“Great resort for what they are trying to do!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Prince Albert, SK, CA
“Great resort for what they are trying to do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Just got back March 11/12 after 7 days with my wife and two kids, aged 9 and 6. Overall a great experience at this resort. We have been to the El Dorado Royale Casitas four times over the last nine years and felt it was time to take the kids along to share our Mexico with them. As other reviews stated it is very small but the beach and ocean are good (not great) and there are always plenty of loungers for everybody. Food at all restartaunts is excellent with the Tainan (Asian) being our favorite. The breakfast buffett at Blue is very good but gets old pretty quick. You can order off the menu for breakfast which we did a couple times which was excellent. At the end of the beach by Chil they set up a lunch buffet (three times while we where there) and it was different every time.

Our 6 year old had a fantastic time at the Kid's Club and met another girl her age the first day and basically they were inseperable for the rest of the trip. We felt absolutely safe leaving our kid there - no issues what so ever, end of story. Out 9 year old lasted about an hour in there and he was bored so he hung out with us for the trip.

I have to give credit to the Azul Beach for what they are trying to do. They are catering to young families and newly weds in a boutique environment hotel with all a la carte dining. Not an easy task to do. From what I could see all weddings went smoothly and it looked like a great place to get married.

The families there looked like they were having as much fun as they could with young children and in the restaraunts it was kind of funny to see these parents of infants trying to shovel in their food while the baby was screaming. We didn't mind the crying as we knew what we were getting our sevles into but if you are looking for the El Dorado Royale experience here, (romantic, quiet dinners) don't bother, this is not the resort for you. It is also a very quiet resort at night and we didn't leave our room past 8:00 pm as we were all beat.

I can see how some reviewers didn't like this resort if you are just going for a vacation without kids. There are kids everywhere and a little research would have indicated that.

Overall a flawless vacation in a resort that lives up to what it claims to be.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I just wanted to start off saying this will be a long review!

First of all, We booked this through a travel agent based out of Florida. They got us a good deal for 5day vacation. We decided to upgrade at FULL PRICE for 2 more days. The catch was we had to attend the timeshare meeting for 2 hours. No big deal, we were kind of interested to see what it was all about. All in all, very cheap deal. We were getting the Junior jacuzzi suite, in ADULT only section. We do not have kids and did not want to be around kids. We arrived at 7pm March1 and were to return march 8. Everything was going great until the driver passed Azul Sensatori and dropped us at Azul Beach. This was about 745pm and it was dark. We had no idea what was going on. I had not even ever heard of it. After almost 2.5 hours of talking, Gustavo of Exotic Travelers (timeshare company) told me Sensatori was sold out and take Azul Beach or leave the hotel and go somewhere else. I was extremely angry and we were starving and soon realized the restaurants were about to close. We luckily got in and decided to forget about it until tomorrow.

The food at the restaurant was very good and the service was great! Our room was extremely small and they put us in the deluxe room right in front of the restaurants and bars, Villa 6. The room was ok but not what we paid for or expected. There was no hot water in our room because the sink and shower needed maintenance. It was also extremely loud because it was literally right next to the Italian, Asian, Latino and outdoor bar. We got only 3 hours of sleep due to this.

The next day we got on the phone with our travel agency and they basically told me they could not do anything. I asked Gustavo to move us to El Dorado Royale because Sensatori was sold out. He said he could not do that. After reading these reviews online he obviously lied. After spending hours trying to fix it we tried to forget about it and enjoy the beach and relax.

We quickly noticed that this was a kid resort. In fact, they advertise as a babies and toddler friendly place. THIS WAS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOUNG MARRIED WITH NO KIDS. We tried to forget about it because we were stuck, but the damage was done and the whole spirit of the trip was ruined. After breakfast and lunch, I finally got Gustavo to move us to Sensatori, but it would not be until Saturday later afternoon. It would not be in the ADULT section because they were sold out. There goes our 2 days at full price!!

About Azul Beach, this place has good to great food and excellent service. We had one problem with Alfonso at the front check-in. He called Sensatori and complained about us while we were sitting there. Not a smart move being that my wife speaks Spanish. Other that that, I would only recommend it to young married with kids or large families travelling together. The facilities are pretty clean and has excellent landscaping. The downfalls are the beach and night life. There is not much to do at night. A lot of the beach activities get cancelled due to wind. Apparently, this whole area gets a ton of wind in March. I will not go back to this area in March. The beach is basicly non-existent and has a TON of seaweed. The outdoor cabanas are really nice though. Definitely avoid walking south of the resort because you will run into a nude club called Desire. Yes, all nude and only a large home stands between Azul Beach and it. Not good for a walk with small kids!!

