“not impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Crewe, United Kingdom
“not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Having recently returned ( 01/08/2012) from Azul Beach Hotel where my partner,son & myself attended my partners son's wedding which was outstanding , I'm only sorry that the same could not be said about the hotel . this is rated as 5 * in the brochure how I dont know,on arrival it seemed to take forever to book in, over 30 mins we were taken to our delux room, once settled we found that the shower room was small & there was mould on the wall also the terrace curtain & nets had mould on them. The main room ceiling light did not work,the main lights switch was loose & dangerous at the wall for all lights. We contacted reception to tell them of the problems who said they would sort them but nothing was done.The minibar was not always restocked as stated, bedding only changed once,complimentary shower gel, soaps etc.were removed from room on 2nd day & never replaced even though they hadn't been used . There were no drying facilities in the rooms so each evening we placed swimwear on the terrace chairs as did many other guest, but on our last day we had a letter left in room by the concierge asking us to refrain from doing this, there was nothing stating this should not be done in the room & only one other guest near our room had received a similar letter, no explaination was given when asked why.There was no information in the rooms as to what entertainment ( this was very poor anyway) there would be in the evenings. There wasn't a guide in the room to help find restaurants when you 1st arrive or nothing to tell that certain restaurants would be closed on different days so you couldn't plan on where to eat, must say food was fantastic . My partners son was in a luxury room on visiting him there was an unbelivable stench of sewage how can anywhere be classed as 5* with this smell all week. The beach was noting outstanding on checking the brochure it states sun cream supplied this was never offered or seen & only one day was there a coolbox with iced water on the beach where we sat. I wouldn't rate this hotel any more than 3*

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Edgar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have no idea what resort all these people stayed at, because my trip to the Azul Beach was less than impressive. Yes, it's a small boutique hotel and the grounds are nice, but the beach was nothing to write home about. This place is not well thought out -- the buildings are all compacted and gave the feeling that anyone or anything could be waiting around a dark corner. The "lazy rivers" connect to nothing, which makes zero sense. My husband was disappointed to find that the main pool by the beach no longer had a functional swim up bar. It definitely didn't seem that they had enough staff because there was no one taking drink orders. Once we asked Armando for a drink and he came back around empty handed and we asked again -- he apologized and told us he was drunk. The dinners were good, but again they don't have enough staff to have them open every night. Met people who reported having things "walk" out of their rooms -- jewelry and cash. Rooms were nice but tiny, and housekeeping was poor. We had dirty glasses from the prior guests and it took days for the cleaning lady to take away an empty ice bucket and glasses. I've definitely stayed at better family resorts in Mexico and won't be back to Azul Beach.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I just came back from Azul and love it! I'm going to be short on my review.
This hotel is for families so if you have kids all ages this is the hotel for you, I saw a few couples with no kids and they were doing OK. Food is good. Sushi, Italian is good also the breakfast buffet- We had the two bedroom suite and loved it with the kids in the other side of the villa. Next time I will get the 3 Bd.Very clean. No complaints. Tip!!

u k
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

we have just returned on the 1 aug 2012 from azul beach been to our grandsons wedding having read all the reviews we expected the wow facter when we were shown to the room it was just the opposite the decor and furneshing are of a poor standing and need upgrading to make them into 4star. the bathroom which is to small to even have a shower in comfort .
if you do want a bath you will have to upgrade which will cost you quite a large amount .
my grandson had one off luxery rooms when we went to look at his room which very nice but when you looked out there was no view only looking at the rooms opposite no sea view and the smell of sewerage is unforgiveble when we asked about the smell all they could we are working on it considering that this is a new build the excuse is not good enough

Room Tip: standard room have a sea view but poor luxury rooms have no sea view
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I never normally write reviews but had too after this experience. I travelled to Mexico with a partner and 3 yound adults aged 17, 16, 14 and booked into the Sensotori. Had booked a sea view and requested to be next door and we could only have 2 rooms. Yes as normal for me, no sea view and not next door anyway after a long flight accepted it. Because we were put in a block that was between 2 pools it seemed to be a walkway in the evening and at 3 oclock in the morning to hear voices and the sound of womens heels against a floor that echoed 3 times as loud i was not impressed by the first night. Anyway I did not complain as i normally lose my temper with incompetant staff so my partner went along at 8am the next morning and started to make a complaint the way she does things. She spoke to Nick the Thomson rep who was brilliant and gave us 3 options one being transferred to Azul Beach but he did say it was quieter and mainly for young families. Anyway we went to Azul Beach and were offered a Honeymoon suite with sea view, well we were blown away. A amazing room probably the best hotel that i have stayed in for holiday purposes. As we were only supposed to be there 4 days we accepted this and the yound adults were given a family suite which was excellent as well. We so enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, gourmet food and facilities that me and my partner hoped to stay here. After the 4 days we were then given the option to stay which was excellent so we carried on our amazing experience at the Azul Beach.
As for the hotel we were given options for pillows and also scented aromas for our room on arrival so was such a good start. The food here is excellent, mainly all ala carte. The room service food was great and available anytime, the breakfast i had one morning was unbeleievable. I did use the Spa and the massages were great and not too badly priced. A girl called Lorena has the strongest female hands i think i ever have had to pleasure of. Staff generally were excellent, Almondo was a star bloke but Maribel did not smile much. Facilities here are great with beach side cabanas available and the sea weed was mimimal for our stay. There was beach volleyball with Cheena who i found a bit strange and water polo as well but otherwise for toddlers and yound kids there were so many things to do. Our kids were bored a bit sometimes but just chilled out mainly. Took a trip Xel-Hi which was ok but they did bugger up our transfer so watch who you book with. So if your looking for a totally utterly relaxing holiday with young children this is perfection, if you have older kids they might be bit bored but more kids of there own age might be there at the same time. It strikes me that this hotel is generally half empty so if you like this sort of things then book this hotel now. After this experience for me I would probably go back which for me has never happened in the past

