“Big Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
New York City, New York
“Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The only bright spot of our stay here was the lovely staff and service of the locals. I have to give them credit. Apart from that, everything else was terrible. Not only is the all inclusive MEALPLAN a scam, they had no record of our reservation upon arrival, there was one person at the desk at 11pm on a Saturday night, not another soul around. We were told they could give us a room for the night but the next day would have it straightened out and make it up to us. The room we got was located in the back half a mile from the beach and pool, with a Sewage odor outside. That is what they burn the incense to cover up. We spent our entire first day still packed, waiting for a room change, with no access to wifi because our room wasn't registered, and ultimatetely someone from the concierge told us he could get us $200 back for the trouble. That turned out to be nothing but a "gift" for being taken on a sales tour to get us to buy their timeshare or upgrade our room for another $600! Then, two days later we were handed a bill for $1800 for the mealplan! Our travel agent told us it would be half that amount. If these weren't enough insults, discussions with Prestige, the timeshare management, did nothing but waste more of our time waiting for this manager or that manager who were all out to lunch or in meetings, then ultimately blaming it all on our agent, and doing absolutely nothing. No room change, no $200 back. Nowhere is their meal plan pricing printed or posted on their website. For all we know, somebody made a nice commission.
NOT only is the mealplan a scam, the hotel is located SO FAR from anything it's at least $100 roundtrip taxi fare to do anything such as shopping, Cancun, tours, etc. There is ONE bar, located outdoors at the pool, and a volleyball net on the beach. This is your entire range of "activities" for an "all inclusive resort", and if it rains, your one bar is rained out too! Anything you want to do costs MORE. Nothing is included, except food, and even that, sorry to say, left alot to be desired. Mexicans make good Mexican food, but not Sushi or Italian. There are No shuttles, no transportation, no activities, even the Wi FI isn't free, and if you each have a tablet, it's $10 per day PER DEVICE. If you do want to go on a tour, you have to book it a day in advance, and lose your money if you cancel due to rain. If you want a cabana on the beach you ahve to get there at precisely 3pm the day before to reserve one. And that is all there is to do on the property, or spend $100 to go anywhere else. And that would be my recommendation.......stay somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
As general Manager , firstly I would like to apologize for what seems to have been a very dissappointing stay at the Azul Beach Hotel. I am quite confused by your comments as the entire hotel is Gourmet Inclusive and we have no other mealplans available. All our hotel packages and rates include this meal plan inlcuding the deals purchased through a travel agent or tour operator. Only guests that use an membership exchange program such as RCI or interval International have to pay for the GI plan separately , usually prior to arrival or on occasions on arrival with the prestige staff.

after a full review with my staff , I believe that we located your reservation and upon checking your final bill , we found only additional charges for spa treatment taken at Vassa spa .

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort for the first time 6 years ago, and I have always remembered it as my favorite resort (out of 8 trips down to the Riviera Maya). 14 of us went back for another family trip June 15-22, and it exceeded my expectations yet again. The staff across the board is friendly and aims to please and is amazing with the children. They are responsive to any issues (only had a few minor ones) and they work hard to cater to any and all your preferences.

My room (410 – a deluxe room) was very clean and has had the décor refreshed since I was there last. It had a comfortable bed, modern furniture, a flat panel TV and fresh paint. Housekeeping was fantastic. They kept towels well stocked, and I always had plenty of water/soda in my mini bar. But the best part of my room was the view! I could lay in bed and watch the sun rise over the ocean/beach, or sit on my patio and relax with beautiful beach views. I had family staying in the new wing (the family suites), and those rooms were stunning—large, well appointed (I called them “swanky”)-- but those rooms didn’t have close to the beautiful views I had in my older/remodeled deluxe room. I would say you really can’t go wrong with your room choice at this intimately sized resort. If you are travelling with a family, I would recommend the family suites. If you are travelling as a couple or with just one small child, the deluxe rooms are the way to go.

