“Excellence at Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
texas
“Excellence at Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed at Excellence Riviera back in September of 2008 for mine and my husband's honeymoonand, and Sept 2010 for our 3rd wedding anniversary. I am afraid that our experience at this resort has ruined us to other resorts anywhere we go. Nothing ever can nor ever will compare with Excellence.

Excellent. Between the 8 restaurants that do not require reservations and 24 hour room service, if you can't find something you like, then maybe your are officially the world's pickiest eater. We loved all of the restaurants so much that we could never decide on which one to go to in the evenings. So we began going to two of them per night! The fact that none of the restaurants require reservations is amazing. We could literally decide where we wanted to eat as we walked to the restaurant.

Drinks
All top shelf liquors that you can't get at most resorts without a surcharge. I was able to enjoy a grey goose or stoli martini every night before dinner without having to pay extra.

Grounds
Gorgeous and very well maintained! Absolutely beautiful.

Spa
The spa at excellence was AMAZING
! My husband and I had a couple's massage and the hydro-therapy circuit. The treatments were very relaxing and the spa building itself is so unique--I felt relaxed just entering.

This is what truly makes Excellence 5 star. Every single person you pass in a corridor or on the beach or by the pool stops and says hello and smiles. These people go out of their way to make sure your every wish is granted. Even while laying out in the hammock of our swimout room, I had a server who would check to make sure that there was nothing that I needed about every 45 mins to an hour. And once i ordered a drink, he would check back and ask if i needed another one before i had ever finished the first. Outstanding customer service.

Room
Just beautiful! The room was very cozy and comfortable. I loved ordering room service and eating in our sitting area or on our patio.

x-lounge
This was my favorite part of the entire experience. Open from 9-12am, this quite relaxing lounge is directly on the beach and caters to those vacationing to relax and find some piece and quiet.

Overall, Excellence did me in when I went on my honeymoon. Now that we have experienced 5 star luxury, there is no way I can go back. Everything about excellence is excellent and perfect. excellence feels like my home away from home!

Room Tip: if you can afford to splurge, Excellence club is worth the money. And if you are pool people, a swi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

6,800 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,785)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon. I enjoyed every aspect of it! OUr room was stunning, and the room service was amazing. All Inclusive really does mean All inclusive. Service and staff were faultless. The choice of restaurant was excellent and all the food was of a high quality. Pool are was lovely and has quiet spots tp get away from it all. All activities are well stated in a daily update, and Spa offers are great. Staff at the Spa are extremely helpful and friendly and the Spa from start to finish leaves you feeling amazing!! HIghly recommend it.
Only one thing i can think is that if you want to walk outside the hotel not much around. But the hotel provides, shop, food and vast amounts of activities. :-)

Room Tip: Any view from your room is lovely. Either of the inside grounds, or views of mexico.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Inconsistent service keeps me from ranking Excellence Rivera Cancun (ERC) as excellent. ERC is about 30 minutes from Cancun Airport using our pre-arranged transportation with the resort. Never never use a taxi and save time with direct no added stops of a bus. Walk directly from customs to the outside transportation area and look for the uniformed driver holding a sign with your last name (cool first vacation photo). Facilities are luxurious and constantly maintained. Junior Suite room was functional, clean, and just as pictured with great view of the ocean. Some services – check in/out, bellmen, and housekeeping (which can be requested on demand) were that of a five star hotel. Restaurants did not fare as well. As noted in other reviews - the variety of venues is great with quality presentations of generally flavorful food – in small portions on a large white plate with splashes of culinary color. Good but not filling. Some menus are limited - in some cases as few as eight entrée items. At least three had their own presentation of flounder. Getting the first cup of coffee and the refills at the Barcelona breakfast /lunch buffet restaurant became a game. It was easier when we didn’t move from table after seated until first pass . At Oregano Pizza and Pasta – portions were large and quality excellent but only one person was handling everything for the over ten tables by himself. And learn which bar tenders are doing your mix. With no measuring pouring tips in place at most locations – the blends varied GREATLY but mainly toward the weak end. I still highly recommend this adult only resort just remember to bring plenty of sunscreen. Common US brand spray at the gift shop was $39 US – about double that of the Cancun airport.

Room Tip: Junior Suite room on upper floor allows better view without the higher cost of the "Excellence...
Waynesboro, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at ERC over the July 4th holiday week and this was our 9th stay at this fantastic resort. This trip was to celebrate Cheryl’s 50th birthday and wow ERC pulled out all the stops and provided us with our room decorated upon arrival and a special dinner and desert. We requested and were placed in our favorite room and were treated with champagne and very beautiful flower arrangement. From the time you walk through the large wooden doors and are given the cold towels and champagne until you leave there is nothing this resort will not do for you. Excellence Riviera always provides us with a care free, very relaxing vacation and we never have to worry about anything, and we have never be told no to any of our requests, which is simply amazing. The sheer quality and amount of food on the breakfast and lunch buffets is amazing and the evening meals were really good. The new beach restaurant is very nice and gives you another option to going inside to eat for lunch and has a different theme everyday. We also love the numerous evening bars that are open, each with a different atmosphere and setting. Being it was the 4th of July, they had an all day party that day that concluded with fireworks on the beach. The Excellence Club, Pool and Beach Concierges, Bar and Beach staff take care of everything and constantly ask and make sure if there is anything they can do for you or help you in any way. We wanted to thank entire staff and all the Excellence Riviera Cancun employees for once again providing us with another great vacation, you treat us so well, and make each and every trip so special and memorable and this is why we return again and again.

