“Fantastic holiday!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
scotland
“Fantastic holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from the Excellence Riviera. We spent two weeks here and had an absolutely amazing time! We have been to many luxury hotels around the world and this really was one of the very best. So much so that we are now looking to book up for next years holiday!
The service was outstanding and really could not be faulted. The staff were most attentive, with or without tipping! However, they work so hard that you actually want to tip. Every member of staff around the hotel smiled and said hello when passing. In fact I would say that the staff were the most warm and courteous people that we have come across. It really does make a huge difference to the overall experience.
The food was out of this world! It was always fresh and the variety was very impressive. I am a very fussy eater and find it difficult to find something I like, but here I was spoiled for choice!
The rooms – just excellent. We thought about upgrading but did not think that it was worth it as the standard rooms are anything but standard! We had a huge four poster bed, small seating area, roomy balcony looking onto the spa, two sinks, an impressive mini bar, and most importantly a fantastic huge double Jacuzzi! The rooms were cleaned day and night.
It was actually my birthday when I was out there and the hotel decorated the room with balloons and banners which was a very nice touch. They also sent me a birthday cake to the room!
The entertainment was also excellent.
The only think that I can think of that would have made the stay better would have been a shuttle bus into cancun for shopping. We were given a quote of $90 return for a taxi into cancun which we didn’t take as we thought it was too expensive to look around some shops. A shuttle offered by the hotel into cancun, even once a week, would make a huge difference as a few people we spoke to felt the same way.
Also, although it states that no reservations are required, it does not mean that you can turn up to the restaurant of your choice and get seated. In fact we had an average wait of 45minutes. Once we knew that this was the case it wasn’t a problem as there was usually entertainment around this time while you wait.
Overall it was an outstanding hotel and cannot wait to return!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,049)
Warwickshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This was the first visit to Mexico and the Excellence but one of many all inclusive types.

TRIP
Thompson airways flying premium rate, it was ok but still couldn’t sleep and it is 10.45 hrs!

HOTEL
Check in was seamless the only thing was my wife was on tablets could not drink champagne and they did not have anything else to hand, but did rush off and reappeared with a bottle of cold water
Room was ready, porter transported bags and explained the items in the room.

ROOM
We stayed in a junior suite in block 4, 2 vanity sinks, Jacuzzi bath, walk in shower, 2 double beds, table, settee, large TV, fridge, ample branded spirits (4 bottles). Cleaned every day, but sometimes not finished by 1630 when we had had enough of the heat. Also turn down service arrived at 18.15 just as we were getting ready to go out – timing not always great. Balcony could have done with a couple of comfy chairs, only 1 provided. We did ask for a wakeup call one day with a breakfast in room for 0530 (day trip at 0600) call did not occur, fortunately we woke and the breakfast after a call arrived at 0550 just time to eat and rush to coach – delay according to waiter he had 4 deliveries all at 0530!!
MINI BAR
Water, beer, fruit juice, water and some chocolate bars – topped up daily. On top bottles of Tequila, Smirnoff Vodka, Beefeater Gin and Jim Beam Bourbon oh and red / white wine – what more could you want (if you do its certain to be at a bar)

FOOD
Tried all the restaurants, buffet for breakfast, and we found the buffet in the Barcelona best at lunchtime as it is air conditioned and fresh fish, meat and pasta cooked to your liking. Just like to say a big thank you to Viridiana who looked after us for most of the holiday at lunchtimes and I can tell you I am missing the tuna, prawns and chicken she cooked for me most days.
STAFF
Most staff friendly and helpful but believed this was generally aimed at ensuring you might leave them a tip, I would have liked to think not but that the reality of poorly paid staff.

BARS
Doesn’t matter what brand of drink you want I believe this hotel could provide it and they can mix cocktails to suit any demands

ENTERTAINMENT/SHOWS/EXCURSIONS
We did the Chitchen Itza trip, long day but worth it to see the ruins of the Mayan temple. Locally however walks restricted to those along beach to Puerto Morrelos (poor little fishing town) as anywhere else is swamp occupied by crocodiles. Hence be aware this is not a hotel if you like roaming the locality.
Hotel entertainment brilliant, great professional shows by a great team in a great facility.

