“Wonderful holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% Off Room Rate
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I read so many reviews before going on my six-day honeymoon to this resort! So I know what everyone else has said and won't repeat the content of their reviews. A couple of things that occurred to me that few others had mentioned and might be useful -- first of all, we had no trouble at all with bugs of any type. I took mosquito repellent and Afterbite and didn't need either. There are a couple of ATMs onsite at the hotel -- I never used them, but it was good to know that they were there.
The room was great -- we had a swim-up. What other people say about the housekeeping is true, though -- quite slow and often done very late in the day, which was inconvenient. The restaurants are good, although our lobster at the Lobster House was pretty lousy. I would really recommend the Barcelona buffet at lunchtime. They make a bunch of things fresh for you and it is healthier than always ordering from a menu. I also found that the waiters at this restaurant were very pleasant, especially Fernando. The Indian place was good; so was the French. The drinks were okay most of the time -- we learned late in the game to ask for a specific brand by name. Oh well!
The pools were so great, not cold at all. We were in building 9, and yes, you could hear the cars go by on the road outside, but so what. I noticed a few other people complaining about this in their posts, but it did not detract at all from our enjoyment.
Not sure that the Excellence Club would be worth it -- only potential point of interest would be the VIP toiletries, since the regular rooms had pretty basic stuff (but I brought my own anyway). The beds were very comfortable.
All in all, it was a great place to spend a honeymoon and is a very well run, clean establishment.

Room Tip: The swim-up is very much worth the extra cost. It is so nice to just be able to go in and out of you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,307)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Some of the best service that you could ask for. Lot's of food and drink and Raul will take care of you on the beach he is the best. Lazy river on the way back from the beach is the best way to float back to your room before you go get ready for a fantastic meal at any of the excellent restaurants available. Never had a bad meal the whole time i was there. Can't wait to go again.

Cheers

Room Tip: Bring American Money much cheaper than converting.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ansonia, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have been to a lot of resorts all over, but once we found this resort we knew why they called it excellence.
We spent 8 nights there...May 7 -15 this past visit and to say we had a good trip would be putting it mildly. It was a wonderful 9 days.
. We've been there 8 times now I believe,... once to Excellence Playa Mujeres, all the rest at Excellence Riviera. We had a club room on the 3rd level...room 8351. It's an end room overlooking the club pool, bar and the ocean. I watched the sun rise every morning from our balcony as I sipped my coffee and ate my freshly made pastry. You can get coffee at 5 AM at the martini bar...or you can order it from room service also. My partner likes to sleep in so I go down and get my early coffee and goodies so as not to wake him.
I can only say that we ate at every restaurant and twice at the Lobster House and at the Italian Rest., and there was not one meal where we felt the food was just OK....it was always...every single meal...cooked to perfection.
If you want to just spend your days on the beach and not get dressed for lunch, they have a different menu everyday on the beach area. Seafood Paella one day, burgers, Mexican another, etc.
Are you active and want to get involved with the activities...there are plenty of then, tennis lessons given by our friend Alfonso....he's an excellent teacher and will definitely help improve your game. There is beach and water volleyball, table tennis, pool, float down the lazy river, take Spanish lesson, arts and crafts, play bingo, dance lessons.....so so much....do as little or as much as you want...it's all inclusive.
At night there are shows at the theatre, great music before and after also. There is music during the day some days also. Some great voices to sit and listen to or to get up with your partner and dance....you choose how much you want to do.
If you like to walk the beach you can walk almost forever. A 50 min. walk can get you into the small fishing village of Puerto Morelos where you can do some shopping and talk to the fishermen...or set up a time to fish if you want too.
The staff at ERC are the best. The are all friendly. Right down to the guys doing the cleaning around the resort...which is also beautiful .Everything is kept clean and spotless. When I get my coffee early in the AM there are workers around doing jobs so not to bother the guests during the daylight hours as much as possible.
If you have an questions about anything about the resort, please feel free to contact me....now I want to be more specific about the wonderful staff that made our trip perfect. I want to say thanks to Karen, Mariana and Jenny. These ladies took care of our every need everday and really helped make our stay perfect. Then there were the concierges Ricardo, Ivonne, Grace, Allan, Ana,Daniella and Alfonso. They were there to answer our questions, and help with anything we needed help with.
And our favorite bartenders, Luis, Juan, Moises, Melissa, Raul and Jesus. Moises helped perfect my new drink that I really loved.....and I've made it at home since.
Our favorite waiters were Edy who we have known for several years now. Ramon and Enrique. and not to forget Fernando who was also helpful with the towel situation on the beach. Paula, our house keeper who did a fantastic job. We never lacked for anything and she kept the room perfect.
Mr Badal who is the head of the food service should be commended for having things run as smoothly as they do. The food is superb....thanks for doing a great job.
I want to mention Karen again, who came to meet us when we arrived with Negra Modelo I might add... and when we were waiting for our van back to the airport she was there to say goodbye. She left and returned with Mr Girault the GM. This was the first time we had ever met him. To Mr Girault I say thanks for the wonderful , hardworking staff you have. Excellence would not be excellent without the hours they put in to make it what it is. We keep coming back because it is a wonderful resort, but also it is to see these wonderful, friendly, hard working people that go above and beyond to make our stay so enjoyable. Thanks for our wonderful stay and a beautiful resort. Anyone would be happy to say they were at Excellence Riviera Cancun.

