“From a Newbie who just returned last night” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desire Pearl Resort & Spa

You added Desire Pearl Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Desire Pearl Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   Costera Norte, Lote 1 Sm10 Mz. 26, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Little Rock, Arkansas
“From a Newbie who just returned last night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife gave me for my 54th birthday present a surprise trip to Desire Pearl resort. This was our first time at a clothing optional resort. We had a wonderful trip. I hope this review will help some of you who are considering a trip to Pearl but have some reservations about going to this "type" of resort.
My wife and I are not in the lifestyle. I think this is one of the questions people may have about going to Pearl for the first time, i.e. will we fit in, or will we be comfortable there. My wife and I will go to a resort, stay a week and not met a single person. Our time away from work and kids is very limited and we tend to stay to ourselves. We met about 20 people at Pearl and loved every minute of it. It's amazing how friendly people are with nothing on but a smile. BUT, at no time were we ever pressured or did we ever have an uncomfortable moment. When we had talked about going to a clothing optional resort in the past my wife had always said "I will never take my bottoms off!", she was completely nude within 5 minutes of hitting the beach.
The average age of the couples at Desire Pearl was from 40 to 60, some older and some younger. There was every body type imaginable, from 100 pounds overweight to a Greek God body (yes John, that's you). My wife and I have put on a few extra pounds over the years and we fit right in. The people we met were all professional people from all walks of life, normal everyday people who just so happen to like to go naked.
To arrive at the resort we took USA transfer. They were prompt and stress free. It was an easy 15 to 20 minute ride to the resort with no problems.
The staff at the resort was GREAT!!! They were there at every turn without being a pest. I did tip $1 for drinks, beach setup, etc.. Some people did tip like us, some did not, everyone received the same level of service.
The beach is beautiful. HOWEVER, one of the only negatives is that the ocean has rocks. BRING WATER SHOES THAT FIT TIGHT. We would spend our early morning at the beach, then move to the pool where my social butterfly wife would start meeting people (this is so out of character for her). Great pool, the staff would be putting on games, which I hate but a lot of people seem to enjoy them. I just think it's crazy that naked people need to be entertained. The music SUCKED, until my wife and Margret (our new friend) complained and they fixed it, from then on it was much better.
The rooms were very nice, but stay away from the rooms near the hot tub. I believe if you stay in rooms 44 and up, you will be OK. My wife and I stayed in a penthouse suite on the top floor. No where did we read there WAS NOT AN ELEVATOR. It was 47 steps to the front door, I'm too out of shape for that. Next time, we are staying in a master suite with no plunge pool. We did enjoy the room service and the view. The food was great for lunch and breakfast. Dinner was a little fancy for me, just set up a buffet and get out of the way, I'll be fine. But, the wives like that kind of stuff.
All in all, bottom line, "Would I go back?" My answer is "my bags are already packed!!!"

Room Tip: Pick rooms 44 and up. Stay away from the hot tub.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
guadalajara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

After months of convincing from my husband we finally booked a trip to this resort we had visit the other desire resort rivera maya and I personally did not like it, but this is a whole different concept and clientele. The overall ambience is really nice; the main restaurant and lobby areas are really pretty but most of all its a relaxed fun environment. Nobody bodered us or aproached us in any way, very respectfull people overall. fun people, romantic couples just enjoing each other, it cacht my attention that nobody went naked to the restaurants even women nicely covered; very classy as a matter of fact! the food was actually really good and the service excellent, more than excellent Enif Deneb at front desk was amazing! Veronica at the spa very helpful and I took a yoga class with Jessica that was really pro! we wanted to try some local cuisine and Jesus the head waiter of the formal restaurant had it made specially for us the next day for lunch. We had a great time we danced! I felt confortable enough to take my top off hahaha thanks for a wonderful experience

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

A review is meaningless unless you know the view point and experience of the reviewer. We are in our 60s and have been travelling widely for 25 years. We have eaten in the very best restaurants in the world's top cities. We have been on various cruises and train trips, with our favourite being the Cunard Queen Mary Queens Grill where you can dine for 14 days and never get the tiniest bit jaded. We like luxury. We like eating. We like wine. We have enough ways to carry carbs and fat from the plate to the mouth without wasting our allotted calorific intake on mystery meat in burgers, pizza or sausages. So don’t expect us to know whether the burgers at DP were good.

