“Second Stay at Excellence Riviera” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% Off Room Rate
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
florida
“Second Stay at Excellence Riviera”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We love all inclusives. This was our second visit to Excellence Riviera and have no complaints. Drinks and service were great. Please remember to tip your servers! The rooms were clean and pool area was well kept. Lots of activities around the pool but there are also quiet spots to enjoy with your loved one. We love the fact that restaurants do not require reservations although there was a long wait in a couple of them. Oh well just spend more time at the bar and let the time pass. The room service is good. Lots of souveniers, i.e. slippers, caps, shirts, etc. We loved the attention and the detail. We loved the turn down service when returning from dinner. Liquor bar in the room is well stocked and so is the mini fridge. Everything you need is but a phone call away. We would definitely recommend this resort and we would definitely return for a third visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,310)
Waynesboro, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun from March 16 to 23, 2013. This was our 11th stay at ERC, and we have done numerous trip reports in the past, so we will only add the following:

1) We always stay at the Club level and feel it is worth the additional money you pay for all the extra things you get, especially the private beach and pool area, Club with free computer access and Concierge service, all day snacks and appetizers, and top shelf liquor including the new special liquor cart (see photo).

2) We had the pleasure to meet the New Executive Chef and we could see some slight changes that he has made to the menus, the options available on the buffets, and the repositioning of some of the more popular items on the breakfast and lunch buffets.

3) The quality and selection was of food in our opinion, is very good, and if you cannot find something to eat on the breakfast and lunch buffets or at the various options available during the day and evening, then you need to stay home.

4) Once again the overall cleanliness and beauty of the resort is impressive, it is always spotless and clean everywhere you go.

5) ERC currently has many new employees and managers, but not to worry, as the resort is still being run to the top notch service and expectations that we have encountered on all of our previous trips.

6) The Martini Bar is just such a classy place with exceptional bartenders eager to serve you your favorite libation, and in the evening it turns into a social venue with very good entertainers performing on some evenings.

Have all of our trips been perfect with no issues, well no, but we are not the type guest that would let this ruin our trip, fretting over a minor issue and letting it ruin your entire trip.

Excellence Riviera Cancun always provides us with a care free, very relaxing vacation and you never have to worry about anything. We will mention a few employees who gave us outstanding service, as the employees are the real reason we continue to return to ERC, some employees we would like to mention are Moises, Joel, Dari, Elmy, Salvador, Juan, Cruz, Luis, Fernando, Cesar, Benjamin, Alberto and Restaurant Managers Santiago and Humberto. Muy Excellente and muchas gracias to everyone at ERC, you treat us so well, and make each and every trip so special and memorable, we will continue to return again and again.

Room Tip: Stay in the Excellence Club
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We travelled to the Excellence for our friend's wedding. We were very much looking forward to this trip...and were not disappointed at all!! The resort was spectacular! I have been to at least a dozen resorts in the past (mostly in Mexico) and this one was far and away the best I have been to.
The food was incredible. No buffets for dinner (which I like). I particularly liked the Indian Restaurant, Basmati. They had fresh nan bread. The food seemed very authentic to the restaurant. Amazing sushi at the Japanese restaurant, delicious eggplant appetizer at the Italian. You get the picture! The wait time was a bit long. If you have a large party, it may be easier and quicker to get a table if you split into small groups. Another tip, get your buzzer from the restaurant, and go up to your room to get ready. Plan for at least an hour wait, so go get your buzzer before you get hungry! It's worth mentioning the top shelf liquor. I am a rye drinker and they had Crown Royal and Canadian Club. Yay!
The pools were spectacular. A couple of the days we felt like getting away from the hustle and bustle at the main pool (where the swim up bar is) and we found a quiet, serene spot by the spa. Your pool experience can be fun and lively or you can make it zen.
My absolute favourite was the spa. My fiancé and I got a couples hot stone massage and it was so amazing. We finished with champagne and strawberries. The spa was top notch. It was the highlight of my trip!
I think it's worth mentioning the medical service I received on the resort. When I first arrived, I was sick. I had a fever and chest cough. After 2 days, I felt like I needed to visit the doctor so my entire vacation wasn't ruined. I went down to the front desk and they pointed the way to the doctor's office, which was right in the resort. Within 25 minutes the doctor diagnosed me (strep throat...errrrrr!), gave me an injection of penicillin and wrote a prescription for antibiotics which I then brought to the conceirge who called it in to the pharmacy. Within an hour, I had my meds! And my trip was saved!!
Our room was gorgeous with a big jacuzzi tub in the center and a beautiful balcony. The rooms were cleaned twice a day and there was a turn down service. It was so nice to come back to a clean room each night.
Room service was excellent too. It was nice to have breakfast in our room or an afternoon snack.
Would I go back to this resort again? In a heart beat!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is just amazing! The food, accomodation, grounds and service from all staff is out of this world. There are no bad points. If you are considering this hotel, just book it. You will not regret it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

the resort was fantastic, excellent food and drink. Staff is amazingly helpful, and always tried to enhance the experience. The wait at some of the restaurants was long (particularly the french) and service was slow on a couple of occassions. The tennis pro was excellent as was yoga. We will definately go back. I do think that the only downside is some of the guests who treat the staff as their personal servants, with bad attitudes toward the staff. or others who drink excessively then fight all night. Beach chairs were a bit of a game, with people reserving the chairs, then not using them or leaving without removing towels, so one was unsure if the chair was truly occupied. Overall we had a great trip and would recommend the excellent riviera cancun

Room Tip: we had a swim out located in spa area... peaceful and relaxing
Courtice, ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I travelled to Excellence RC from March 20-28,2013 with my wife for our 20 th Anniversary and I had read many reviews regarding this property. Well I can tell you that I was not disappointed in my choice. The resort was top notch from the room, the food, the shows and finally the entertainment and we enjoyed each and every one of our 8 DAYS there. The weather was 30 degrees for 5 days and the last three days were in the mid 20's. We initially had booked a spa view and when we got there we upgraded to a room the was on the lazy river in Building #3 that was amazing.

The room was fine until our 2 nd last day when the ceiling began to leak. I want to thank Marianna from Guest Services for finding us a new room and the various ways she made up for the issue with room. The special appetizer and deserts from the various Chefs were amazing.

The food was OUTSTANDING and the live music at breakfast, lunch and dinner was a clear demonstration of why this resort is. 5 STAR resort. I would like to say thank you to Enrique for his great service and I knowledge of wine.

The next area I would like to mention is the Entertainment Staff and the shows. The entertainment group did a great job of keeping everyone around the resort involved in various activities from the music/ movie trivia game(Pedro), bike tour in to town (Karla), Texas Hold um(Alfonzo) Casino (Sofia) and finally Angel who was always there smiling and able to get people up dong fun things. The Entertainment Team was by far the best entertainment team at any resort that we have been at.

The only negative was the people who got up early and reserved chairs, however it was great seeing the resort staff removing the towels and items if they were vacant for an extended period of time.

If you are thinking about going to EXCELLENCE CANCUN go and you will not be disappointed.