They have several fantastic restaurants to choose from at the resort that never seemed crowded and had very good service. We ate at each one a couple different times and the food and service was consistently fantastic at each one. The fillet I had at the Latin restaurant outdid any steak I have ever eaten while at a resort in Mexico…. perfectly cooked and VERY tender. The quality of the food at this resort is far superior to most of the resorts I have stayed at in the area. The staff was also very good about catering to the children first. (They took the children’s orders almost immediately and got their food to them first. When traveling with 5 small kids in the group, this helped make the family meals much smoother.) After dinner go see the bartender in the tequila bar…. The ambiance is cool, the tequilas are top shelf and the bartender is fantastic!!!! I would say he was the best bartender at the resort!

The beach was great and beach beds are a perfect way to spend the day (just make sure you put your name on the reservation list for a beach bed at 3PM the day before, or check in after 10AM the same day to see if can get an unclaimed one.) One minor negative about the beach was the amount of seaweed washing ashore each day. They have a team of staff that works diligently every day to clear the seaweed, so it’s not really much of a problem (but it is noticeable). If the beach isn’t your thing, there are tons of pools to choose from… two have swim up bars, and at least one is very shallow for the very small children.

The entertainment team put on great shows each night… from fire shows and discos on the beach to kid friendly shows nightly in the theater. During the day the team is busy hosting volleyball games, beach soccer, beach mechanical bull riding, stretching on the pier, salsa lessons, cooking lessons, etc. They are friendly, fun, and engaging.

The spa facility is beautiful, and the massages myself and my family signed up for were on par with any spa I’ve been to. (Tip – they will come to the beach and offer a free sample massage during the day, and may offer discounted times to get massages then as well. ) The gym facilities are modern, clean, and have very nicely maintained equipment.

I am sure I could go on and on about this resort…. But I’ll finish by saying this. With just a 15 minute ride from Cancun airport to this gem of a resort, you really are missing out if you DON’T experience Azul Beach! It is a top notch resort all the way around and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 410 (in the older but updated section) had THE most amazing views! It's a second floor end...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager en Azul Beach Hotel, at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is very rewarding to know that you have enjoyed every moment of your vacation at the Azul Beach Resort .

Again, thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel for this vacation and we hope to share many more in the future.

San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Azul Beach--we last stayed there 6 years ago and loved it. There have been lots of improvements since then and the resort has only gotten better! Our entire family went for a week, and between us we had 2 family suites and 2 deluxe rooms. The family suites are new and are AWESOME! Very spacious and clean. The bathroom was huge, with 2 sinks, separate toilet, separate shower and a jacuzzi tub. The parents "room" has sliding dividers to separate it from the kids sleeping in the living area (the L shaped couch becomes an L shaped bed, with a trundle, so can sleep up to 3). There is a large flat screen TV in the living area and a smaller flat screen in the parent area. A word of advice--while the resort's website advertises DVD players in all rooms (and there are), the DVD players are country specific, so our USA DVDs wouldn't play in them. There is no setting or anything to change this. They do have some DVDs you can borrow at the front desk, but they were mostly in Spanish. So, bring your own DVD player if you think you'll need it. The satellite had about 5 or 6 English channels. Not that you spend much time watching TV, but during "rest time" we did. Back to the room. The room also had a small dining table with 4 chairs, a nice sized balcony & good closet space. There is a hair dryer, magnifying mirror & iron in the room. The room also has a mini-fridge, stocked with sodas, bottled water and beer. Maid service was excellent--we had plenty of towels, were given plenty of bottled waters & everything was kept clean. The air conditioning in the rooms is great, not only keeping it cool but dry. There was no humidity in the room at all, which is rare in tropical locales! Our swimsuits would hang dry overnight! Some of the family suites are "swim-ups"--the back patio opens onto the pool with a ladder (can be gated off). We didn't have these, but they seemed to be popular. I was very impressed at how quiet it was. Despite being surrounded by families, you can't hear them through the walls. The only time we heard our neighbors was when they were in the breezeway.

The resort itself is bigger than 6 years ago, but still not huge or overwhelming. The beaches are nice and the beach beds rock! You do have to sign up the day before to get a beach bed, but it's well worth it. The beach, pools & restaraunts never felt crowded! Often we were the only ones in the ocean or the pool (there are lots of them).

The beach is very nice--there was quite a bit of seaweed, but they work constantly to clean it up and keep the sand clear. The beach butlers are very attentive. There are sand toys available to borrow, as well as boogie boards, etc. We took our snorkel masks, and there are some fish, etc. to see, but not tons. You can walk up the beach quite a ways in either direction (they are public) passing private residences and other resorts. (One word of caution--the next resort down to the right as you're facing the ocean is a completely clothing-free resort.) The pools are numerous and pristine. There is even a pool that is only 1 1/2 ft deep, perfect for the really little ones!

The staff is wonderful and attentive to adults and kids alike. Anything you want, you get, if it's within their power. Everyone is so friendly--you are always greeted with a smile and an "hola!". They have a good group of people handling the "entertainment"--there was lots to do (beach volleyball, beach soccer, beach golf, water balloon fights, kite lessons, stretching on the pier, salsa lessons, ceviche/guacamole making demonstrations to name a few) & whether they passed you on the sidewalk or sought you out on the beach or in the pool they made sure you knew & had the opportunity to participate. Many activities offered prizes to the winner.

They have Azulitos Kids Club. While we never left our kids there, (which you can do and it appears to be quite secure) we did go in to check it out and get the kids faces painted. It's a really nice facility with gym equipment, video games, toys, etc. and lots of activities. The staff was friendly and inviting. I was quite impressed that despite having only met us that one time, whenever we saw the staff from kids club on property, my children were greeted by name.

My sister and I had a massage at tha spa, and it was very nice. A word of advice--if you're thinking of getting a massage, wait till the spa staff approaches you on the beach or by the pool. They will offer you a free 5 minute sample massage, and then offer you special deals for the spa, which were by far the best value (we had a 50 minute massage for $92 each which included all of the fees and taxes). The gym is also nicely sized, well-equipped and very clean.

The restaraunts are great! There is a good kids menu, which while always the same offers plenty of options for the kiddos (cheeseburgers, macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.) and of course they can always order off of the regular menu, too. My youngest has a swallowing condition & there were plenty of options for her as well! The staff will make every attempt to prepare food any way you ask for it & to honor special requests. For breakfast you can order off of the menu or just choose from the HUGE breakfast buffet. Both are excellent. Lunches and dinners are off the menu. We ate at just about every restaraunt, and they were all very good to excellent. Roma, the Italian restaraunt, was my favorite (mmmm...chocolate cannoli!) by a slim margin.

The bars are also good, serving mostly premium liquors. The house wines are just so-so (I'm a wine drinker), but if it really bugs you, there is a wine list with better wine choices available for an extra charge. The Agavero Tequila Lounge for ages 18 and up has tons of tequilas for you to sip and sample, as well as all other liquors, wines & beers, sometimes that cannot be found in the other bars.

They have shows every night. We attended the African King (kids got to go up on stage and dance with the performers!) & the fire show. Both were great. Other members of our party attended other shows and liked them. My kids enjoyed the disco party on the beach.

The resort has wi-fi, but for a fee. It was $10/day or $25/3 days. I'm not sure if there was an option for longer. The login is for only one device. This was kind of a bummer--you'd think wi-fi would be included in an all-inclusive resort, but I understand this is kind of the status quo down there.

There is probably so much more to tell, but this should give you an idea of what a fantastic place this was! We left after our 7 day stay relaxed & well rested. We can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: If you have kids, go for the family suites!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager en Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma at Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel , firstly I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. Your feedback is truly valued and I'm glad that we were able to provide you and your family with a wonderful family vacation.

