“Excellent Stay at Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% Off Room Rate
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent Stay at Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed at Excellence from November 15-22nd. I would say that of all the all- inclusives that we have stayed in Mexico(including Royal Hideaway) and elsewhere, including Jamaica, this is the best.(Also stayed at Excellence Punta Cana, which we loved, and this was even better!) The resort is beautiful, well maintained, the room(ours was on the third floor in building 6) was large, quiet, well decorated, well maintained and cleaned during the day and again at turndown in the evening. The chambermaids really work hard and do a great job. We enjoyed all of the restaurants, and as New Yorkers, we can say that they are certainly competitive with good New York restaurants in both food quality, service and in ambiance, particulary the Indian( as a fan of Indian food, this was among the best Indian we ever had, even met the chef!)), Mexican, Asian French, and the Grill. Instead of buffet breakfast and lunch, we rather not have buffets, so we had wonderful breakfasts and lunch served to us at the Lobster House and the Grill. There is a wait for dinner if you go after 7:00PM-best time- 6:30, which gives you time for relaxing and for the show. Also, if you want the Habatchi in the Asian restaurant, get there a little before 6:00 to reserve. The beach bbq's were also great, with live music on 4 of the 7 days. The entertainment each evening was good, with dance music both before and after the shows. We can't say enough about the staff- every staff person that passes you anywhere on the property greets you. Special mention to Rosalia, the Guest Manager, who made every effort to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The drinks and bar service were exceptional, and the lazy river pools going around the property a real delight, particulary if you want an alternative to the main pool area, which is lively near the swim-up bar.. The beach was beautiful, plenty of shade and chairs, good drink service on the beach, but the seaweed is an issue. Also, the water is not clear, with lots of churned-up sand, but am unsure if this was related to the season. Went back and forth between the beach and the pool. Had breakfast room service one day, it was a full breakfast and delivered in about 30 minutes- excellent. We didn't take any of the off-site excursions, since we just wanted an in-resort relaxing week. From the pre-arranged private pick-up at the airport to the return, we can tell you that this was the best week we ever spent at a resort, a truly excellent experience that I would recommend to all- there is something here for everyone! ,

Room Tip: Quiter rooms are in building 5 and 6.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,307)
Waynesboro, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun from November 19 to 26, and this was our 7th stay at ERC, and it just keeps getting better. You are treated so good from the time you walk through the large wooden doors and are given the Cold Towel and Champagne until you leave. We had requested our favorite Excellence Club room which we have had on every trip and we very pleased that we were placed in that room with some special champagne and an incredibly beautiful and large flower arrangement. Rosalia and the Club Concierges always made sure that everything we needed was taken care of promptly. All of our meals were very good, food cooked to perfection, and the variety of food is exceptional, especially for the breakfast and lunch buffets, and there is literally something for everyone. We really like the new Basmati restaurant but it needs to be open more evenings. One thing we really liked on this trip is the new Beach BBQ area, and that each day they provide a different selection of food, this is a very nice touch and nice improvement to just going to the buffet everyday. We do realize this is a lot of work required to set all this up each and every day. The bands that played during the BBQ lunches and in the evening at the plaza were really good, many of them are new to ERC even since our last visit in July, but all were very good, and of course the Michael Jackson show is exceptionally good. We cannot say enough good things about the Club, Pool and Beach Concierge service, they take of everything and constantly ask and make sure if there is anything they can do for you or help you in any way. The overall cleanliness and beauty of the resort is impressive, it is always spotless, everywhere you go, including the grounds, flower beds, and even the restrooms. Excellence always provides us with a care free, very relaxing vacation and we never have to worry about anything, and we have never be told no to any of our requests, which is simply amazing. We do not want to just single out a couple employees, as they are the real reason we continue to return to ERC, they treat us so well, and make each and every trip so special and memorable. We want to thank Jordi, Matias, Rosalia, the entire ERC staff and all the employees for once again providing us with another great vacation at Excellence Riviera Cancun. Muy Excellente and muchas gracias to everyone at ERC.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

We had our wedding at Excellence Riv Cancun and it was fantastic. We had a discovery trip about a year in advance, and of the following hotels: Secrets Capri, Dreams Tulum, one of the Riu's in Playa Del Carmen, and Excellence Riviera Cancun, decided upon Excellence.

Our main points for decision were the following: (1) the attention of the wedding coordinator, (2) the attention of the wedding coordinator, (3) the attention of the wedding coordinator. Really, our wedding team (Ramon and Co) were .. wait for it ... wait for it ... wait for it ... AWEEESOME.

First of all, we spent about 2 hours at Excellence during our discovery trip. We checked out everything: (1) rooms of two classes (regular and Club), (2) all possible locations for the ceremony, happy hour, and party, different plan-B options, locations of pools, bars, and of course, the different packages.