We also like to be naked on a beach. So we have been searching for the perfect resort to match our tastes for all of those years. We hit on Grand Lido Negril early on and we have been many times from its early days when there were sports stars, actors, the Jamaican Prime Minister, all types of rich people (not us we spend too much on travel) and even Lionel Ritchie (who explained to Ike the piano man that he was playing the chords all wrong to one of Lionel’s songs). But it sadly declined till we stopped going a couple of years ago because we were taking too many things to supplement what they had stopped supplying. So we have tried Hedo 2, Hedo 3, Braco, Sans Souci, Couples Negril, Sandals Royal Caribbean, Club Caribbean, all in Jamaica, Galley Bay and Hawksbill in Antigua, Dominican, St Lucia, Cuba. None are up to standard in quality and none have the situation of room on the naked beach. So we had begun to seek out resorts where we could have a private plunge pool, but then it is hard there to find the night time entertainment and connection to like-minded people that you can get at a nude resort. We like to sit around all day watching the world go by but dance till dawn (ok these days we can only manage till around midnight).

We were aware of Desire RM, Temptations, Hidden Beach all in Mexico; but concluded, admittedly without going, that they would be too much on the Hedo scale of luxury, that is mystery meat, ketchup and mystery, typically toxic, wine

But then we found Desire Pearl. We saw it open last year. This looked like it could be the place. Priced at a level where the hotel has enough money to give you good product, drinkable wine and to supply all the little luxuries that GLN had lost (like ice cream and towels). We are well aware that in the vacation business you get what you pay for. We concluded that we have to try this.

So was it worth it. Just to give you the conclusion first, we have already booked to go back twice (even giving them deposits, before we left, for the room we wanted). Not that it was perfect, because nowhere can be perfect as it has to cater both to you and me and we may be very different. But it was very good and absolutely they are trying to give people what they want.

Room right on the beach. The front wall of our patio was the beach wall. The beach is lovely; sand like talcum, lots of good quality chairs and umbrellas. Better room situation than any of the other places we have visited. (I cannot give you the room number or details as you might be in it when I want to go). The passing people were not a problem. No vendors, no locals with kids, just a few adult tourists who were all very circumspect in case they were thought of as gawkers. I saw no shock and horror, even when passing my aging body.

The Pearl restaurant was very good. 5 courses all good quality and size. No 16 ounce T-bones. No mystery meat. There are two menus which alternate every two days. In 7 days we found lots of variety and only went back to take again the items we had enjoyed. Lovely décor with chandeliers and interesting legs sculptures on the walls; a bit like the show Crazy Horse in Vegas if you have ever been. All sparkle and lights. Good service which you can slow down to European pace if you say so. We ate breakfast and lunch in the beach restaurant so did not go back there for dinner. Lunch is good enough with a daily menu and buffet.

The house wine is totally drinkable. The usual 4 Chilean selections were all good enough that after the first night we stopped looking at the wine menu, which was not so good, too expensive and not good variety at least not to our taste. So we stuck with the house wine and switched from type to types as the food suggested.

The entertainment is fun, safe, varied and talented; some kind of short show by outside, very pretty entertainers every night and either a house band or disco. So, for the first time in many resort visits, we danced every night –ok only for a couple of hours, but enough. On only two nights were the customers the entertainment; the obligatory sexiest lady and best Chippendale night, where some guy always has to get his tackle out and drape it on the ladies designated as judges. Frankly I preferred the Latin dancers but then that’s me. And my wife liked the male dancers on Sunday night with a dance show which made Freddy Mercury look butch.

