“first timer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Super Manzana 11 Manzana 9 Lote 10, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Mississauga
“first timer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visited the Now Sapphire for 10 day stay (April 22-May 2/13). Absolutely gorgeous hotel, suites
were large and well maintained. I had researched this hotel for months before booking. A lot
of positive reviews was the deciding factor. The staff went out of their way to make sure that
your stay was memorable. A few staff that left lasting positive impressions on us, little Gladys
and Iroy from the Market Buffet and all the girls from the Coco Cafe, Carlos from the beach
bar and Carlos from the Cibu not to forget about the entertainment staff, Ty and Jessica, and
hunky David and all the rest.

A few disappointments, upon arrival had a few problems with check-in, months before I had
requested a certain building being closer to all activities and the beach because one person in
our group has a walking disability. We wanted to be all in the same building, we were booked
in separate buildings upon arrival. My husband was not very happy. After about 20 min. or so
we managed to get building 3 for all 4 of us. Our suite was ready but my sister and her
fiance didn't get their suite till 8:00 pm (5 hours after we arrived) Not cool!!!

Three days later, the men in our group got stomach problems(lasted for 4 days). We met a lot
of people at the resort both on of off the beach and everyone had someone in their group
that was sick. The most vulnerable groups seemed to be the wedding parties, a group of
40 and more than half were sick. Don't know if it had to do with alcohol, the heat and over
eating of which we are not used, just don't know, all as I know is that we were lucky to be there
for 10 days so that the VA K was not a total bust!

Over all this resort was pretty exceptional, the restaurants were amazing. Only advise I can
give is not to over indulge. Have a great time! I would go back again and the only thing that
may stop me is the beach. I am a beach bunny and I love to snorkel in the ocean, but that
ocean was pretty murky, didn't see much sea life, don't know if it has to do with the BP spill
a few years ago but it was disappointing. Not one sea shell on the beach and tons of seaweed.
What does that tell you! This of coarse is not the resort's fault.

You have to experience this resort for yourself!!!!!

One more thing, I think that this resort should get rid of the "PREFERRED"
I find it discriminatory and half the beach palapas are reserved for the preferred and more
than 90% were unoccupied during the 10 day stay, and if we used them we were told to move.
Not cool! They are just doing their job, I suppose.

Room Tip: Building 14 or Building 3 and 4 close to the beach and the lobby and restaurants. Top floors are t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor about your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

All of the comments are shared with the operations staff to improve our service in all possible ways. We are happy to read you liked the food in the specialty restaurants.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Kind regards,

2,618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Polish first
Illinois City, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were also at NS for 5 nights for a wedding. I'd have to say 60% of our group got sick also. Talking to some other guests we found out they or they knew of others that had gotten sick.
The staff were hard working and overall our room was very good. Service was slow at the restaurants and the food was so so but not terrible.
We have nothing to compare it to but can't say we will go back. I would be very open to trying another all inclusive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

We sincerely regret that you and your friends felt unwell and this impelled you to enjoy your stay as you expected. We hope that you are feeling better now. Your important feedback has been shared with all the executive & operations staff. Our guests' observations are more than welcomed, as they enable us to improve & correct the services we render to all our fine clientele, among which you are.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours,

Mullica Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Seven friends and I just returned from a five night stay. I have been to many all inclusive resorts including several in the Riviera Maya area and have never gotten ill before. Seven of the eight people in our group spent half of our vacation in the restroom. We are now all on antibiotics and probiotics. I was not impressed by any of the few meals I did eat at the resort. Also was disappointed there was not a beach side grill. The two options for lunch were the buffet or the Bluewater Grill. We did not enjoy our meal at Cibu. My risotto was fair. The others had salmon, pork and chicken. All were bland. Our waiter was grouchy. We went early one evening to the Bluewater Grill for the steak/potato dinner. That was the best meal we had. You will not be able to get a table if you go late.
The resort is very pretty and the beach was beautiful. The spa was very nice. The two ladies in the Coco Cafe were sweethearts! The entertainment group was very friendly, especially David and Marco. Our room was clean and cool. The beds are very comfortable. The maids did a great job but were stressed out when we all requested more toilet paper. I guess they have to account for every last roll.
I always thought the people who wrote negative reviews were just people who could never be happy or were cheap. My group and I are neither. We still had fun despite the illness and bad food.
I can honestly say this is the only resort I have been to that I would never return to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NowSapphireRC, Socia Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your good comments about the service provided by the Coco Café, Entertainment and housekeeping staff. They will be glad to know they were able to assist you.