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I visited this resort from March 21st - 28th. This is our 3rd trip to Mexico, staying at El Cid & Aventura Spa before. For us, this trip was all about relaxing and recharging and this resort and it's amazing staff helped us do just that.
When we originally booked our reservation, there were no Excellence Club rooms available. However, when we arrived at the front desk, we decided to try and upgrade. The only room available of course was the honeymoon suite. We went back and forth and in the end decided to go for it (YOLO right?! lol) We were celebrating my birthday on this trip and we felt we got a pretty good deal. Besides, I really wanted the Excellence Club experience (after having upgraded at previous resorts and loved it)
The room was beautiful! Large and spacious - we were on the main level w/ swim up - two patios & a hammock (this was a big plus with my husband), two jacuzzis (one inside & one outside), large king size bed (a little on the hard side, but it didn't keep me awake at night), extra large vanity w/ two sinks, a separate room for the large marble shower (great pressure but temp was inconsistent) and for the toilet. In our room we even had a separate room w/ a massage table (we never utilized it though). The mini bar was awesome with large sized spirits of all kinds and the fridge at cold beer/pop/water and candy. We had a wonderful and amazing view of the beach and ocean although I imagine it would be that much better from the higher suites. I really liked having the loungers right outside our room with the pool just steps away, however, where our room was located, we were facing one of the main pools (cold) and not the Excellence Club pool (heated) so we never used it much other than taking a quick dip to cool off.
We did see some people saving loungers, but we also saw staff leaving notes that highlighted the fact that no saving is allowed and it indicated the time they came by so that if they came back 1/2 hour later, they would remove their things to the lost & found. My husband and I woke up early one morning so we could find a spot by the heated excellence pool -even ordering breakfast extra early to our room so we could get out as soon as possible - but it wasn't even an issue - There were a lot of open loungers and there were plenty left open throughout the day.
The excellence club pool side service however was severely lacking. We sat in our loungers the entire morning and never once had anyone come to ask us if we wanted a drink. Not really a big deal since the bar was very close by but I thought it was odd since we could be laying on our loungers in front of our room and waiters would come by quite regularly to see if we wanted anything. To be honest, there wasn't much of a benefit to the excellence club that we could say was worth the money - Probably the best thing was the heated pool. The Excellence club lounge is a nice touch but if it wasn't there we wouldn't have missed it. And as far as I can tell, everyone is treated so well by staff no matter what rooms they are staying in and there are no reservations or preferential treatment at bars/restaurants that I just can't justify spending the money.
The food was amazing! Loved the buffets at Barcelona (lunch is better than breakfast imo). For supper, we really loved the food and service at Agave (mexican), Basmati (Indian), & Chez Isabelle (French) the best. I loved the sushi at Spice and Toscana was good as well but it didn't stick with me like the others did. I would go back to this resort for the food alone it was that good! We also ordered room service a handful of times which was also really good and fast. There's a cabinet you can place your dirty dishes in which opens up outside your room for clean up which now that I think about it was a really nice touch -this way you don't walk around the resort seeing dirty dishes piled up on the floor outside peoples rooms.
The entertainment was the best of all the resorts we've been to. There is a large open air theater with plenty of seats and it's own bar. We really enjoyed both the Madonna and Michael Jackson shows. The entertainers are very talented in all the shows, but these were our favorites.
The Spa! On previous trips, my husband and I went off the resort to see the ruins, cenotes, and water parks so on this trip it was all about the spa for us. We did the Couples Vitality massage which was really really good. We tried the hydrotherapy which was a nice precursor to the massage although the jets were very strong and somewhat painful. I liked the steam, sauna and cold plunge pool the best. I also did a hot stone massage one day which was one of the best I've had and hubby tried the stress cure which he says is hands down the best massage he's ever had. The spa is beautiful and the strawberry's and champagne at the end is very nice touch too. The staff here is very professional and talented.
The only thing that may make us think twice about returning to this resort was something beyond their control - the weather. It must be just where it's located but the wind was awful! I also think that based on where our room was, we had more wind than elsewhere on the resort because it seemed to affect us more than others. The wind was just constant and not just a slight breeze either..it was practically impossible to read a magazine in the loungers out front of our room and when there were clouds/shade it could be downright chilly. This was the main thing that kept us out of the pools. We also had some rain which is a first for us since we've always been lucky with the weather at other times. Again, this isn't the resort's fault and because there are so many meandering pools and hidden spots around the resort with loungers it was easy enough to find a spot with less wind...just not as convenient as being right outside our room.
All in all, this resort really lived up to it's name and checked off all our boxes for a romantic and relaxing holiday. The staff is top notch (although we did experience slow service at the excellence club pool bar and lobster house restaurant at lunch), the food was great, the entertainment..entertaining, and the spa incredible. This is definitely a resort for couples and didn't have the party atmosphere that other resorts do - which was perfect for what we were looking for. I felt very special on my birthday with cake, balloons & streamers in my room, even a song at the Basmati restaurant from the staff along with a single rose to celebrate. I would recommend this resort for sure!

Room Tip: Not worth the money to upgrade to the Excellence Club IMO
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!