OVERALL
We had a great holiday and minor issues we had were pretty small and would not stop us from returning for another trip or recommending Excellence to others.

Room Tip: Blocks 1 - 6 on quiet side any others can pick up music from near beach
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Mexico at the end of October 2012. After extensive searching we settled on staying at the Excellence in Riveria Cancun! So the right choice for a week long get away....first of all we were picked up by van transport from the airport, the driver was very nice and Jesus greeted us at the property with smiles, champagne, a cool towel and a tour around the property. He was wonderful and made an excellent first impression for us of the resort.

On first impression... clean and neat as a pin! Staff was everywhere, always with an "hola!" no matter where we were on property. They all seem to take great pride not only in their job, but in making sure that you ,as the guest ,have everything that you need from drinks to towels... you name it!
We upgraded to the EXCELLENCE club, totally worth it if you have the funds. Having the use of the club was nice, it was centrally located had 3 computers for free internet access, and had a full bar for coffee and top shelf liquor. They always had snacks and champagne and at least 2 people on duty to help with arrangements in and around the resort. Was nice not to have to trek to the concierge. (which was not much of a trek mind you). The Club level also offered private bar and pool. Service to your cabana on the beach was wonderful. The bartender Moises, was awesome, got to know our drinks daily! Muchas Gracias for the great service.
Quieter than the other pools and beach. The staff was Uber- attentive.

The restaurants were good and didn't have any problem getting seated within a reasonable time. Suggest lunches on the beach daily , great selection, liked the sushi in the beach day, though there was no sushi..more like chinese. Burgers were good too, as well as mexican. The daily breakfast buffet was excellent, lots of options... even NUTELLA! Traditional Mexican dishes as well as American fare as well....tocino (bacon) was in big supply. Not worth going to eat at the Lobster House for Breakfast. I like serving myself!

Great ROOM SERVICE MENU! for those who want to chill out and eat in!

We did a wine tasting with Carlos. Not only was he very attentive and informative but he also does the cigar tasting as well, when my husband was unable to get into the event (6) people max, he offered a private tasting just for him! OUTSTANDING service! Please seek him out, he is the somolier for the French Restaurant which was our favorite during our stay.

We opted not to do any big day trips to the ruins but did go to Playa Del Carmen for a few hours to shop before we left. The round trip cab is $90. If you take a van -(at the tour desk)it is under $20 a person and they leave at 3ish and get back after 8.... (great if you plan to have dinner there, plenty of great looking restaurants)....we were pinched for time and we decided to go on our own. The drive was about 25 minutes and the cabbie waited for us for 3 hours while we shopped. Incidentally you need to pay them in PESOS. And you can only get $100 changed a day at the resort. So if you plan on going off property and need pesos, please take care to change money daily if you need more than 1000 pesos. At writing the exchange is $1= 12 pesos.

The room was lovely, overlooking the ocean and the pool. beds were not particularly comfortable. You get a pillow menu in your room if you need to change out your pillows. Our room had a musty smell, which was kind of a downer, but it is so moist there, it is hard to see how they might deal with that issue. All my clothing felt a little damp when i came home. When you are in the room the smell disapates, i suggest bringing a Glade candle.

Daily Live music made the resort the place to be, playing everything from "Don't Top Believin! to traditional Mexican tunes.... was a wonderful addition to the atmosphere and everyone was singing along. Excellent nightly entertainment and always something to do, from learning Spanish, to cooking demos,Scuba, riflery... even towel folding!
They don't miss anything!

I don't have enough nice things to say about the staff, they worked tirelessly. day and night to make the resort beautiful even clearing the beach several times daily of the seaweed, which seemed to be a never ending battle, since it was so windy the first few days we were there.

For beach go-ers, we were not hassled over and over by vendors, not like if you stay in the Cancun hotel zone. Beautiful clean,white sand beach but no shells :(

Lastly we had photographs taken by Richard Torrens. You can find him and the photographers who have a table set up near the concierge. They truly made our vacation, giving us wonderful images to take home. Since this was not an anniversary or our honeymoon , we just wanted some great pictures of us, he made us look and feel great! The prices were reasonable, about what you would pay for an hours sitting fee and 50 images on cd with full rights to print.