The costume nights are fun. Not everybody participates but enough to make it work. We just love to dress up. Now we prefer to wear clothes which are classy and well-shaped to make us look our best. But we did try to match the colors designated for the night. Frankly my old thongs don’t look so good these days, but maybe next time I will go for it again. The costumes worn by some give everybody the opportunity to go for whatever they want. The girls are all absolutely fabulous, but lots of the men need to dress up more. They seem to challenge one another for the champion of who can dress for least money; the jeans and runners from Walmart, the golf shirt which came for free from that tournament in 1997. What is wrong with a little attempt at style.

The lunch restaurant requires a cover-up and some seem to want to test this. Nobody was naked but a few girls were topless and I suppose it’s ok to dip your nipples in the soup if you really want to.

The level of luxury is good enough. Good chairs, towels, room décor, cleanliness, up-keep, staff. Not Cunard Queen Mary but what is.

We had a very good room; a master suite with a sitting room and bedroom both with patio doors to the beach; and two whole bathrooms, which works very well for us. We did have some issues with the air-conditioning which was causing some allergy problems over night. So we tried turning it off, which created a scary sea of water all over the floor. But we persevered when we found there were two separate systems for the two rooms and eventually, after walking-up and down for a few days with towels on our feet, it all dried out in the bedroom and the sitting room was cool for dressing. This is what you have to do when travelling—make it work for you.

It is a small boutique hotel with interesting Mexican architecture and shapes and fittings, but there is no WOW factor at the lobby or at the pool or the rooms. Even the expensive penthouse is a little blah.

The age group in general at the hotel appears to be very wide ranging with some in their 20s and some in their 70s. There is no doubt that the higher price point does push up the age a little but not so much as you might expect. And some of the 70 year old ladies looked better in their lifestyle skirts than the 20 year olds. In general it seems to me that everybody gets on and is very tolerant with no sign of any distaste no matter the age difference. As in all naked beaches in my experience, everybody just goes for it and nobody cares.

I am wondering whether I can recommend this hotel to our friends from GLN, where overt sexual activity was very rare, and some of whom would be very concerned to be associated with this aspect. One significant difference between GLN and DP is that at the former, despite the naked beach, you would be proud to announce where you were staying. At DP I am very wary to tell people where I am going. On balance I think that my nudist friends would be happy here provided they retain the tolerance that I think they have. If you want to avoid any overt sexual activities at the hotel then you can certainly do so.

The breakfasts were poor. I cannot imagine how you can process bacon so that it is completely taste free. The potatoes were those triangular yellow objects widely used in fast food outlets. They need to do more actual cooking for breakfast and less thawing.

The drinks are main brand early in the evening but change to some form of alcoholic syrup when they think you are too blasted to notice. This is not nice and, at the price they charge, not suitable and should be stopped. But you can control the situation for a few dollars by getting and keeping your own bottle with the barman. I am still supplementing the hotel's deficiencies but that is tolerable if I can get what I want.

Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had never gone to a couples only resort with clothing optional. Were a little concerned prior to arrival but it didn't take long to get into the environment! This is a smaller resort than we usually go to. However, we loved the smaller more personalized service. Only 2 restaurants but they change the menu every two days. The food was fabulous, the room was beautiful and had everything we needed, the service was outstanding, and the spa service was magnificent! We will definitely go back to this resort!!

Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have been to the Desire RM once before but decided to try the Pearl as we couldn't get into the RM. We were not disappointed. Although it is more expensive, it is worth it. We were upgraded to a junior suite and it was lovely - clean, spacious with two great balconies.

Like the RM, we felt comfortable as soon as we hit the pool area (we are 51 and 59) as there were a variety of ages there. People are generally nude but with many women in thongs. It really doesn't matter if you have a swimsuit on or not, it is very accepting. There are fun games that get people involved if that is what you are looking for. If you are not, there is a quieter section of the pool for relaxing.

We have no complaints about the food - it was delicious each day whether it is for breakfast, lunch or dinner - all good with awesome service! Drinks were served throughout the day and at meals promptly and with wonderful customer service. The wines were great (loved their housewines - smooth and appealing) and if you wanted a liquor - no problem!

