First off I want to tell you that my wife and I consider ourselves to be seasoned travelers and have been to this particular part of Mexico three times now. We are down to earth with reasonable expectations.
- check in was smooth and painless, no surprises here. Yes you get champagne and cold towels here, but that's pretty standard for any 'five star' in the area.
- staff everywhere was friendly and willing to help. Only once during our entire stay did we order a drink and not get it. No big deal, it was a really busy night during one of their nightly shows.
- speaking of nightly shows, these were among the best I've seen at any resort. Some were a little boring but a few were really quite something, very Vegas-like!
- the grounds of the hotel were always kept spotless.
- plenty of pools to choose from with plenty of space around each of them.
- excellent choice of restaurants, food was average to excellent (for an all inclusive).
- drinks were plentiful, a large number of bars meant you didn't have to go far for a nice cold drink.
- the resort itself is a great size, not overly large and not too small either.
- room service, while only used once, was very prompt.
- mini bar was stocked every other day and included candy bars. We were even asked if we would like more of any particular items, a nice touch.
- once the maid saw that we had used the incense provided, more was promptly left for us.
- the adults only aspect of the resort was fantastic.
- the buffet on the beach was a nice touch and as usual the food was pretty good.
- we happened to be there for Superbowl Sunday and they really dressed the place up and had fun games and activities throughout the day while the game was being shown on the large screen in the theatre.
- after checking in we were told that our luggage would be brought to our room. We were not escorted to our room or given a tour of the resort. We waited in the room for 30 minutes (couldn't leave as we wanted to tip the bell boy). We then called and were told they were on their way up. Another 30 minutes passed before the bags finally arrived. It took us all of five minutes to walk from the lobby to our room, so I have no idea why it took them 60 minutes.
- the room is a good size with a nice little seating area by the window. I found the furniture to be quite dated though, and the bed was on the more uncomfortable size. As others have mentioned, the pillows are unusually small but you can certainly call and get more. Our bedspread had a stain on it and even though we requested it to be changed, it never was.
- from the moment we checked in to the time we checked out, there were ants in our room. They are quite small, but they were everywhere (not confined to bathroom as is the case for some reviewers). We also found them in the bed twice after waking up in the morning. We thought that being on an upper floor would reduce the risk of this problem but it didn’t' help.
- as many others have mentioned, the rooms do have a musty smell, though not sure I'd call it mold, more humid. It never really bothered us but I could see it being a problem for some.
- we specifically requested a room in a quiet block and were given one in section Spa 3 opposite the spa. The room was anything but quiet as there is some sort of access road behind this block and the adjacent blocks where loud trucks drove by very frequently. What I couldn't figure out was why so many trucks were using this road late at night when we were trying to sleep. This complaint was confirmed by many other people we spoke to during our trip.
- we chose to sit at the spa pool (lazy river) as this appeared to be the quietest spot in the resort. Thankfully it was, but at the same time you could easily hear the jack hammers working at the construction site next door all day long. Eventually you just
tuned it out, but it was still a drag. This isn't really a fault of ERC, just an annoyance that will hopefully be over in a few months.
- there were other minor inconveniences like our room not coming with a room service menu. When we asked for one it was brought up promptly, but only contained pages for breakfast and desert, no lunch or dinner items.
I also just wanted to mention that we're not really beach people (prefer the pool scene). If you're looking for pristine beaches with crystal clear water this isn't the place for you. The water is cloudy and there is seaweed all along this part of Mexico. Alternatively the pools were really quite fantastic, though very cold.
All in all we had a good time, but I would not call this resort 'excellent' or give it five stars. Would I go back, probably not as there's no shortage of nice hotels to visit in the area. We've been to enough resorts to know this was nothing out of the ordinary, just an average five star resort. Would I recommend this resort, absolutely, but I would be sure to mention the problems we encountered.
If you're deciding between this or Moon Palace, both my wife and I agreed that we would select Moon Palace over the ERC for a variety of reasons.
Finally, if you do decide to go to ERC, I would save your money and skip the Excellence club as the added amenities are really nothing too special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Excellence Group LLC, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos