My girlfriend and I stayed for four nights at the end of February 2005. We really liked Azul and I will recommend it to all of my friends.
We read the TripAdvisor reviews beforehand and were -- as a result -- looking for the problems our first day there. Don't do this. Just go with an open mind, ready to experience a relaxing, fun time.
Having said that, I'll give you the primary bad thing: our building had brown, foul-smelling water our first two days. (Actually, it did vacillate a couple times between brownish and milky white.) This troubled me more than my girlfriend -- I had health issues with this, i.e. this can't be good for my skin. But a guy we went snorkeling with (who was staying in our building) said he'd experienced the same thing in Miami and that it wasn't a big deal. I did draw it to the front desk's attention both days and they assured me that they had engineers working on it.
Other issues: 1. Ummm...where is the Mexican food? I was in Mexico and a bunch (not all) of the Mexican dishes were Midwestern US-style -- you know, made bland for people who might be afraid of it. I would have even been overjoyed to eat Nuevo Mexican, but it really wasn't there. 2. I agree with the need for heated pools contingent. 3. More people vacationing from Minnesota than I had previously believed actually lived in Minnesota.
Now, the GREAT THINGS: 1. The staff was fantastic. From the activities team (volleyball, stretching, Hobie Cat trips, tequila tasting) and housekeeping services to the wait-staff, I was impressed. Such a warm and friendly bunch of people. There were smiles everwhere. Good times. 2. The food was really quality despite the lack of authentic Mexican food. Blue (world cuisine) and Tainin (Asian cuisine) were both delicious, but Tainin took a slight edge. Really good sushi. 3. Great beach. We even grabbed our snorkel gear and went 30 feet off (where the sea grass begins) and saw some interesting stuff. 4. The beach beds were a beautiful thing. The beach hammocks were amazing. And the lounge beds beneath the palapas were super. Remember: have your girlfriend or wife get up early (like, 6-6:30 am) to secure your spot! :) 5. The fruity tropical drinks were great. They'll make anything for you. I recommend a discovery I made there: the Miami Vice. Delicious. 6. The place itself: It's beautifully and tastefully designed. The Agavero tequila lounge (open at night), though typically kept at an unbelievable 60 degrees, is stylish and cool. Tainin is tre-chic. Even the lobby is a great place to sit and soak up the coolness. 7. The rooms are superbly decorated and cozy. There are dvd players in each room and movies at the front desk to check out. The bathrooms have great sinks. (And I never experienced a cold water problem -- I even took showers with just the cold water on because anything warmer was just too warm.) 8. "Desire", the nudist resort next door, provides a great motivation for walks along the beach ;-).
Again, overall, a truly enjoyable, laid-back experience. This is not a party place. Just a great place to soak up the sun, enjoy the warm, Riviera Maya waters (gorgeous beach) and relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azul Beach Hotel is a family-friendly, boutique-style property located on a gorgeous beach 20 minutes from Cancun International Airport. All of the newly renovated 148 rooms are just steps from the beach, pools, restaurants and bars.Featuring the Gourmet Inclusive® concept, epicurean offerings include candlelight dining on the beach, a fresh fish fry and butler service to the canopied beach beds. There’s an all-lobster menu, 24-hour room service and over 30 tequilas in the tequila lounge.Azul Beach especially caters to families with young children with loaner baby equipment, kid's club and parent support. The exclusive Family & Friends Vacation Planner coordinates family reunions. Romantic couples love Beachfront Sky Massages and Suite Scenes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Beach Hotel, By Karisma Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Azul Resort All Inclusive Beach
- Azul Beach Resort
- Azul Hotel Beach Resort
- Azul Beach Hotel, By Karisma Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos