“The Best in 10 years!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Calgary, Canada
“The Best in 10 years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Our decision to go to another Karisma property was based upon on our stay in 2010 at the El Dorado Royal. We were so impressed we just had to try another Karisma property. After 10 years of taking holidays in Mexico, we've found what we believe, may be the best. We just returned from a 1 week stay at the Azul Beach Hotel. Upon arrival we were placed in the older section of the hotel, clean, nice room, great location to the pools/beach, but on the old side. (These older rooms are scheduled to be renovated this year) After talking with the front desk we took an upgrade to one of the new suites. Beautiful swim up room... wow

We had a couple minor issues, which were handled promptly and professional and eventually settled into block 9, suite 903. The room was excellent, more than what we ever expected. Have a look at some of the pictures people are posting. I’ll try to get my pictures up soon.

This resort has approximately 142 rooms, which for the Riviera Mayan is on the small side. Don’t let the size fool you! It has lots of pools, bars and 5, that’s right, five, A La Carte Restaurants, no reservations are required!
As far as the porperty, if we wanted to be in the action it was easy to find, but better yet, if we wanted peace and quiet, it was just steps away. It's a great place for couples, Families and Weddings.

The property had asked us ¾ of the way through our stay what we would like to see as far as improvements, I left them dumbfounded. With a little more time, the only thing I can come up with has to do with the beach. On the beach they have those big wonderful beds. To enjoy one, you must line up at 8:00am to be able to reserve one for use the next day. It’s nice, but I find these beds take way to much space on the beach. I would rather see an improvement in the lounger quality they currently have and either more palapa’s (umbrella type, fixed location) or have access to umbrella’s which can be moved.

Now for my favorite part of our trip:
Karisma Resorts has defined themselves as being “Gourmet Inclusive” and I make a living working within the Foodservice Industry, trust me when I say, this is the best food found on a resort property in the Riviera Mayan. I was so impressed I sought out to meet the Chef.

I want to take the time to thank Executive Chef, Luis Zaragoza and his team for their commitment to culinary excellence. Chef Luis, though Karisma have raised the bar for all hoteliers within the Riviera Maya.

To the whole team at the Azul Beach Hotel, thank you so much for making our holiday that much better, we'll be back!

Room Tip: Talk with the desk upon arrival if you want an upgrade, ask for Danielle, she was amazing! New room...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

First all-inclusive destination vacation. Attended family wedding, approximately 30 people of all ages. Very nice spot to have a wedding. Very nice, well-kept, clean resort. Very much enjoyed the small layout resort feel.

Only three of the five restaurants were open at the time, Latino and Asian were closed for renovation (?). I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast (optional) and Chill the most. The food, I thought, was great. I really enjoyed the beef tenderloin, so much so, I ordered it I think 3 times for dinner during my week. The service was awesome, all of the staff seemed really nice.

Our room was one of the older rooms (305). Bottom floor, corner, facing the kids pool and ocean. It was decent, however, after seeing the newer rooms, wished we upgraded to a new one. They were very nice. Didn't really enjoy the fact that our room was across from the construction going on in the old part - even though I was up at 6am or 7 am most mornings, I found I still woke up to hammering. As well, they seemed to work rather late as well. I enjoyed a little siesta in the later afternoon and found it a little difficult with the construction. Also, was a little disappointed that the gym was closed do to the construction. The hotel offered a cab to go to Azul Sensatori (5 mins away max). Which I thought was thoughtful.

The pools were a good size for the size of the resort. I don't think they were ever crowded. However, one pool I enjoyed to lay around was designated "adults only" which I thought was great, however, most times this was not abided by.

The beach was okay. Seaweed was a bit of an issue but usually cleaned up by the afternoon. I think this had a lot to do with the storm earlier in the month. The beach was not very big. We would walk along the beach most days past the resort, one way you will pass a nude beach (not as great as one might think) then rocks. The other way eventually it gets too rough to walk. So long walks on the beach aren't that long.

My family seemed to own the beach volleyball court which was great. However, sand fleas seemed to be a bit of an issue by the second day. Most of my family had bites all up their legs. Nothing serious, just not that great to look at.

A group of us went off resort to sightsee through our travel agent. We went to Tulum and Xu Hel which was amazing. One of the best parts of my trip. A little history and a lot of cool snorkeling. There was a lack of entertainment at the resort in my view.

There was a group of us that really wished there was more to do at night. The activities in the theatre were okay, however, only lasted until around 9pm or 10pm. Most of us after would head outside by the pool bar and drink. This bar was only open until 11pm. I think the tequila lounge would have been waaay better if then played a top 40 list or something. Most of the time it was just filled with people our age (20s-late 30s) who wanted something to do and listen to some good tunes. Maybe dance a little. But they had this standard beachy music which was always loud. We asked to change it (as there was only my group in there at the time) but then said no. To go anywhere with nightlife you had to go off the resort. Quite a few of us found the evenings boring and ended up going to bed earlier than we would have liked.

I, personally, wouldn't return to Azul Beach Resort. Not because it wasn't nice or because of the service, I wouldn't return because, for my age (24), there isn't really much this resort offers. I also noticed the teenagers in my group were bored. I would have liked more entertainment and things to do. However, if you are older, have kids, or enjoy kids around, this resort is for you. I think most people with small children would really enjoy this resort. I know there are a few in my group that want to return. As this resort isn't for me, I think this resort caters to many types of familes and they would definately like Azul Beach.

Room Tip: I would try to get a newer room if possible. However, if you end up getting an older room, I would...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Our family and another family travelled to this resort over New Year and we all agreed that we really had nothing to really say other than it was a fantastic little resort. The pools, food, service, ammenities (no gym yet, being built, but could take a shuttle to the other Azul resort down the street if you so desire) and proximity to all Riviera Maya has to offer was great.

The Italian restaurant was fantastic and the Asian Restaurant with the Sushi boat and made to order Sashimi was great. With a younger family they have several pools to choose from, and the beach is well supervised, very clean. Get there before 8 to book the beautiful lounges on the beach. Great place.

Room Tip: Our suite was closer to the front entrance, was quieter than close to the water (esp New years eve...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
MIchigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed for 8 days , the end of December. 5 person ,including a small bay. Very family friendly. We stay in a new building ( 7). Nice junior suite. Some minor problems, but fixed in a short period of time ( power failure - 2 hours). Extremely friendly personnel. Very clean facilities. Multiple swimming pools and restaurant ,never crowded. For my personal taste, food was excellent and large variety including wonderful beach barbecue, practically daily. Some of the swimming pool specifically designed for a small kids. Our boy enjoyed facilities immensely. Special kids menu in a restaurant. I did notice, that some of reviewers complain about food. This is of course a personal preference, i in a contrary believe presentation and quality was really a first class and especially in on Italian restaurant. Sushi,Thai restaurant just opened. This is not my favorite type of cooking, so i do not feel qualified to judge , but rest of our group liked as well.
Additionally , during the Holidays quite a few very nice shows were organized for children.
This is a not a cheap place, but I believe, thaydeliver a very good quality vacation.
One warning. We did prepay transportation. It's was difficult to find a vender at the airport. You need to request the name of a subcontracted company. Car was excellent ( Lincoln Navigator), but there was some confusion re. child seat. Be sure to check i and recheck it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Fareham UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We spent Xmas and New year at the Azul Beach and loved it! The first couple of nights we had a few issues with our room, some the fault of the hotel and another the fault of our tour operator Thomas Cook, The issues were highlighted to staff who were very embarrassed, they along with the hotel Manager went out of their way to put things right for us and insure we had a good holiday.

The Rooms - We started in the older style room, we found it comfortable but a little basic, perhaps lacking in a few facilites you may expect in a 5* hotel like a bath tub, however it had a lovely carribean feel to it with beautiful views of the ocean and we actually really liked it.
We were then upgraded to a family suit which was brand new and finished beautifully, it had all the facilities you would expect and more, including a jacuzzi bath! We did loose a beautiful ocean view though, the older rooms definitely have the better views! comparing the two, we liked both of them, the new ones slightly more upmarket and more 5* standard but very 'hotel like', the older rooms are quaint and comfortable and feel homely so really depends on what you like.

The Hotel facilities and entertainment - They had something going on all the time from early morning through to evening entertainment, there wasnt time to be bored! You can take part in any of the activities from yoga and water aerobics to spanish lessons to name a few. All the activities were fun and never overcrowded. I will also say that if you are not the type to get involved there are many quiet spots away from the main areas and the staff never pester you to join in. You can make the holiday as relaxing or energetic as you please. The Christmas and New Year entertainment was fantastic, The children had a visit from Santa Christmas day and each child received a gift. New Year was seen in the singers and dancers and a very good night was had by all!

The hotel has many pools, some very quiet some more for children, all are clean and well maintained with comfortable sunbeds and towels available. The beach is nice, the Hotel staff strive to keep it clean and seaweed free, it is worth reserving a cabanna however the reservation desk opens at 8am and by 8.30 they are all booked out and that is for the following day! where ever you are sat or sunbathing you will have a butler at hand to provide drinks and food as and when you want it, we found this a very nice touch and they are very friendly.

The Kids Club - We really cant say enough about the kids club! Our only criticism is that we didnt see much of our son all holiday! He loved it! the girls made him feel like part of a family. Usually I am very cautious who I leave my son with and where I leave him and i dont relax until he returns but I was very happy to leave him here. They do so much with the children and seem to have a real bond with them. They have a very good activites plan, the children have a mix of indoor and outdoor activites available all day and night.

The Resturants - All beautiful, providing a range of different dishes all of high standard. My favourite was the Asian my husbands favourites were the Italian and Latin but we both liked them all. Chil resturant needs to raise the standard a little to match the others, their service was slow and the food sometimes cold.

The Staff - Every day, every member of staff from the cleaners to the hotel manager, would smile and say hello, most would stop to talk. They go out of their way to learn your name and make sure you are enjoying your vacation. The staff make this hotel the special place that it is, in our opinion they strive to go the extra mile to make each holiday maker feel happy. They provide and exceptional service. The staff made our holiday and for this we would like to thank them.

The Location - The hotel is quite isolated and far out from anywhere so if you have plans to see places be prepared to pay for the tours or hire a car! The tours are expensive and not as good as they make out in the sales pitch but it gets you out! As for hiring a car, we tried to hire a car, the desk organised it for us and agreed the price, the day they came to pick us up to get the car they drove us miles to the office and then said they only had one car available, it was an old bangor and was smaller than a fiesta (which we ordered) and if we wanted it we had to pay 25$ a day more than the agreed price! So if you are hiring a car, agree the terms with the driver before you leave the hotel to pick it up!

Just a quick note about the renovations - we didnt even notice them!

Overall our holiday at the Azul beach was very relaxing and enjoyable and we would highly recommend the hotel to others. We will certainly return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Belleville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We just returned from our trip at the Azul Beach resort with 2 kids ages 2 & 4. There are a few things you need to know before your trip to this resort:

We had a fabulous time; the food is very good and we ARE foodies. The house wine is not that great, but the cabernet in the ROMA restaurant is pretty good. The best wine list is in ROMA. I am sure if you asked, you could get any wine they had available at any of the restaurants. I didn't see anyone ordering wine off the special lists and that could be because it was priced a little high. We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed the ASIAN restaurant the best. The best drinks are in the private adult tequila bar - they had all the premium liquors. It is worth going in and getting a "to go" drink from there at night. The Margaritas and mojitos are really good.

1. Upgrade to the Family Suite. This is a much bigger room and the deluxe is no where near big enough for a family of 4. I did not have an option to upgrade when booking online, however I was able to upgrade there and it was worth it.

Please Note: There are no chain locks on the front door or sliding glass door and. The doors can be opened easily from the inside. Not very "child-proof" so watch your little wanderers. Also, the "ledge" to the balcolny on the second floor isn't very high and a chair/table can be pushed against it and your tots could climb over. This was just an observation. No big deal, I just didn't let mine go out there.