It was a pleasure to host your holiday at the Azul Beach Hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just came back from an amazing 5 day vacation at Azul Beach Hotel with our 9.5 month old daughter! From the staff members to the food to the suite, everything was nearly perfect! The concierge and servers in the restaurants always had a smile for our little girl and took the time to talk to her (as much as you can talk to a 9.5 month old :)) We requested special dishes for our daughter (ie. grilled fish no seasoning, plain rice, etc) for every meal and were never made to feel as if it was a nuisance. I loved that we never had to wait for a table for any of the meals, which was great especially at dinner time, as our little girl gets fussy after 7pm. We also loved the fact that there was always a clean high chair for our daughter!

All our needs and wants were anticipated and met before we even asked! David made sure our Fisher Price Family Suite was fully stocked with a change table/bath tub, playpen, bottle warmer and sterilizer, crib and toys upon our arrival. The service at Blue restaurant was by far the best! Antonio and another gentleman (whose name escapes me at the moment) were the friendliest and best servers. By the second day, they had fresh pineapple juice for me a few minutes after we sat down for breakfast :) The only issue we experienced with the restaurant is that the restaurant hours should be posted in front. One night, we waited 10 minutes inside Tainan restaurant, only to find out the restaurant was closed that night (Monday). I'm not sure why the door was unlocked.

As for the beach, we barely spent any time there. The palapas have to be reserved the day before at 3pm and we seem to always miss the deadline. The palapas take up most of the beach, but there are loungers and umbrellas for those who couldn't secure a palapa. We didn't care much to spend our time on the beach. There was quite a bit of seaweed on the shore and in the water. We spent most of our time in the pool by Villa 9. It was always empty because it was not attached to a bar :) It was perfect to swim in with our daughter.

The food was pretty good. If you are expecting authentic Asian, Latino or Italian foods, this is not the resort for you. We enjoyed the food and the different spin on each of these cuisines. I really liked the Caribbean Cocktail from the CHIL restaurant and ordered it many many times :) We also really liked the Chef's Appetizer from the Latino restaurant, minus the salad.

The only upsetting experience was when we were misled into attending an appointment about the Prestige Traveler program. A concierge staff member asked us if we would be interested in giving our opinions about the resort, as Karisma was trying to achieve 5 diamond status. We were told it would only take a few minutes of our time and we would be compensated with a complimentary 30 mins. couples massage or a candlelight dinner for two. We set-up an appointment and when we showed up, we were told this was a presentation about the Prestige Traveler program and it would take an hour! We politely went along with it hoping we'd be able to give our opinions about the resort, but no such opportunity came up. For almost an hour, we listened to the benefits of the Prestige Traveler program, while our little girl was getting fussier by the minute and the sales person did not seem to care.

Other than that little hiccup, we had a fabulous time and would recommend it to anyone looking for a family/baby-friendly vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers , i enjoyey reading your feedback and i'm happy you had a great vacation at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our Perfect Wedding Resort April 25th 2013.
My husband and I booked this resort for our wedding, we took 20 guests with us from England, 2 from Canada, and none of us were disappointed.
After a very shaky start by the tour operator ('Thomsons', a 24hr delay in Manchester, not enjoyable) we arrived at our hotel.
The moment our coach pulled up outside it took our breath away, the view out to the ocean from the lobby was dazzling. Gorgeous, clear blue sea, sunshine, picture postcard romantic setting.
This resort is a small piece of heaven, the pictures simply do not do it justice.

Each guest was spoken with in the foyer upon arrival, our member of staff was Ismael, he was so polite, helpful and friendly. We each chose the firmness of our bed pillows and the scent for our room, sprayed each evening by Lesvia, our wonderful maid.

Our on-site wedding co-ordinator, Miroslava came to meet us just to say hello. She was a real treasure. I couldn't have gotten through the day without her.

We were upgraded, to our astonishment, to a suite, in the new block, our room was situated above one of the swim-up rooms, very quiet and beautiful.

All of the staff at this resort are an absolute credit to the hotel and company, they cannot do enough for you, your wish is their command. No matter how busy they are, they always smile and make suggestions for wonderful cocktails.

Benjamin was a one of the cheery waiters at the bar, he was awesome, so funny and seemed to appear just as your glass got empty.

Josua (nick name Mickey Mouse) was one of the entertainment co-ordinator's, he was a great sport, offering sports or entertainment to suit each of us.

