I have just returned from this resort. I travelled with my husband and another couple. The journey to the hotel from the airport takes around 45 minutes and the road leading up to the resort is full of pot holes and was flooded. It is awful! We were told that the land is protected because of the crocodiles and therefore they are not allowed to build a proper road. I only mention the road because If I am honest, it did make us think twice when we booked excursions as it was that bad and even if we would return to this resort again.
When you finally arrive you are greeted with a cold towel and a glass of champagne. You cannot help but be impressed when you enter the reception. It is decorated with beautiful fresh flowers, marble floors and is extremely clean.
We were staying in a swim up suite overlooking the spa and got two rooms next door to each other. The rooms are again spotlessly clean and we had a massive bed and both an indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi bath. The walk in shower room is large and very powerful. Tip: We took lots of toiletries but the hotel provides Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Body lotion, Toothbrush, Toothpaste (Colgate) a sewing kit, shower cap, flannels, soap, razor and cotton buds. These are all replenished if you use them.
Breakfast is buffet style and there is lots of things to choose from. For dinner you have plenty of choice in the 8 restaurants. The food overall is very good but our favourite was Chez Isabelle (French) Also we had a great night in Spice at the teppanyaki table with 3 American couples. The only slight negative regarding dining we found was that Indian Restaurant "Basmati" is very poorly lit, in fact it was so dark we saw another diner using the light on his phone to read the menu!
Service is fantastic and every member of staff always has a smile and is very polite. The waitress service around the pool and beach is a nice touch and we were always offered the "cocktail of the day" and bottles of cold water as well as all the branded alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks,
Room service is 24/7 although there is a reduced menu after 11.30pm and the room service breakfast is especially good. Food always arrived within the time they advise when you call and is always hot (or cold if it supposed to be)
The spa is out of this world and I had several treatments during our stay and cannot recommend this enough. Very professional spa staff and extra special touches like strawberries and champagne after your treatment were lovely.
The pool is very nice. We were near the spa on the lazy river which was very peaceful but the main pool with the swim up bar did get a little lively and this tended to be mainly American guests in this area.
The beach is ok but due to recent bad weather there is a lot of seaweed washed up and the water wasn't very clear. A tractor does rake up the seaweed several times a day though.
We did a few trips whilst here which we booked with Jumbo Tours in the reception. Very well organized. We went to Xcaret, The lobster sunset cruise and Coco Bongo (Very fun)
The entertainment was ok but not something we really watched. It does get busy in the main stage area so I recommend getting there in plenty of time to get a seat. Tip: If you are looking for nightlife this is not the resort for you. The "nightclub" Alegria opens at 10.30pm until 1am and usually only has a handful of people in. Also, the DJ has split personality as he went from playing a Lil Wayne song to a traditional Mexican instrumental and then into "hi ho hi ho" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (I am not kidding) Overall, we had a great holiday. Pros: Very clean resort, friendly staff, beautiful rooms and great restaurants. The negatives, beach was not as impressive as I had hoped, the road to the hotel is so bad that it makes you dread leaving the resort in fear you will get stuck (we passed several who did!)
To sum up, if you are looking for a romantic trip with good food you will enjoy this. However if you are wanting to explore the area, stay somewhere with better access or be prepared to have a ride from hell every time you leave the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Excellence Group LLC, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos