“Excellence Riviera Cancun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Burton, United Kingdom
“Excellence Riviera Cancun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and myself went to this hotel October 4th-18th 2012 and stayed Exclusive club..All I shall say is absoloutley superb..wonderful hotel/grounds/staff/food etc..1st class in every way :)..You are greeted with genuine courtesy and politeness...and a glass of bubbly. Our expierience was that not 1 member of staff could do enough for you and we found all of them very nice and genuine,the entertainment was 1st rate too...Well done all at this wonderful top class hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8051 in the Exlusive club..costs more but worth it..we would book this room again

6,964 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,863)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We have travelled to many locations and can honestly say that this place is well worth a visit. We had a swim up room which was absolutely fantastic complete with sun loungers and a hammock. It was great not having to get up early to get a bed! Every member of staff is a credit to their country and employer. The grounds and public areas are spotlessly clean and elegant.The food is extremely good and totally delicious. As the previous review below states most comments are the opinions of people my husband has a large appetite and found the portion sizes enough. Yes I didn't like the mattress as it was too firm and the bed is really high but thats my opinion. The minibar is restocked each day also with snickers, oreos, m&m, and the rooms fantastic, jacuzzi in bedroom, massive shower, bathrobes, slippers, toiletries large size shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturiser, soap, flannels. Good point I read from a review is when you arrive at the airport your rep will be outside the airport. People will shout when you are inside airport Thomson/First Choice they sound like they are from company but are not. They want to take your luggage just outside and then you have to tip. A polite no thanks they'll leave you alone and there are apparently timeshare sellers there. Don't forget your departure tax, Mexican peso, sterling pounds, American dollars.

Overall a thoroughly fantastic holiday, can't fault staff, hotel, food, book it you won't be disappointed. Enjoy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Llandovery
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We booked this hotel with Blue Bay Travel and we do believe that they provided us with the best possible deal, Their guidance and advice about the resort was first class and it did help so much when David at Blue Bay said that he had stayed at the Excellence and explained why it was the best hotel for us.
We have read every letter about the hotel since we booked in March 2012 and we want to point out to the readers that so many contributors give their opinion about the hotel but that is all that it is, opinion and not fact. Many have said for example that the beds are too hard but none of them say whether for instance they have memory foam mattresses at home. Others say that the food portions are small but again they do not say whether they have a big appetite. We were a little concerned to read these letters but all we can say is that we never left a restaurant other than feeling comfortably full and we had the best nights sleep possible and we woke up because the sun was shinning through our window.
One thing that we have not seen mentioned is the bird life that is abundant at the resort. We spent hours on the beach and on our patio and we never ceased to be amazed at the different birds that were to be seen. There were the usual seagulls but there were what we thought to be cormorants and it was a thrill to see them diving for fish. We also saw swallows and we believed that they wintered in Africa and we did not expect to see them in Mexico.
The hotel is five star. The room was light and airy and for us the extra for the club was worth it because we the sea view that was guaranteed with the club. The club was most useful because it was so easy to call in when we were either going to or from the beach.
There is nothing that we can say about the staff that has not already been said because they are all excellent but similar to many contributors we feel that we must mention the three that for us just went that little bit further and made our holiday the best that we have had. The three worked in the superb Italian restaurant and are Adela Cepada, Jorge Sosa and Manuel Ojeda. Thank you all for making our holiday truly memorable.
We made a great deal of use of room service from breakfast in bed right up to a pot of tea for two before retiring to bed and all we can say is that everything arrived before the estimated time and it was delivered by waiters who in the end became our friends and not waiters.
The one problem that we did have was that we were stung so many times by what we believe to be sand flies or to be a bit more blunt sand fleas, They were not mosquitoes. We had different brands of mosquito spray with us and they kept the mosquitoes away, This was a different and nastier sting and we shall have to find some spray to take with us next time because they are not going to stop us returning to this fabulous resort.
We could go on and on but we would only be repeating what has already been written about this resort. We believe that we have made it as plain as possible that we loved every thing about the Excellence Riviera and we shall be returning as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Take spray with you that will kill the sand fleas and take plenty of sun tan lotion, the sun is stro...
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was out 3rd visit to Mexico and out 3rd different hotel as we like to try different ones. This one was a very good choice. Rooms comfortable with a large spa type bath. The grounds are well kept with features as you walk around. The building are built so that if it rains you can walk almost anywhere and keep dry.
Entertainment is good and well presented. They had live music at Breakfast and throughout the day with bands playing by one of the pools as the others are quiet areas. The evening theater has good seating and plenty of it and the area is well served by waiters/waitresses who will bring drinks to your seat. The entertainment does repeat itself after a week but some of the features are well with seeing twice especially the circus acrobatics.
Food is very good and in plentiful supply with lots of places to eat. The Indian and French are well worth a visit but go early to French as it is popular.
Staff are friendly and will go out of their way to assist.
Highly recommended.

MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a nice stay at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and I would recommend it.
However I don’t necessarily think it’s as great as the reviews have made it seem.
It’s not a hotel I feel I need to return to, but I think anyone going will find it enjoyable.
It’s been a place I wanted to visit for so long, so I think my expectations were high.

I’ll cover the positives first:
Entertainment – I’m not one to normally comment on the entertainment at an all inclusive as it’s not why I go to a place and I don’t expect much. ERC had the best evening entertainment of any all inclusive resort we have been to. Their shows were top notch. (one nice addition would be having servers come around during the show, most AI’s do, here I didn’t see anybody coming around to get drink orders so you had to leave the show if you wanted any drinks) They also offered a disco for after the evening entertainment. There were actually people in there and it was hoppin. Again not many AI’s that I’ve been to offered much in the evening for people who want to stay up and have some fun.

Grounds – The resort has a beautiful setting and it’s not too big and not too small.

Dinners – The Indian restaurant was really good. We had to wait about an hour and a half to get a table, but the food was top notch. The lobster house also had very good food. All of the dinners we had the food was good. I’d say service everywhere was just okay. They were at full capacity the week we went so I’m sure that has a part.
They did a very nice and fun theme night on the beach. I think it was called Arabian nights. They really did a good job, and had very good entertainers. But then it was kind of like okay its over very quickly. There were no games or contests, which I’ve normally seen at the theme parties. Also when we came in we didn’t know where to go and no one was around to direct us, we eventually figured it out, but just needed to be a little bit more organized with the greeters.

Spa- The spa looked amazing, we didn’t have time to go. But they have a 20 circuit water treatment thing that you could book. That by itself seemed really nice. I would recommend planning some time to do that. Watch in the newsletter as they offer spa specials throughout the week. There is a hot tub on the property and it is hot. (many AI’s in the area either don’t have hot tubs or they are not really hot) This one was and each night around 6:00 we’d stop in after the beach and get warm before we went and got ready.

Floats- The resort offered floats for the pool and when you could get them this was great to have. It was sad to see many people laying out on them on their chairs. Rarely in the pool with them. Just let people use them in the water. We always just left ones we were able to get along the edge of the pool after using them so other people could use them while we were laying out. It was also nice to have separate pool areas to visit and lay out at. So if you wanted activity there was the main pool, but if you wanted quiet you could always find a nook or cranny to lay at in a more quiet area.

There is a juice bar near the spa pool area. Make sure you visit here, it’s tucked away and get a fresh fruit drink or smoothie. They were really good. We would’ve ordered more but the person at the stand that day seemed annoyed that someone had found the hut and didn’t really want to make any more drinks, but the one we tried we really liked.

