“you can't afford NOT to go...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Chicago, IL
“you can't afford NOT to go...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Recently went to Azul Beach over spring break 2014 with my husband and two kids (10, 12y). We absolutely loved this resort and would definitely consider going back.
Rooms-consider a swim up suite if your kids like to swim. we found it very useful to be able to relax on the deck or in the room while the kids were outside swimming. water was clean and warm. we were in a renovated room and felt it was ideal for families. the rooms are large, clean and modern with big bathrooms and nice tubs. my only criticism was they do not provide conditioner so if you have long hair take some from home. housekeeping services are excellent and timely. we were there with almost 100% occupancy and had no issues. love the pillow and scent menu
Pools-clean and many of them. we never found they were crowded and it seems like there is some place to swim for everybody. there's one near the beach, one with a bar, one that is rectangular, one that is large with a bridge etc.
Food-this place is a NOTCH ABOVE other all-inclusives. we've been to over 10 resorts in this area and loved Azul Beach for the food. we were never sick and enjoyed all the a la carte options. we rarely had to wait at the restaurants and consistently had good service. lots of options for vegetarians as well. be prepared to wait if you want to eat at Chill at lunchtime but other than that, no issues. breakfast buffet is from 7-9, after that it is a la carte. I wished they would extend that to 10 am since if you want to sleep in a little, you would miss the buffet.
The bartenders were also great and the drinks were fabulous!
Beach-long stretch if you like to walk on the beach. there is a nude resort next door but you will have to walk quite a bit to get there so in general, for families, you will not deal with their guests. there is a little seaweed in the beach but they do clear it daily. snorkeling trips at 9 and 1 daily. you have to buy a $3 wristband to use the hobie cats and kayaks but it is good for your entire stay so if this is what you like to do, get it early in your trip. by far, the best thing at this resort are the palapas on the beach. stand in line before 3 pm the day before and reserve one. it made our vacation so much more enjoyable. these palapas are so comfortable!
Activities-lots to do for young kids at the kids club which is really nice; but also for the older kids there is beach volleyball, soccer, crazy games, bingo etc. it seemed like the kids were always busy and we had to drag them into the room for an hour in the afternoon. gym is nice. 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, bike and wts. it is cool and clean. there are TVs in there as well. did not go to the spa but it looked nice. some days, you'll just want to curl up with a book on their many swinging beds which are in the lobby and at the bar and the beach!
Staff-they are amazing! they really want to please you and are hardworking and courteous. my hats off to Israel, Joan, Fidel, Longino, Luis, Didier, Fernando, Ilse, Carlos and all the rest of the names I can't remember now! these guys make your vacation whether it be in the restaurant, the beach or the bar. Andrea (hostess at buffet) even gave my kids a hug on our last day and told them to come back soon!

Room Tip: consider the swim up rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent family vacation. I enjoyed reading your review and will be sure to share this with the Staff at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Once again, many thanks for this great review and I hope to see you again soon at the Azul Beach Hotel.

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We are here now. I would have given this resort 3 1/2 stars but such option is not available. First of all, we chose to stay at this resort because of its boutique size and stellar reviews from families with children like ours. We were not disappointed. This is the place to be if you have young children. If I am basing my review solely on this, solid 4 1/2 stars. No doubt! The beach is perfect. Turquoise water, swimmable with gentle waves. The Kids Club is super! The staff working there are some of the best childcare providers I have encountered in my 8 years of being a parent. The program they have for kids are just so fantastic that my kids won't leave come pick up time. As parents, my husband and I feel very safe leaving them there. The kids pool is a hit, all the pools in general are a hit with my kids! I mean, this resort is keeping my kids busy and tired at the end of the day. The kids menu on all restaurants could be better. At Chill, when we ordered milk, they served evaporated milk. I mean really? I wish they would have had a more interesting menu for children.