We very much appreciated your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I, as well as 39 other guests, stayed at NOW Sapphire during the week of 4/14/13-4/21/13. We held our wedding at this beautiful resort, so I not only want to share my experience with the resort itself, but with our wedding experience.

RESORT

This resort is a beautiful resort 20 minutes from the Cancun Airport. It is a little bit of an older resort, and from what I’ve read, it used to be the Paradisus. The grounds are beautiful, and the resort is not a jumbo resort—it is very manageable to walk it. If you have extremely high/picky taste, I’m sure you’ll find something to complain about, but if you are laid back, want to have a good time, and truly enjoy being in paradise, you’ll love this place. The service is phenomenal, and is probably the best quality of this resort.

The hotel is off the beaten path, and there isn't too much directly around the resort in terms of other restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. The town of Puerto Morelos is a 45 minute walk down the beach, and the resort can set you up with shopping trips/bar trips/excursions, etc. It is also very easy to get a taxi, so you are not stuck if you don't want to be. The resort is very secure and safe.

-Rooms: Spacious, as well as very clean. The maids do a great job and spend quality time cleaning the rooms. Beds are very comfortable, the AC works great, and bathrooms are nice. Some bathrooms have tubs, and others have walk-in showers. We never had any issues with bugs, although some of the people that traveled with us left their balcony door open all night to hear the waves and ended up getting little bugs, as well as small lizards, in their room for the week. I’d recommend not keeping the door open unnecessarily. There is a DVD player in every room, and English channels are sparse, but there are options to choose from.

-Preferred vs. Non-Preferred: If you can get the Preferred status at a reasonable price, then it’s worth upgrading. The internet is free as a Preferred guest, there is a separate check- in/check-out, and there are more dining options. It’s not a huge upsell, but if you can get it for $100 or less, it is worth it. If you book an ocean front room Non-Preferred, you will most likely have a hot tub on your balcony, so you don’t have to pay the Preferred rate to get that. That was the case with everyone who traveled with us who booked Ocean Front rooms that did not book the Preferred status.

-Restaurants: For an all-inclusive, I was very impressed with the food. The buffet offers great options daily, and is probably the best for breakfast. My favorite restaurant is Lemongrass, which is the Asian restaurant--they have great food. The only negative experience we had was out of the group of 41, 7 people who ate at the Hibachi part of the restaurant ended up getting a stomach parasite the last day or two there. This was my second time at this resort, though, and my husband and I never became sick once. I guess it’s the luck of the draw, and it can honestly happen anywhere.

Make sure to bring a pair of pants if you want to be able to dine at all restaurants, because there are 2 restaurants that require pants for dinner. No reservation policy at all restaurants, which was great, even with a large group. If you want to get in right away with a large group, go as soon as the restaurant opens. If not, you may end up waiting 30-60 minutes, but who cares—you are on vacation! Sit in the lounge, listen to music and have a drink.

-Entertainment: The entertainment was good for the most part. Some shows were cheesy, but there was always something to do every night. There are nightly bands in the lounge, and we enjoyed that immensely. They did a good job of getting people up to dance, and would play until the lounge bar closed. Eclipse was also fun, especially with a group, and is open until 1am.

-Water/Drinks: The water they use at all of the restaurants is purified (from 5 gallon jugs. You can get bottled water at any bar/restaurant. The drinks were never watered down, and were always great. Be careful when ordering wine, though. All house wines are included in the all-inclusive deal, but if you order a special bottle off of the wine list, there will be an extra charge. The prices are not outrageous, but just be aware that there could be a charge.

-Pools: The main pool is great, and is a lot of fun throughout the day with activities and music. The resort was sold out during the week I was there and I never had trouble finding chairs. We also never had any issues getting towels. Be careful in the main pool, as there are many broken tiles. My husband cut up his feet a couple of times, so if you have kids or have sensitive feet, make sure to have water shoes with you. We did not use the Adults Only/Preferred pool because it was very quiet and frankly, kind of boring. If you don’t like loud music or want to get away from some of the craziness, you would probably enjoy the Preferred/Adults Only pool.

Beach: The beach at this resort is great. Yes, there is sea grass that washes up on the shore, but the resort does a great job scooping it up with a machine daily. The water is warm, and blue, and there were a lot of people swimming in the water daily. It was a little hard getting beach chairs under umbrellas, but not impossible. You might have to walk an extra couple of minutes to the end of the row to find chairs together, but it was never a real problem. As a Preferred member, you can reserve chairs the night before, but I never found a need to do this, as we were able to find chairs in the Non-Preferred area. The beach bar is shown as Preferred only, but they will serve anyone who is on the beach, so no worries about that.

Spa: I had a massage, as well as had my hair, makeup and nails done at the spa. The massage was wonderful, and probably the best service offered. The manicure/pedicure was okay, but not amazing. They do not have a lot of colors, and do not offer no-chip manis/pedis. If you want to get your nails done and have a really specific color you want, bring it with you. The hair/makeup was okay, too. Better than what I would have expected, but again, not amazing. I brought a picture of how I wanted my hair for the wedding, and it turned out fairly close to what I asked for. The ladies dare very nice, so I would just try to explain along the way if you like/don’t like something they are doing.

WEDDING

There aren’t enough good things I can say about our experience with NOW Sapphire and the wedding we had on April 19th. Anel was our wedding planner, and we began working with her in April of 2012. We did everything by email, and she did a good job of responding when she had time. It could take up to 1 week to get an answer back in the early months, but it is completely understandable because the wedding staff puts on several weddings daily. As the wedding got closer, the responses came quicker.

The process of planning a wedding at NOW is very easy—you receive a 50 page booklet, and the majority of the planning is done by using that as a guide. You may add/change/alter anything you want, from flowers, to food, to decorations, and the wedding staff is phenomenal at accommodating any and all of your needs. The booklet will leave you with a lot of questions, but emailing the wedding planner was no problem, and all of my questions were always answered. You may set up calls with the staff if you want to plan by phone, but my husband and I never found that it was necessary. Granted, I am not a bridezilla and have a very “go with the flow” mentality, but I also wanted to make sure everything turned out great, and had no problem planning everything by email.

We chose to have our wedding on the beach, and the cocktail hour/wedding reception was held on the beach terrace. This was by far the best choice because you are a step off of the ocean, have room to spread out, and the ambiance of the lighted pool looks amazing at night during the reception. They also put white lights around the umbrellas along where the dinner tables were, which was a beautiful addition. Having the wedding right off of the water was great at keeping everyone cool, too. There was a great breeze that came off of the water, but it wasn’t obnoxious.
We were able to hire our DJ through NOW, as well as our photographer. You may use outside vendors, but they will cost extra money. Our DJ, Alex, was excellent, and was able to accommodate everything that we asked. He went above and beyond and also DJ’d our cocktail hour, which is typically not the protocol, but because he didn’t mention this to us when he booked, he did it anyway. We gave him all of the music we wanted played, and he did an awesome job mixing it and playing what he saw was keeping people dancing. In the 4+ hours of our reception, I can count on 1 hand the number of people sitting down at one time.

The photography company that the resort uses, Adventure Photography, was excellent as well. The photographers were great, extremely accommodating, and also went above and beyond and stayed longer than expected to keep taking pictures. Ernesto—you are awesome, and we can’t thank you enough again. We haven’t received our pictures yet, but from some of the examples we have seen, I know I will not be disappointed.

Once we arrived at the resort the week of our wedding, we met with Anel the day after arrival to go over everything in detail. She was absolutely wonderful, and everything was exactly how we wanted it. Everything was taken care of for us the day of the wedding, and we literally had to do nothing. We brought our own table numbers, as well as favors for the wedding, and her staff set everything up. Our color was purple, and she had the staff wear purple vests. They even created a special drink that was purple for our cocktail hour.

We chose to have the Mexican Buffet instead of the plated option, and the food was outstanding. Honestly, some of the best wedding food I’ve ever had, including the plated options in the States. Extremely authentic, an abundance of food, and everyone raved about it.

The reception area was where our cocktail hour was, and we not only had a bar tender, but servers taking drink orders during the reception. The area was perfect for dancing, and if women wanted to wear heels, they could because it was a brick patio/surface. The area is spacious, too, so people won’t have to be on top of each other if they don’t want to be.