Negatives:
The first room we got was an “upgrade” to a swim up room. It didn’t turn out to be such a good upgrade when the pool filtration wasn’t working. (I do believe the issue was fixed) The water was about 6 inches below where it could even go thru the filter so there was debris everywhere in the pool. (They have multiple pools so this only effected the pool that goes around the spa). Anyway putting up with the moldy smell of a ground floor room is fine if you can just walk out and use the pool but we couldn’t so we ended up moving to a higher floor facing a different pool. We ended up really liking our second room. Their rooms are very nice, just some can smell moldy if on the first floor. Building 9 can get very loud with the trucks coming on the service drive, so I would recommend not getting a room in that building. I had read that here before we went and so glad I did b/c that was the first room they tried to give us. We went to swim in that pool one day and it was very loud and just a lot of traffic noise, not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Breakfast/Lunch – just weren’t that great. They offer tons of variety at the breakfast buffet and you could always find something but it wasn’t as good as other resorts I’ve been to. There are two things I really like in Mexico: good fresh fruit juices and fresh guacamole and pico de gallo. Their juices were limited here, whereas many places have had a whole row of different pitchers of fresh juices. The guac had the consistency of fillers or things added to it. We went to the sit down restaurant once for breakfast (instead of the buffet) Plan to wait to get a table and then about another 15 minutes before someone comes to take your order, also with the sit down lunch it seemed really slow. Again it was full capacity when we went so this may not always be an issue.

The beach overall isn’t great, they do have lots of palapas which is a plus, but the water for swimming isn’t great. Lots of plastic debris floating up in the water. Very similar to Secrets Capri if you’ve ever been there. The water is pretty though for a view, its just when you get in it, not very clear and like I said pieces of plastic garbage floating around. Yes there is seaweed, but I didn’t care about that, they clean it and it’s not bad. They only come around about once every 2 hours to take drink orders so plan on getting your own drinks. There is a bar not far from the beach. You can take walks on the beach here and walk past other resorts, which is nice. You won’t be off in the middle of nowhere.

The frozen mixed drinks all had that fake sugar taste that many AI resorts have. I don’t even know how to explain it, but there weren’t any drinks I ended up really liking because of it. It’s something in the mix. I did like the ice berg, which was corona with margarita on top. The beer tempered out the fake sugar taste. If you are a beer drinker or jack and coke kind’a person this won’t bother you. It’s just the fruity drinks.

I recommend requesting a room in Bldg 3 on a higher floor if you can get it.

Room Tip: building 3, higher floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have just spent two weeks at this resort (September 8th - 22nd) and it was a truly wonderful holiday. We upgraded to an Excellence Club Ocean View Swim Up Suite and it was definitely worth the money. The robes and slippers were soft and fluffy, the jacuzi baths huge, bathrooms huge and great showers. They were cleaned every day to a high standard and the daily fresh fruite and little cakes/chocolates were another lovely touch.

Our suite was 5 steps from the pool and 20 steps from the beach with its perfect white sand and warm blue water. We don’t understand the complaints of seaweed on the beach because it’s cleaned daily and was always pristine however it is a public beach and there were areas, (not attached to the Excellence), that needed a clean up. The service around the Excellence club pool was fantastic and I must mention Marianna who worked so hard and was such a sweet lovely girl, always on call to make sure that we had whatever we wanted and that we were having a good time. I loved the little touches around the pool where they bring around trays of 0’rderves for you to sample while sunning yourself and drinking your cocktail, (Sandals are you reading this).

There were plenty of loungers both around the pool and on the beach as well as beds/cabanas, (which you did not have to book or pay for Sandals please note), with waiter service to make sure that you were kept topped up with cocktails. They also built a new structure on the beach near the Excellence Club pool where they were cooking and serving food daily with a different country’s cuisine being featured.

