“A Honeymoon Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Special Price
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Wilson, No
“A Honeymoon Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My fiance' and I had initially booked a different resort for our honeymoon, but due to a sudden medical issue had to cancel this reservation. Subsequently, we re-booked and were led to the Excellence Riviera at Cancun. Wow! My wife and I arrived and found the resort to be absolutely beautiful!! We were greeted warmly and courteously by the bellman out front. While he took care of our luggage, we walked through the self-opening beautifully-carved wooden front doors and were immediately greeted with a smile, a glass of champagne and a cool wash cloth. We arrived about an hour before their check in time of 3:00; however, I asked if the room was ready so we could check in and the gentleman at the front desk (Edgar) told me that it was not. He said he would see what he could do and a few minutes later informed us that the room was in fact ready. We checked in and found our luggage waiting for us in the room. Because it was our honeymoon, there was a banner across the room door indicating this was a honeymoon room. There were rose petals on the bed and towels rolled into two swans kissing and holding a beautiful red rose between them. A bottle of iced champagne and fruit bowl were waiting for us as well as a fully stocked bar and refrigerator. We had requested an ocean view room, but were not promised that we would get it. Well, we did and the view of the resort and the ocean from our balcony was breathtaking. The room had marble floors and was immaculate in its design and cleanliness. That night my wife and I had a wonderfully romantic dinner on the beach (for an additional cost, but worth it to us since it was, after all, our honeymoon). The food was impeccable in its presentation and taste. The waiters were extremely polite, friendly and as responsive as anyone could possibly expect or imagine. We were serenaded by a very talented gentleman named Gabriel who played the harp for us. The ocean breeze, music, food and the full moon made this dinner absolutely enchanting and surreal.
The next day my wife and I took advantage of the spa that is on site (also for an additional charge). We were pampered with an hour of hydrotherapy and an 80 minute couples massage.
There are eight restaurants in this resort. Unfortunately, we were not able to dine in every one of them; however, the food in those in which we dined was fabulous. The service was perfect to go along with the meals. The bartenders were also polite and responsive.
Each night there was a different show and buffett available. The central area just outside of the open theater was decorated beautifully for July 4th with white table cloths and red and blue accents. There was a fire show and fireworks display. They even played the Star Spangled Banner!!
I could go on and on about this resort and how pleased my wife and I were about being there. We cannot say enough nice things about the staff and the surroundings. If there is a negative to this paradise, it would be the beach. There was a lot of seaweed/grass at the water's edge and the water had a lot of sea grass floating around. The water also seemed to have a lot of sand floating around in it as well. Needless to say, we did not spend much time in the water, but enjoyed laying out on the beach nonetheless.
We would be completely remiss if we did not mention the standouts to us at Excellence Riviera. First, there is Isabel, one of the Concierges. She epitomizes customer service and friendliness. She was always friendly, responsive, informative, polite and went "above and beyond" a couple of times to help us. We feel we have made a friend in her. Next would be Edgar at the front desk. He was very professional, courteous and helpful whenever we approached the desk. Last, but certainly not least, is Paco at the Olympus Tours desk. Again, we feel we made another friend. He was very friendly, informative and courteous in helping us select the tours/excursions we wanted to do. Whenever we were in the lobby area, we spoke to these people and were greeted warmly each time.
After seven days here, we were reluctant to leave. We have already begun plans to return to Excellence Riviera next year for another stay.
I notice some other reviews seem not so favorable. I guess anyone can have an off day; however, from our experience, this was a well run resort with professional staff who presented themselves in such a way as to indicate they were sincerely interested in making our stay pleasurable. Even groundskeepers and housekeeping staff always greeted us with an "Hola" whenever we passed them on the grounds.
From our experience, we highly recommend this adults only resort for any couple wanting a romantic getaway. The pampering you will receive will make it difficult to leave.
The attached picture was a gag pic taken just before we left the resort. The bellmen, Adrian & Jose' Reyes, were great sports and got as much fun out of making this photo as we did.

Doug & Martha H.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,921)
Parsippany, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is located just 20 minutes from Cancun Airport (and 35 from Playa Del Carmen). Upon arrival we were met with cocktails and cold towels, the checkin in process was smooth but a little delayed. The good news is that like msot other hotels of its kind, they will hold your bags and allow you start using the facilities.
The food at the buffet was very good, much better than typical all inclusives. Dinner in the steakhouse was excellent and the portions well sized. The food was very good quality.
If you're a pool person this hotel is a great choice as there are several large free-form pools and one even functions as a lazy river...you can just drift all day.
Beach was large and soft. There was quite a bit of seaweed, and actually some trash in the water. I'll attribute this to some storms that were out at sea when I was there. It doesnt look like this is the norm. *NOTE: the hotel is sandwiched between two family hotels, so the beach will have kids and families crossing it, but they generally dont make much of a disruption.
While we were there, it rained for 2 of the 4 days and the hotel did a great job trying to provide things to do to keep people entertained. Kudos to the hotel for the effort.

