“2nd time at Desire and we loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desire Resort & Spa

You added Desire Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Desire Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   Carretera Cancun-Puerto Morelos Km 27.5 SM 12 | Mza 41, Lote 1, Fracc. 2, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Palm Springs, California
“2nd time at Desire and we loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have just returned from our second visit to Desire and again we had a fantastic time. The food and service once more was awesome in all the restaurants, in fact that was the case all over the resort.

We were given a garden view room this time which we expected but it was very small and as we had requested a king size bed we asked if we could move. No rooms were available right away but after 2 days a member of the front office even tracked us down at the pool and told us they had a bigger room (and bed) and would move everything for us. They did this in under one hour and we did not have to do anything.

This time we did decide to reserve a bed on the beach for the week, cost $100 but it was worth it, as Cheri did not have to get up each morning at 7:00 am and go locate one. We enjoy the beach much more than the pool as you can relax but at lunch time it's fun to go eat and watch all the activities at the pool. For us that's not an all day thing. Activities meaning games, competitions, shows and music. The other activies happen up on the roof in the big hot tub and surrounding beds around 4:00 pm and late at night.

The evening theme nights are fun, which start outside in the lobby courtyard and continue up at the disco. We are not keen on the competitions between the guests as we feel sorry for the losers LOL but most nightly activities are classy and enjoyable to watch and/or listen to. We enjoy the evenings and get in to the theme each night mainly do to us going to Fantasy Fest every year, yet the costumes here are little more risque.

We like the whole idea of being able to go nude and soak up the sun and then have to dress for dinner, men in long pants and ladies in wonderful dressses in the two special restaurants which brings a lot of class to the place. Actually in one restaurant you could imagine you are eating in any four or five star restaurant, the service is so good and the menu is wonderful.

The only issue we had was that they could not get the hot tub to the correct temperature for a few days, one day is was very hot and then for two days it was very cool but they eventually sorted it out. We have seen reports on the condition of the hot tub but all we can say it was always clean, especially with that amount of people in it per day and they do clean it daily as it is closed till the afternoon. On that note we found the whole resort to be spotless and our room(s) was cleaned everyday.

Yes, this is a clothing optional resort, less clothes than more but that's expected. The sexual activity is limited to only two public places, the roof top hot tub area and the playroom off the disco, so if you are not in to that you would never know what happens, they are both out of the way.

As you can see we have had two wonderful vactions and already have booked in for our third visit this coming September.

Tony & Cheri

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Prophetstown, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We were at Desire in Cancun February 11-15, 2011 for our 18th wedding anniversary. This was our first time at Desire.
We stayed in an ocean view Jacuzzi Suite with butler service. It had lots of room and was only 10 steps from the beach. But there were no dressers in the rooms, so it was hard to unpack properly.
The beach is small but you can walk passed the resort property on both sides.
The beach beds are nice and close to the beach bar.
The food and the service were both great.
The resort was only a 10-15 minute ride from the airport.
The sky-top Jacuzzi opens at 1:00PM and is very quiet until around 4:00PM. After that is gets packed.
The pool was nice but full all day.
The membership (timeshare) meeting takes about 2 ½ hours – if you have the money to pay up front, it is a good deal but if you have to finance not so much.
We had a great time and will return.

houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

In brief, I was seriously grossed out by the conditions at Desire, so much so that we much rather preferred to lose all of our money rather than to stay. The pervasive smell of sewage and blatantly unsanitary room and food conditions were concerning for health risks. I cannot comment on the swimming pool as I was too disgusted to get close to it.

As we got closer to Desire, there was a gradual decline in the surroundings, with large deserted construction sites and jungle. There were no businesses or people in sight. We passed over a moat which smelled like sewage.There is a sign which says "Beware of alligators" on the bridge. There were five large thuggish men clustered near the entrance.

The sewage smell intensified as we entered Desire. It was present throughout the entire resort, and in our room as well. I did not find any pubic hair on our bedsheets as one other reviewer has mentioned, but the sheets smelled moldy and unwashed. I couldn't stand to stay in the room for more than 10 minutes. The "beach" was actually the Cancun lagoon, not the ocean. It was a small strip of gray sand off of cloudy water.

We also walked by the food service areas.There was cooked meat, fish, beans and fried items that appeared to have been sitting there for hours. We were too grossed out to eat anything.

We decided to leave within an hour of arriving. The hotel refund policy is no refunds. We asked politely if we could have a partial refund. The hotel staff spent about an hour trying to convince us to stay, either in another room or at their other resort Temptations. It smelled so nauseatingly disgusting that we didn't even care whether we got our money back, we just wanted to be allowed to leave. The hotel manager stated we would have one night refunded, but this has not happened yet (4 weeks later). If a refund shows up on our credit card statement, I'll add that to this review.

Although we lost $1000, it was a good lesson to learn, and I now read the reviews on tripadvisor carefully. If you decide to stay there after reading this review, consider yourself warned, and don't expect your money back. And take a face mask to breathe through and sanitizing wipes. And your own bottled water and food.

ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

This was our first trip to Desire. We chose it since they closed Hedo3.

Beautiful place, amazing service. This is a small resort, onlly 110 rooms or so, so book early, don't expect to find a last minute deal. Beach is small with a breaker wall in the ocean that prevents the waves from causing further erosion. If you go in the water on either side of the resort (vacant lots) you will see a lot of garbage on the ocean floor, but in front of the hotel, all is kept very clean. It was easy to get a beach bed even if many are reserved for members. Staff go up and down the beach regularly to bring drinks or just about anything else you need - service here is amazing.

Pool is small and lacks a swim up bar. Again, service is great with waiters going around regularly to see to you. Here is where the two-tier service is most prevelent. You need to reserve pool beds/chairs or you will not get one and members can reserve the day before. At 6:30 am you should be lucky to get a chair by the pool, at 7:00 am you will have a choice of the few that are left. Any later, go to the beach! The hotel has to do more here... (this is the main reason I did not rate this a 5)

Food, amazing. Buffet choice is small, but there is a grill where the cook will have plenty of choice to cook for you. There are also two small a la carte restaurants that dont take reservations, but there was always plenty of room. Keep in mind that with 110 rooms, there is only about 220 people. Pool restaurant for lunch was excellent, lots of choice. Lobby bar pizza at 2:am was also perfect. Men have to where pants/shoes at the a la carte restaurants, women are dressed sexy - less is best, but must have something on.

PDA - not allowed at the beach or pool period. There was some around the rooftop hot tub in late afternoon, but nothing like at Hedo2. Mostly a place to meet/interact with others with mild/playful touching. At night however...

Entertainment - The hotel changed the theme night program for the week just before we left. We scrambled to find new costumes, but many there only found out when they arrived so they did not have anything. This is a fail Desire! With a small audience, entertainment was not spectacular by any means, just ok. Folks are the real entertainment, which usually starts at 10:00 pm at the disco. The disco is also the sin room, surounded with beds. When we were there, there was regular PDA but nothing wild. Folks would head off to the hot tub for that...

Desire or Hedo2 - I prefer Hedo2, the wife prefers Desire. Desire is smaller, more upscale, better food, better service. Hedo has better entertainment, a swim-up bar, a piano bar alternative to the disco. Neither beach is extraordinary, longer (nude) beach with no need for water shoes at Desire, but don't expect to be able to float on an air mattress like you can at Hedo2. PDA was a lot more prevelent at Hedo2. Age group was a little younger at Hedo, and with more people, was easier to find folks that you were comfortable to interact with... and that's what really makes both of these places great, the people that are there.

Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

This is an all inclusive hotel with an excellent choice in food and range of activity.
The location is distant from the Hotel Zone of Cancun and the fishing village of Puerto Morelos yet has quiet, neighboring hotels sharing the beach, so not too isolated. You do not need to leave the hotel for anything unless you want to take some day trips to Mayan ruins, Cancun or Cozumel. Snorkeling, sailing trips go out right from the hotel.
Exceptional cuisine is offered. Several elegant restaurants are on site as well as pool snack bars and buffet style dining.
Theme nights and activities are well scheduled for cheeky adult style amusement. This appealed to both nudists, exhibitionists and swingers. We were there when classes were given by a reputable sexologist on various sensual topics. The hotel was booked out but did not feel busy all week.
The pool, jacuzzi, disco room, beach, dining areas and around the outdoor bar areas all provided plenty of opportunities to converse with other couples without formal introduction. We were surprised how many couples had been to Desire multiple times over the years. All age ranges were represented much to our relief. This was not a rowdy crowd just a liberal crowd.
Couples should expect a more open attitudes here to both nudism and adult play. If you know this in advance then this is the place to come. It is beautiful, well maintained and truely world class for its type of liberal resort. Don't overpack; you will need much less than you think.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We decided to kill two birds with one stone in choosing desire; my hubby can get to the dive shop within 15 minutes of Desire and I can stay and get some sun and sand while I waited. You cannot find more solicitious and friendly staff than those at this resort. They make sure that your glass is filled, you have enough shade or sun, and the facilities are very good. There are pool games and aerobic exercises. They also offer yoga and belly dancing.

The food also was particularlyl tasty and there was enough variety for every palate.

The theme nights are fun if one is into dressing up like a school girl at 58 or a vamp at 40 or a seasoned butt wiggler at 22 so this is an equal opportunity exhibitionist fun camp for free spirits! And in all the places I have been of similar ambiance, I have not seen as many breast implanted women as in this place. Do not get me wrong, I am not criticizing; I am only making an observation. In fact, I took a photo of the "bump" on the road and told my hubby that it meant "fake breasts within 500 meters". Oh no, photos are not allowed here and that is very okay with me.

