“30th anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Hutchinson, Minnesota
“30th anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went to this resort for our 25th anniversary and this is our third trip here since and are just getting back for our 30th anniversary. Absolutely fantastic. Would go back tomorrow for another 10 days if possible. If you are looking for a tremendous break, this is the place. Attention to details all the way! We have always stayed at the excellence club level and this time with a 2 story roof top terrace was tremendous. Check it all out. You can be as laid back as you want or as active with excursions and resort activities.

An ultimate break!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,065)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I know this is a high boast but this is the best resort I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at about 10 all inclusives and this was by far the best. We booked an oceanfront room on the second floor and had a gorgeous view and were able to leave the door open and listen to the ocean all night. The food was the best of any all inclusive I have stayed at and that is not even a close comparison. I really have no complaints and that is a bit odd but also probably some luck as each vacation experience brings its own negative adventures as no resort can be perfect

• Stayed January 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Excellence Riviera Cancun (ERC) is beyond amazing. Wegot married
April 19, 2013 and had 86 guests attend our beach wedding and not a
single person had a complaint. In fact people loved the resort so
much that they are already planning family trips back there. With a
wedding of 86 people I was expecting at least one thing to go wrong
and I was very surprised that nothing did. Everyone raved about how
wonder the resort and travel company were!. The Ceremony was on the
beach, (4:30pm) the cocktail hour on the pier(5:30pm), and the
reception (6:30-11:30)pm was also on the beach..all were amazing!

1)On site wedding coordination- Gloria was amazing! I have heard
horror stories about other resorts that are hard to work with and
nothing goes right, this was the complete opposite. Gloria always
emailed me back promptly. she helped me coordinate our flowers, cake,
food,decorations, DJ, and photo booth. I sent her pictures of what I

- Hide quoted text -
wanted and she made it happen. Even when what i wanted wasn't offered
in their wedding look books, all i had to do is send a picture and it
happened. I honestly don't think she knows the word no at all. Gloria
made this day and weekend amazing for us.

2)Food- the food was very good. Much better than most all-inclusive
resorts. Many of the wedding guests commented on how great the food
was. All of the restaurants were very good and true to their theme.
Room service food was also very good. Our actual wedding food was
amazing! Actually the best food we had all week.

3)Rooms- the were great! very roomy and sunny. The rooms look exactly
like the pictures on-line. Swim out rooms are awesome. The excellence
club is also pretty cool as you get access to a private pool, beach
and lounge. The lounge has very expensive alcohol you can drink and
snacks all day. If you can afford the upgrade its nice but you will be
just as happy without it, they treat everyone great there so you don't
need to be in the VIP area to be treated like one. One of the reasons
we choose this resort was that their basic room was just as nice as
the upgraded ones. The only difference was that the upgraded ones have
extras like rooftop spas, hammocks, swim out rooms, ect. But all of
our guest loved their rooms no matter what category they were in.

4)Beach & Pool- The thing i loved the most about these were the
abundant amount of chairs at both. It was very nice not to have to
fight for chairs every day! They were also very clean. There is a
brick pizza oven at the pool which is kinda fun. also soft serve ice
cream yummy! If you want a more fun environment you can go to the main
pool where there is live music but if you prefer a quieter time you
can hang at one of the other pools where it is very calming and
relaxing. I loved the options for our large group and i know the older
guests did too.

5)Nighttime shows- the shows were fun and well put together. the
outdoor theater was awesome and served as a great meet up spot. it was
also a nice place to hang in the shade during the day. The disco is
fun, not always packed up a good amount of people in there having a
good time and dancing the night away. I had my bacholette party in
there.

6)Service- AMAZING! all of the staff is so nice to everyone. The
service at the pool and beach is also very good. They must train their
people to never say NO and to make it happen because that is the type
of service you get from everyone at this resort. I asked for a
cheesecake at a place that didn't have it on the menu and their
response was do you want it round or square? I had to say I didn't
need a whole cheesecake just a slice and of course they brought me
one. Honestly who offers to make you an entire cheesecake…The service
is impeccable.

7)Spa- The spa is awesome. You must do the water treatment. I did it
with my bridesmaids the day of our wedding and it was soooo much fun!
There are all sorts of surprises so I wont ruin it for you. We did a
wedding package that included ½ massage, snacks and drinks outside in
private area, and water treatment. Then we went to lunch and came back
for our hair and make up. My hair looked good and was what I asked
for.
8)Travel agent- Divine Destination Weddings & Honeymoons- We used
DDW to coordinate all of our guests. with 86 guests you can only
imagine how hard it would be. They negotiated a group rate, provided
transportation to and from the resort in Cancun and helped with any
other needs that came up. DDW was amazing!!! Everything was executed
flawlessly and every single guest was happy with them. My Coordinator
sent me updates on who has booked as they booked so that I could be
kept informed. She also helped negotiate some perks for us once we
arrived to the hotel. We received a few free nights to be used on our
room or our guests, a free welcome cocktail hour, a room upgrade, and
a few other things. They organized all of the transportation for all
of the guests to and from the resort in Cancun (this was amazing! I
highly recommend using them. I plan on using them for all of my travel
now not just group travel. Their services are free for you as they get
paid from the hotels. It’s a no brainer to use them.

Overall I would highly recommend this resort and Divine Destionation Weddings for your wedding, honeymoon or vacation! There is something for everyone there. You
will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Excellence Club is worth it for a little extra privacy. The swim up rooms are also awesome! They hav...
Lehighton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Excellence Riviera is without a doubt the most beautiful, well planned out, and well maintained resort in the cancun/riviera maya area. The staff is extremely friendly and courteous and always willing to help and answer questions. We stayed in the Excellence Club in an oceanfront room. This is absolutely worth the added expence! We were always gauranteed a spot on the beach or at the pool and you can't go wrong with the concierge service! the food at the different restaurants is delicious! A suggestion also, they will accomodate you if you ask for extra spice, etc! Also, the portions sometimes can seem on the smaller side but remember, it is all inclusive so you can order as much as you'd like something that my husband did frequently! The fire show and the circus show were excellent also and something you definitely do not want to miss! We also went on two excursions and took advantage of the in house reqs from olympus travel! We went to chichen itza and isla mujeres, both of which were an amazing time! In conclusion, you were certainly not be dissapointed by choosing this resort! I know my husband and I were not!

Room Tip: Excellence Club is definitely worth it!
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This resort was beautiful! The staff was absolutely amazing! The beach is so clean and flat, perfect for walking on. We loved the French restaurant! The food was outstanding! The portions are small but they give you just enough to enjoy. Take time to read the Excellence newsletter that is left in your room each night. They do not announce the activities. You have to read the newsletter to see what is going on when and where. Every day they held an outdoor themed bbq on the beach but I do not think everyone was aware of it. The areas was off to the side and away from the crowds. The spa is absolutely beautiful. Try to treat yourself to at least one of the services they offer. They have great deals going on every day, read the newsletter for more details. The one complaint I had, which I noticed other people say, is that the lighting in the room is so dark. For us women it is hard to apply your makeup and do your hair. I loved how everyone seemed to dress up a bit for the evening, which actually seemed to start about 7:00 p.m.! Perfect time to wear your sundresses, sandals, etc. Everyone looked so festive! I happened to step on a piece of shell while walking on the beach and Shamir, one of the lifeguards, helped me to get it out and bandaged up by foot. Everyone is so helpful. If you ask for something, they will get it for you! We did notice in the early morning that some guests put their belongings on the beach chairs/beds close to the Lobster House restaurant to reserve them, then left, and later on the staff came by and removed their belongings and brought them to the lost and found. So if you are going to try and reserve a chair, someone from your party better stay with it, especially in the morning. People also come down and reserve the chairs and huts on the beach really early as well. It seems that this has always been a problem so beware. Enjoy your stay.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I thought we were checking in to a quiet romantic Five Star Resort. Although the grounds are impressive, it is poorly managed. The staff members are very friendly and helpful. The food is gourmet, with the exception of the buffet. Our room was located at the back of the property where it actually is quiet, with the exception of the major thoroughfare next to our building with constant traffic consisting of large buses, delivery trucks and the occasional car. When I inquired about moving to another building, they offered us a room about 50 feet farther away from the thoroughfare for $100.00 more per night. We checked in on Monday and Tuesday morning I woke up (from our very firm bed) to a foot covered in bites. As the day progressed I discovered more bites all over my body. My wife and I Googled bed bugs and found lots of pictures that looked like my bites. The real tragedy came when I went to the front desk and spoke to management about the issue. They informed me that house keeping would clean our room simultaneously to a grounds keeper fumigating our room. "It's not dangerous" they said. Hmmm. Ho hum, no big deal, "can I help you with anything else?" Over the next few days I noticed about 2 in 10 of the other guests had bites all over their legs just like mine. I then realized why managent had the ho hum attitude towards my plight. They have an infestation of bed bugs.

Now let's go to the beach. The beach lounge chairs (in steerage) are actually packed in more efficiently than a can of tuna. If you get there before sunsrise you can get a front row seat to lots of debree washing up from the ocean, beach vendors that come by making lots of noise in between the giant 4X4 Ford tractor towing what looks like a very large leaf rake. It's big, it's loud and puts out a large carbon footprint for your aromatic pleasure.

May I suggest that you use my unfortunate experience to select a different property for your quiet getaway.

All the best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Washington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Excellence in Puerto Moreles, Mexico. It was definitely many levels above in quality of the all-inclusives we experienced elsewhere. Our accommodation was lovely, clean and very well kept. We upgraded from a garden view to the Excellence club. For the small increase in price, we stayed in an ocean-front (not ocean view, ocean-front) room, with plenty of space and added amenities. This included access to a private beach (not as crowded) with butler service at the beach, top-shelf liquor brands in our room, and use of the Excellence Club lounge, which provides refreshments throughout the day, as well as rest accommodations when needed.
The resort is beautifully designed and laid out - very much like a paradise.
Food was plentiful and really good, not mass-produced in quality or quantity.
Entertainment nightly was fun, nothing spectacular but certainly entertaining.
We also took advantage of some add-ons, like a trip to Chichinitsa, and a Mexican wine-tasting session. All were handled well, and we enjoyed the entire experience here.
We would highly recommend this to others, and would like to come back again next year!

Room Tip: Definitely consider upgrading to the Excellence Club level, and request an ocean front.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!