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My Husband and I have just returned from ERC this was our 6th trip there in as many years. We were there from July3-July 12. There have been some changes since our visit last year, starting with the management, there are new faces everywhere, most are very nice especillay Mariana Montes(the new guest services manager)she had only been there a few days when we arrived but she was trying so hard to make sure that everyone was happy, we didn't meet nor did we see the new GM, last year we saw the management team walking around to all of the pools and beach talking to everyone everyday, this year we didn't see that.Also ther are changes to the menu's at the Grill,the Lobster House, and Agave, the Grill and the Lobster house have the same menu for lunch, we didn't care for it, they have removed many of the items that we really enjoyed in the past and the salad bar is a joke,last year we ate there everyday for lunch this year we went once in 9 days but there are many choices for lunch the buffet was great for breakfast and lunch they had a great selection everything you could think of, and everything was very fresh and good, there is also a beach bbq everyday with a different theme, and Oregano for the best pizza and calzones!!!Agave has also removed a few items from the menu but you will never go hungry at ERC there are so many places to eat and the food is really good. We ordered room service everynight(coffee and pastry) for the next morning and it always arrived right on time. We still think that Chez Isabelle is the best we ate there 3 times including 1 private dinner in the wine cellar,the food and the service was wonderful, The Grill is good for dinner we ate there twice, I didn't care for the ribeye but the filet was good, we ate at the Lobster House once, I ordered from the grill menu(I don't eat fish) my husband loved his lobster said it was much better than last year, we ate at Agave once and it was very good.We never had to wait for a table we ate between 7:30-8:00 service was good everywhere.The Martini Bar is still a great place to have a drink before dinner(try the mouselight it's like a chocolate shake with alcohol) they do serve top shelve if you ask for it, and the drinks are not watered down.We did see alot more people tipping which was really nice because everybody works so hard! The rooms are ok but the beds and pillows meed inprovment!!Housekeeping was good and the mini bar was restocked daily. The grounds and pool remained well maintained and very clean. We did see alot of float hoarders people would actually take them to there rooms at night even in the club, we always take our own and give them away when we leave alot eaiser than running arounf trying to find one.If you want a chair by the main pool be downstairs before 7am to put a towel down to reserve your spot, but there are plenty of open chairs and palupas at the beach and at the other pools.We would like to say a very special thankyou to Ana Montesdeoca who went out of her way once again to make our trip very special!!!!There were so many others including: Romone, Antonio,Pableo,The Chef at Chez Isabelle, Carla,Emmy,and Adain at the club pool, Mosis,Joel, and Raul at the club bar and so many others whos names I can't remember. Like always we made so many new friends from around the world, and even with all the changes we still look forward to trip #7

kent UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Yes third time visitors here yes its still excellente... However we do suggest you pay extra for a Excellance Club Swim out Suite , as you can choose your in room bar , have a good spot daily to sun bathe and a very quick concierge service to name a few of the benefits and any problems you may have are resolved within an hour if not sooner.
Generally you cannot fault the service, however even the recession hit mexico and it was noticed by not only us as returning guests but others, they did not have as many staff as previous years, therefore you had to wait sometimes up to 2 hours for a table for dinner and the bars had less staff so getting a drink at times was a long drawn out experience, which is a great pity.
The Restaurant food is by far very good as is room service.

Moses at the excellente club bar is a treasure if you go say hi from Denise in the UK :) have an electric lemonade its divine :)
So many positives for us but little things let it not shine so bright as it once did , like general maintenance of the rooms bad shower fitting, dirty hammock in the swim out no four posters 8058 what happened to that :( and no fancy towel display on the bed when we arrived .
Ok call me picky but if you pay £4000 for a holiday of less than 13 days you expect certain standards these seem to of gone( possibly staff shortages ?) but i am sure if i mentioned it i could of had the hamock cleaned, shower fixed even moved rooms lol ...any way they still do go the extra mile and a half they gave me tonic in the fridge for my gin , Hubby got a bottle of red daily, the Excellance club management went above and beyond to keep us happy... would we go back again ............probably yes

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

As our 25th anniversary was coming, I decided to plan something 'more'. More than just a cruise. More than just an all-inclusive. After some research, I landed on ERC. My wife didn't do much reading before - just trusted me. We booked through CheapCaribbean and got the transfers, etc. Nice to have a one-stop shop. Anyway, once through the "let me help you" of the Cancun airport, we got to our shuttle. As we were driving, we were talking with the 3 other couples in the shuttle (all 1-5 years married - guess we were the 'old dogs') ... and as we pulled up to ERC two of the women said "this is where I really wanted to stay".
We were met by a pith-helmet wearing bellhop, handed a towel to cool off and immediately handed champagne. My wife looked at me, smiled, and said "oh, I think this will work".
We were escorted to the Excellence Club reception where we checked in, and signed up for our Anniversary Dinner on the beach. Within an hour, our room was ready! We had an Excellence Club Swim Up Suite. LOVED IT. However, we didn't take full advantage of the swim-up, so next time, Excellence Club yes, swim up no.
Service: Excellent. From check-in to checkout there were always smiling faces there to help
Food: Very Good. not spectacular, but then, for a resort, I'd say very very good. We really enjoyed the French and Asian restaurants the most. Room service was always pretty quick and always right, Different lunch buffets on the beach every day. And daily, grab a coconut!
Drinks: we had great bottles in our room - but overall, the drinks were plentiful and frequent
Entertainment: So-so, the Michael Jackson and Madonna were the best, but again, hey, you're on PlayaTime and on vacation, so bfd! just go and enjoy
The grounds: Beautiful and very well maintained!
The Room: WOW! Big shower, hot tub inside and outside.. AC always worked... Sparkling clean.
Will i return? Yup, planning to go same time next year as soon as the dates open!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!