Having stayed at the Zoetry Agua a couple of years ago, we really wanted to try out this sister property. We arrived at the resort and Rafael was waiting outside the lobby for us to greet us and welcome us to the resort the way an old friend would wait outside their home for you. He gave us a quick tour and walked us to our suite. We were placed in Atenas, a master suite with a plunge pool and a fabulous view. That greeting set the tone for our week at this resort. Like Rafa, the rest of the staff was extremely warm and gracious without being overly solicitous.
Each day we would go out to either the pool or the beach and were greeted by a friendly staff person who would quickly set up our chairs. At the pool, they would give us double cushions, which really is a treat. Pool and beach drink service was very good and although we did tip, we saw that others did not appear to be tipping and were getting the same level of service. Special shout out to Miguel at the pool! His huge smile and great attitude really helped make our week more special.
We enjoyed all of the food offerings at the resort – especially La Canoa where we ate three times. Really outstanding service and food. I think my favorite was the lamb. Also the chocolate dessert with salty caramel sauce and icecream was just amazing. We also enjoyed the food at Kaax - shout out to Eddy, one of our favorite waiters, who went out of his way to even present us with a special dessert on our last night.
We did the sunset sail, which was very relaxing and a lot of fun. Especially amusing was when they handed out binoculars as we sailed past the clothing optional beach at another resort. (See what happens when you mix champagne with adults on a sail boat?) We also did a 3.5 hour snorkel trip on the same catamaran. Not sure that I would totally recommend that trip – but that is because I really don’t like playing “follow the leader” with a guide. I would rather just explore the reef on our own, but that wasn’t really an option. The trip was well run, the lunch served was great and the crew was professional -- but I just didn’t love that style of snorkel trip.
We had a very fun wine tasting with Miguel the sommelier. After that, I had a new favorite red wine which it turned out was on the house list so I drank if for the rest of the trip. We spent time in the library with Jimmy who took the time one evening to give us a great lesson in tequila, the process and the different types of tequila. We also spent some time in the evenings at Hippos bar listening to live music in the evenings. There were as singer/guitar player duo that was really fun to listen to and made for the perfect end to our day. We did have the opportunity to meet the general manager Valter. Upon meeting him, it was clear that it was his warm and gracious nature that was setting the tone for the whole resort team. He runs a tight ship of which he can be proud.
Housekeeping was immaculate. In fact, we never saw them at all but magically our room was always in top shape. At the beginning of the week, Rafa asked when we wanted our room turned down and I think that as a result at 830 each night, our room was turned down . They even surprised us with a rose petal bubble bath on our last night with candles creating a path to the tub and a flower filled swan towel creation on our bed.
Before arriving at the resort, I had a couple of concerns based on other tripadvisor reviews I had read – let me address those in case others might share them:
The beds: Others complained that the beds were too hard. We found the bed to be firm but very comfortable.
The beach/ocean: We were not expecting crystal blue water and white sand – but I was concerned about the seaweed. I thought they meant that there was a lot of seaweed growing along the edge of the ocean that you had to wade through. That is not the case. There are pieces of sea weed floating in the water – sort of like dried straw. This did not prevent us from swimming in the ocean. We are admittedly more pool people than beach people though so the seaweed was not a deal breaker for us. Also, yes, there is a tractor that goes back and forth cleaning up the seaweed that collects on the shore. Others have complained about that but it did not really bother us at all and if you walk up the beach to other resorts you can better appreciate what the beach would look like without that tractor.
The mosquitoes: Really not a problem for us. In fact, each evening they would walk around spraying for bugs behind the suites. The only complaints I heard about bugs was from some people who went out to the beach right after a rain storm – when the storm was over, the sand fleas apparently get bad and those guests had a lot of bites. We did not experience any bug issue though.
Overall, we had a wonderful time. We enjoyed meeting the other guests, watching the iguanas, interacting with the staff and just enjoying the ambiance of this very relaxing resort. As others have said, do not choose this resort if you need a lot of activities and hub bub. This is really just a place to chill out. We would definitely go back.
- Also Known As:
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Hotel
- Paraiso De La Bonita
- Paraiso Bonita
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mexico's famed Paraiso de la Bonita Resort, a Leading Small Hotels of the World, Virtuoso member and four-time winner of the prestigious AAA Five Diamond Award is tucked into a protected private Beach just 15 minutes from the Cancun International airport. The ultra-luxury boutique beachfront resort is considered the most exclusive property in its category in Cancun's Riviera Maya region. Each of the 90 lavish oceanfront suites is uniquely decorated with hand-picked treasures and feature private terraces, luxurious bathroooms with Bvulgari bath amenities, Frette robes and towels and spacious living room. The resort is home to North America's first certified Thalassotherapy Spa, which combines the ocean's most beneficial elements with state of the art equipment and techniques. In addition, the property's private 48 ft. Catamaran treats guests to a delightful experience on the beautiful waters of the Mexican Caribbean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Splendia, Travelocity, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.