“great hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Staten Island, New York
“great hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

we recently stayed at excellence riviera.the hotel was unbelievable.the staff could not do enough for you.the food at all of the restaurants was great and plentiful.the excellence hotel chain is a cut above the rest.we will definitely go back and also try others elsewhere.

Room Tip: there isn't a bad room in the whole hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,065)
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at ERC July 30-August 6 for our honeymoon. Like many, from the moment we got engaged I searched all over the Caribbean for the perfect honeymoon spot. I thought for sure we would book somewhere in the Iberostar chain. But something told me to just book the Excellence resort line and I could not be happier. From the moment we landed and met with our transfer company we constantly were told we picked the best spot for our Honeymoon.
When you arrive you are greeted by the ever friendly staff who takes care if your luggage while you wipe off with a cool rag. They then escort you inside to the main desk where there you are greeted with the amazing phrase "Welcome home" and an chilled glass of champagne. We arrived two hours earlier than when our room was ready so we just grabbed lunch at the buffet and walked around. When our room was ready (check in is a complete breeze) the nicest man, Gil, took our bags and gave us another detailed tour of the resort. He really knew his job well and was just so nice. When we reached our room, we had a honeymoon banner on our door, towel art swans and rose petals on our bed and some champagne chilled on ice. Gil then introduced us to all the amenities of our room and met every question we had with a big smile. We had just a standard room and I have no idea why we would have even booked a bigger room. The standard room is huge and immaculate. Although the bed is quite firm, we still slept peaceful each night.
The food is very good. We did have some meals that were so-so but the waiting staff will go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your meal. Any of the bars could create any type of drink. We did have a not so good experience at the theater bar with being ignored but that was easily rectified by walking to the back of the theater to the bar in the plaza. Drinks are not watered down and were delicious. I personally fell in love with their mango coladas. Yum!
Each night there is a different theme show and you can see all the effort that goes into them. We didn't see a single show we did not enjoy. We didn't make all of them sometimes from being worn out from a day of excursions but from what we heard it sounded great. If you're out on your balcony you can hear the activity going on buy once you shut your door and are in your room, it's very quiet and very peaceful.
There are many pools at the ERC. We were big fans of the lazy river-although rafts were hard to come by. We noticed a lot of people in swim up suites would take them and hide them by their room. I'm sure that's not all where they were going, but when you got one-they were very nice to have. Nothing was better than laying across the raft with your significant other and just floating through the pool. Other than that pool, we tended to stay away from the pool bar area and just hang out on the beach. The pool bar area was a constant party but for honeymooners looking to relax, we opted for the calm and quiet beach. Each spot on the beach has a hut you can lay under for shade or you can just pull your chair out into the sun. We spent majority of our time in the ocean (fish will swim right up to you!) and laying out in the chairs. So relaxing!!
All in all, we enjoyed ERC so much. We plan on coming back next summer when I graduate from nursing school and as our anniversary. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2013
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing Excellence Riviera Cancun to celebrate such special occasion as your honeymoon.

It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host such memorable experience. It is truly rewarding that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with the excellent service provided by our staff, comfort room accommodations and entertainment program.

We will be looking forward to welcome you for another romantic getaway.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The reviews are all correct, this hotel is just wonderful. Over the years, we've stayed in just about everything imaginable, but this will rank close to the best. We liked best the no-hassle atmosphere, the ability to just relax and not be concerned about anything. Obviously, there was a lot of thought given to how to provide that, and the hotel really succeeded.

There were a couple of negatives, which I'm going to list for the facility to be aware of and folks to be warned. One was the boating staff. They constantly badgered for tips, almost making up equipment rules and rule changes as the mood struck them. They claimed they did not work for the hotel and could do whatever they wanted. Another was bugs! My husband was peppered with small very itchy bites and spoke to the medical staff about them. Ants were supposedly the culprits. They recommended the Mexican version of Claritin, and it helped. Bring it, bug spray, and more sunscreen than you think you will need. Off and sunscreen ran USD $44 in the gift shop, and the antihistamine $18 when delivered by taxi. Our other complaint was the lack of ventilation in the theater. It was so hot there at night that we returned to our rooms after our first evening with totally soaked clothing, and afterwards could hardly attend the entertainment sessions. Coupled with thick smoke, because the hotel did not section off an outside area for non-smokers, the area was really uncomfortable.

I really appreciated the staff here, all very friendly and gracious, and the abundance of Mexican specialties in the restaurants-Mexican coffee, breads, entrees and deserts. The Mexican theme party was probably our favorite evening event. It was all just wonderful and we have many happy memories of our stay.

Room Tip: We chose a club level, ocean view room and would probably do so again. The extra beach service was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from our trip to ERC. We both left saying it was the best vacation we have ever been on! First and foremost, the staff made us feel like we were celebrities. The service was second to none. We have stayed in many all-inclusives around the Caribbean including Sandals and other well named chains, and they all pale in comparison to the ERC. There are a ton of pools. We honestly felt like there were 10 other people there at times and the hotel was running on 85% occupancy. The food was ok, some meals were great and some not so great, but overall we were very pleased. And if you were not happy with a meal, you could go to another restaurant! Room service was great! I have been to some all-inclusives were the liquor on the label did not match what was inside the bottle. This was not the case at ERC. All liquors were legit, and the drinks were amazing! (One of the most important things for me!)

