“Second Visit- Just as amazing as the first one..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Oakville, Canada
“Second Visit- Just as amazing as the first one..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Well our vacation is coming to an end... We are sad to be leaving Azul Beach tomorrow morning but its back to the cold reality of Canada... We were first here in February 2013 for my friend's wedding. We are a couple in our mid thirties with no kids. This time we brought my husband's parents along (early 70's). We didn't notice the first time around how many kids are at the resort. This is definitely the perfect boutique resort for family with kids (i.e. nanny programs, Fisher Price suites, Fisher price playground on the beach, lots of kids activities for all ages too). We do not have kids but still had a great time. The best assets of this hotel: GREAT STAFF, AMAZING Food, Gorgeous beach (small but gorgeous) and stunning hotel rooms and amenities. Pillar, Carlos, Ismael at the front desk and concierge. Antonio my favorite waiter, Mrs. Nunez the host at Blue. Everyone really seems happy to work here and wants to ensure that you need for nothing. As good as the staff is the food. The food is spectacular. I'm not a buffet person and I don't usually like all inclusive because too often the quality is compromised. It's not the case here. One a la Carte Latino/Mexican restaurant (really amazing), one incredible a la carte Italian restaurant, One a la carte Asian restaurant with a sushi boat bar, Chill (a grill restaurant that also has a buffet barbecue offering most days of the week), and Blue (Breakfast Buffet or a la Carte, Amazing Lunch and dinner. During our last visit we purchased the Prestige Membership and I must say that we were hesitant about it. We took a chance and it was really worth it. It gave us a lot of extra. If you plan on travelling back to the resort with your family this may be an option to entertain. The room we got this time was in Villa 8 (818 and 817), and they have a view to the ocean if you sit on the patio. Very very big room with two flat screen TV, 2 big closet space, Large Jacuzzi which is comfortable for 2) all in a very modern style. The beach does not run for miles but its big enough and its gorgeous (not as rough as in Cancun and the sand is soft unlike many resorts in Cancun where you almost need shoes to go in the water). I know some of the reviews say that there is not enough beds on the beach, but I just counted them and I believe there is almost 20. This is a 200 or so room and there are like 4 pools at least with tons of other shaded areas. To me that sounds more than reasonable. We never had a problem getting a cabana or a beach bed the whole 7 days we were here. This is definitely not a typical Cancun hotel, if you are looking for lots of nighttime activities and getting completely wasted at the bar, Azul Beach is not for you. If you do not like kids, this hotel is not for you. If you are looking to relax, enjoy the beach, play a little volleyball, not do too much and eat like a king in company of your loved ones (i.e. this hotel has a lot of extended family travelling together with kids, grandkids and grandparents), then this definitely the place for you. Puerto Morelos is a remote area, its not Cancun. You will not get the same experience. But if relaxation is what you are looking for, I can't think of a better place than Azul Beach! we will miss you till next time!

Room Tip: Loved Villa 8 Rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We just got back from our family vacation taking our two little kids ages 4.5 and 3. Stayed 6 days. All of us had a blast here and a lot of memories. The kids loved everything about this hotel including the friendly staff. The Ocean is beautiful and very calm no waves and clear. They could go in and out of the ocean with water wings on and still be comfortable (them and us parents) with playing in it. Granted there is a lot of seaweed but its a beach and don't walk South on beach of resort if you have kids with you (its an all nude resort). This time of year was perfect for littles ones not busy at all, we assume since school started for the older kids, thats why not so busy lots of babies and kids 4 and under. I would not recommend this for a couple who does not want to vacation around kids, because this is a family friendly resort, a lot of kids everywhere. All staff was very, very accommodating the minute we walked into the hotel. The staff was excellent: Carlos, Karla (she is great with kids), Fernando. We will return for sure! The rooms where nice, very chic. Loved the idea of a swim up suite, which pools are all over on main level and access to room/pool. but we we in Villa 8 which was perfect for quiet and we still had a slight view of the beach! Loved how this resort was a lot smaller then ones we have been to in past. The food and service was very good, high quality and anything we needed, they would accommodate and get us. It was nice to have kids menu available ( I think my kids ate more chicken nuggets and fish fingers for a year now) Nice to have room service as well. Roma was our favorite restaurant, then Latino. 5 course meals. Breakfast was very nice, you can choose buffet or menu. We met so many friendly individuals from all over. They have a kids club for 4 and up who can come in and enjoy the large play area, movies, and every day/night they host an event. Kids 0-3 can go, however there is a charge for additional staff/babysitter. There are nightly shows in the theater which is very entertaining, highly recommend seeing them. It was nice to also have one night of vendors who came in around the pool/bar area to display there crafts/jewelry/gifts for purchase. One night a fantastic band (3) members came in to perform and that was fun for adults and kids. The spa was just ok, had pedi with my daughter and I and I thought it was a little pricey. From Cancun its about a 15 minute drive. Overall I highly recommend this resort as I said before we will return again.

