We stayed here from Sep. 28th- Oct. 3rd for our 10 year anniversary, and we will remember it fondly thanks to the people at the Excellence. I was worried about a few things after reading many reviews, but none of those things were a big deal. The bed was firmer than I'm used to, but we still slept great. The beach had some sea grass washed up from time to time, but it was still beautiful with soft sand and clear water. I noticed slight temperature fluctuations with the shower from time to time, but nothing like the complaints I read. All of the important things were top notch. Great top shelf liquor, fantastic food, excellent service, and even better entertainment than I expected (I would agree that the magician was the only one we saw that I could have skipped). I can't even pick a favorite restaurant because all the meals were great. I guess it depends on what type of food you like. I'm not sure what people could possibly complain about here because it seems that there is something for everyone. We had a standard room, and I don't even know why you'd upgrade in my opinion, but to each their own. I've read of so many people recommending the swim up room, but as I was swimming past people sitting outside their room, I was thinking about our wonderful, private balcony, wondering why people would pay extra to be right out in the open like that. I certainly didn't mind walking up a couple flights of stairs (there is also an elevator, but we figured we could stand to burn a few calories where we could) for a better view and some privacy.
To provide a balanced review, I should point out the only small things we didn't like. There was one night where my wife was looking forward to dance lessons, but we waited at the designated area and no one ever showed up. I should mention that we participated in a few other great activities with no problems (Luis from the entertainment team was great), so hopefully that isn't a common occurrence. Also, the maid service was not what we expected at a resort like this. I don't think they ever even came on one day, and another day they just made the bed (the only thing they ever really seemed to do) at 5:30, when turndown service occurs like 2-3 hours later. Hardly even seems worth the trouble at that point. I don't believe the sheets were ever changed or new towels ever brought, which I know is environmentally sound, but that seems to be taking it a bit far. We tipped every day but still never saw any more towel animals like I read about :(. We could have called about it, but we weren't in our room that much anyway, and we didn't want to waste any valuable time complaining. It certainly wasn't enough to ruin our fabulous stay at the Excellence. Highly recommended if you want to feel like royalty for a while as we did!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Excellence Group LLC, Orbitz, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos