“youngest couple there at Desire in Riviera Maya” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Desire Resort & Spa

You added Desire Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Desire Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   Carretera Cancun-Puerto Morelos Km 27.5 SM 12 | Mza 41, Lote 1, Fracc. 2, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Detroit, Michigan
“youngest couple there at Desire in Riviera Maya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was the first time for my husband and I to go to a nudist resort. We are NOT swingers but I love to watch "skin to the max" so I thought it would be great . First lets start with the room, it was not a king bed it was a small queen bed so I called the main office and explained to them that I paid for a king bed so they moved us in a new room 3 days later!!! the rooms need major updates period!! #2 activities- they had volley ball everyday, they said they have exercise classes but it was lame because it did not feel like a exercise unless you consider splashing in water and talking a workout,they had a few games like the kissing game ( where the female goes around and kisses butt,clevage,and private parts for points) or they had cover your mate with chocolate syrup that was okay they did not have pole dancing, snorkeling, or windsurfing lessons which was on the site and still is!!!! i thought they were all boring, keep in mind We participated in everything the only one we didn't do is the kissing game and the other games were not available #3theme nights!! sunday we slept in from all the traveling monday- desire unversity dress like a school girl and a nerd- it was okay Tuesday-foam party I loved that night, it was AMAZING you must try it Wednesday-lingerie and champagne night basically you are in your lingerie thursday-neon party you have to wear bright colors Friday- casino night you gamble with fake money than bet on the strippers dress attire gown for the ladies and suits for men,it was a fun night Saturday- lace and leather night same thing as Wednesday but different title lol. Lastly we didn't like the fact that we were the youngest couple there. I am 27 and my husband 34 and everyone else was 55 years of age and up. there were only 4 other couples in their late 30s early 40s so we were glad about that but they wanted to swing with us, we kindly said no but they still wanted to be friends and thats when we started to have a good time, we did extra activities like snorkeling which was $120 each PERSON (this was not the free one from the resort, like I mentioned before they never offered it that's why we paid for it) we were snorkeling naked and everyone on the boat having crazy sex lol. We did zip lining-$135 each person- I do NOT RECOMMAND it... the resort said it would be with the same people from our resort but when we sat in the van there were families with kids, we couldn't get our money back so we went anyway, the people in the van were rude, uptight, they thought we were freaks(because they picked us up from the resort) kept telling their kids not to come near us,only if they knew that we have 2of our own lol, on top of that I'm wearing something revealing,(i thought i was going with desire crew you know what I mean;-) lol) We gave this place a four star due to good food, great entertainers and met nice coupels, we will go back there again
Thanks for reading

P.S I was getting dressed and my husband was in the shower one morning and a handyman walked in our room to check our ac unit,I was shocked because he didn't call about it & we had the DO NOT DISTURB sign on our door, I know your probably thinking hey ur at a nudist resort but I don't think anyone has the right to walk in without knocking on our door so fyi watch out!!

Room Tip: We were in room 2313 which was the last building it wasn't great, I would get an ocean front roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mgoodb, Guest Relations Manager at Desire Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to Desire Resort & Spa, as it's very important for us in order to keep improving.

We are very sorry about the inconveniences experienced with the tour you booked, this was provided by an external company to our Resort, but be sure we will look further into this matter.

As part of our procedures, none of our staff are allowed to go into the rooms or knock the door when a "don't disturb" sign is hanged on a door knob, I will be following up very closely in order to keep this from happening again. Once again I would like to express my most sincere apologies.

We thank you for your preference and look forward to see you again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
United states
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a great resort and experience for old couples that don't want to do anything, which was pretty much all the property had. My husband and I are 28 and 31 years old and we went with the expectation of sports, competitions, games, fun, with some relaxation. We went to temptation at the same time last year (sister resort that supposedly isn't as carefree as desire) and it was so much fun. It was a big party. We expected the same out of desire, but a little more wild. This place was basically a nudist resort. They did not play any games except volleyball.They were supposed to have yoga but ever time we went for a class, no one showed up to teach it; so we would wait 20 minutes and then were never notified if class was canceled or what happened (multiple days and times this happened before we finally gave up and decided yoga class was a ruse). They also didn't have any entertainment. Unlike other resorts that offer nightly shows, this didn't have any shows unless you count watching 3 woman walking around in a circle modeling in things u can buy. I am a flexible athletic person that needs to stay active so I would stretch and do my own yoga on the beach and I was the most entertainment they had (multiple guests even commented that watching me was the best part of their vacation). In addition, as I said before, the only game was volleyball but while we were there, a loose tile in the pool injured at least one person everyday (me included). By the end of our stay, no one dared venture in the only pool they have. We walked to desire pearl a few times (2 hours on the beach each way, but staff will tell you 45 min. Or $20 taxi ride). We enjoyed pearl much more, they had more pools and games, but the foam party was the best! Lastly, the food was wonderful. Cannot say anything bad about the food and I could go on and on about how good it was. I did not eat one thing that tasted bad the whole week. The food, drinks, and friendly staff is why I gave this place 2 stars instead of one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
mgoodb, Guest Relations Manager at Desire Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear guest,

We do really appreciate your feedback as it is important in order for us to constanly improve. Please know that your satisfaction is our main priority and we're truly sorry that you didn't enjoy your recent visit with us. Sometimes on rainy days we need to change some planned activities, however,please be sure, we are working in our opportunity areas.