There are two little stools in the bathroom, round with 3 legs - they are very unsteady. You kids will try to use them for the sink and bath and will end up tipping over and cracking their heads. Basically just stick them out in the hall when you get there. The floors are beautiful marble and very clean - but slippery when wet. We had a few tumbles during the week.

2. There is a small shop with many ammenities including diapers and sunscreen. Most items were reasonably priced. There is no diaper cream, so make sure to take some with you.

3. There are blow dryers in the rooms. There is a safe in the room, but it isn't bolted down?? We used it with no problems but got a good laugh that pretty much anyone could pick it up and walk away with it. We never had problems with theft and did not feel uncomfortable at anytime.

4. The complementary toiletries are wonderful. They smell nice and and a better quality than most hotels and resorts.

5. The beds are VERY comfortable and you get to pick your favorite style of pillow. You also get to pick "aromatherapy" for your room, however no one ever gave our room a treatment that we know of. The Family suite has a large couch with a trundle style bed. There is a TV in both the living room and bedroom as well as a dining table.

6. The kids club is very nice with plenty of toys. They also have a toy lending program along with high chairs, strollers - basically most anything you need. They do not have "sippy" style cups or cups with lids for toddlers so make sure to bring your own if needed. There is plenty of kiddie type food and drink choices on all the menus.

There is not a lot of extra activities here so if you are looking for action and a disco, this is not your place. If you are looking for a restful week and a beautiful setting - this is your place. The beach beds are great. They are not as easy to "reserve" as some of the reviews imply so make sure you get up at 7:30 the day before you want to reserve one. There are plenty of beach chairs and pool chairs. There are plenty of towels for everyone and they even have a basket of beach toys for the kids.

I would not recommend this resort for families with tweens or teens looking for action and adventure. There is no teen club here. It really is best for families with small kids that are happy swimming or playing on the beach. I met a lot of "childless" couples and retirees that said they were having a fabulous time. They were worried ahead of time about the kids, but the resort is so quiet and peaceful it really wasn't a problem for them.

Overall we had a wonderful family vacation - but they are only getting 4 stars because we had a few issues. The jacuzzi in our bathroom was not working (a little dissappointing), but the most disappointing thing was that the concierge was useless. They were friendly, they were courteous, but they did not seem to know anything about the activities or shows. They were only interested in getting us to listen to their talk about some exotic program you can buy. We asked for assistance on several occasions and they would refer us to the front desk. The front desk also didn't seem to know alot about the activities (like what kind of food would they be serving at the Mayan night and what time the show was??)

My husband went to the concierge to purchase tickets ($3 each) for the Kayak and handed them a $20. She said "we do not have change." That's it. End of story. Not, I don't have it let me find it for you, not we'll have it soon, not "I am sorry sir, let me get you tickets another way" just sorry, no change.... (not my problem if you don't get to ride the Kayak). WHAT?? You are an international hotel. You have change. People need change to tip your staff and buy things from other people that "don't have change."

We also asked the Concierge about taking a tour of the Azul Sensatori as we are planning a trip with some friends that have older kids. They basically told us we could get a cab for $10. We had to ask several different people, they all seemed confused. They made several calls and came back with it would cost $10. They do however pay for a free cab for anyone that wants to use the gym at the Sensatori?? This is marketing 101 folks, let us see your other resort and we will give you more of our money. For as much as we spent on the trip and the upgrade, this should have been a no-brainer. Dissappointing.

Overall, we DID have a great time. We are not very needy and can shrug off anything we asked for and didn't get. We had a fabulous time enjoying our children on the beach and in the pool. I would recommend this resort - even with the few things above. AND - the food IS better than most resorts.

Please feel free to message me with your questions about this review or your upcoming trip to this resort with your children!

Room Tip: The deluxe is big enough for 2 or 2 and a baby, but is not really big enough for a family of 4. Upg...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Inconsistent and truly disappointing food. Cold starters or soups generally good but they can't cook beef or fish without over doing it, and the house wine is awful. Rooms are spacious and comfortable and service is generally good however. Definitely wouldn't recommend if you're a foodie.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!