We tried all the restaurants with the Grill and Spice being our favourites we were not that fussed on the Algarve but the staff in all the restaurants were absolutely lovely. We only had to wait for a table on two occasions and then only for half an hour or so which we happily spent in the Martini Bar where it was fun to watch the bar staff produce the most amazing concoctions in the blink of an eye. There was a storm one night which blew off part of the roof at the Lobster House and the Grill but this was sorted out fairly quickly, (they replaced the whole roof), and the Lobster House/Grill menus were put on in Toscana so no problem there. We had breakfast most mornings at Oregano because of the wonderful service and side splitting humour from Gustavo who made our day every day. Along with his co-worker Israel not only did he provide fantastic, efficient service and lovely touches such as decorating our table with little rose petals but Gustavo made us laugh out loud every day and really loved a bit of banter back and forth.

The evening entertainment was fabulous we saw the Michael Jackson show twice and were so impressed that the second time the show was different. Thriller/smooth criminal were in both shows but otherwise the show was changed so that you didn’t see the same thing the second week. The Madonna show was also very good, ditto Elvis and the circus show was impressive.

The grounds of this resort are beautiful and much larger than you first think. There are loads of pools so you can always find a busy or quiet pool depending on your preference and you can wonder around the pristine grounds where the paths wind around the edge of the resort. There are plenty of water activities if you want to exert yourself or several shops in the hotel if you don’t. Like most hotels the shops were a bit expensive, (a pack of Marlboro was 100 peso (£5) in the hotel and 24 – 32 peso in Puerto Morelos).

Our suite was absolutely huge and utterly fabulous. We had no problem getting the spirits we wanted for our in room bar and loved the fact that you got snickers, cookies, crisps, m & m’s etc every day, (again Sandals please note that it is so petty to charge for these items). We had no issues with the cleanliness of our suite and the lovely fluffy bathrobes and slippers where in good condition and replaced regularly, (again Sandals Grande St Lucian you need to replace your bathrobes which are a bit threadbare). The turn down service was great and every night you would have a lovely little mariachi figure so you ended up with your own little mariachi band to take home, again a really nice touch. Room service was great with an excellent selection of food available you could also order lunch at the pool etc if you are too tired to drag yourself to a restaurant.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and everyone was so cheerful and welcoming. We have been ortunate enough to stay at a couple of Sandals in Jamaica, (Royal Caribbean) and St Lucia, (Grand St Lucian), and while we had a wonderful time at both the Excellence beats them hands down in terms of entertainment, rooms, extra touches, service and restaurant choices and is a lot easier on the pocket in the current economic climate.

Fabulous Holiday

Room Tip: Ocean view swim up suite in block 7
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
york pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We got engaged at Excellence, we got married here, we celebrated the anniversary of our engagement here and were back again for the anniversary of our wedding here…Some things, the entertainment, the grounds, the food, the staff, the attention to detail, the smiles, the welcomes at the restaurants, the desire to give you the best service and vacation one could possibly want has stayed the same…EXCELLENT…
Some things have changed. There are more floats in the pools, more food choices on the beach during the day, more lights decorating the grounds at night, a finished fitness room, and seemingly more waiter service at the pools away from the main pool….the wait times at the restaurants, although never very long, seemed even less, usually 15 minutes or less…and even the time it takes for minor repair work such as a burned out light bulb was all but immediate….and on this occasion, my wife and I had the great pleasure of meeting with upper management, two Customer Relations Representatives, Natasha and Marianna, assistants to the general manager, and the General Manager, Jean Gerault. Each showed extreme interest in how Excellence and management were accomplishing the ultimate vacation experience and how their team could improve the experience….With very few small and minor suggestions from us, we let them know that in our history at the Excellence Resort, they have never let us down and the experience they provided was second to none….any review that does not put Excellence Resort at the top was written by someone who never took the time to let the management know what they didn’t like, as the management does their utmost and will literally bend over backwards to make your stay unforgettable…We have written at least three reviews in the last year for our stays at Excellence, and each personifies Excellence’s belief in customer service and pride in establishment….and this will not be the last time you’ll see our names on reviews for Excellence…

Room Tip: up close and personal to the action....buildings 6&7 quiet and secluded building 9
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!