We will go back. Hope this helps you make you choice. it will be a stay you will not regret!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Excellence Club in possible. The Swim up rooms, don't offer much privacy if you plan...
Sutton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary and my 64th birthday, they made our actual day excellent hence the name Excellence. All the staff from bellboy to management were so friendly and helpful. We were greeted upon arrival with a glass of champagne and a hot towel and this made us feel special. This being an adult only hotel we were expecting peace and quiet but sometimes the American occupation became like children very noisy and were quite often abusive to the staff, and made me feel very uncomfortable, you do not treat staff that are doing their best in this manner.
If you went out to eat after about 7.30 you were often asked to return in 45 minutes to an hour.
The entertainment was superb and this coming from a person that doesn't do hotel entertainment.
On the whole it was quite an amazing place.

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I had our 15th anniversary at Excellence. This was our first trip outside Canada and our first all inclusive. I poured over reviews forever to try and find somewhere to go to make this trip special. I didn't mean to write a book, but here are my impressions.

TRIP
We booked with Air Canada Vacations and I was disapointed with the lack of information they provided about what to expect. There are no trip representatives in the airport so if we hadn't been warned by family/friends, and trip advisor, we really could have gotten stuck with those time share people. They'll say anything to get you to go with them and they look official with their badges...but don't get sucked in unless you're willing to trade a few hours for a voucher or two. You almost have to be rude as a simple 'no' doesn't cut it. Just keep walking. The hotel transfer included in our tickets was just fine. The mini bus was air conditioned, there were only 6 of us and it was a pretty quick trip (30 mins) with our drop off being first.

HOTEL
My overall impression of the hotel was lovely. Everything is large and comfortable and well maintained, certainly not perfect, but if you're looking for perfection...I don't think it exists. I saw very little to complain about, a cigarette butt in the pool, a few glasses left here and there from the night before. The staff seems to work very hard to keep things up.
Check in went ok. The cool towel and champagne were nice but felt awkward. I couldn't drink the champagne, not after the heat and long hours of travel. I didn't find the reception/check in portion any different then any other standard hotel. The room wasn't ready for hours which we did expect but since we were feeling pretty miserable it made it a tough 3 hours. The map they give you when you check in has bars and restaurants marked but no washrooms which I thought weird. It seemed that the best way to find things was just to go looking. No one ever offered to help. The bell hop did point out a few things when bringing us to our room but that was all.

ROOM
We stayed in the usual junior suite and the room was quite nice. I asked for a quiet spot and we were in spa block 3. The bed was firm but I slept very well. I didn't even have to put ear plugs in, there was no noise at all. The air conditioning worked well and provided some white noise. Things seemed very clean. The water pressure in the shower was very good. I did wake up at 2 am one night to find we had no running water at all but it seemed fixed by morning. (never did hear what happened) The toilet is in it's own little closet so if you're not comfortable in small spaces you might find it claustrophobic. There's also a gap at the bottom of the door that made me think of a public washroom stall. I thought it a bit odd. I did like having the sinks separate though the lighting over the mirror was poor and one of our bulbs burned out a few days before we left and it was never replaced.
Our maid service was typically around 4-430 pm which is late for us since we're early to bed and early to rise people. Once we caught on to the time though we could work around it. We were always back in the room before turn down service and usually skipped it, just getting the news letter for the next day.

MINI BAR
We didn't use the mini bar much. We used mostly water, the occasional pop and the snacks. Of all the alcohol in the room, there was no rum which is what my husband prefers. We asked 3 times for a bottle of rum, even offered to trade everything else, but it never came. Not the end of the world given the number of bars about the place, but they should just tell you if they can't accommodate you.