The main purpose for this review is to assist those on the fence with the Excellence Club. For the first few nights, were were in a standard room, which was quite spacious and the bathroom was beautiful. For my wife's birthday, I upgraded to a rooftop terrace suite and the EC. You certainly do not NEED the EC or a rooftop terrace. But once you experience it, there is no turning back. Upgraded liquor (including grey goose) and constant hot and cold snacks in the EC lounge was a nice touch, but for me the selling point was your own private cabanas and cushioned chairs on the beach. So relaxing! Although there is some seaweed in the water. (Not hotel's fault). You get a private bar by the pool and a speedy check in/check out. As we were checking out another couple was waiting for their room and was able to eat and drink in the lounge. If you can do the rooftop terrace for one or two nights, do it!! The view is a amazing and it's so cool to have your own day bed and plunge pool overlooking the water. I wouldn't recommend the rooftop suite more than 1 or 2 nights as it will get expensive and you won't be in the room long enough to appreciate it. Again, we were having just as an amazing time before the upgrades. If you are traveling for an occasion, make sure you let the front desk know. Our room was decorated for my wife's b-day at no extra charge. If you are considering an upgrade, wait to negotiate for when you arrive. I was told that I could have the rooftop terrace for an additional $380 a night. When I told him I could swing $300, he got permission from the manager and made it happen! If you do go with a regular suite, email your preference ahead of time. I had asked for king bed with a mattress topper (thanks to other reviews) and this was accommodated for us prior to our arrival.

All in all, this will be an amazing trip regardless of what room you are in or if you have the EC. We are planning on returning in the future and will definitely get the EC for the entire trip, but we'll do without the rooftop terrace next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It is our pleasure to know that our Resort exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to comfort room accommodations, Excellence Club amenities and the service provided by our staff members.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This is truly an amazing adult hotel it's got everything it's just a bit far away from Cancun itself.i would recommend this hotel to any one the restaurants were first class the service also first class the food and drink was fantastic .

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We're both 35, first honeymoon for both. We spent 9 nights, late June, for our honeymoon. First time for both of us at an AI. Definitely recommend it and would go back in a heartbeat. We stayed in Bldg 7 3rd floor which faced the lazy pool, main pool and plaza. I was concerned about the noise level based on past reviews but there was none. It was very quiet. We had the opportunity to upgrade to the Club level honeymoon suite but we didn't feel it was worth the extra money. We both agreed that next time we'd get a swim-up non club level in bldg 9 because it was quiet and had the most privacy. I wouldn't recommend the Club level, it didn't seem worth the extra money.

Highlights of the resort were the incredible customer service. The staff went above and beyond daily, always a smile on their faces. We taxed after every meal and bar trip but noticed most people didn't. My husband did the tipping so I'm not sure the percentage. We heard that they make hardly any money so we were happy to give a little extra. The room was beautiful, bed comfortable. The lazy river/pool was where we spent most our time. We always had access to floaties, it was quiet, bar services was generally available. The gym was pretty fantastic. If you like to work out, you won't be disappointed.

Things to work on would be the food. Overall it was mediocre. Our favorite was the Spice. I think we ate there 3 times. Least favorite was Toscana, terrible. Barcelona was great for buffet, lots of options but not delicious. The Lobster House was also good for a la carte breakfast and dinner. Lobster House and The Grill were essentially the same restaurant except at dinner. Lunch was pretty awful at both but I had delicious steaks at Grill. We wished things stayed open later so we honestly had room service most night when we got back, which again was mediocre. The drinks were definitely watered down. If you wanted a buzz the champagne cocktails were good or drink the liquor in your room!! Our minibar wasn't stocked 2-3 times. That was annoying. The shows at night were mildly entertaining, but gave us something to do. The nightclub was so incredible hot it was unbearable. I think their air conditioning was broken. Miserable! There was an acoustic band that played one night, a girl singer who sang covers. She was incredible. I was blown away. Don't miss her!

Advice, don't expect much for food and drinks but hell, they're all-included! Wish I'd tried the Crepes cafe much sooner!! Take advantage of the all-inclusive and enjoy all the food and drinks and activities. We didn't take advantage of the beach activities but did enjoy the beach. Have fun!! Email me if there are any questions!

Room Tip: Bldg 7 facing the hotel was quiet and easy walk to everything. Swim up suite in Bldg 9 non club woul...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly. However, we deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

Thank you as well for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us, and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

At Excellence Riviera Cancun we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We all look forward to welcome you in the near future.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I traveled to ERC from 6 August to 13 August 2013. It was our second time there, and we loved it even more this time. The resort is close to the city, kid-free (!!), and beautiful, as you can see from traveler's photos. From the activities to the completely all-inclusive drinks, restaurants, and 24-hour room service (we love to eat), we sincerely feel we got our money's worth. The staff, however, really made our vacation. Everyone is so friendly, and we especially were impressed by Jorge and Sofia from activities, Ricardo from restaurant Spice, and Pablo, our favorite bartender. Just remember to bring bug spray for evenings!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!