We decided on Excellence on the basis of the following: (1) the attention to detail of the wedding team, (2) flexibility (e.g., we can hold a private party at the outdoor restaurant (I think called the Lobster house), which is somewhat private, and also appropriate in case of rain, (3) the possible venues for ceremony, even in case of rain.

Let me just say that every detail about the wedding went fantastic. On Wed, we had an informal get-together for all guests that had arrived. On Thu night, we had a formal welcome dinner, and they sectioned off part of the main restaurant just for us. On Fri, we had the wedding around 5 pm on the beach, then cocktail hour by the left courtyard with the metail statues with Mariachi band and all that, and then dinner in the Lobster house restaurant. Everything went great (my wife can talk about the details, if you want).

But let me also comment that we stayed there for 8 days, and got to enjoy quite a bit of the hotel even before our guests arrived. So in this order:

FOOD

I think food was fantastic at this resort. Of about 5 all-inclusives I have stayed in Cancun / Riv Maya, I think food was the best. I enjoyed the freshness of the food, the variety of available options during breakfast / lunch buffets. Wife likes lobster and she liked her lobster dinner on one or two occasions.

Overall: 4.5

ROOMS

Between myself and wife, we stayed in about 3 or 4 rooms. First, after staying in farther section for about 2 days, we changed our room to get closer to the lobby area, because we had guests to entertain and frequent trips to lobby area / wedding coordinator room.

Also, I got a separate room the night before wedding. Also, we upgraded to Club level starting the day of the wedding. So all in all, we got to see 3 or 4 rooms total.

I think overall, the rooms were great, about what you would expect from Riv Maya hotels. I would say that top cancun hotels, e.g., Le Blanc and Sun Palace have slightly more modern rooms.

My only advice would be not to stay on 1st floor rooms. Chances of getting bit my mosquitos on the first floor is probably 300% more. This is true of Riv Maya and New Jersey. Due to ample vegetation and water, the first floor is prime place for mosquitos to thrive and multiply.

Score: 4.5

SERVICE

Due to the wedding function, my primary point of service was the wedding team. The wedding team went above and beyond our expectation. There were on point on every detail: flowers, decorations, timing, planning. For reference, we bought their best package, which was at the time $3000, and that was it.

Also, we enjoyed the special couples quiet area bar (forgot the name) right before the beach on a couple of occasions. One of my grooms-men tipped the bar-tender and we got some nice drinks and music by the beach. Also, rumors were that we got some cigars and some pool-side music into the wee hours of the night, but then again, these were rumors, so I can neither confirm nor deny them.

Score: 5

ENTERTAINMENT

What was most memorable from the entertainment was the live band on Monday or Tuesday night. It was just awesomely fantastic. They had great music (some good salsa and pop-rock, and the salsa was not junk salsa), and there were about a few dozen people outside, having a good time.

Our guests got to see some of the other shows, but due to us being busy with guests and all, we did not see any other shows (I heard there was a Michael Jackson show). Hopefully, some of the other reviewers can tip you off about other shows.

Also, on one of the days we were there some social group had a party. It was a white party. Us and a couple of our guests were already there, so we just hang around the lobby / immediate outside area of the lobby. It was a good fun time.

A lot of our guests enjoyed the services of the entertainment team, playing pool volleyball.

SPA

Well, I don't like the massage / menicure / pedicure aspects of the spa, but I really enjoyed their hydrotherapy. Once I discovered that I don't need a massage appointment to use the hydrotherapy, I was there pretty much there every day. Thanks to the wife's massages, I used the different water treatment on a couple of occasions, and it was great.

Score: 5

Overall: 5

Of the resorts I have been to in Riv Maya / Cancun, I would rate this in the same category as Le Blanc (the remaining being Dreams Pt Aventuras, Sun Palace, Moon Palace). Although not having stayed a night, but having spent at least half a day or a meal or two, I would also rate Excellence Riv Cancun better than the following: Secrets Capri, Dreams Tulum, Cancun Palace, Beach Palace.

Room Tip: Stay close to the lobby area if you don't walk walk much. Or stay far if you prefer to walk and...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

We have just returned from this hotel having been several times before. It is just about perfect for a beach/pool holiday. The selection of restaurants is wide enough to cater for everyone's taste. The food is the best hotel food we've had anywhere. Lunch in the Barcelona restaurant is an absolute feast. The grill and spice restaurants at night are brilliant. There are several bars that will provide you with virtually any drink you desire. There are daytime and night time entertainment programmes with lots of high quality live music from a variety of genres. The thing that makes this hotel stand out from all the others is the attitude of the staff. From the General manager to the bar staff everybody is helpfully and friendly and will go out of their way to ensure you have everything you want

Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Let me start by saying this was my first experience with an all-inclusive hotel and my first trip to the Mayan Riviera. I did quite a bit of research prior to our trip and we decided on ERC given the great reviews on TA. We also wanted to be south of Cancun and it seemed like ERC was one of the highest rated properties in the Mayan Riviera.