Ok, now Saturday is upon us and we are moving to Sensatori. We were unable to unpack our stuff because were in limbo the whole time at Azul Beach. We had to wait until 345pm before they finally gave up on our Azul Sensatori transfer and they called a cab. Surprisingly, they did pay for it! We got to Sensatori and had to wait in a large line to check-in. No prob, they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite overlooking the beach. Everyone here at check-in was nice and helpful, no issues here. When I got to the room, I quickly noticed that we had ants everywhere. Now, there was no way I was moving again due to the issues and they were allegedly booked solid. I called down and they came up and fumigated the next day while were out on the beach. When we got back, I didn't see anymore ants so good to go. By day 3 after they fumigated they were all back so problem not solved. Ants, ants, and more ants!

About Azul Sensatori.

I rate the beach very poor. Too much seaweed. According to locals, the hurricanes have destroyed the reef in this area causing too much seaweed. We also experienced 15-25 mile winds with probably 35mph gusts. If you want to hang on the beach you will be pelted in the face with sand. Now neither are the hotel's fault but just a warning. They do clean up the beach but the diesel machines they use pollute the air making it kind of hard to be anywhere near them.

I rate the pools excellent. They are great. You can swim everywhere and there are plenty of swim-up bars. The pool service and waiters were excellent as well.

The nightlife is very good as well. They had a casino night, good music, the entertaiment crew were very good as well. The bartenders were great and did a good job.

The restaurants I rate as very average. The service here is not half as good as Azul Beach hotel. The food was ok. I did not enjoy Le Chique or Tapas. Read other reviews to learn about those 2

The room was excellent other than the ants and the wind. You could not enjoy the patio out of fear you will be blown off. lol

Overall, I had to rate Azul (both hotels) POOR due to the bait and switch tactics, Alfonso at Azul Beach Hotel being extremely rude and Gustavo from the Exotic Travellers did not help the situation. Had Azul Beach upgraded us or been nice, we may have just stayed there and dealt with the kid situation. Here is a warning, if you like the beach avoid most of the hotels in the Riverra Maya area between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. Littered with seaweed. There hotels are halfway between Cancun and Playa so we were able to visit both places via shuttle van very cheaply. We found Playa to be more traditional Mexican and Cancun to be more American. Both places have fantastic beaches and we visited there to enjoy the beach since these Azul beaches were so bad. Due to these issues we will not come back to a Karisma hotel unless they are willing to call me and make it right. I wrote this review because we have not received any calls from Karisma corp and I ripped them on their survey asking for a call but nothing so far. Please respond with a number or an email address so I can get in contact with you.

Room Tip: Based on my reviews and others, I would stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Azul Beach Resort. This resort really caters to families especially small children. The size was great- only 98 room in 2 story villas which had a very intimate feel. Everything was close which was great for mobility. We actually got upgraded to a Family Junior suite which was beautiful but the regular junior suite would have been just as nice for us. The deluxe is decent aswell but a little small for a family of four.

The food was delicious, always a ton of options and better than most all inclusives. It is all al la carte so was a little chalenging with little ones at dinner. But the good thing is -- most familys have the same issue so if your kid is having a slight temper tantrum in the resturant- you dont feel awkward nor do you get the "looks"! Our favorite was thte Latin Resturant but all were very good. I didnt really like the Tainan but I dont really like asian food in general. Due to the fact its a la carte except the BLUE resturant which has some buffet options. The CHIL wasa great for grilled lunches. The food was amazing for a resort. I felt the choices for kids were a little limited.

Beach was small but perfect for small children. You do need to line up by 2:30pm to reserve a beach bed which filled up fast but perfect for napping on the beach. The Cabana boys were great aswel as the waitressess. The weather when we were there wasnt great- the beach was very windy but apparently the weather was off that week. The wind blew alot of seaweed on the beach but the guys worked hard to clean it every day. It didnt really bother us at all.

The pools especailly the little kids pool was great. Its 2 feet deep and really relaxing.

