“Excellence Riviera Cancun vs Excellence Playa Mujeres” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Excellence Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Excellence Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal-Puerto Juarez KM 324 -342 | Manzana 7, Lote 1, S.M. 11, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Ottawa, Can
“Excellence Riviera Cancun vs Excellence Playa Mujeres”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a fabulous 9 day stay at the Excellence Riviera Cancun (ERC). Last year, during the same time period, we spend 7 days at the Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM) so we thought it would be useful to write a review that will give our take on comparing these two fine resorts.

First, a few facts, we are a couple in our mid to late 40s (I am the one that’s late except when it comes to getting ready for dinner!), we have stayed in 5 star resorts in Mexico, the DR and Jamaica. Our last two vacations were at the Excellence properties mentioned above and in both cases we stayed in the Excellence Club Level.
Our first comment is that whether you choose the ERC or the EPM, you will NOT be disappointed as both of these resorts are truly fabulous. Both offer exceptional service, beautiful suroundings, excellent food choices and bar service, top shelf liquor is available, nice beaches and an overall great adults only atmosphere.

Rooms

Rooms in either location are very nicely appointed and have similar if not exact same amenities. Here we give the edge to the EPM, because our recollection is that the room there was slightly bigger and configured differently where beds are not set up against a wall as is the case at the ERC. In either case, the rooms are luxurious, maid staff in both places was efficient and the EC level offers special amenities such as evening turndown, fully stocked mini-bar with upgrade liquor selection, special room service menu etc.

Again, our overall statement is that the service in either location is about as top notch as we have seen compared to other 5 star resorts. These guys have this service thing down to an art form and I am convinced that Management must drive that point into all employees regardless of their role. Everyone greets you with a Hola, smiles all around; requests for any type of assistance were always dealt with politely and promptly. Sure there may be a hiccup here and there but whoever reported in previous reviews that they encountered rudeness of indifference must have been at a different resort. We observed nothing close to that. Tipping is not required but is appreciated. I did not leave a tip at every single meal or for every drink served and never got the feeling that I was treated any differently. On service, we would give a slight edge here to the EPM because of the extraordinary level of service that we received last year from the Excellence Club concierge staff, particularly the pool concierge who was constantly coming by to check up on patrons to see if we needed anything or to offer Champagna or snacks in the middle of the aft. Same could be said about the concierge staff at the club lounge as they were a bit more outgoing last year. The ERC pool concierge staff was virtually invisible during the day other than the odd passing around of a plate of fruit skewers.

Pools

A tie here the EC level pools were both nice. The EPM is a slightly smaller property and therefore the club pool which we hung around on most days is a bit smaller and quieter. The ERC has a slightly larger club area which made for a bit more people but generally speaking, either one is great. We visited the other pool areas only once in either location. There are several other pools, most rather long and meandering so it’s fun to get a floatie and let yourself just coast along those pools if you want to look at other parts of the property.

Beaches

We give the edge to the ERC simply because of a preference for long walks on the beach. The beach at EPM is not very long so the walks are not as much fun. Both offer nice powdery beaches and plenty of palapas and beach chairs, beach beds and palapas were available on the beach regardless of the time of day. As with other properties, the prime palapas around the pools get reserved early in the am. But again we found this to be a slight inconvenience as there was always a palapa available elsewhere in the resort in a less prime location.

Restaurants

This is where choices, tastes and preference from one person to another will differ greatly. Like others, we have read all the reviews about the restaurants and agree with some and disagree with others. Both resorts have very similar restaurant options and in some cases, have similar names for their restaurants. Last year at the EPM we raved about the French Chez Isabelle and went back twice, this year at the ERC we found it good but were not blown away. This year, we loved the Basmati Indian restaurant and went there on 2 nights. The EPM does not have an Indian restaurant but rather a Tapas that we did not go to. All in all, it’s probably a tie but if you choose the ERC, try the Basmati and if you like that type of food, you will love it.

Bar Service

Again both offer similar type of top shelf liquor that gives them that added 5 star rating. In the club level, we found the pool side service to be remarkable at the ERC. You can certainly mosey up to the bar to ask for a drink but why bother when someone is constantly walking about poolside and getting you whatever you need. We also saw that type of service outside of the club area. Again, these guys are all about the service. A tie here too. A special thanks to Amable and Moses at the ERC excellence club pool bar as they were amazing!

Entertainment

This is the aspect of a resort that we are the least interested in so I will limit my comments by saying that it was OK. I do not care for the shows. I will go to the disco , usually because my wife wants to check it out. Otherwise I am quite happy with the pre dinner music on the main plaza and I like that their band comes back for a set between 1015 and 1100 at night for a nightcap with friends and dancing under the stars…

Spa treatment

We did not use the facilities at the EPM last year but this year we treated ourselves to a couples massage and hydrotherapy and we loved it. It’s a bit pricey but the service was excellent. The hydrotherapy set up they have is very relaxing and can be lots of fun. As a Canadian, I enjoyed being able to throw snowballs at my wife in Mexico!!!! If you go, you will know what I mean..