We thank you again for your important comments.

Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Very relaxing/relaxed environment. First time at a resort of this type. Right from check-in, when they sit you down with a nice refreshment, describe the facilities and explain protocals you feel right at home.
The room was clean and comfortable, although a little dated and worn. Wandering the property completely nude, everywhere, was great. Towels down at lunch and you're good to go. Walking from your room to the pool, beach or bars without feeling awkward was nice. The restaurants were excellent.
Christmas dinner was bar none. The bars were great and the staff even better. Visited the club one night; loud music, seductive behaviour and open sex. During our one vist to the rooftop hot tub a couple were putting on quite the display. The evening entertainment is definitely geared towards those willing to share their sexual sides openly. Would we go back? For sure, although it might be a bit too overt for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The group:
We found a travel group called “Party Naked Baby” online and booked our trip with them. We prefer to travel with groups because we enjoy the pre-trip chat sessions and like to get to know people a little before we get to our destination. This group was awesome! Our hosts Tony and Sue planned a lot of fun extra activities while we were there. We will definitely travel with them again!

Our room:
We splurged this trip and booked an ocean view room. We stayed in room 2502. The space between the bed and the closets was very tight, but that was the only negative thing about the room. Through our double French doors, we could see the ocean through the beach beds that line the beach in front of the resort. The room was very clean. We had a wonderful maid that made up crafty figurines with towels and flower pedals on most nights. The room had a white tile floor, a comfortable bed, and a refrigerator (stocked with water, soda, and beer at no additional charge). There was more storage than we expected. The bathroom didn’t have much counter space, but there was a nice area under the vanity to store our things. We had a roomy walk-in shower that could benefit from a stool or bench. There was no tub. The resort provides his and her robes to use during your stay. These come in handy for evening trips to the hot tub. There are plenty of towels for use in the room. There are also plenty of nice large towels available at the pool and hot tub. Overall, we were pleased with our room.

Dining:
We tried most of the options offered by the resort. Breakfast is in the main buffet every day. They offer cook-to-order eggs or omelets plus a variety of vegetables, fruits, cereals, yogurts, and a few Mexican options.

Lunch is at the pool-side café “Tentazione” which offers a full salad bar, a grill (where you can choose chicken, burgers, fish, steak, or fajitas), and a buffet with cheeses, chips, guacamole, plus some hot entrees. Tentazione also offers table-side Panini style sandwiches. Very few people ordered them, but when we tried them, they were delicious.

There were three restaurant options for dinner: Suki, Arrecife, and Sahlo. Our favorite restaurant was Sahlo. Sahlo had a romantic atmosphere, wonderful service, and the food was excellent. Arrecife was the main buffet. The theme changed for the main buffet daily, offering a lot of options during the week. Suki offers Asian fusion plus two Teppanyaki grills. I believe reservations are required for the grills. The sushi at Suki is surprisingly good!

Men are required to wear long pants for dinner. Beside for the Teppanyaki grill, reservations are not required for any meals. The service was wonderful at all restaurants!

Room service is available for a small fee. We did not order from the room service menu.

Entertainment:
The resort provided entertainment throughout the day. Early in the day, the entertainment staff led various events like yoga, water aerobics, water volleyball, and beach volleyball. Later in the afternoon, they sometimes hosted games like music trivia and bingo. One afternoon, there was a fashion show where models paraded around the pool in outfits that could be purchased in the gift shop. Each evening after dinner, some form of entertainment show was provided. The evening entertainment was sometimes held in the patio outside the lobby. Sometimes the entertainment was held in the disco.

Dress:
Most people hang out around the pool during the day. The dress code is very casual. The pool area is clothing optional and the majority of people there are nude. When they are wearing clothes, men tend to wear cargo or board shorts with short sleeved shirts, while women tend to wear sun dresses, shorts, bathing suits, or just wrap up in a sarong. You must be covered to dine poolside for lunch at Tentazione. A cover-up or bathing suit is fine for this. For a more laid back day, there are lounge chairs and palapa beds on the beach. The beds can be rented by the week, but are available for day use if not rented. Nudity is allowed on the beach in front of the resort also.