FOOD
We really enjoyed the food. The buffet breakfast each day had more then enough choices for us. You could eat light and healthy or tuck in to anything your heart desired. Only one day did I get enough milk in my coffee but I started to grab a glass of milk by the cereal bar, so not a big deal. We enjoyed most of the restaurants except the Grill. We went for lunch the same day we arrived. I had a club sandwich and the toast was cold and chewy same as the french fries...so not so good. We gave it another try later in the week in case the long trip influenced our opinions. The second time we ordered onion rings, wings and nachos to share. The order of onion rings consisted of 4 onion rings in slightly soggy breading. The order of wings also contained 4, they were ok. The nachos weren't very good to our mind either. Their chips are much thicker then we're used to and it was topped with a cheese whiz style sauce and whole slices of onion. We did enjoy the open air atmosphere and the birds didn't bother us at all.
On the plus side, we ordered room service a couple times and the fajitas are just awesome. I really enjoyed the fresh salsa and guacamole (and I've never really liked guacamole) We thought the quality of the room service was very good and it was reasonably quick. The x-box where you dispose of your dirty dishes wasn't cleaned for a couple days...but out of sight, out of mind in my opinion. We had no ant or bug problems.
There was lots of choice at the lunch buffet and we did lunch on the beach twice during Taco Fiesta and the Cowboy BBQ. There was a variety of foods and I thought it was good both times. (yay for the sauted peppers/onions and bbq'd corn, vegetable comment below :)
Basmati was by far our favorite restaurant for both food quality and service. This was the only where I really felt comfortable and at home. This was my first time eating Indian food and the waiter's recommendations were spot on. (Thanks Ramone!)
We had our anniversary dinner at Chez Isabelle and the service was painfully slow. We had a very nice time despite this. The filet mignon was tasty.
We found Spice nice too, but it was less suited to our tastes. There was less to choose from (from our point of view) unless you wanted sushi or other fish dishes. We both had teriakyi steak which we found quite good.
The pasta restuarant, Toscana, was good but they weren't very busy and the waiters hovered to the point where we wanted to just leave. Not the worse problem you could have, just a bit uncomfortable.
We had a nice time at Agave too. The menu was nothing like we expected for Mexican food. The lamb chop special they had was good and the highlight was when the mariachi band came in. It was a great atmosphere sitting outside with the lamps on and the men singing. It was a great memory.
The pizza at lunch wasn't very good so we skipped trying it at the restaurant. We also skipped the Lobster House since we're not too keen on seafood.
We were surprised there were no burritos, enchiladas, I guess what I'd think of (as a Canadian) as traditional Mexican food, but I guess they don't qualify as fine dining either.
None of the restaurants seem to view vegetables as a priority. Appetizer salads are typically just a couple small lettuce leafs. I expected portion sizes to be small but one broccoli floret and one piece of carrot seems more like garnish then part of a meal. However, this suited my meat-loving husband just fine.

SPA
I waffled about trying the spa as the prices are a bit up there. I wanted to try a place off resort but wasn't too keen on going off resort by myself on the first trip down. They do have daily deals so finally I decided to book the excellence massage, $104 for 80 mins. The 1 hour hydrotherapy session beforehand is very different and enjoyable. I found the massage nice and over all the atmosphere and service was worth the money.

STAFF
I found most staff friendly but not helpful. Since I'm not happy at work all the time I can't really hold it against them. No one ever offered help or asked how things were (except at the restaurants) but that was ok.

We tipped most of the time. Some people seemed to appreciate it and some didn't seem to care at all.

BARS
I loved trying all the mixed drinks and certainly hit on a few favorites. The drinks were strong, sometimes too strong, when my husband ordered rum and coke sometimes it was a glass of rum with some coke for color...lol, it was vacation, so he just got an extra glass of coke to add mix.

ENTERTAINMENT/SHOWS/EXCURSIONS
Since we get up so early we couldn't stay up to watch the shows. A 9:30 pm start was just too late for us with all the sun and eating and drinking...ha-ha.

We took the free bike tour to Puerto Morelos which was fun. The downside is that they had printed in the news letter to meet at SOL bar when in fact the meeting place was Cafe Kafe. When we asked the entertainment staffer walking by he showed no interest in helping us (there were 4 of us) or seeing if we could catch up to the group. Since we knew by exploring on our own that the bikes were over by the tennis courts we decided to walk over and as it turns out the group was still there getting ready so we were able to join. The lady that did the tour was great.