The large hottub was definitely fun after 3 pm. People would gather for drinks and fun and everyone generally would let loose! You would never know what you would see or encounter. There were lifestyle people and those that weren't. If you are a voyeur, you would definitely get to see alot, especially late afternoon and early evening. No one is ever bold and it is a respectful atmosphere if you are not lifestylers. It is quiet, however, late at night with only a few couples partaking in erotic adventures. Just understand that the hottub is for people who are uninhibited -whether they are newbies or seasoned - you just want to enjoy all aspects.

We enjoyed the spa - the couples massage was certainly worth the money - very erotic and great to put you in the mood.

Theme nights are fun but remember to take something wild to wear (women). If you want to wear next to nothing, no problem; if you want to wear a cocktail dress, no problem. Most women wore provocative outfits, including myself, which made it fun. Next time, I'll make sure to take more of them.

Definitely, we are going back to Pearl. Met some amazing people and everyone is very friendly and there is no pressure for anything. Gracious staff in an upscale resort.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The staff was excellent. We definitely recommend going to the spa the treatments are wonderful and very good, first rate. The food was good there are only a couple of restaurants but they change the menu and you can go to other Desire resort for additional variety, which is not far away. The rooms were awesome and took care of every need. I would recommend upgrading if possible when you get there, we upgraded to master suite and it was really worth it.
Beach and pool time was very fun and lively. Beyond the staff we had a really great time talking with other couples and developed true relationships. It was a wonderful trip. This was the first time my wife cried when we were leaving from a vacation. We were sad to go and will be going back for sure. Cannot recommend this resort enough no matter what your experience level is everyone is accommodating and make you feel very comfortable.

Room Tip: if you want it a little more quieter at night then choose a room further from the jacuzzi. if you ar...
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We just returned from Desire Pearl and we were extraordinarily pleased with our experience.

First, some background. Pearl opened last April and I had been eager to see it so I could be knowledgeable for my clients. . I do discounted travel to clothing optional resorts and this past year have received requests from clients and arranged reservations for them. But as I said, I hadn’t seen it. We have been to Hidden Beach Resort, Caliente (Tampa & Dominican Republic), Desire Riviera Maya, and Braco, (when it was there). For us Hidden Beach has always been the standard of measuring other clothing optional resorts. That said, Hidden Beach is au-natural and all public displays of sexual behavior is forbidden. Some people want a more spicy holiday and Desire Pearl and Desire Riviera Maya permit activity in select locations. More about that later. For those who prefer merely the au Natural experience we felt safe at all times at Pearl. We did have occasion to say “no” and it was comfortably accepted.

When we arrived we were greeted and offered a beverage. Check in was flawless, our room was ready and we were quickly escorted there. Our baggage went with us so there was none of that annoying getting to the room and then waiting for your bags. The room, as was the rest of the resort,was clean. Although it turned out to be one of the smaller rooms, it was just fine for us. We don’t spend much time in the room anyway.

We went outside intending to lie down for a bit and perhaps even a swim. We put one foot in the pool and discovered it was not heated. The day we arrived and the days before were rather cool and windy. So, that meant it really was too cold to do more than jump in and then get out. No hanging out in the pool or at the pool bar. Later in the week the weather got warmer as did the pool and it was better. But, notwithstanding, a heated pool is a requirement for any resort.