The food - the international buffet rocks, the Suki Japanese is good, the Italian restaurant is more about form than substance but they are excellent "dinner destinations" for when you want to dress up for yhour dinner after a whole day of no tan-lin sunning the whole day or dressed in your skimpy bikini for the last 8 or more hours..

The routine after the pool closes is for people to meet up at the jacuzzi. It can be crowded and smokey and you can strike up a conversation with other couples. While some are definitely into the lifestyle, it is okay just to have your own fun your way and just watch as the lifestyle goes by. The routine after the jacuzzi is to go to the disco. And the routine as we saw it, is to go back to the jacuzzi after the disco. Although it seems predictable, the expericnes can vary depending on the people you meet. You decide. My routine while there was to hit the bed after the disco.

We also drove to ruins in Chinchen Itza - it took us 2.5 hours via the most boring toll road. This is a great opportunity to see Mexico's own wonder of the world. We took the local road parallel to the toll road back to the resort and had a first hand experience with Mexican police corruption. With a smile on his face, he asked us to fork over $350 or the license will be confiscated. Not that I care. I can always say I lost my driver's license in the States but I know how corrupt Mexico's public servants are so I haggled and got off with handing over $20 and 400 pesos or the equivalent of $50, which would have paid for the toll road. Oh well. He told me to be very careful that the camera did not capture the money exchange. I guess our rental car was marked with gringos in red letter. Anyway, I hope those cops were able to feed their family for a week on our money.

Other than that experience, Desire has the right balance - it has upscale clientele, very well tended gardens and facilities, the food is great, the drinks are plentiful, the staff are very respectful and attentive.

I recommend something that I almost took for granted while at Desire. One night, while everyone was at the disco or the jacuzzi, I took a pool chair aside by the beach and lied down. Not in one of those cabañas with gauze dividers or roof. I mean the basic, no frill lounge chair by the beach. The stars were spectacular- I even saw one falling, the ocean waves lapping aroung me soothed my soul, and the breeze was what made me fall in love with life and love all over again. My husband, I think I will keep him!

Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This was our third visit to Desire in 14 months. We have stayed a minimum of 7 days per visit and as long as 9. We have visited in the heat of the summer, late fall and winter. Every visit has been phenomenal.
Let me say that regardless of your lifestyle preferences, the atmosphere, people and surrounding of this resort are electric. In three visits we have only had one instance where someone got a little snippy when we were not interested in their advances. Yes, there is a chance someone may be interested in being more than social but, I say a 99% return rate on respectable and friendly behavior is a better return than all of the resorts I have visited in the past. The factor that cracks me up about the "lifestyle" write up's is that Desire does not represent itself as a lifestyles resort in it's web or print advertisements beyond "lifestyle amusement". Even though some reviews tell others that people not in the lifestyle are welcome, it is as much a romantic couples resort and a great one at that.
That said:
ROOMS: Even the small rooms are big. I am not sure where people are staying that review the rooms as too small. There are a few basic needs the rooms lack but are easy to manage. One power outlet in Garden View. Go by the local home supply store and grab a 6 outlet 3 foot cord power strip. Ladies, if you are bringing shoes, grab a travel or cloth shoe holder that hooks over the door. It can be used for shoes, rolled up clothes, blow dryer, etc. There is limited space for storage.
POOL: The pools is great and always clean. I have read complaints of the pool closing at 6:00pm which I understand, but can also appreciate the fact they do close the pool. If you have ever been to a resort with a party atmosphere where the pool stays open later, then you have seen a pool with fru fru drink scum floating in it the next morning. Note that the chairs along the pool edge are usually taken by 7:30 - 8:00 but many of the back row are available even later. They also remodeled an area to add more chairs.
ACTIVITIES: I agree the activities seem to be a little old with very few changes to the events or poolside entertainment. This being a resort that has many return guests, this is one area I would like to see more variety and ongoing changes in. Theme nights too. I think part of the fun of planning for a vacation at Desires is the preparation for theme nights and special events. If they don't change or vary regularly, where is the excitement in finding the right clothes or costume for return visitors? I love to know my wife is excited in the outfits and ideas she puts together for these evenings.
HOT TUB: The hot tub has it's very social and active times ( after noon and after disco)
while it also has very quiet and serene times in between. Bottom line, when it's busy, it is sexy. If you are offended by seeing people enjoying each other in an intimate environment, this doesn't mean write this resort off, it means give it a try and if it isn't for you, there really are times when you can enjoy the hot tub in a more calm and quiet environment.
STAFF: You will not find a more dedicated and helpful staff at any other resort, anywhere. It is that simple. They are the best.
BOTTOM LINE: If you want to be in a quiet romantic environment, you can have it here. If you want an electrical experience that reconnects you with your partner and envelopes you in a sensual and unique surrounding, you will get it here. We are return guests, always will be but are also travelers who enjoy other resorts in other locations. What no other resorts offer is that trip you need just to enjoy each other and, anything else you may want to explore.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Desire Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!