....said hello and took the mat myself with them glaring at me! the whole time I smiled and said "i'll bring this back if you'd like!" that kind of disarmed them. I took it and had a fun time! I mean...what can you say right? and every night when employees drop under your door the following day's activities etc....it specifically says......DO NOT TAKE POOL MATS OFF THE POOL. but people do.
we talked to people who went to the other excellence playa mujeres resort....they loved it but mentioned the water is not as nice as here....meaning the beach. so if beach is more important to you...i'd go here. the pool? then I guess it wouldn't matter. we were hoping there was a complimentary resort shuttle from here to the other excellence....there was not. :( that would have been so nice to spend an afternoon at the other resort. maybe time is an issue. it would probably take an hour from our resort to the other excellence property. understandable!
we hated to leave but all good things must come to an end. but I will say....we will be back....again!

Room Tip: best views are from top floors....there are elevators in each building! we were on top floor...#3...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!