Room Tip: Tip the staff. We bring one and five dollar bills and every little bit helps the staff. You will see...
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

As a couple who read seemingly countless reviews in preparation for our recent trip, I figured we would try and do our part to highlight our experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun (ERC) during our trip between 14-21 May 2013 (note this is our first TripAdvisor review).

I personally like reviews that segregate various aspects of the experience (rooms, pools, restaurants, etc.), so I'll try and do the same...For context purposes, I should probably highlight the fact that this is our 4th all inclusive experience in the Riviera Maya region in the past 5 years. We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya (2 days - 2007), Riu Palace Mexico (5 days - 2007), Secrets Silver Sands (7 days - 2010).

TRANSFERS TO/FROM THE RESORT

Based on other reviews we read, we elected to use USA Transfers. For $60 we had a van take us (and only us) directly to/from the resort (only 20 minutes away from the airport). We did the booking on line in a matter of minutes. The drivers were prompt, friendly, and courteous.

SUMMARY - We will definitely use them again for our next trip to the area.

CHECK IN/OUT

We arrived at the ERC at about 11:00AM local time (we had a VERY early flight from the Washington D.C. area. Upon arriving we were given 2 glasses of champagne, and escorted to the check in desk (no line). Since the room was not ready that early, we were given a beeper. We did a quick tour of the resort, and quickly changed into our bathing suits to get our vacation started. We had such a good time by the pool, we didn't notice if the beeper went off by 3:00PM. We went to the desk, found out that our room was ready, and were escorted to the room (located in Building #5). We checked out about 4:30AM, and were out within seconds...

SUMMARY - No issues with either checking in or out.

ROOM

We stayed in a standard Pool/Spa view room on the 3rd floor of our building the duration in our stay. While many have complained about the bed being too hard, we didn't have any issues with our bed. The mini bar was always stocked daily, and we never ran into any mechanical, bed bug, or noise issues at any point. Much like you see on cruises, it was also nice getting a daily event guide to help plan the day ahead.

SUMMARY - We were very happy with the room's amenities, cleanliness, and quality of the bed.

RESTAURANTS/ROOM SERVICE

During our 7 day/night stay, we had dinner in 4 restaurants (Basmati - Indian, Chez Isabelle - French, The Lobster House, Spice - Asian), 1 outdoor event (Mexican), and ordered room service twice. With the exception of one occasion (where we were given a beeper and were paged within 30 minutes), we were immediately seated. We typically ate around 7:00PM (which was seemingly prime time)

Our favorite Restaurants were both Spice (which was a very pleasant surprise given some of the negative reviews we read) and Basmati. Our meals were well prepared and delicious. We both felt Chez Isabelle was fine, but didn't meet the expectations we had set having read such positive reviews on this site. Unfortunately, the Lobster from the Lobster House was a big disappointment to not only us, but many others that we met while there. Sadly, the Lobster tasted fishy and rubbery. The Mexican outdoor event was fantastic, the food was tasty and the ambiance created with the mariachi band and décor was fantastic. Room service was both accurate and timely. We did make a daily trip to the breakfast buffet, and even tried to pizza cooked at the beach bar. Both offered plenty to choose from, and certainly hit the spot (especially the pizza).

SUMMARY - The food was good. While we weren't blown away, we certainly didn't feel disappointed either (especially given the size of the resort)...

POOL

ERC offered pools with a social (especially next to the swim up bar), and relaxing atmosphere (by all of the various lazy rivers scattered about the resort). We really enjoy listening to the reggae band, and watched some of the pool volleyball and poker games taking place daily. Having read a number of complaints about individuals reserving seats at the crack of down, we were highly impressed by the efforts of the ERC staff to limit/minimize this practice. On multiple occasions we watched ERC staff walking the pool's perimeter annotating beds/chairs that were. After about 40 minutes, a warning would be left, and after about an hour any belongings left on unattended chairs would be carefully recorded, packaged, and stored at the pool concierge desk. That said, we typically didn't have any issues finding a pool side chair around 9:00AM.

SUMMARY - Whether you are interested in social or serene pools at the right temp you should be completely happy.