Summary

We loved our vacation, we enjoy the Excellence Resorts and when asked which of the two we would recommend, I guess at the end of the day, it depends on what immediate memory pops into my head at the moment someone asks me that question. We plan to return and will see you at either of these locations. Vacations are really about what you make of them and about savoring a moment doing something or doing nothing and also about letting go and relaxing if and when things do not go exactly as planned or expected. This is a good time for a shout out to Stacey and Steve and Renata and Trey, it was great to hook up with you guys around the pool at the end of the day to enjoy drinks and some pun in the sun… Cheers !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

6,862 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,805)
NewBrunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We just arrived from the Excellence and WOW, what a place... the staff is incredible !! they are super nice and will always serve you with friendly smiles..thank you Emmanuel, Daniel and that cute girl from entertainment(sorry I forgot her name) but they got us dancing and having fun ! and drinking Tequila!! Megusta CuciCuci ! lol :) At the Martini bar, do chat with Mariana, she is a gem! And do take the bike tour to Puerto Morelos to see the real Mexico! you will be thankful for what u have!
The rooms are clean, very nice, and have everything !! the beach is beautiful, you can walk for miles.. and grounds are very well groomed..and the food is good, what else do you want. This was our 3rd time at the Riviera Maya, we just love it there !! and we will definitely return at the Excellence Riviera ! Go and ENJOY YOURSELF !!

Room Tip: room 3303 has ocean view
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011 via mobile

We came here for our honeymoon in september. It was the best holiday ive ever had. The staff were lovely, moses was excellent and entertained us daily with his singing on the beach and constantly topping up our drinks :-) we stayed in the excellence club swim up room and it was lovely very comfortable. I had a comfortable nights sleep every night after i had got over the jet lag! We ordered room service again it was always brilliant. We never had a bad meal. Our sunbeds were always layed with fresh towels and we were always offered fresh fruit. The beach was lovely, there was quite a lot of seaweed and it was a bit rocky but when you got past that it was like a huge bath, lovely and warm!. The spa was fab very relaxing and we enjoyed our treatments. Only dissapointment we had was our camera was stolen, but i had too look past that and just enjoy the time we had as we couldn't afford to go back it was my once in a lifetime holiday and i enjoyed every minute, a great start to married life. :-)

• Stayed September 2010
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My wife and I travelled to the Riviera Maya and stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun resort to celebrate our 25th anniversary from April 2 to April 9/11. I emailed the Excellence Riviera resort to advise them of the fact that we were celebrating our 25th anniversary and made some basic requests such as top floor, king size bed, central location (have arthritis) and partial ocean view if possible. The resort promptly replied to our request within the hour of my email and because of their quick and professional response it became clear to me that this resort prides itself on customer service!

Upon arriving at the resort and checking in at the front lobby desk my wife and I were very impressed with the proffesional conduct of the staff and their willingness to try to accomodate your requests. The front lobby area has a very rich and oppulent feel without going "over the top". We arrived early (1.30 pm) so the front desk suggested that we go for a drink or lunch while we waited for our room to be done up.

My wife and I went for a drink at the Martini bar and then decided to have lunch which we had at the Lobster house which has a beautiful view of the ocean and beach.
I ordered the chili and lime spiced mahi mahi which was done on the grill which is in the restauraunt and you can see the cooks preparing their various orders behind the glass walls. Our first dining impression at the lobster house was a modern higher end dining experience overlooking the Carribean with staff who pride themselves in customer service! The mahi mahi was super fresh and done to perfection. In fact it has to be one of the best seafood dishes I have enjoyed to date. Our server Pedro was excellent in offering recommendations and taking care of our requests.

We checked back and were told our room was ready and upon arriving at our room found that we had been placed in the Excellence club section (building 7) which has a partial view of the ocean and a full view of the pool area. Simply breathtaking! To our delight all of our requests were made and exceeded and our bed had beautiful towel swans, a long stem rose and rose pedals on the bed. By this point we realized that we had arrived in paradise!

The beaches and pool areas are beautiful. We loved our beach servers who brought us water and drinks. Thanks Jose!
The martini bar is in a central location and just beautiful. A special thanks to Felipe who made the best martinis ever!

The shows were top rate and very entertaining. Loved the Arabian theme night entertainerment and the belly dancers were beautiful and incredible!

We dined at the Spice (special thanks to our server Andres!), Toscana (thankyou Benjamin!) Basmati restauraunt - thankyou Jose! , Chez Isabelle & Agave, again both excellent experience and food.

I should mention that I had the most pleasurable experience at the Miile Spa and wellness centre and enjoyed the 50 minute excellence massage. Your are advised to arrive an hour early so that you can partake in a one hour complimentary hydrotherapy prior to the massage. I feel that the combined package represented good value, was very relaxed and the staff again were top rate and professional.