Slow service: Our host accompanied us to our room and was very friendly and helpful but we asked for an network cord for the internet and said he would be back in a few minutes with the cord. An hour and half later we finally received the cord. By this time, it was too late for us to skype with our children (no wireless network in the rooms) so a bit disappointed with the slow service. We had called 2 or 3 times to the front desk and each time they said he was on his way and would be there in a few minutes. The other issue we had was after an okay dinner at the Italian restaurant, we wanted to head back to our room for some fun and our key card wouldn't work. We saw a maid so she tried her card but couldn't get in either. She called someone so we waited for about 5 minutes but no one showed up so I went to the front desk and told them of the problem. They tested the key and said it should work but reprogrammed it anyway and asked me to try it. I was expecting by this time (20 minutes later) that someone would have already arrived back at our room and let my wife in but there she was sitting on the ground still waiting. A few minutes later someone finally showed up and took apart the door and discovered the key reader was broken and had to replace the batteries. Anyway, let's just say by this time, we both were really frustrated and had lost out on a romantic evening in our room. Kind of an unfortunate event and I understand this could happen at any resort but the time it took for them to get someone there to fix the problem was extremely slow.

Our room: it was spacious and decorated very well. We had a large bathtub and a separate shower, plus a sitting area and a nice balcony that looked over one of the many pools. The room had a decent flatscreen TV, well stocked mini-fridge, and nice amenities. We did have an issue the first night with a water leak but it was fixed the following morning. I had woken in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and nearly slipped on the marble floor because of a puddle of water. Water had been leaking from the A/C vent. It could have been a lot worse as the floors are extremely slippery when wet and this was quite a large puddle of water. Again, the maintenance person fixed the leak the next morning and we didn't have a problem again.

The bathtub took forever to fill because of weak water pressure but didn't have this issue with the shower. Instead, the water would get extremely hot every 20-30 seconds and would have to continually adjust the water temperature. I just wouldn't expect this with a 4-5 star resort but maybe this is common in Mexico.

Food: The food was hit or miss. We ordered room service for breakfast the first morning and the eggs, pancakes, French toast, fruit were all pretty bland, very disappointed. We didn't really have a great meal until our last evening when we ate at the French restaurant. Great service and great food. The other restaurants were okay, the only one we didn't try was Spice. Again, maybe this is common with the other resorts in Mexico but was really looking forward to some great food and only once can I say they delivered an above average meal. The service at the restaurants was okay.

We were there for four days/four nights and never got in the pool or ocean at the resort, just a bit too cold for us. I don't believe they heat the pools which is kind of shocking given how cool it was while we were there. The beach was nice but really didn't spend a lot of time there either other than walking to and from Puerto Morelos (about 3 kilometers). We made that walk twice and really enjoyed walking the beach and seeing the locals. You can find places along the beach near Puerto Morelos that do massages for $20-30/hour. Not the best massages but okay. We found a gem of a place in Playa del Carmen, Veronica's, that charged $35 for a deep tissue massage, it was awesome, highly recommended.

We debated on whether to get a rental car but decided against it and I'm so glad we didn't. They have a phenomenal bus system that we utilized just about every day. We would take a taxi (90 pesos) from the hotel to the highway in Puerto Morelos and then take the Colectivo (small bus) to Playa. From there we connected to a different Colectivo and headed to Tulum. You pay only about 20 pesos for each segment on the Colectivo and they come every 2-3 minutes. We went to Playa two days in a row, once on our way to Tulum and then the second day just to do some shopping and get massages.

Can't really comment to much on the entertainment but seemed a bit cheesy. Was hoping to catch the Michael Jackson tribute show but we had a late dinner and didn't finish in time.

One of the highlights of our trip was Xplor. It's a newer park that has several ziplines, atv's, and underground cenates that you can swim in. It's a bit pricey, $99, but I felt like it is well worth the money. We had a blast. It's just south of Playa.

Lesson learned is that I'm definitely going back to the Mayan Riviera and will definitely be trying a new resort. I realized we aren't that fond of all-inclusives given we spent most of our time doing things outside of the resort. I almost felt like we were on a land-locked cruise ship but I get how a lot of people enjoy this type of vacation, just wasn't for us. I would prefer to stay in a hotel closer to Playa and get out and explore different areas rather than hang out at a resort.