Breakfast each day is buffet style, you'll meet a fantastic lady, who I feel goes unnoticed cooking/frying eggs on an individual basis, Edith, she is lovely, smiling and laughing, getting everyone's order just right.

Our wedding was perfect, on the beach with gorgeous oranges and hot pinks. The guests stood and clapped and the moment was captured forever in our hearts.
The evening meal in the Blue Restaurant was private for the 22 of us and absolutely perfect.
Our guests surprised us with wonderful champagne, fruit and cheeses for our return to the room, with our lovely bubbly bath and rose petals on the floor, it was such a dream.
We enjoyed a wonderful Lobster Meal for two in one of the cabana's one evening as a gift from a wonderful couple who joined us for our experience. Juan Jose was our waiter, he was fantastic.

I can recommend this Hotel to anyone planning a wedding, wanting a holiday for fun and adventure or to relax, you get more than you pay for.

We all want to go again, we all hope to make it back in 5yrs for our anniversary if not before.

Don't miss out, this should be on everyone's 'to do' list.

No hard sell for trips from staff, no hassle, just pure pleasure.
simple AWESOME x

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your review , I'm very hapy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and was part of your special celebration. We work to make all wedding dreams come true.

We hope to see you again , maybe to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary.

Best Regards and I will you a lifetime of happiness

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently stayed at Azul Beach from June 21st-27th. This was our 2nd stay at Azul Beach and 3rd stay at a Karisma Resort. Not much has changed since our last stay in July of 2012, but here are the few things I did notice that were different from last time.

-LOTS more people this time of year than late July.
-Big line each day to get beach beds and large groups of people on each one vs. just one family. -Slower waits for food/service at the Blue restaurant for lunch and dinner.
-There is no longer a self-serve ice cream machine by the Bubbles Bar area.

We stayed in a Family Swim-Up Suite in Villa 9. We were in Villa 11 on the 2nd floor last time. I highly suggest bringing bug spray for your family as the mosquitos were worse this year than last, but I figured it was the price to pay to have a Swim-Up room. Other bugs seen this time only were a cockroach (dying) in the bathroom and a large spider (5" in diameter) also in the bathroom (alive). I think if you have a floor-level room then there will be a small amount of bugs to deal with whereas an upstairs room is usually bug-free.

The kids LOVED being able to jump in the pool from the room and swim up to the bar to get a shake. Villa 9 has access to the Bubbles bar. It was especially nice our last day to be able to swim before checking out. There was a lot of noise from the room upstairs so the ceiling is pretty thin. I suggest bringing something to block it out like a white noise player.

The weather was fantastic while we were there. Did not rain once. The beach was great and half the time the water was very clear, but the other half it was a bit murky and brown in color. The beach items to be used by the guests at the beach hut are limited because most people don't bring the snorkels, etc. back when they are done. They could use a larger supply and include sizes for kids and adults.

Beach butlers were very friendly and always there to get you a drink or anything else you needed. Lots of fun activities as well including a mechanical bull on the beach! Even the kids got to ride which was fun to watch. The best was the funny horse mask that some people wore to ride the bull.

For the restaurants, Latin, Roma and Chil were superb for food and service. The waiters there are funny, friendly and always on top of everything. The food at Blue is great as well, but the service was just too slow. Tainen, the sushi restaurant, had the worst service out of all of them so we only went there once.

We sent the kids to the spa on the last day for the Pink Princess package and the ladies there were great. It was ~$90/ea. They got a massage/scrub plus a manicure and pedicure and got to keep their headbands and face masks plus some lotion and a ribbon to take home.

Entertainment was fun as before, but some shows were different this year. The Michael Jackson show was the BEST. So much fun. The new show was the Africa Show which had songs from the Lion King, Tarzan and Rio (not in Africa, but no matter). Lots of audience interaction which was great for the kids.