We booked a shopping tour to Cancun and it was well worth the $20 USD per person. The bus was comfortable, clean and air conditioned and the driver stayed with the bus so you could leave your packages on the shelf above your seat. We had a great time except at the end we had a choice to go to a high end mall with designer shops or Senor Frogs for lunch. We picked Senor Frogs and regretted it. It was like a frat house turned restaurant....too loud, shoving alcohol at you and making a spectacle. I find it obnoxious when you say no to participating and they won't take no for an answer. Also, they gave us a 'tour guide' menu and didn't give us the option of ordering off the menu. I didn't much like that and it wasn't until after that others in our group asked and got a regular menu. And when you get the bill they write "we really like tips" all over it. Not my cup of tea, but it depends on what you like. The world didn't end, I would have made a different choice if I'd have known what it was like.

There is a stand at the hotel by the pool where you can buy finished pottery or you can buy a plain piece and paint your own. This was fun for the day when you're burned and need to keep out of the sun. They fire the pieces and return them in just a couple hours so it was something we enjoyed doing. There were 2 downsides. First of all, they add paint and embellish your piece, which is kind of nice and kind of sad since it's no longer your own work. It's not a huge deal but I wish they would have asked or at least mentioned it before doing it. The second issue was when it came to paying. The prices were listed in US dollars but we had only pesos. The hotel had the exchange rate listed at $12.50 and it was $12 at most of the shops in Cancun, but the lady charged us at an exchange of $14. It's only about $7 USD, but it made us feel ripped off. I assumed that since she was on hotel property then she was affiliated with the resort that you could trust the pricing. I guess we could have just not taken the pottery but that seemed extreme after all the work we spent painting it and we could of complained but we decided not to ruin the experience and chalk it up to things that happen when visiting a foreign country.

OVERALL
We had a great trip. The issues we had were pretty minor and would not stop us from returning for another trip or recommending Excellence to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Going back to a place where you have had a great holiday in the past is always a little dangerous, will it be as good as your remembered,will it have changed or gone downhill - having just come back from 2 weeks at the Excellence Riviera we can honestly say that it is still Excellente! Some of the staff may have changed but those who have come in are just as good and the service and hospitality of everyone there is second to none - I think this shows from the number of people we met there who were back for their 3,4 or even 8th visit including Derek and Carolyn, and Paul and Carol (his new wife now).

the SPA services are great and we had both the Stresscure massage and the Excellence massages both nearly put me to sleep and I felt really great afterwoods. The food in all the restaurants we tried was great and thanks to Mariana in Guest Services we had a wonderful meal in the French restaurant of beef and tuna and a fabulous meal in the Asian one with a starter on a plate with a galleon carved from pineapple, melon and cucumber. Room service meals are noit something I normally would like but the steak we had was as good as many steakhouses could serve up at a table.

Thanks to Mariana and Natasha (Guest Services) Oscar whose new baby is now 14 months old (Basmati) Barbara (Chez Izabelle), Ramon, Antonio and Ricardo(Barcelona) Edy and the wonderful Alana (Toscana) - we hope to go back again and check that the standards are still as high as ever

Room Tip: We've never had a problem with any rooms - I guess the top floors give you the best views
Portknockie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Excellence Riviera Cancun,,,,and again it was FANTASTIC.....meeting all our old friends (staff) and some new...we would like to Thank Mariana and co-worker for all their help and making us so welcome ....we would also like to thank Silverie Choch who made sure we (hubby) had always his Absolute ...The bar staff at the Sol Bar were so attentive and work so hard to make sure all guests are happy ......Laydia and Jessica at the theatre bar were just the best pair of barmaids ......they work so hard to keep us all happy and nothing is a problem ..Thank You girls .......The meals at the Excellence are amazing ...but our favourite has to be the French....Chez Isabelle ...no words to describe how good the food and staff are ...We celebrated our wedding anniversary while we were at the Excellence...we were met with a anniversary banner on our room door ...champagne and fresh fruit in the room ...Fantastic towel swans with rose petals on our bed ....This is our third visit to the Excellence and it will not be our last ...hope to be there next year ......This is a fantastic hotel to visit .it is as quiet or as busy as you want it to be ....The entertainment was very good ..different every night a good verity for all ages ...Just one last thing ...we thank all the staff who serve us our meals and drink ...but we never thank all the back ground staff .....who...keep the gardens beautiful ..the pools clean..and all the other hidden duties .....but i have to mention my friend Roberto who swept around the pool and kept the pool areas nice and clean .....Thank You to all the Excellence staff from the top to the bottom for another fantastic holiday .........EXCELLENTE

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standard
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!