The last evening the resort put on an outdoor Mexican theme dining night that concluded with a pre- hispanic Mayan show. It was absoulutely fantastic and unlike any thing we have seen.

I just want to finish by saying that my wife and I have stayed at many excellent resorts in the Mayan Riviera and we had great expectations from the tripadvisor reviews which we had read prior to arriving at the ERC. I can easily say that our holiday at this resort exceeded our expectations and we had great difficulty leaving but will be back soon.

Thanks again to all of the Excelelnce Riviera Cancun staff (many staff names that we have forgotten) that made our 25th anniversay holiday experience simply outstanding!the most amazing experience!

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I always read reviews of where we are staying but have never felt compelled to write one myself. However we have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Excellence and have had the most wonderful time. Everything is perfect!! We travelled with our friends and we were all celebrating our silver wedding anniversary We have been thoroughly spoilt and would highly recommend any one to stay here. Beach is excellent ,lazy river very relaxing, staff are so polite even the gardners will look up as you walk by and say hello! Nothing is too much trouble you are waited on hand and foot both on the beach and around the pool. All the restaurants are fantastic our favourite being Chez Isabelle where the steaks are amazing. I can't write anything negative at all We will definitaly be returning at some point.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Like other reviews, I don't know where to start. Everything was amazing... the staff, the food, the drinks, the entertainment, pools, beach, spa, other guests were all great and exceeded my expectations. Whenever I go to an all-inclusive, especially outside of the US, I leave a little margin for error or 2-3 star quality... well the Excellence is top notch and I can't wait to go back. I promise I'd travel to as many places as possible and experience all different cultures, countries, etc. without "repeating" the same trip but this resort is making me go back on that promise.

One of the reviews said to get the chicken quesadillas... ohh boy were they right. DELISH! I ate them everyday, I couldn't resist =)

We used USA Transfers to and from the airport - http://www.usa-transfers.com/ - highly recommended!! Do not trust any site that asks you to pay through Paypal or put a deposit down, etc.

Feel free to message me with any questions!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We just returned from an incredible week at ERC. Here is what we thought about our stay:

Room: We stayed in a swim up suite in the excellence club area of the resort. The bed was firm but comfortable. The room was always kept immaculately clean. We enjoyed the fully stocked fridge and mini bar. Having our own loungers and hammock outside was very relaxing. The shower had great pressure and we always had plenty of hot water. We did not notice a musty smell as others have commented.

Restaurants and Food: We ate at Chez Isabelle twice, Basmati twice, the lobster house, Toscana and Spice once each. We enjoyed every meal. Our favorites were probably Chez Isabelle and Basmati. The lobster at the Lobster House was decent and the tepanyaki show at Spice was fun (although we found the food there very salty). Service at all the restaurants was top notch, but it really stood out for us at Toscana (delicious tiramisu there). The breakfast buffet at Barcelona was always good with plenty of choices. We ordered breakfast from room service twice and the food was hot and right on time. The beach grill was good for quick snacks when we did not feel like getting out of our wet swim suits. The loaded nachos there were very good. As excellence club guests we thoroughly enjoyed the sandwiches, fruit kabobs and other snacks that were delivered to us poolside. The food in the excellence club lounge was also delicious and a very nice perk. The drinks were good at all of the bars but especially good at the excellence club where you could always have top shelf brands.

Service: The service was by far the best thing about our vacation. The excellence club pool side concierge went above and beyond by placing towels on the loungers outside of our room every morning. The reception at the excellence club was great and the bar staff there was superb. The waiters and bar tenders at all of the restaurants and bars were prompt and friendly. One night we went to the X lounge for a drink and when we asked for some tequila that we had enjoyed at the excellence lounge, the bar tender went there to get it for us. That is service. The staff at the excellence club pool was amazing. Amabel and Moses and their helper (forgot his name) made us feel like royalty. They went above and beyond and worked incredibly hard to make our holiday special. I can't say enough about them.

Pools: We loved the pools and the floaties. The staff were constantly keeping them clean and inviting.

Excellence Club: We are very glad that we upgraded. The perks were worth the extra cost. Only negative is that we had a late flight when we left and asked via e-mail prior to our stay and during our stay for a late check out since that is supposed to be a perk of excellence club. We were told that we could not have that because 80 guests were arriving at Excellence Club that day. I question that because we had to leave our room at 12:30 and stayed by the pool until 4:00 during which time we saw no new guests arriving. It seemed like they could have at least extended our room a couple of more hours. It would have been very nice not to have to pack up so early, store our luggage and have to walk over to the fitness center for a shower. It felt like they were rushing us out. I would have been happier just to have any room to use in the excellence club area and offered to pay for the extension but they would not budge. It would be better if they did not list this as an extra perk for excellence club. One other thing that they forgot was our anniversary. I emailed the resort a few months prior to tell them that we were celebrating our 22nd anniversary but they did not remember to acknowledge this while other rooms had anniversary banners and special spa services to celebrate their occasion.

Overall, we loved our stay and would like to return. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!