We avoided the "travel club" sales pitch (they send you notes and call you daily about it), but did take advantage of the Karisma Welcome Back program. With each stay at their resorts, you get a Welcome gift. Started to confuse it with the travel club calls, but we did have champagne and food waiting for us upon arrival in our room, plus t-shorts for the kids and some other items to take home.

BIG fan of the Karisma resorts and Azul Beach. I would not hesitate to go back year after year with the kids. Just hope they don't outgrow it too soon. Definitely would get a bit sheltered for a teenager and more suited for toddlers and little kids.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Villa 9 has direct access to Bubbles Bar from the Swim-Up Rooms. Ground floor = more bugs and noise...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experiences and its good to know that there was so much you enjoyed about the Azul Beach Hotel.

Again many thanks and I hope to see you very soon at the Azul Beach Resort

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have now been to Mexico and stayed at all-inclusive (AI's) resorts 7 times in the last 10 years. This was the best overall experience of all those. Not sure what five star is but it seems this is awfully close with only a few little things that could have been better to be perfect. I did give it 5 stars, but that because it's certainly better than 4 stars and there is no other option. Previously, we thought the Iberostar Riviera Maya couldn't be beat, we were wrong. The others we've stayed at were the Sunset Princess and the Riu Palace. I would rank the Azul Beach the best, then the Iberostar, then a pretty good drop off to Sunset Princess and Riu Palace. Note, we use Amy Lewis at Beach Bum Vacations, amy@beachbumvacation.com or 1-877-943-8282 ext 27. We have used several travel agents for past vacations and she was by far the best. She ensured everything was taken care, got us the best prices, arranged several "surprises" for us, etc. Absolutely recommend her. We traveled with our 6 year old daughter and 3 year old son for 7 nights. Now for a detailed review of Azul Beach, hopefully I'll touch on all the components that matter:

Food-This is a gourmet all-inclusive and they aren't kidding. The food was amazing. Everything freshly made and tons of great variety. I felt like I was out at a nice restaurant every night. No buffets except for breakfast. But breakfast had made to order and buffet, so you had a choice. And by the way, the buffet was very good (better than the other AI we've been to). I'm not a foodie, but I certainly like to eat good food....and this was just awesome. We ate at each restaurant. Breakfast at Blue. Lunch at both Blue and Chill. We preferred Chill, food seemed a little better and a larger selection of what we wanted. For dinner, we ate at Blue, Roma, Latina, and Tainan (Japanese). We didn't eat dinner at Chill. Everyone's tastes are different, but I like seafood and poultry over red meat. For me, my dinners favorite was Latina, then Roma, then Blue then Tainan. Note that you do need to plan for at least an hour for dinner as the service does take it's time. So, if you plan to hit one of the shows at 8 or 9pm, plan for that. Also, it seemed the food and service was slightly better earlier than later. Finally, although there are plenty of options at each restaurant, you can also as for special order or things made a different way-don't be shy. Service is generally great and friendly. We did leave a small tip (couple of dollars) each time, but I'm sure the service would be great regardless. La Mancha grill-this was open from 10am to 5pm and is located between Blue and Tainan just off the beach and pool. They served made to order grilled sandwiches, fajitas, quesadillas, smoothies, and had other snacks (cookies, popcorn, marshmallows, fruit, etc). We made several trips here each day while hanging out at the beach/pool.

Room Service-just like the restaurants, the food was great, the service was prompt. Don't be afraid to get room service, you won't be disappointed.

Bar/Drinks-as with most AI's , there is an endless opportunity to drink, starting in the morning and continuing through late night. In addition, they will make just about any kind of drink you can come up with. During the morning and afternoon, beach butlers were covering all areas of the beach and pools. There were generally three, one for each end of the beach and one for the pools. They were generally prompt and friendly. They general stop their service around 3pm. We especially like Armando and Reveka. Note, they each switch to a different location each day, so if you have a favorite, you'll have to follow them around or wait a few days for them to come back. We usually tipped a couple dollars, but again this isn't required. If you don't want to wait, it is a very short walk to the bar by the beach/pool. Javier was the best bartender at that location. The tequila bar (with the frozen bar) was cool and relaxed. The Tequila Sunrise there was the best. We didn't try the bubbles bar. Also, I should note that no matter how many drinks I have had in the past (10-15...)I never seemed to feel "buzzed" at the other resorts. This was not the case here, I definitely felt the alcohol here, I assume because they used more (or less watered down) alcohol in their drinks (or maybe I'm just getting old and my tolerance is going down).