Back to the discussion about the room. Being a newly opened Desire Resort I expected more in renovations. It’s been open for a year and there are still things to do. It’s clear they are working on it, but they need to do more, and do it faster. So, throughout this review I will mention things I feel should be done – just to get them on the list. In the room the chrome water fixtures (faucets, sink drains, etc) need replacing. They are old and pitted. The shower should have a hand shower, either in place of, or in addition to the fixed shower head. We all like washing our feet and other select parts of our body. The sconce lamps in our room had some rust on them and the shades needed replacing. The cube refrigerator was old and some of the vinyl coating was coming off leaving a rusty shelf. The air conditioner worked very well, but was very noisy. I hope something can be done with that. There was a good vanity mirror – lighted with magnification. Lighting in the room was pretty good. I know resorts try to save electricity and keep the wattage down. There was only a single basin in our room. We like double basins – no waiting. The hairdryer was very good. The bed was comfortable and the pillows met our needs. The blanket was covered on both sides by a clean white sheet and coverlet. We like that. There were both shear and room darkening curtains. Closets space and hangers were ample and there was enough drawer space. Drawers are in built in cabinetry. The cabinetry is a bit old, a little tired, and should be replaced. But, it’s not a priority for me. The television – to my surprise was the old tube kind. I rarely watch TV so it wasn’t a problem, but it takes up space we would have liked to have on the counter top. (When we first turned it on it did not work. I called for repair and they were there in 5 minutes.) There are new combo safes so no need to put a key around your neck.

Room location. If you like to party and are a voyeur, a room overlooking the Jacuzzi is for you. It’s noisy, but interesting. If you want quiet, I recommend asking to be away from the Jacuzzi. A side note: They play electronic “music” from 1:00PM to late at night. I wonder, do people really want that kind of music. Makes it really hard to have a conversation and adds nothing to atmosphere. Perhaps management should ask the guests, at the exit survey, if they liked the music volume and what genre they prefer at the Jacuzzi. I personally don’t enjoy what they play now – it just adds to the cacophony.

Okay, good segue into discussion about the Jacuzzi. It’s terrific. Very large so everyone can be as close or far from others as they wish. Temperature was good most nights and lots of bubbles. Bar service was excellent at the Jacuzzi bar and we never waited long for drinks. There was a never-ending replacement of towels. At one end of the Jacuzzi area there is a wall of cubbies. A nice feature. So you can put your personal belongs in a cubby before getting in the jaccuzi. The Jacuzzi and the surrounding beds are one of the designated places for public intimacy (euphemism). The other area is the “back room” in the disco.
The main pool, which I mentioned needs to be heated is like two pools connected. Sort of like a dumbbell with a narrow part in the center. It’s an ideal layout as the fun and games activities are done at one end and the other end is very peaceful. We like that a lot as we don’t do fun and games and like to read or talk to other guests around the pool. It was one of the things we loved: action and music if you wanted it at one end and quiet if you wanted that at the other. I just hope they keep it that way and don’t think guests want music at both end. We don’t. The pool was clean, which was a challenge as it was very windy when we were there. Several mornings we saw men scrubbing the sides early in the morning. However, they need to be told that they can’t talk loudly to each other at 7:00 in the morning. We were awakened more than once by their talking while they worked

Coming from New York City, we are accustomed to good food. We weren’t disappointed at Pearl. We were there seven nights and ate at Pearl Restaurant four nights and at Aphrodite Restaurant three nights. The food was excellent at both. Service in the evening was superior at Pearl and very good at Aphrodite. In the daytime breakfast and lunch is only served at Aphrodite. It is located at the edge of the beach and the end of the pool. We were very please with the quality and taste of the breakfast and lunch food. Breakfast was buffet style. Although perhaps there was an A la carte menu and we just didn’t know to ask for it. At lunch you can order from the menu or help yourself at the buffet. For the first four days we were very disappointed with the breakfast and lunch service. Finally, one evening while we were waiting to go into the dining room at Pearl, I mentioned to the captain that we were disappointed with the Aphrodite daytime service. He said he’d let the management know and I left it at that. Well, the next morning I was personally greeted by name by the captain at Aphrodite and at least half of the waiters. Service from then on was stellar. Not just for us, but we noticed all other guests received great service. After breakfast I was approached by Valentina who is the Guest Services Manager. She apologized for our receiving mediocre service and inquired if everything was now okay. We were so very impressed that our mere speaking to the captain at one restaurant got things corrected so quickly at another restaurant. We understand things go wrong. But how management handles it is the really important thing. Valentina is really, really on the ball! Clearly she’s committed to insuring everyone has a perfect holiday experience.