Overall, this is a good pick, and worth the stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Definately NOT a 5 star resort. Within two hours, we were sorry we didn't stay at Secrets Maroma. Don't bother asking for anything, their answer is always going to be NO. We were there for ten days and they never once cleaned any of the pools. We were on the third floor and the elevators were all out of service. In fact, almost all the elevators were inop. The mini bar in the room was gin, Jim Beam, and some nasty red wine. I asked to replace the alcohol with a bottle of Crown, they said no. My wife recently had double knee surgery, and we asked for a room closer to the beach and on lower level or in a building with a sevicable elevator, again the answer was no, unless we wanted to pay $60.00 more per night or an additional $600.00 above the $5000.00 we already paid. The hotel needs alot of repairs which they do not seem to be too concerned. On a positive note, the food was very good and the wait staff were the only excellent part of Excellence.

• Stayed July 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I took a short honeymoon holiday here at Excellence. We had read and heard really great things about this resort so we booked without hesitation. The months before our trip I scanned TA on an almost daily basis, and after reading such rave reviews, I think my expectations may have been too high. The high points of our trip include the staff, who are just wonderful. They speak fairly good English and no request is too much trouble. I need to mention Henrri (sp) in Oregano. He was the first waiter we encountered during our stay and it was such a pleasure to see him during lunch and breakfast every day. His smile really made our day, every day. The other high point would have to be the food. It is definitely superb to other all-inclusives we have visited. The atmosphere of the restaurants was intimate and contemporary. Our favorite was the Lobster House (grilled lobster was delicious) and Chez Isabelle (we enjoyed 2 bottles of wine and 4 courses; what’s not to love?). Spice was also up there with our favorites. The Martini Bar is also a fun place to hang at any time during the day and try some new cocktails. The Steak House was so-so, but we are steak snobs, so take that with a grain of salt. The entertainment was actually pretty good. We really enjoyed the cirque show, and a Queen Tribute band. Lastly, the spa. Oh, my goodness. We did the 80 minute couples massage, which was preceded by an invigorating hydrotherapy circuit. We had never experienced anything like that before. For around $110/pp it was really more than worth it.

Now, to the lower points: I feel if it were not for these minor issues, our stay would have been perfect. There was some confusion at many of the bars between vodka and tequila. If we sat there and watched our bartender pour the drink, we got what we ordered. However, if we ordered from a waiter near the plaza, the pool, or at a restaurant, we were served tequila. Even after we sent the drinks back, the replacements still tasted like tequila. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Tequila is not the favorite for us, so we compromised and resorted to beer and wine. Next was the room. Upon arrival we upgraded our room to a swim-up suite. It was nice to be near the pool and on the ground level; however, being on the ground level, we had to bear the stench of the flora/fertilizer, and deal with bugs. The unpleasant odor made it less than comfortable to enjoy the hammock and loungers on our lawn (which was the entire point of the upgrade, amiright?). We learned on the first night, not to leave any food or beverage out and not to leave any clothes or such on the floor. They looked like tiny little ants. I found some in our bed and both my husband and I had tiny bites all over. I’m not sure there is anything the resort can do about this, but I think staying on higher ground would have eliminated that problem for us. Housekeeping also seemed to be hit or miss. The first couple days they brought in fresh fruit and champagne, and then it stopped. One day we were given 2 shoe sponges and no shower cap. The second day, our linens weren’t changed, and somehow the housekeeping management noticed before we did. They came to our door and let us know the bed wasn’t made to their standards, it would be corrected, and they would leave something special in our room in the evening. When we returned that night, nothing had changed. Lastly, we were very disappointed by the beach at this resort. The chairs and palapas were so close together and they crowded the beach. If I wanted to sit by a pool in hot sun, I could have gone anywhere in the States. I have read other TA reviews of dissatisfaction regarding the beach; I would hope management would take those opinions into consideration and take action.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. In the future, I would probably not return to this particular resort, but would be eager to visit another Excellence location.

Room Tip: Rooms near the spa have a more serene, relaxing atmosphere.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have just returned from a 7 day/6 night stay at ERC. I went on a Mother/Daughter trip with my mother for her birthday, and we had a great time. the service was hands down amazing... i mentioned at the time of booking that we were coming for her birthday... and to our surprise on Friday (her birthday) when we arrived back at the room at 4pm ... it was decorated with balloons and streamers and a piece of birthday cake was delivered. Truly made her feel special. We arrived on the 4th of July and to our surprise there was a 4th of July themed party in the plaza decorated in red white and blue. as well as a great cover band and then after the fire show we were all surprised with FIREWORKS. Superb indeed.