Beach-One of the main reason we choose a resort in Mexico is the beach. As with the other resorts along the Riviera Maya region (south of Cancun and north of Playa del Carmen), the sand and water are spectacular. The Azul Beach did have seaweed (small pieces), but it really wasn't a big deal. It was most prevalent in the morning and late afternoon. They did have employees working to rake it up each day. The sand was clean and cool (white and fine). The beach had plenty of room for us, but it isn't huge. However, this is a small resort and it never felt crowded. In fact, one of the best things about this resort was there was never a need to get up early and "reserve" a beach or pool chair, there were always plenty available. I was told, the resort was only 60% full during our stay, so it could be more crowded when more full, but "d say far less than 50% of the available beach and pool chairs were being used at a given time. Unlike other AI's there is no towel card. Get as many as you want whenever you want (assuming they are available-more on that in a minute). They have about 12 beach cabanas (wonderful covered beds) on the beach. These were amazing and helped to put this beach ahead of the others. There is a system to reserve one each day, but this is an area where Amy our travel agent helped out-be sure to ask for her help. Safe to say, we had a beach cabana everyday and never had to wait in line to "reserve" one. The beach cabana staff were Joan, Fernando, and Isreal. All were great, very friendly and very helpful. I did leave them a small tip a few times, when they helped carry our beach "stuff" to the cabana, etc. The beach area on the right side seemed better than the left side (right when facing the ocean from the resort). The water was very shallow for a good distance and there were very few rocks (some coral in spots). No problem walking/swimming. There is good snorkeling right there, especially by the dock. Waves were very small, as there is a coral reef a mile or so offshore with takes all the energy away from the incoming waves, so not much left for the beach. The water was crystal clear everyday except our last two days (unsettled weather out at sea caused some extra turbidity). There was a backset of beach toys available each day at the beach cabana location-no need to bring your own. Also, unlike the other resorts, the beach was great at night, we'll lit, everything open-great place to hang out and romantic. We had perfect weather the entire week, sunshine every day and no rain. This is of course is lucky, but early to mid June is generally a good time weatherwise as hurricane season hasn't really gotten cranked up yet.
Pools-Lots of smaller pools. Unlike Iberostar or other AI's, there is a gargantuan central pool throughout the entire resort. Instead there are several smaller pool areas. We spent most of our time at the kids pool, which was a simple staircase above our daily beach cabana location-very convenient. The kids loved the pool. Most of the time, we were the only family at the pool or one of only a couple. Never crowded, always plenty of room/lounge chairs. Everyone was friendly and the kids made several friends. The pool got pretty warm by the end of the day as well (probably a combination of the sun and kids...:) We also used the pool outside our swim up room (we were in Villa 9). this pool was great and we usually ended the day there after being on the beach and kids pool all day. Couple of things to note. This pool is not shallow, nearly 5 feet deep everywhere excepts the steps-be careful with younger/smaller kids.

Room-We had a family swim up suite. Amy our travel agent helped get us a free upgrade on our room-another nice touch from her. We were in Villa 9. The room was great, large and clean. It was also quiet. The king sized bed was by far the most comfortable of all the hotels we've slept in while in Mexico. The kids have their own beds which were part of the couch in the separate living room area. The bathroom was huge. Love the shower and the kids loved the tub. Dual sinks with roman fixture. Rain shower head and a jet shower head. Plenty of closet space (two large closets. Plenty of room for our luggage and clothes. Two flat screen TV's with about 25 channels. Large deck and seating area with two chairs and a large lounger chair. Note that our 3 year old was able to open the gate to the pool from the deck on his first try and without us showing him, so not the most secure situation and with the pool being 5 feet deep right there, could be pretty dangerous if you're not paying attention. I assume they put the pillows we picked and the scent we picked, but I wouldn't notice either way. However, the pillows were plenty comfortable, so no complaints. My wife did say she saw them spraying a scent in the room one of the days. Villa 9 has no view of the ocean, many of the other villas do. There was no smell in our room, except for the first time we used the shower, there was a smell of sulfur from the shower drain area that quickly dissipated and we didn't smell again.