Room Tip: Villa 9 and 10 are quiet as they are in the back corner of resort. 3 Weddings were there and music...
brooklyn, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We visited Azul with our then 4 year old daughter with Celiac disease in March 2013. The executive chef Stefan met with us prior to each meal to let us know what our daughter could and couldn't eat, and did an amazing job accommodating her diet and providing her with special alternatives. Highly recommended for all on a gluten free diet. Just to be sure to talk with the chef prior to visiting. Stefan was outstanding in his service and concern.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

At these prices, one has very high expectations. Maybe ours were too high. Often the service was superb, but sometimes it was frustrating -- no beach towels available if it looked like rain (which it often did), or a wait of over half an hour to be served the appetizer course, or a room not cleaned, despite putting a sign asking for service, until afer 4PM. Since our room was too close to the bar and we had to use ear plugs, we asked to be moved to villa 2. We were told we would be, but nothing was ever done. The request was never followed up on. We felt ignored.

Don't leave anything in the room when you leave! We forgot a couple of things, a hat and a phone charger and were told they had not been located in the room by the staff -- apparently this inability to find items left in rooms has happened to others. They finally did locate the phone charger but wanted $25 to mail the $10 item back.
We liked the food and suggest ordering from the menu at breakfast rather than the a la carte. The excellent food is clearly one of the major reasons why one would choose to come here. Many of the waiters are great! The other reason to come is that this place is aimed at people with very small children and we saw many intergenerational families. Couples who like this kind of atmosphere will like it here.
Rather than use the rather expensive spa at the resort, we took a taxi to Jungle Spa, a sort of Mayan non profit enterprise, which was a delightful experience and a significant savings for a couple as well, even adding in the cost of the taxi. My wife said it was the best massage she had ever had!

The bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked well.

Be careful, however, when there is rain, or your feet are wet -- the passageways can be dangerously slippery. I slipped and fell just walking barefoot to my room after a swim, but fortunately suffered only minor whiplash and did not hit my head or break anything -- it could have been much worse.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your detailed feedback of your recent stay at the Azul Beach Hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experiences however I'm disappointed to hear that you experienced a couple of issues . I have reached out to you through a private message and also you may contact me at the email below or alternative direct further communication to the head of Customer services , customerservices@karismamexico.com

Despite the minor shortfalls, I do hope that you will choose to return and I will assure you that , on your next visit , we will go above and beyond to surpass all previous vacation experiences

Best Regards

ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Paid 4200$ for the smallest room. Upgraded to a family suite for 800$ extra. Room comfortable, good room service. Rooms adapted for children and babies.
For a couple, very few activities. Beach is small and lots of weeds. Cannot walk far on the beach. Lots of garbage when walking away from hotel beach.

Food is good in one restaurant, la Roma. Breakfast buffet is small but good quality. Service in evening and noon is slow and menu a la carte. During one week always the same menu.
Not a five star hotel.
Extras are very expensive. Spa is clearly too expensive.
Daughter with baby enjoyed the stay.
Our son was given a small room, close to ground. Lots of bites on the feet, probably red ants in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms comfortable if you pay extra money for second floor Spa too expensive. 50 minute massage $ 13...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community , I truly appreciate your feedback however I'm sorry that you feel your experience did not match the pricing of your stay.

We do have various different room catagories that cater to the requirements of our valued guests and if the room chosen prior to arrival does not completely match your needs , a superior room category can be purchased, subject to availability . We have details of all our room types on our website.

I have taken on board all comments made and I'm sorry that your experiences was not indicative of superior service that we strive to provide to each and every one of our guests. I can assure you that your feedback will be addressed and discussed with our Food and beverage team.

Best Regards
Champlin, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We spent a fantastic week at this resort! The service was second to none and we were greeted by name by many staff during our stay. We were there with a large group of families with children ranging in age from 5 - 16 years and the kids club activities were fun for all ages. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our group of more than twenty, whether it was seating us together at dinner or helping us find space together on the beach. There was a wide variety of food options and each restaurant gave special attention to those with food allergies. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. This is a quiet, family centered resort, so if you're looking for late night drinking and dancing, it is probably not for you, but I cannot recommend Azul Beach highly enough for a relaxing and fun family get-away.

Room Tip: Family suites offer adjoining rooms for private "grown up" time. Ocean view and garden vi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your glowing feedback, it was truly a pleasure to host you and your family. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments with future travelers and guests.

On behalf of the entire staff , we would like to thank you for choosing the Azul Beach hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I am writing this from a perspective of someone in a couple. Azul Beach is more of a family resort and in short I would say that it is excellent for a family with young kids. We also were prestige members, so that offered us a lower price (thus more affordable for us) and some other amenities.

From a couple perspective, the experience was still excellent but there was a little to be desired.

Room - The room itself was beautiful. We had a swim-up suite that was spacious and perfect for the two of us. The bed itself was perfect and they offer a wide array of pillows so you can sleep on whatever you find comfortable. They offered a great shower and a jacuzzi tub. Everything was perfect and there were no real complaints. Don't spend a lot of time in the room.

Service - The people here really stood out to me and made the experience. At every location the servers were helpful and knowledgeable - this includes bars, restaurants, etc. Basically everyone was willing to help you with things you need. I ended up asking a security guard if he knew were towels were and he walked and got them himself. They also have butlers who are assigned to a group of rooms and help out with anything you need. They seriously are the nicest people and go above and beyond. When we got there one helped me figure out the cabana reservation system and waited in line for me to get a cabana. They also were personable rather than subservient. Probably the hotel's best quality.

Food - The food was very good but not excellent. Snacks are great if you want chips and guacamole on the beach. They offered lunch on the beach on every sunny day which was the highlight food wise. The issue with food was that they seemed disorganized. Coming from the perspective of someone who eats in NYC often, it seemed like the hostesses and waiters were not on the same page. Tables were open yet people were not being seated. This was slightly annoying. I didn't want to spend my time waiting for a table when there was availability. Note: When you are just 2 people here you will get a table quicker since there aren't many couples, but you still have to wait for them to figure things out. It's a weird and frustrating delay. I think it's because they don't have any walkie-talkie system at the restaurants.

Beach - The beach while we were there was amazing. It was clean and they have numerous people walking around to see if you need anything. The main issue we found when we were there is that it was impossible to get a towel. You would wake up in the morning and have to steal one from a chair by the pool. If you needed a towel mid-day you would find that none of the towel storage areas actually had one. We would have to walk the premises of the place searching for the things (which actually led me to asking a security guard if he knew where any were). It was ridiculous and it seems like we weren't the only ones with issues. Further, there simply aren't enough shaded areas or cabanas for the amount of people here. There were a handful of cabanas available on the beach. They had to be reserved the day before at 3pm. The line for these started an hour earlier, which is ridiculous in itself (if you have people waiting in line for them, then you should think about offering more cabanas). Prestige members have 2 cabanas just for member families. Going to prestige concierge led to me being told we would have to wait in line the day before, yet after waiting in line we were told they had been reserved earlier.

It was ridiculous and the lack of shaded area + towels (moreso towels, they're really important at a beach resort), was a main source of frustration.

Other amenities - Obviously the drinks and food are amazing, but the other amenities that were essentially for families really impressed me as a bystander. They have events going on at all times for kids or adults to participate - ranging from yoga on the beach to volleyball to anything else you can think of. The people who organize these things are the happiest and most outgoing people I've ever met. They are genuinely excited about things. It's infectious. If you are a family with kids this is a big plus. They get to go away and have fun and meet other kids and you get alone time. As a couple it was nice to know I could play some volleyball or do some yoga. Was nice to be offered an alternative.

A slight side note - we did do New Years with them and they offered a really nice show on the beach with a live singer and DJ and mariachi band. It was really nice and came as a surprise to us. I may have had slight issues, but the bottom line is that they really do care about the people here and go above and beyond. Maybe that comes at the expense of the obvious, but I was impressed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, sharing your experiences of your recent stay, it is always very rewarding to read the comments and feedback from our valued guests.

I do apologize for the inconsistencies experienced and I will be sure to address these areas with my management team. Your feedback has been carefully considered and I will be sure to take the necessary action to ensure that the Azul Beach Hotel maintains one of the most sought after resorts within the Riviera Maya and Mexico.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you at the Azul Beach Hotel again in the future.

Best Regards,

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Been to Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!