Likes: Food, Service, Rooms, plaza outdoor themed parties, shows
Dislikes: water with seaweed, scarce towels at the pool, no dancing really, most entertainment ends around 11

Over all we LOVED our time at the hotel... i will review all the good and the few things i wish were different.

The Service & Food:
the food was amazing and very good. Not sure how people can complain that its not "5 star worthy". you are in a foreign country not in NYC sitting at a 5 star hotel so you cant expect that. But the breakfast buffet at Barcelona was splendid. anything you could wish was there... fresh omelets, french toast, eggs, pancakes or crepes were made to order and the buffet contained many other options and a great fruit & cheese displays. We ate here every morning and a few times at lunch as well. Antonio was our waiter almost everyday and he was so attentive to our needs. A few days we ate lunch at the beach lunch bbq/buffet here the food was hit or miss but its hard to keep good food outside on the beach. Every restaurant had the food with temperature monitoring and all the servers wore hair nets making it very clean. Our favorite was the lobster house. we had grilled lobster tails and they were delicious. they are small so if you like a bigger portion order 2 tails at once. The french was nice as well. Our favorite night was the Friday Fiesta. they turn the plaza into a Mexican fiesta with all sorts of amazing foods as well as a mariachi band. on our last night (a monday) we enjoyed the 1001 nights themed party. the food was arabic/indian themed and i am usually not a fan of this cuisine but i tried it since its free and was surprised as to how good it was. My suggestion is attend all themed parties, they go above and beyond to decorate and make amazing food for it with entertainment. And throughout every waiter/waitress was beyond nice and accommodating. A tip also is that daily at 12:30 pm on the beach they bring fresh coconuts for either coco loco drinks or simply a refreshing coconut with the refreshing coconut water inside. line up at 1230 because they only bring a certain amount and when they run out... that's it for the day

The Rooms: gorgeous and spacious. we stayed in building 4 facing the spa, standard room. Was clean, house keeping came in the morning to make the beds and bring fresh towels, afternoon the mini bar service came to refill what was used daily, then in the evening a turn-down service and fresh towels again. we used the safe for our valuables and had no problems. also there is a secondary lock on the door which is nice, makes you feel safe. Only thing is the Beds truly are very hard.

The Hotel & Grounds: all are kept gorgeously, people are constantly walking around cleaning, and gardening and making sure all is in tip top shape. Check in was a bit long as our room wasnt ready until 4pm.... we got a pager and sat at the beach and got paged once it was set.

The Beach & Pools: The beach is kept very clean, we never had trouble with finding a palapa on the beach (and the hotel was 90% occupied the first few days) we went down each morning around 9/930 and got our chairs and palapa before breakfast. they have a tractor that combs the beach to try and clean up the seaweed/ seagrass that gets deposited. But my only dislike of this hotel was the water. If you are ocean people like us this truly is a damper... the water is full of seagrass... making it feel dirty and NOT crystal clear. we managed still to get in and try ot enjoy but it was rather annoying.. that's just our opinion and it didn't stop us from enjoying the hotel and trip. The pools are huge and there is a lazy river. They have a few floaters BUT they are very scarce as people hog them for days. so bring your own floater... saw plenty of people that did that. Another issue the first few days when it was 90% full was that towels often ran out midday as people i saw were taking 6 at a time.. we took 4 for the two of us. but they continuously are picking them up to was and bring out more. I would suggest more towel locations by the pools. Seats by the pool were harder to come by. but this too was because some leave there towels early morning then dont return... So rude. so we just asked people if someone had been sitting there and most would say haven't seen anyone yet today, so we sat there (afternoon usually after beach)

Entertainment: they really do put on amazing shows at night. the costumes are great and the dancing is spot on especially the Michael Jackson show. We watched the show each night and were truly pleased. Suggestion: sit up top not in the pit... there is a better breeze at night as you watch the show. The bands the had each night were very good as well. Just missed having more Mexican/Latin music that you could dance too. A lot of the music was American songs... we enjoy a little Latin music like salsa.. so that we missed. And all the entertainment ends at 11pm.. your only options is at Allegra bar for either a band or a dj but that really wasn't anything we wanted to partake in.

SPA: you get daily specials each night in your room for the next day, so i suggest you wait to see what they are. I had a 50 min excellence massage and it was amazing. then i took advantage of the free hour hydrotherapy session and walked out refreshed and relaxed.

Overall we had a great and relaxing Mother/Daughter trip. Mostly people there were on honeymoons or anniversary trips as its ADULTS only... so great!. the service food and experience is great, the beach is clean just the water is a bit seaweed filled... as is most of the area there. Go and enjoy a wonderful trip, its worth it! The service is truly Excellent

Room Tip: Rooms by the spa are lovely and quiet, the main pool gets rowdy by the bar, Go to the restaurants ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Longview, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I booked a 4-day 3 night mini vacation with a group of 5 other couples. After arriving early the first day, we were greeted with champagne and led to the Excellence Club to check in and get our rooms. It was at this time we were told that not only were on rooms not ready (understandable it was before the 3 pm check-in) but all of our rooms had two queen size beds and there were no king size rooms available although these were the type of rooms we reserved and paid for. The staff was not very helpful when we complained and made no effort to explain why we were not getting the rooms we had reserved. In order to get a king size bed my husband and I decided to upgrade our room to a room that included a terrace, it was at this time we were given a pager and told we would be paired when our room was ready. Around 5 pm we returned to the Excellence Club to find out why we had not been paged yet, and were told that our room was still not ready! The staff could not explain why our room wasn't ready yet and made no effort at soothing or escalating frustration and hostility! We could not get into our room until 6 pm! From that point forward the service continued to be terrible! We ordered room service that night and it took over an hour to receive it! And the food once we got it was terrible! Over the course of the weekend, regardless of where we ordered food, poolside, beachside, or at a restaurant, the service was terrible, food took over an hour to get to us, and once it did reach us tasted and looked as if it had been sitting out all day. When we would order room service our plates would sit the next day until we actually asked the cleaning crew to take them away!! Our half full champagne bottle sat in a bucket of water all weekend and was never cleaned, replenished, or thrown away. I would not recommend this place unless you like crappy food and service! The only positive thing I can say about the resort was the cleanliness and the beautiful rooms and resort grounds.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had heard that a lot of the management had quit in the two weeks before our arrival and it showed. I know how difficult this type of transition can be, as I work in the hotel industry. It is definitely possible that i'm biased as I am a chef at a Forbes rated 5 star hotel. However, the issues that we encountered could have been easily addressed. The rules of the hotel need to be enforced. There were loungers reserved all day that no one used, there were people taking plates of food into the pool (yuck), and people hoarding floaties...to the point were I saw them on balconies! Here is my breakdown...

Concierge/Service - The employees were very nice and always smiled

Maid service - Too sporadic. Some times we were woken up at 7 am for maid service, and other time we would return to our room at 4pm and it hadn't been cleaned yet.

Pool - Under maintained. Tiles missing. Filters were full of debree and not once saw someone emptying them. Water level , also too low, was about three inches below filter level. There was a constant layer of debree on the surface. When an employee did skim the top, he never spent much time doing it. I even saw Iguana poop floating by. The best thing about the pool was the pool side server. A lovely lady named Margarita who dispite the heat always took care of us and always smiled. There were definitely not enough floaties. We ended up walking into Puerto Morelos and buying our own. Several people asked us where we got them and soon followed suit.

Beach - A lot of sea weed.

Bars - Most gave great service. However the service at the Martini bar wasn't great. They were often rude and it was hard to get service. Once a manger told a bartender 5 times to serve us and we were still ignored. The drinks were good. Most of our drinks were served in plastic glassed that were very corroded and scratched.

Room - Was very nice although the mini fridge could have been colder.

Food (room service included) - Mediocre. Again...i'm a chef/culinary instructor, so I am picky. There were basic mistakes made. Mainly ingredients missing. No ham on my benedict, no bacon on either the bacon cheeseburger/club sandwich, tapanade was missing from the procuitto sandwich, asked for chili flakes at Oregano and never got them, and finally asked for cream for my coffee at the Barcelona breakfast buffet several times. When I finally got it...it was milk. The lobster at the lobster house was over cooked. Was served the wrong salad at the grill house. Barcelona/Agave made me literally sick to my stomach....thank god I packed Imodium. At Chez Isabelle the food tasted good, however some of the classical french preparations were incorrect. Oregano was good...however my lamb "osso bucco (traditionally veal)" was tough. Loved Spice! It was the only restaurant where the cooking applications were correct and the food tasted like it was supposed to.

Entertainment - We were really impressed.

I've had similar experiences at resorts that are significantly cheaper than this one. All these issues were a result of poor management which leads to poor employee morale. Also heard through the grapvine that many are seeking new jobs. We saved a long time for this vacation and are sad to say that we won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!