Many guests participate, to some extent, in the theme nights. Guests usually dress for dinner and then change into their theme outfit after dinner. This is the time to dress sexy! My favorite themes this trip included the foam party and pirate night (which was a theme planned by our group). Pirate night was so much fun that people not with our group told us they wish they had brought pirate costumes too! The foam party was fun, nude, and sensual; but the floor became really slick. A friend with our group hit his head pretty hard after tripping over something hidden by the foam.

Other Services:
The resort offers full spa services and a gym, but we did not use these services. There is also a desk in the lobby where you can book tours. We had friends who booked tours here and they had a great time, but we did not use this service.

Overall, we love Desire Riviera Maya! It is a fun, sensual trip. We made great friends and had lots of laughs! The only reason we will not be back next year is because we are going to join "Party Naked Baby" at Desire Pearl in November!!

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice for a splurge, but all of the rooms are nice. The resort is small enough that it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had a great time during the sdc.com takeover event. 114 couples from all over the world get together in their yearly takeover. Desire offers a perfect balance of great food, adult entertainment, friendly staff and off course the Sdc family. Will be there again next year

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are the best
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We visited Desire RM from our booked stay at Desire Pearl and ended up switching to RM for as long as they had rooms available. We liked RM better as soon as we got there. Everything was great except for all the plastic beach chairs and pool chairs. The chairs are full of black spots which I assume to be black mould within the fabric and the fabric is stretched to a point where there is 0 comfort left and there are no cushions so you get sore fast if you lay on these chairs for too long. Pearl has much nicer chairs. RM has a better disco, better restuarants and an outside grill area so that you eat your lunch outside and has a nicer night bar area to grab a drink.

We did the time share thing and almost signed up for premiere membership for an extra $13,000 for 350 nights. The 13 only gives us the premiere benefits for 350 stays. We wasted a lot of our trip going through this process because just before we signed I asked why they did not honour the 50% off on our upgraded room when we moved to RM as we were premiere guests and in the contract we are entitled to 50% off when we upgrade to a better room if it is available and it was. There excuse was that a regular garden view would have to be available, we would book that on a technicality and then upgrade and get 50% off, so now we are seeing the kind of crap they can pull. On top of that they lied because a couple we knew came over to the desk 10 minutes later looking for a room and they got the last room for which was garden view for 2 nights, so they had the room and lied so that they did not have to give the 50% off only 25%. Subsenquently as my wife was signing the 13,000 she crossed her signature out as we told them they lied and we knew it so they lost our 13 grand right there but they still stole our extra 900 dollars we had to pay for the upgrade to be able to move to RM. Other than the check in lying to us and the old mouldy chairs the resort is awsome as there is no where else to go. We may try Hedo 2 however, after our experience but the rest of the resort is awsome. Hedo is trying a couples take over so we may try that.

The theme is great and best of all the people at the resort are awsome. The staff was excellent, best service we ever had. The resort is spotless except for the chairs. I find the beach better at RM but still it is not a great beach but still nice enough. The games were great and so was the entertainment. I would still recommend the resort as there is not much choice for this type of theme. I believe once you try it, you get addicted to the theme, it is just a lot of fun that you could only fantasize about at other resorts.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Like many who travel to Desire, we are repeaters. We love the resort--we have stayed in the basic rooms all the way to the passion suites (sometimes changing rooms in the middle as an upgrade from the hotel management). Although not fancy, if you have been to others--this doesn't compare to other lifestyle resorts. The food is great. We have eaten at all 3 of the evening restaurants---our favorite is the buffet. We always do a sushi night, a fancy dinner with lobster/steak to celebrate a special occasion. We end up at the buffet most nights and meet up with friends from the day for dinner. Much more flexible for groups in the big palapa. We were at our 9th time in Jamaica before taking the plunge in Cancun...and we are so glad we did! We have met amazing friends at each trip from all over the world (as well as locally) and love the openness of the people. Talk politics...talk desires...talk family...just talk! People are not pretentious or stand offish. We encourage you to engage in the games during the day...meet your beach chair neighbors...play some volleyball...and sit at a table with people you don't know. Practice your Spanish...or learn another language. This place is as some say--Fantasy Island--except it really does exist. I just keep waiting for "Tatu" to show up!
We use the fitness center daily. It is basic, but does the trick. We always get a massage or two while there and the experience is worth the extra cost. The staff are unbelievable! Accommodating and truly there to make your vacation one you won't forget. From Silvia at the pool...what would we do without her? When she has a day off--we all know it! If you haven't experienced a resort like this---give it a try. No pressure. Go at your own pace. We all had a first time there...and most of us come back for more. It is our home away from home. Be prepared for rain--it usually goes away. Our visit this October--it poured for 3 days straight. Unusual from our past trips there.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are nice. We really enjoy the passion suite on the second floor furthest form the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Desire Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!