I used the Vassa Spa for a Tropical Wrap and Massage and it was beautiful. Nothing like getting a massage overlooking the ocean.

My kids liked the kids club- but my 4 year old didnt want to stay and I couldnt leave my 2 year old in there without one of us which was fine. You can get babsitting for $15/hour or $30/hour at night if you wanted. We didnt as we wanted to spend as much time with the kiddies as possible. I think they would have had a blast once they are a little older. They did participate in some activities with our supervision. They had a great puppet show one day and a pinata party at night.

We didnt make it to any shows at all. The resort is very quiet by 10pm. Its great because you dont get the "drunken riff-raff" at the usual all inclusives that sit at the pool bar all day with thier insulated cups, which is a nice change. The drinks were always great! i loved the mojiotos. There is a smoothie bar aswell which we loved.

OVerall this was a great resort!

Room Tip: Junior or Family suite is ideal for Families of 4 or more
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

In October 2010 after about six years of dating, my fiancé and I started planning our destination wedding. We have a 3 year old daughter, so when looking for all-inclusive resorts to host our wedding at we noticed that not many resorts are “children friendly”. While working with the destinationweddings.com team, I came across this resort & was very impressed with what I saw. Of course coming from working in the hospitality industry for over 10 years and running a hotel for three of them, I really like to do research on places to visit (especially since this would be our wedding location). To make a long story short, my expectations were very much exceeded upon arrival. The resort is beautiful and the staff is beyond any that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. We has also the pleasure of working with Janet & Angelica (Wedding Coordinators on site; and Elizabeth which is the wedding coordinator off site). They were all the best and took care of everything (the bouquets & flowers were way better than I could have wished for)! They were all so nice and professional & eased any “wedding day stress” that most brides experience on their special day. Our ceremony was on the beach, but due to high winds the day of our wedding; we were advised maybe to move our reception to the ballroom. The ballroom was beautiful! Most resorts would not have even offered to move the reception due to the winds and just had our guests deal with it, but the fact that they went over and above to recommend it prior to the start of the wedding to make sure that everyone had a wonderful time shows that they really do care that you have a perfect wedding. We had about 30 people come down to the resort with us. In regards to the rooming situation (prior to some comments on here) ALL the rooms are gorgeous! From the deluxe suites (which most of our guests stayed in) to the junior suites (that we stayed in) every room had its own “special” quality about it. I never saw a room that I didn’t like or would not stay in. The Kids Club is wonderful & the nightly entertainment (which is my only regret) is that I booked my wedding on a Saturday and I am a big fan of Michael Jackson and the Saturday entertainment is a Michael Jackson performance which I heard was beyond awesome…don’t worry after my reception I made it to the show in time to get a picture taken with the cast!  I could probably write a book about this resort but to end this review, this resort is perfect to either have your wedding at or take a vacation with or without your kids (which we did travel with most couples that do not have children yet but could not tell or were not bothered by the children there). If you are looking for a place to have a “once in a lifetime” vacation and/or wedding at then the Azul Beach Resort is the place. The villas make it seem more special and not so much “Cancun style hotels” & the staff is even better than imagined! Thank you for making our wedding & our family and friends vacation one that they will never forget…we will ALL be back to visit soon! Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts!
–Heft Family Wedding & Vacation March 2012-

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Instead of staying in one of the mega high rise hotels or ones with elevators and lines this is the best choice. A chic boutique is an accurate description. Wow! Service was top notch period end of story. We stayed in the newer family suites and truly the nicest room we have ever stayed in and we have traveled nicely in the past. Beach is small but there is a part of the beautiful aqua color and sand is soft.

Resort seems carribean like in terms of relaxation focussed and high end. The one buffet restaurant Blue was delicious and gourmet. Oscar at villa 9 pool bar was awesome and he has quite the fan club. Francisco at the front desk always with a smile and eager to help. Visit Maria at the conceire with any questions she is wonderful.

Truly cant say enough nice comments about the tranquility, quality, beauty and service of this resort. If you are looking for a high end resort that is family friendy yet a posh and luxiourious feel you should visit Azul.

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This is a gorgeous, albeit pricey, resort. Beautifully designed.
It caters to families and children, but as a single adult staying there on business I actually didn't find the child atmosphere as intrusive or overwhelming as I anticipated. It was a pretty easy mix. As I mentioned, I was here on business so had no choice, but if one is solely looking for an adult vacation, I might recommend trying one of the other Karisma resorts (which I have not tried.)
The food is quite exquisite, if ordering for special events. I can't really speak to the food available to the general public because all of our meals were through catered, special events. However, I did have one salad at Blue Restaurant, and a meal at Tainan that were both delicous and top-notch.
Try to get a room with an ocean view, if possible.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing are REALLY wonderful! Gorgeous, classy, well-appointed. Try to get a r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Our family of four has just returned from staying at the Azul Beach Family Suite located in building 9. Our children our ages 3 and 6. We decided on the family balcony suite instead of the the swim up because we had read reviews that the views are better. Our balcony had zero sea views, but nice views of the Bubble pool and bar. The room itself is very pretty, especially the bathroom. The jetted tub and rain shower are amazing. The king bed room has sliding doors for privacy but the open aired section of the top of the walls makes it hard for any privacy really. It would be nice to be able to completely close off sound and light so some of the family could sleep while others were up, this was impossible. The wall connecting the bath and bedroom is open, therefore very noisy and bright when someone is using the bathroom. The beds are very comfortable and the housekeeping makes your room look as good as new each day.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful. I like the thatched roof bars and cabanas and the complex is attractive with wood canopy overhangs and columns. We walked to the Sensatori and the building there looks dated and apartment like. The pools are small but there are many at the Beach, whereas the pools at the Sensatori are huge and very pretty. There is always an open chair by the pool or on the beach. The atmosphere is not what we expected at all. It is beyond quiet here. The is no music playing at the pools or restaurants and the activities are very few and far between. The service is good...not amazing by any means. The workers just seem to do their job. I was under the impression that the staff and facility go out of their way to cater to your children but my experience was just like any other resort. If you want a toy, you have to go ask at the front and check it out. There are literally three baby toys to choose from. If you see something online that is supposed to be included, you usually don't just get it...you have to ask for it. We had to ask for the kids robes and step stool (which we never got), toys, movie list, etc. You have to ask for the hotel map and activity list. We were never given any direction...we kind of just figured it out along the way. The beach is small but nice when there is no wind. The ocean and sand were clear on our first day but as the winds came in for the rest of our stay the water was murky and the sand was covered in seaweeds. Taking a walk in either direction is a trek through mounds of seaweeds and garbage. We wanted to snorkel the reef, but our red flag winds prevented us from doing so.

The kids club is AWESOME. It was the highlight of our stay because the weather wasn't the best. Our kids, to our surprise, wanted to go there often. The girls on staff there are very sweet and great with the kids. They have about 7 scheduled activities there per day that include exercise, crafts, and food making. On cloudy, cool days, it would be nice to have more adult entertainment.

The food is okay...not what we expected as Gourmet Inclusive. Very similar to any all inclusive we've been to. There is only one place for breakfast and two for lunch. They advertise an all lobster menu. I was looking forward to a lobster tail when really what I could choose from was lobster bisque, spaghetti with lobster pieces in a ragout, or lobster risotto. We were a bit disappointed with the food. Roma was by far our best meal. The sushi river was cool at Tainan, but the sushi was just average. The wine included is terrible. The kids menu is the same at every restaurant. One plus is that you never have to wait in line for a seat anywhere.

The location is great in respect to getting here from the airport but to go anywhere else is a very expensive cab ride. We wanted to go to the little zoo here in Puerto Morelos beause our weather had turned, but the cab would've been 30-40 us dollars each way. On top of what it costs to stay here and the entrance fee to the zoo, we decided to just stay.

If this place would be more up beat...a little music here and there, closer to town, had a better beach, and cost less, it would be great. I would only say that it is so/so and we will not be returning. I really do not feel it is worth the price. If you want complete relaxation with the peace of mind your infant or small children would be well looked after, then this would be a good fit for your family vacation. Our small children were a bit bored. I would not recommend this place for couples without children.

Pro's:
*Close to airport
*Nice rooms/comfy beds
*Pretty grounds
*KIDS CLUB

Con's:
*Too quiet
*Far from town and activities
*Bad beach on windy days
*Not a good area for a beach walk
*Expensive
*Bad wine

Room Tip: A swim up family suite would be great in perfect weather. I didn't see many people use their sw...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!