Alas, this vacation is also for my husband and myself. While the Kids Club allows us some grown up alone time, there are many inconsistencies we have encountered which put a damper on our overall experience. I have to enumerate the many positive things first: this resort is clean, clean, clean! I mean spic and span. The staff is obsessed with cleanliness. On our first day, our room was not cleaned until after 3pm. We were sort of miffed but when we walked in and found our room in a state as if its our first day moving in, we understood why it takes forever to get our room serviced. Its amazing to have such immaculate room everyday! The grounds' the same. We see crew always cleaning. Cleaning the pool. Soaping and brushing the walkways. Sweeping inside and out. And by gosh, the staff is constantly raking the sea grass to keep the beach clean. Thank you! God bless you all! You make our beach experience so much better. In general, everyone are extremely friendly,helpful and will absolutely go out of their way to help. We appreciated so much that as soon as we arrived, they made us sit, served us champagne (milkshake for kids) and cold towels. They came to us instead of the typical wait in line check in process. It almost felt like them telling us, " time to slow down, you're on vacation". We loved that. Because of some mix-up with our travel agency, they gave us an automatic upgrade to a swim- up jacuzzi suite. We are grateful for that, we appreciated the intentions. We ended up upgrading to an ocean front honeymoon suite a for a lot, lot more but definitely worth the splurge. The location, safety, facility, the amenities, the grounds, the cabanas, the butler service at the beach---perfecto! Truly, this resort is beautiful. The rooms are very special, gorgeous and modern. Their social directors (whose names skip me) are the most hardworking people I've met. They really get you going with the activities they have planned. I don't know if they ever go home, they are there all the time. Their presence makes a difference. The resort is environmentally friendly. You'll be hard press not to find recycling bins in your every turn. Your room keycard turns on power in your room and it turns off when you leave the room with your room keycard. 'Smells like they repurpose their water too which I think is all good. I love that they have an adequate number of restaurants- not too many that its overwhelming, just right. We never have to wait for a table really surprising since all of the restaurants are ala carte and you do not need to make a reservation. The resort staff keeps you busy with many options - non motorized water equipments, snorkeling gears, yoga, water aerobics, beach volleyball, spanish lessons, salsa lessons, etc. You will certainly not be bored. The beach bbq is a nice touch. There is always an evening entertainment planned. We have not made it to one yet as my kids are down for the count after dinner.

Here are some of the things that are holding this resort back from being good to being absolutely on top! The food could be better. I expected more as they tout to be Gourmet Inclusive. Maybe I ordered the wrong things but both at Latino and Roma, my sea bass came out hard or over cooked and not very fresh. The steak at both places were chewy. At Latino, my husband ordered medium rare steak and got barely rare steak. They replaced it with a well done steak. Coming from Chicago with an extensive fine dining experience, I wasn't wowed so far with the food options. Tainan was ok. Sushi is not their specialty. Let's talk about service at these restaurants. While I really do believe everyone work so hard, all these restaurants miss the mark on service. At both Roma and Latino, we have to wait a long time to get our water and wine refilled. The pacing of food coming out was not quite right. At Blue, our glasses of Cabernet got refilled with Merlot. At Chill, I ordered a hamburger with no mayonnaise for lunch, I got it with mayo. At Tainan, I asked for some chili sauce that I never got. I was served a corked glass of wine. They served our sushi starter with the main entree. Really?! At the breakfast buffet, they run out of almonds and some other items that never got replenished. One breakfast room service, I ordered 2 yogurts and received just 1. I ordered a ham omelette for my son and got a cheese omelette, no ham. Tonight, I ordered room service for my kids dinner - a pepperoni pizza, spaghetti with butter sauce, 1 glass of milk, 2 brownies and a pot of coffee for my husband and myself. The person on the other line asked for how many people, I said 2 kids and he responded with "Wow, that's a lot". Again, really?!

Now let's talk about this much hype room scents/aroma and turn down service. We've been here since the 30th. We got the spray and turndown service just once. And this was after my husband complained earlier at the front desk about not getting the fitness pillow we picked during check-in and not getting a turn down service at all. I mean, why go through the motion of having us pick the pillows and scents and setting our expectations with twice a day housekeeping service and a nightly turndown service with petit fours when you cannot live up to it? It dampens our experience. The other day, we had to call in housekeeping to refill our fridge and replenish the shower gel. Today, we had to call in housekeeping 3 times because we did not get our water bottles replenished, we did not get any hand towels and bath mats.

I am torn about the hour wait to get a Cabana. On one hand, for the luxury price we pay to stay at this resort, I am bewildered why I should wait an hour to reserve a cabana. It takes away from my R&R. However, I do get that there are only so many cabanas that could fit the beach area. The staff makes the waiting in line fun though with Bingo and someone taking drinks order!

There are many small things that when added all up gnaws at you. After all, we invested a lot for this vacation and when many small things go wrong, it sours the experience. Selling and buying a vacation package is selling and buying an escape from your reality even if temporary. Vacations are supposed to be therapeutic not high blood pressure inducing!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We came back here with our 4 year old after several years- we'd taken her as a baby and when she was one. Before becoming parents we were not too keen on all-inclusives, but Azul is a lovely property and we were excited to come here with her at this age.
We were not disappointed- since they have renovated, it is even nicer. The food, the pools, the service, the beach- everything was fantastic.
The only reason I rated our stay as 4 stars instead of 5 was a bad experience I had booking online with Karisma. I didn't find their online booking at all straightforward, and I ended up losing my early booking discount because my initial booking got canceled without my knowing. I had a lot of back and forth with their US office to rectify this, as I felt that they could have easily honored my original booking price, but no such luck. In the end, they did offer me a deal on a future booking, which was appreciated, but it still soured my overall experience somewhat. In the future, I would make a booking by phone rather than online, and would advise everyone to make sure they understand their deposit system. Just because you give your credit card with your booking online doesn't mean they will use it to take the deposit- weird but true!!

