“Excellante Excellance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% Off Room Rate
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Preston, United Kingdom
“Excellante Excellance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband & I have just returned from a 14 nights holiday at this hotel. It was our first trip to Mexico & our first ever all in inclusive holiday. We were a little wary as to what to expect but this hotel had come strongly recommended & I had been reviewing it for months.Might I add my husband & I have travelled all over the world staying in many top class hotels but this is unbelievably the best in every way. From arriving & being welcomed with cool towels & a glass of sparkling wine to departing our holiday was wall to wall five star luxury & service & exceeded any expectations we had had.As every one mentions the staff throughout the hotel are all so friendly helpfully & polite.We stayed in block 1 on the third floor opposite the spa. The room was spacious & clean. I had asked for a room on a higher floor with a possible sea VIew & that's what we got. We had a lovely view onto the lazy river, spa & a partial sea VIew.It was very quiet & well located to access all amenities. We had two double beds rather than 1 king size & would have preferred a king size but was bothered if we asked to move we might loose the lovely VIew we had. We stayed & just used 1of the beds which was fine. Housekeeping was good & turn down service also.If they came as we were getting ready to go out we just asked them to come back an hour later & they always did. We only had room service once for breakfast & our hot food arrived in 30 mins. We did ask for an ice bucket on a couple of occasions & they tended to forget. A bit annoying as there is no ice machine in block 1 & my husband went to block 2 & 3 & they were out of order. The pools the beach & the grounds are lovely if you want peace & quiet try to get a lounger near the spa & juice bar. You can listen to piped music & relax. All the restaurants are top class but food is a personal thing & everyone has a favourite. Ours was Basmati it was superb & we went 4 times I would have gone more but you do need to try them all. The food & the staff there were superb! We went to spice 3 times & enjoyed every time we went. We never tried the cooking show & wished we had. We also went to the French 3 times & found this the most romantic with excellent service. The steaks here were great but I did order a fish dish which wasn't up to standards we were used to. The Italian was ok but not our favourite but the pizza (oregano) was superb. We liked it that much we ate there twice at lunchtime also. We ate at the steak house once but we were not very keen. This could be because we had eaten lunch there one day & the food & service was very poor(the only bad experience of the whole holiday!). We had lunch at the lobster house & the service was excellent you wouldn't believe the steak house is connected & they serve the same menu at lunch. It just goes to show what a difference service makes. We never ate at the lobster house at night mainly because it was quite windy & a few people told us it was the wrong season for lobster & it was frozen & only very small portions. We ate at the Mexican once & that was very nice but again you were seated in a courtyard & some nights it was too windy to sit outside.Breakfasts were amazing. I have never seen so much choice & the omelettes made to order were delicious as we're the poached eggs. You could even have a kir royale to wash your breakfast down with. Inside you are serenaded wit live music mist mornings we usually asked to be seated outside & take in the wonderful views. Lunch if you had room for it you were spoilt for choice again! The daily themed buffet on the beach was fantastic so much choice & different every day & Sat eating with a view to die for. New this year is,a clay pizza oven next to the pool bar where they cook small pizzas with various toppings & you take,away in a box & eat where you choose. You can also go to Barcelona for the buffet where,again there is so much choice it is unbelievable.The shows at night are very entertaining we didn't see them all as we tended to be dining whilst they were on. Our favourite part of the,day was sitting at the martini bar making our way through the vast cocktail list every evening usually listening to live music. We meet some lovely people here brutish Americans & a lovely couple from Quibec.Summing it up this place is amazing & if your thinking of booking it don't think.BOOK IT! We will certainly be going back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1304 overlooking the spa & lazy river with a partial sea VIew. Very quiet &...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,308)
Kings Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at ERC from March 6 - March 13. We were in room 8253 Excellence Club. We were very happy with the room because it overlooked the Excellence pool and the bar, and of course the water. The room had a fantastic view for sunrises.

The food was excellent. The breakfast buffet was unbelievable and had everything you could think of from bagles, english muffins, cereal, pastries, cook to order omelette stations, fresh fruits, and juices, salmon, sushi, incredible. What I loved was the separate bins to hold the bacon... one for crispy bacon, the other for soft bacon.

Room service menu outstanding! Strongly suggest the Excellence Club sandwich and the ceasar salad with grilled chicken. The homemade croutons are very tasty!

Upon our arrival, after we checked in, we visited the Kafe Kafe and the Martini bar. Both bartenders are outstanding and could not be more friendly. I'm annoyed with myself that I don't remember either of their names. We did just arrive and we were a little tired... However, our first impression, was that we were going to have a great time if all the staff members were this attentive.

The reason for the 4 stars and not 5... the lounger, palapa game. Yes, it is written in the daily newsletter that you can't reserve sunbeds, but nothing about loungers or palapa. This put a damper on our vacation, but it certainly did not ruin it.

We don't mind if people actually use the lounger and palapa, but please.... to put a towel down at 6am and not show up until 10 or 11am is simply rude! And for the resort not reinforce the rules is unacceptable. Also, the resort needs to be more personable. It may be the size of the resort, but we really didn't feel "at home" as they kept saying. We realized we like smaller resorts...

Also, I was utterly shocked, when we visited the Martini bar again, and was ignored! Unfortunately, there was a different bartender working the bar(not the wonderful one when we first arrived). We walked up, said "Hola!" He looked up acknowledged us with a nod, and walked away. Never to return. Waited about 5 min, no clue what he was doing, and finally walked away. We wound up going to the Excellence Club lounge, and had some very good drinks with outstanding service.

We would like to acknowledge, Moses, De la Cruz, Lady, and Betsy who took care of us at the Excellence pool and bar, and special thanks to housekeeping, and the room service guys. All provided wonderful service! I'm certainly glad we paid the extra money for the Excellence Club. I definately felt a difference with service and attitude of the staff.

We most likely would not visit this resort again, and would visit EPM instead. We went there last year, and thought it was probably the best vacation yet. Very relaxing and NO LOUNGER GAME! They enforce the no reserving rule! Always a spot available! Every single employee at EPM seems like they really like working there.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

At aged 60 and having travelled around the world this experience was the best great rooms, drop in pool from room, great staff in particulate Marianias the lady who gets things done, yes it's expensive however when you are allowed to have the best meals in a choice of 8 restaurants and drink 24/7 if you can there can be no better value for money and yes we will be returning later this year.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a walk up to pool room otherwise you will regret and possibly get jealous for goo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It baffles me that anyone could find something to complain about in this hotel. The grounds were beautiful and the staff super friendly!

We had just come from Sandos playacar where we got married, to spend 3 days here for our honeymoon and couldn’t have been happier with this hotel. The room was spacious and clean with a nice big Jacuzzi to relax in. They’d decorated it with petals and two swan towels and provided us with a bottle of sparkling wine and a fruit plate. It was lovely just sitting and chilling on the balcony and recovering from all the wedding madness

It was a slightly older crowd, and my husband was a bit bemused that he was the only Mexican guest. No one could work out whether to speak in English or Spanish to him!! It’s a great hotel for romance or older family groups rather than a party hotel. But that wasn’t what we were looking for so we were very happy! Make sure you don't forget to pack dress shirts (for men) for the restauants, we stayed in the first day as realised my husband had none clean so couldnt get into the restaurants we wanted

In terms of entertainment, the live music was awesome, really good. Fireshow was also top notch., The Michael Jackson show…was good enough. Enjoyed it! We were exhausted though so didnt really pay as much attention if we had had more energy

We didn’t do many activities but the airgun shooting thing was really fun even though my new husband is very competitive and got a little bit grumpy when he failed to hit anything!! Ping pong was fun and the pool was nice, even if it was a little bit chilly!! Next time we will probably try to do more activities!

Drinks – I liked the sparkling wine, normal wine and cocktails. The beach drinks service was a lot better than other hotels I’ve been to, the bar guy popped up regularly. My husband liked the whisky options and the occasional cocktail. The no reservations thing is great, I found it much more convenient than only being allowed 3 reservations a week like in other hotels

Room service was quick and food was lovely. You do need to order more than you think though (well, if you are pigs like us) as things like the shrimp came in small portions. We asked for sparkling water and it came very very quickly

Negatives (and these aren’t terrible)…the Italian food tasted great but arrived cold. The breakfast buffet was pretty good but I’d rather have had hash browns than the ‘battered potatoes’ and potato gratin that popped up. And given that we live in mexico we really missed the kinds of salsas that we are used to. but that was it, pretty much a perfect trip that passed way too quickly

Burlington, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I traveled to ERC with friends for our second visit on March 1- 8, 2013. Weather, although cool on the first day and evening was 25 - 27 Celsius and mostly sunny for the rest of the week.

We have been to number of AI's in several locations...DR (2), Mayan (4), Jamaica (1), St. Lucia (1), and Bahamas (1). My review is given in the context of comparing ERC to my other AI experiences and not trying to compare the resort to a North American 5 star hotel.

Based on that standard, ERC is a fantastic resort and the best we have been to so far. It is the only resort to which we have paid a repeat visit, because of the quality of the experience the first time. The second time did not disappoint although there were a few small things that were perhaps more noticeable than during the first trip two years ago but positives vastly outweigh negatives. More on my nit-picks later.

First the important positives.

Resort property: Not too big, not too small. Clean and beautiful grounds. Easy to get around. Buildings well maintained and constantly being spruced up by maintenance and ground keeping staff. Only a 15 minute drive from Cancun airport.

Rooms: Spacious and comfortable. Evening turn down service (so always plenty of fresh towels). Great mini bar with good selection including full bottles of wine and liquor, serviced daily. Awesome shower.

Food: Generally very good. Breakfast and lunch buffets were outstanding. Breakfast a la carte at the Lobster House was a tad inconsistent (mainly due to tepid food temperature and slow service when busy). The extensive lunch menu at The Grill offered great variety. For dinner we did the French Gourmet twice...outstanding. Basmati Indian...really good and very authentic. Tappenyaki at Spice is about what you would expect...passable Japanese style food and a fun evening. Steakhouse...great, had an excellent ribeye cooked perfectly. Italian and Mexican were OK...not awful but not stellar. We did not eat at the Lobster House for dinner.

Drinks: Great beer selection by AI standards. Beside Corona on draught they offered in either bottles or cans: Budweiser, Bud Light, Corona Light, Pacifico, Modelo Light, Carlsberg and Negra Modelo. Wine is Chilean and not bad. They have a supplementary wine list with a good selection, if you want to buy better, which I did one evening. Liquor selection is premium and extensive. If you want the good stuff, just ask.

Staff: Everyone we encountered, without exception, was polite, pleasant, accommodating, extremely hard working and grateful if you tipped them for their excellent service, which we did frequently.

Beach: Absolutely fine for what we wanted. Took a long walk daily and walked into Puerto Morelos one day (about 45 minutes each way).

Pools: Lots of pool space winding throughout the resort. Unlike many AI's the pool bar is not the focal point of the resort's main pool area as it is located off to the side and seemed to be shaded for a good part of the day. This may be by design in order to keep the pool bar noise to a minimum. Those who like the pool bar scene will find it. Those who might try the pool bar if it were more conveniently located, will probably give it a pass.

Beach Towels: As many as you want, whenever you want. I love that!

Now the nit-picks.

Restaurant reservations: There are none, which is great in theory. But, be prepared to wait up to 90 minutes for a table at the most popular restaurants if you do not get there before about 6:45 pm. When we did get the first sitting (vs. getting a table at 8:30 pm or later), the service felt rushed to me, I assume in order to turn the tables quickly. Solution? Ignore the clock, take your table when ready and have some more drinks while you wait...it is vacation after all!

Lounge Chairs: There are plenty on the beach and around the pools. However, this visit there seemed to be much more of the chair saving game. Palapas on the beach were all taken by 8 am. The hotel warns guests that they will remove belongings from chairs if left for too long, but I didn't see that happen. On a couple of occasions, if chairs had towels on them but no personal belongings, we had no hesitation taking them and no one ever showed up to claim the chair.

Beds: Kinda hard and pillows are small. King beds can be at a premium. I recommend e-mailing ahead to specifically request a king bed if you want one. It may increase your chances should the hotel be full and you check in late in the day.

That's it for the negatives. ERC is a wonderful resort with good food and drinks, great service and great value for money. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from two weeks on the Mayan Riviera-the first week at the Valentin,(reviewed separately) , and the second week at Excellence Riviera Cancun.
This was our third Excellence resort and this time we upgraded to the Excellence Club.
We enjoyed our oceanfront view from building 8, which was very well located, close to both the beach and the lazy river pool.
Our room was pretty, but not as elegant as the one we had two years ago at Excellence Playa Mujeres. We had two whirlpool tubs, one of which was located on the balcony.
Housekeeping was generally good, although sometimes our room was not ready when we came in from the beach.
The grounds here are beautiful, with stunning tropical flowers and beautiful tropical trees.
The employees here were friendly and professional and work so hard.
The weakest aspect of this resort was the food. The breakfasts, both at Toscana and the excellence Club were very good,(especially the coffee in the Excellence Club), but the lunches and dinners often disappointed.
Our dinner at the French restaurant was poor and two room service meals arrived cold.
We did enjoy Basmati and Spice, but felt that a hotel of this quality and price range needs to up the ante.
Food at both Excellence Playa Mujeres and Excellence Punta Cana had been superior.
All in all a great week at a lovely place.

Room Tip: Building 9, which is not in the Excellence Club is in a great location and has afternoon sun at the...
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from the ERC for the 6th year in a row and it just keeps getting better every year.
What can we say that everyone else has not. A beautiful resort ,great beach and most of all some of the nicest staff and guest you will ever meet.

So nice to see familiar faces, staff and returning guests as well.

Special thanks to:
Excellence club staff...Moses and Saul

Guest services: Maryanne for our special anniversary dinner and her bright friendly smile

Breakfast buffet: Ramone, Antonio and Gustavo.

Grill: Lillianna and frank

No need to worry about going to the Riveria Maya area we always feel safe here,have traveled to playa del carmin for church and shopping as well as taking the ferry to Cozumel for more shopping and NEVER seen any trouble anywhere.

Thanks again to all the staff and great bunch of people like Susan and jeff from Canada who made our vacation special....already planning our return next year!!!!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are around the spa or excellence area
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!