Room Tip: We stayed in room 801 which was amazing
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have to say that most All-inclusive resorts have food that can be very "average". This is NOT the case at the Azul Beach. The food here is fantastic. The beach is not rocky,and looks like the pictures, and that staff will do just about anything to ensure a wonderful stay. My 4 year old LOVED the kids club. If you are looking for a resort where the staff knows your name by the 2nd day, this is it. All the restaurants are beautifully decorated and interesting. I felt very safe on property with my little ones. The SPA is the BEST that I have been to. I have stayed at Iberastar Grand and many other hotels, and nothing compares to this spa.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I took our 1.5 year old to Azul Beach for a week early July. In summary, we were extremely happy with the resort and would vacation there again - without hesitation.

From the moment we arrived we were very well taken care of. The airport is only 20 minutes away from the airport hence you are almost guaranteed to be the first stop on the chartered minibus that transfers tourists from Cancun Airport.

Check-in was very easy and the front desk staff are lovely and at attentive. Some of the little ‘extras’ at check-in were the option to select the scent for out room, the pillow type as well the option to borrow toys from a Fisher Price catalogue, which went a loooong way to occupy our son while in the room.

The resort is comprised of two sections: the original deluxe villas 1 – 6 and the newer section villas 1 to 12. We stayed in Villa 8 and had an upper room with a partial ocean view. In our opinion, for families with kids it’s worth the money to upgrade to a swim-up room so that you can have some quiet pool time when kids are napping. Our room was very large and modern, comprised of a bedroom area, a TV area and a large vanity area with an open Jacuzzi tub. It was tastefully decorated and had two flat screen TVs as well as two air-con units.

We really liked the size of the resort because the large 'all-inclusive' resorts really don't appeal to us. Azul Beach is on the smallish boutique size, which allowed us to comfortably walk to all amenities including all pools, restaurants, concierge, gym etc. The size also adds certain coziness to the resort and adds to the boutique feel. There is no need to reserve chairs or otherwise have to compete with other guests for amenities. By Day 3 most of the staff there knew us, which made our experience more personal and enjoyable. We had to call concierge about a couple of minor issues in our room and the response was prompt and effective.

The food and restaurant atmosphere was certainly one of the highlights of our trip. Food was AMAZING, restaurants gorgeous, wait staff so friendly! :o) What made the experience perfects alongside the quality of the food was the willingness of staff to accommodate young kids. For example, they always ask if they can bring something for the little one first. There is a choice of 4 restaurants, each specializing in a different regional cuisine. We particularly liked the Italian and the Latin restaurants, but had good meals at the Asian one, as well. The fourth restaurant we only had lunch at, because two of the nights it was converted as reception/dining area for the two weddings that took place during our seven day stay.

In terms of amenities, the pools were abundant, extremely clean and well maintained..just like the resort grounds on a whole. The gym was small, but well appointed with modern equipment. We did not take advantage of the spa, but it seemed very nice as well. There are two bars and an after-hours tequila lounge/club that provide ample opportunities for refreshments and entertainment given the size of the resort. There are nightly shows which aren't tacky like some other resorts and beach volleyball, but no loud music and animation staff – a huge plus for us.

We spent a lot of time at Azulitos, the kids club as my son just loved it. The girls who work here are so sweet and I really enjoyed chatting with them.

The beach is nice, with ample sand and lounging space, albeit a tad rough at times. As others have mentioned, there is seaweed at this time of year but that is natural and unavoidable plus the resort staff do their best to clean it.

On the negative side, there was some seasonal renovation work done that was at times noisy, especially around mid day, but I don’t think it would last long given the scope of it and it didn’t bother us that much even with the close proximity.

In summary, this resort is perfect if you are the right clientele; i.e. have small children, or are a couple looking for a quiet and relaxing vacation (and don’t mind small children), or are a part of a wedding party. I believe the kid-friendliness, quietness, quaintness, physical beauty, excellent food and amenities would appeal to the types mentioned. At the same time, I think the resort may be perceived as 'lacking' by tourists who are looking for more of a boisterous, party atmosphere.

I have already told all my friends with families that they MUST go here, and we are trying to find a couple of families to go with us again next year.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade to the newer rooms, do so as it's definitely worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!