Room Tip: If you have young kids, ask for a room as far away from the bars as possible. They don't get ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review , I'm very hapy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments with future travelers and guests.

I do apologize for the issues you had with the booking online.

It was a pleasure to host your holiday, I hope you will return to visit us again soon at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I truly can't say enough about Azul, its a wonderful resort in a stunning location. The food was delicious and well portioned so you don't over eat, unless you choose to. We had our destination wedding at Azul, with aunts, grandparents, children, infants and singles-(aged 27-36) Azul accommodated everyone; our party was 39 in total (5 kids/infants). Planning the wedding was slightly challenging but my at home coordinator was a huge help for me, the onsite coordinators Pauola and Omar are wonderful and really make you feel important. We did the typical beach wedding with minimal décor and to be honest, it is set in such a stunning location, it was perfect. We followed with a beach dinner for the guests and was a wonderful time, it was my dream wedding, it was perfect. There are onsite babysitters that we used for the wedding to help with the infants as well. We were upgraded to an amazing suite with a beautiful view. Everyone loved the location, food, drinks, atmosphere, it was the most fun I'd ever had; and such a treat to be on vacations with 40 people you love. Even my single friends loved the resort and would return. I will absolutely return. The beach beds are wonderful with small children to shield them from the sun, getting one is a process but also nice that you can't 'greese' the staff to get one; its first come first serve. The food at every restaurant was amazing, our favorite was the Latin restaurant and the chill grill during the day. Peter keeps an amazing resort with friendly professional and wonderful staff. It was the best vacation I have taken and will return, its a piece of Mexico that is not as commercialized and naturally beautiful.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were different yet all lovely and comfortable beds.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
On behalf of us all at the Azul Beach Hotel, Thank you for your glowing review

We feel very privileged when we are chosen as the host of such memorable occasions. We work to make all wedding dreams come true. Great care and attention was taken with regards the planning of the wedding, down the finishing touches and we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your celebrations.

We hope to see you again, maybe to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary.

I wish you a lifetime of happiness,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My Wife and 4 Yr Old Daughter went here at the end of March. We have been to Azul Sensatori and Fives before, but Azul beach really stood out for us as the best of the bunch for families. It was jsut the right size for us, and the kids club was amazing. Our daughter spent about 2-3 hrs in the kids club every day and loved it! they do some many activites like dodge ball in the kids pool with water ballons, face painting etc... We did here from some people that the basic rooms are pretty dated, but we had a swim up room with a king bed and a pull out trundle bed for our daughter that worked out awesome! The only complaint I have is with the chill restaurant for lunch. the food was always good but twice they screwed up my order and gave me something else, and once forgot my order completely. We loved all the other restaurants thou...thought the food was generally awesome!

Room Tip: Building 10, swim up was great. not a lot of sun but that is what the pool is for!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent family vacation . I do agree the Azulitos is great for the kids and they are sure to have a great time in the safe hands of our qualified Nannies and kids club staff. I truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to follow up on your comments concerning the experiences with the food service.

It was a pleasure to host your holiday at the Azul Beach Hotel and I hope that you will return again in the near future.

Dorval, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Everything here was superb: amenities, restaurants, beach and most importantly the people who work for you and make you feel totally welcome.

Food is really a gourmet experience: international cuisine, a lot of choice on the menus and smiles from the personnal serving you !

We strongly recommand !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your brief review. I´m very happy to know that we provided with the ultimate GI vacation experience. I'm very flattered by your kind words and also very proud of each employee.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

las vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The property is great and is well kept and maintained. Super clean and nice rooms and views. But far too many vacationing brats running around being disruptive and creating a scene or having hissy fits. The staff can't do anything and the parents seem not to care. Too interested in cocktailing and texting to be parents. We had the misfortune of dining with several that broke dishes in the restaurant and threw silverware on the floor while mommy and daddy just said no no no. The property needs a few villas that do not allow any kids, and could use a restaurant where kids are not allowed at all. Rotate the staff accordingly to give them a break. My 2nd visit to this property and the last. Finding quiet to read and relax and unwind is hard with shrieking screaming disruptive brats. Parents need to act like parents and not teens on spring break only worried about cocktails and texting. The adults only pool is far from that. Brats everywhere being brats and no one says or does anything.

Room Tip: The higher floors not near the pools seem quieter and have less kids running around
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am truly very sorry that the children staying at the hotel affected your stay so negatively. At Azul Beach Hotel we are a family friendly resprt and welcome all ages. we do have our sister resorts , the El Dorado Resorts and Hotels that are exclusively for adults.

we respect your opinons and we are very sorry that your experiences did not meet expectations,

Best Regards

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Been to Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!