Brunswick, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

The Excellence Resort was the best and most well kept resort we have ever stayed at on all of our vacations! It was perfect for our relaxation goal. The staff was fabulous and friendly and took care of all of our needs with our first request. Everyone working at the hotel always had a smile and would greet us everytime. We had a pool view Junior suite which was absolutely awesome. The bathroom layout was great because the shower, toilet, double sink were separate which made getting ready easy. We used the magnificent Jacuzzi tub every morning and a couple evenings. We ate at almost all the restaurants and the food and service were top notch.... including the buffet.

I highly recommend snorkeling off the beach using the resorts free snorkel. The best spot I found was by the old pier which is only about 20 to 30 feet from shore and about 8 feet deep. I saw a bunch of lobsters, lion fish, and small puffers,etc. There were plenty of chairs for my wife to relax while I snorkeled. She really enjoyed the drinks and fruit they brought around to all the guests that were on the beach.

We will never forget the excellent experience we had at the spa. The Temazcal steam bath, hydrotherapy session and Crystal Balneotheorpy were outstanding. This resort was everything we wanted plus a ton more than we anticipated. They had shows and live music every night. The Michael Jackson show was spectacular.

We can't stop raving to everyone about this resort. We would definitely go back tomorrow if we could!

Horseheads, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

My wife and I just returned yesterday from an all too short 6 day 5 night trip to this excellent (pun defiantly intended) resort. We are just starting our world travels and before this trip stayed at another Excellence property in Punta Cana. With a good experience there we decided to give there Cancun location a try. And to say that this resort puts the one on Punta Cana to SHAME is severely understated. We arrived via private shuttle from the airport (Olympus tours) and were greeted by the bellman by our names and a fond “welcome home”. As we were ushered into the grand lobby with a glass of champagne in hand and told that our representative would be with us shortly. We decided to go with the excellence club on this trip and were not disappointed. We waited all of 5 min before a concierge from the club came a greeted us and led us to the excellence club lounge, along the way the showed us the grounds and made recommendations on the restaurants and the best locations on the grounds.
The room:
We were checked into our room and escorted down by the bellman with our bags. The room was more than expected and about brought my wife to tears when she saw it. We chose a junior swim up suite with ocean view room 7058. It was an end room next to the hall leading to the excellence pool just steps away from the pool and easy access to everything we wanted. Now I can list all the pros about the room but I will be typing for days so I am only going to highlight the major points.
Pro: water pressure, I love a strong shower and this one was like being in a high pressure human carwash. Room size was almost too big.
Con: beds are getting old they are very firm, pillows the same way if you like a soft pillow I recommend bringing your own. Internet, now you are here to be on vacation and not plugged in checking e-mail every 5 min but this is the modern age so having to bring your own cat 5 wire to plug into internet and fells like dial up does not work for me. There are computers in the excellence club and they have wireless there but just put Wi-Fi in the whole resort.
The restaurants/bars:
We ate at all but Toscana and Basmatie, out favorite being Agave and a close second Chez Isabelle. Now it seems that everyone is a late eater so if you try to go to dinner after 7 expect a wait and sometimes a long wait 1-2 hours depending on the restaurant. They were doing a rotating restaurant schedule when we were there having 1-2 closed a night. The bars are well place so there is one close by where ever you go, the bar by the lazy river around the spa can be a long walk/ swim and they seem to have limited staff at this one so time between drinks can be long. We ordered room service only once and had it delivered in less than 30 min and the food was great, still nice and hot and wonderful service.
Pro: something for every one
Con: menu seemed limited to me, staff is hit or miss, the wait for the restaurants.
The Grounds:
BEAUTIFUL, they take great care of the property from cleaning the pools to stamping the sand for the ashtrays with the excellence symbol. There were plenty of lounge chairs available when we were there and it was not hard to find a float if you wanted one. I am an early riser (0600) so I was always able to get the location we wanted. It is the normal game of claim a chair and float in the morning before everyone else, but this is the norm where ever you go.
Pro: plenty of lounge chairs and floats available, beautiful surroundings
Con: ummmmmm none
Spa:
I have never been a big spa fan; my wife on the other hand is a spa fanatic. She convinced me to get an couples of massage after prodding me the entire flight to Cancun. First recommendation is do not book before getting to the resort; they have daily specials that change every day. We purchased a 50 min couples massage and it came with a 25 min hot stone massage for 220.00. the experience was unforgettable and I kept asking to go back for the rest of the trip. Their hydrotherapy circuit is an experience you have to have and that along was worth the trip to the spa. All together it was over a 2 hours body numbing experience.
Pro: wonderful staff, unforgettable
Con: …………. Still thinking…………nope can’t think of any
Over all this was one of the best vacations we have been on and will never forget it. Some very minor cons nothing worth no going here about, if you are on the fence about coming here get off of it and go it was well worth the money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!