Entertainment-There was nightly entertainments. Fire show on the beach first night, Dancing on the beach 2nd night, International Dancing 3rd night, Magic show 4th night, Michael Jackson 5th night, Live music 6th night, Africa show 7th night. Compared o the other "large" AI's, this was probably the weakest aspect of the resort. The entertainment room/stage was fairly small-not a big deal as there was still plenty of room, but I can imagine when the resort is more full this would be an issue. Bigger issue was there was no A/c in the room and it got very hot/sticky in there-uncomfortable. The chairs also need replacing or a makeover as many were fraying. Our kids like the Africa show, Michael Jackson, show, Magic show, and Fire show in that order.

Kids club-we went here a couple of time, mainly for specific activities (lizard making with beads, bracelet making, face painting, etc). It was very clean and tons of toys for all ages. Both kids loved it and were wanting to go back all the time. We never left our kids there, but I'm sure it would have been fine.

Check in-SPA like feel to the entrance. Open with view right to the ocean. Check in was a little slow since we were the only ones checking in, but not a big deal. Carolina Davis (sales manager) greeted us there as well and made it known she was available if we needed anything. Bus boys were great, most efficient of all resorts we've been to and helpful. There are two free internet ready computers near the check in location. We used these once a day and never had to wait. However, a resort at this price level should offer free wi fi throughout. Wi fi was available for a charge.

We didn't use the SPA-but it looked great. Note, they have representatives of the Spa out and about everyday offer free 5 minute massages and talking about services. We didn't take advantage of this but I'm sure they were great.

Towels-Special note on the towels. Apparently, they don't have an on-site laundry for the towels, so they begin to collect them early afternoon. So, if you leave some on a chair by the pool or beach, they will be taken away and they become harder to replace as the afternoon goes on. Best to put some personal items on them if you don't want them removed. Also, on one morning (Monday morning), there was an issue getting the towels back to the resorts, so none were available for the first hour or so taken after lunch. It just so happens that was the same morning they didn't have any ice (ice machine had stopped working overnight). They had to go by a bunch in town. And that was the same morning the beach was very turbid-so maybe there was something about Mondays....

Resort-the size of the resort was great, nice and small. Never took more than a minute or two to get to any spot. This was very nice compared to Iberostar or Sunset Princess. There are several general bathroom areas around the pools, restaurants, etc. All were very clean and modern. They were out of paper towels one of the days.

Concierge-Timeshare-we did not bother with a timeshare presentation and didn't use the concierge. We didn't do any excursions. We did have a note one da in our day offer free massage, dinner on the beach, resort credit, etc if we met with our concierge I assume for a timeshare presentation.

Olympus Tours was our transfer agent. They were great to and from the airport. However, both times I went to meet them to set up our return pickup, they weren't there. I just asked the concierge at the front check in area and he got it set up. Note, if you haven't been to the Cancun airport before, when you arrive and clear customs go directly outside without stopping to talk to any of the solicitors inside (unless that's what you want).

I would say a week at the resort is just about right, mainly because the shows repeat once a week and the food is basically the same, so you might begin to get bored or crave something different after a week.

Note that the wood on a couple of the walkways between the rooms/pools is dark and get very hot during the day.

So, again overall this was a great resort, very relaxing, great food, great service. There were only a few minor things that could have been improve t make it a true 5 star, but it was as close as it can get from all that we've experienced. Feel free to send me a note/question if I haven't touched on a subject you were hoping to read about. Enjoy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay.It was a pleasure to host your holiday at the Azul Beach Hotel and I hope that you will return again in the near future.

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Been to Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!