Okay, back to the food. We had another amazing positive experience. We happened to have the opportunity to meet the chef. We were so impressed with the food. As, perhaps a random act of kindness, he asked if we would like him to prepare us a special dinner. Who would say, no? We left the menu choice up to him. Our last night, we were treated to a sumptuous dinner by Chef Ricardo. Thank you Ricardo and Pablo his sous chef. Also special thanks to Christian who was our waiter and provided great service during several nights at Pearl.

Room service was terrific; very punctual. One morning we had coffee delivered and 5 minutes later the waiter was back with another carafe of coffee. It seems he delivered coffee that was not the freshest brew and he came back with a replacement. Very impressive service. He could have just ignored it.

Backing up a bit. Pearl is the more upscale and elegant restaurant. There is a dress code there, mostly for the men: collared shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes, (not sports shoes), no hats. I was disappointed that they didn’t enforce the code. We saw men in shorts, sandals, tee shirts, and hats. We like the dress code. It’s fun to get dressed up and have an elegant dinner with one’s spouse. If I want to be casual I can go to Aphrodite. Although, even there, we, as do some others, dress up for a fun evening out. The Pearl décor is lovely. “Chandeliers” of draped strings of pearls, black tile floors, shadow boxes with elegant mannequins of ladies legs. It’s elegant and up-scale. As for Aphrodite, the décor is adequate and pleasant. I’m told there is a renovation pending. There are no reservations permitted at either restaurant. Although, one night I did see a “Reserved” sign on a table and learned that it was reserved for a Desire executive. We thought it was in poor form. If no reservations for guests there should be none for executives.

In the evening before the disco opens there is usually live music in the lobby area. The music was always very good and varied. Typically it lasts for about an hour. People can dance or just sit and talk and people watch.

When the disco opens, at 10:30 the evening starts out with some entertainment or a fun contest. The entertainment is usually pretty good. We missed seeing the Cirque du Soleil type act, which we heard was terrific. After that the music starts and is overwhelmingly loud. Forget talking to your partner. It’s even hard to order drinks. Once again, and I know I’m sounding pretty aged, but how about some music that more people can relate to. I can’t blame only this resort, it seems most DJs do the same thing. What I’ve noticed at Pearl, is that after a half hour, more that 50% of the people leave. Just saying! How about starting out with a mellower genre and progress every half hour? The DJ should watch the crowd and see if people are dancing, sitting or leaving. If they dance, fine. If not, change the music. And, is it any surprise they wear noise- cancelling earphones! Here’s another opportunity for management to develop some questions from the guests.

We went to the spa just once. We had a sensual massage and enjoyed it very much. I think there is a range of skills of the staff as my wife had a better massage than did I. We recommend the sensual massage. After the massage we used the spa Jacuzzi. Although the spa was generally clean there was sand on the shelf seats of the Jacuzzi.

Some general comments: Not diminishing the wonderful time we had, but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done with the buildings and grounds. Many of the thatched roofs are falling apart; much of the landscaping needs replacing. Plants have grown leggy and are no longer lush. Vines have overgrown many of the buildings. Tear them down and repaint the walls where they grew. (This work has been started); again, heat the pool, improve the wireless service. It was inadequate and unreliable. In the center of the resort there is a pool (pond) filled with brown water and a fountain. Either remove it or make it clean and attractive. Another peeve of ours: at Hidden Beach we are accustomed to having towels available everywhere to put on chairs when one has a bare bottom. No such thing at Desire. Not everyone has a pristine bottom. For sanitary reasons, and for simply keeping the chairs clean I think there should be towels or something available to sit on. It works fine at Hidden Beach. Guests know what is expected and everyone complies.

I know this review is a bit long, but because we liked Desire Pearl so much we particularly wanted to let them and TripAdvisor readers know our feelings. We highly recommend it to others and can’t wait to return ourselves. We welcome any questions.

Room Tip: See my review regarding room selection.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Desire Pearl Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!