BEACH

We spent the vast majority of our time at the beach. This was the biggest disappointment of our previous stay at the Riu Riviera Maya Palace, and Secrets Silver Sands. We loved being able to easily find a chair in the sun, jump in the water, and then relax watching the waves under the shade of our hut. We didn't have any issues/concerns with sea weed on the beach, as they typically ran tractors up and down the beach every couple of hours. While the water may not have been crystal clear, the temp was just right. The sand on the beach was always clean and soft on our toes. Also loved having drink/food service while relaxing on the beach (don't miss the Coco Bongo drink they make using a real coconut - typically 11:00AM daily). Shout out to Jonathan for being our favorite server on the beach. He could always be counted on for a quick drink and a laugh.

For those who may take offense to it, and unlike the pool area, there is topless sun bathing on the beach (this is Mexico after all...). I myself was pleased that the Ms. had very limited tan lines herself. Nothing like being a little adventurous while on vacation.

SUMMARY - This was our favorite part of ERC by a mile. We literally spent hours each and every day just relaxing and recharging our batteries watching the seagulls, waves, and clouds. Zero complaints about the quality of the beach, the caliber of beach service, or the availability of the loungers/huts.

SPA

On our last day at the ERC we did a "Vitality" package at the spa. It was an AMAZING 3 hour experience. We started with a multi station/stop hydro therapy session for an hour, progressed, to a hour long couples massage, and ended with an facial. Talk about the ultimate in relaxation. Do yourself a favor and make sure you make at least one appointment at this beautiful facility. They do offer daily specials at the spa so take note of your daily guide/planner.

SUMMARY - An experience we'll be talking about for months. Certainly going to make getting a massage locally a big let down...

Hopefully this review proved somewhat useful, and wasn't too long...We had already decided that we WILL be returning to the ERC ASAP (likely next May). We don't have ANY regrets booking a desperately needed vacation at this WONDERFUL resort. Tripadvisor certainly didn't disappoint us with ERC's #1 local ranking.

Feel free to e-mail us if you have any questions about ERC.

bedfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just back from 11 night stay in a junior swim up room no'2007.

From check in to check out everything was perfect, the room was really beautiful and had everything you could wish for and being in block 2 it was so peaceful and had direct access to the lazy river which was the best pool to be around if you just want to chill out. Special shout to Betsy who looked after us with drinks all day.

We took part in quite a few activities and a special thanks to Sophia and Luis who were just wonderful people who treated you like family.

All the waiters in the Barcelona every day were fabulous and the 2 guys who looked after us in the French restaurant were just brilliant as was the meal.

I could go on and on but I will just finish by saying book this hotel and you will not be disappointed and we hope to go back soon.

This place has it all and we didn't want to come home

Room Tip: Block 1 or 2 for a peaceful room
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had been to this resort 4 years earlier for a friends wedding and had a great time. Since that time we have stayed at another resort in the Playa area that was a total disappointment. When we wanted to go again we knew Excellence would be our destination and they did not disappoint. The selection of restaurants is wonderful. There is no need for reservations and if there is a wait, the Martini Bar provides a nice atmosphere to wait with a cocktail. Plenty of pool area to select from. If you want to be in the action around the main pool you can or select a spot along the Lazy River for a more relaxing environment. One day I noticed that the wine in our mini bar had not been replaced. I called down to have some brought up and almost before I hung up there was a knock at the door. There stood one of the staff with 2 bottles of wine almost out of breath. Don't miss breakfast at Barcelona! We are already planning a return trip!!

Room Tip: Higher floor are quieter.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We returned to ERC after visiting for the first time in 2009, which was our very first Mexico trip. We’ve been to different AI’s 2-3 times per year since and after coming back to ERC have decided that it is our absolute favorite. The beach is top notch with tons of included watersports (Hobie’s, kayaks, windsurfing) and the grounds are absolutely immaculate. We’ve never upgraded from a base level room because even they have stunning views of the winding pools and gardens. The lazy river around the spa is nothing short of heavenly, with spa music playing in the background and plenty of pool floats to take you around. The variety of pools makes everyday a new adventure , with new scenery to take in each day. The breakfast and lunch buffets are the most extensive we’ve ever seen at an all-inclusive (made to order omelettes, sushi, more juices than you can imagine, pastries, desserts) – and all so delicious. The dinners are very good (not the best we’ve had, but certainly good enough considering so many other pluses). Betsy, our server at the lazy river, was AMAZING!! She would find us floating on the river and kept the drinks coming all day long. So above and beyond – we miss her already! Another huge highlight was seeing Gustavo de la Cruz again – the acoustic guitar player we first saw at Excellence Playa Mujeres. They must extend his shows because he is such a joy to listen to. In comparing ERC to EPM, I’d say that ERC is a bit more lively and larger in size. I prefer the Mediterranean feel of ERC, although the contemporary feel at EPM is beautiful as well. Other pluses are full bottles of liquor in the rooms, a decent size beer selection, and live music every night in the “plaza”. Don’t hesitate – just go!

Room Tip: Even the base level rooms are gorgeous with great views of the winding pools and gardens.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!