We had the wedding of our dreams at NOW, and it was honestly 1000 times better than anything I ever imagined. It was truly the wedding of our dreams. Anel and her staff were remarkable, and I cannot speak highly enough about the wedding that we had. I promise you—you will not be disappointed if you get married at NOW Sapphire. Almost everyone who went told me it was the best wedding they have ever been to, and I couldn’t agree with them more. Anel—thank you again for your hard work, dedication, and all of the time you put in to make our wedding the greatest night of our lives.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NowSapphireRC, Socia Media Coordinator i at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination to celebrate your wedding in Cancun.
We really appreciate your time to write your feedback on Tripadvisor. We have been shared your comments with the staff as well as Anel, weddings Department and Adventure Photos staff. They are so happy to read you were so pleased with our service.
It is very refreshing for us to know that we are Now part of your new life. We send you our best wishes. We hope you come and celebrate with us your first wedding anniversary.
Once again, thank you for your wonderful feedback. We hope to see you soon at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.
Warmest regards
Lockport, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We came back last night, and it is just an amazing resort ! The staff makes you feel like royalty, always willing to go beyond their duties. The resort is a perfect size, not to small or big, and the views are just breathtaking.
Two employees in particular just made our vacation more special, as their personalities and enthusiasm are so welcoming. A huge Thank You to both Cesar at The Sandbar along with his staff, and Ivan, the beach/pool reservations staff member.
Cesar is just amazing. He has a such a charming personality, along with making guests laugh and feel so incredibly comfortable. His bartending skills are phoneominal to say the least, and just a joy to sit and hang at The Sandbar.
Everyone who came up to the bar said, 'this is the best bar' !!! Cesar and his staff make all the difference in the world !

The only one negative I would have with this resort is the dining experience. Our last night at the resort, we planned to eat at Fresco, the Mexican restaurant and we have eaten at the LemonGrass (Asian) and The Paramour (French). As we approached the restaurant at 6:00PM, in our amazement and dissapointment, it was CLOSED. We asked why the Fresco, MarketPlace AND Bluewater Grill restaurants were closed. To close 3 restaurants for dinner service was a very POOR choice. We were told since there is a show in the Theatre and a buffet style dinner, the 3 restaurants were not open. The resort should NOT assume guests want buffets and a show. Guests come and go everyday and the resort management should not assume guests are not annoyed with not knowing when they decide to make your dinner plans, assuming you can eat somewhere else.
Very bad management decisions !
Guests should be informed ahead of time of restaurant closings. I have read many reviews, researched the resort prior to booking, and NOT one mention of Now Sapphire chosing to close restaurants for dinner, VERY ANNOYING AND DIS-APPOINTING.

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We are happy to know you had a great stay with us. We will share your comments with the staff; especially with Cesar & Ivan both are excellent collaborators. They will be delighted to learn that they contributed to a very enjoyable experience for you.

The specialty restaurants close once per week for cleaning purposes. Our guests daily receive the sundial with the activities and restaurants information. We sincerely regret you did now know which restaurants were open that day. We have shared your observations with our F&B Department.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland

Hi,
Just back from our Honeymoon,and we could not have asked for a better resort.
We were looking for a romantic trip but also somewhere that had a bit of craic. There are so many different restaurants to choose from and the all you can eat buffet is unreal.
The entertainment team really make the hotel a pleasure to stay in. They had zumba and dancing games and loads of other funny games to play by the pool and meet people and the evenings were full of entertainment. Dancing shows, Magicians, circus shows, karaoke, and dance lessons, the all inclusive package is so worth it. No need to carry a wallet or handbag around. The beach is amazing, we played beach volleyball and went out on a kayak, loads of fun. The rooms were lovely always cleaned very well and mini bar always stocked up, its great all inclusive. On our last night the hotel left us a bottle of champagne, thought this was a nice touch. Would loved to have stayed longer and we were there for 9 nights. Staff amazing!! Would defo go back. xxxx Thanks for brill honeymoon Now Sapphire.

Room Tip: We didnt have an ocean view room, we had a forest view but it did'nt make any difference, beach...
Dear Sir/ Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful honeymoon in our romantic resort. We will share your comments with the entire staff. Our Entertainment Team and the will be happy to hear that you enjoyed the night performances.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend visited Now Sapphire in mid April 2013 for a week. When we first arrived we were happily greeted with a cool towel and directed right to the Preferred Lounge (we chose the Preferred option). Check in was a breeze and we were offered a cocktail in the lounge. They then had us sit with a woman who gave us resort coupons (for bottles of wine, spa, and dinner extras). This woman was slightly pushy in getting us to schedule a resort presentation the following morning in exchange for another coupon. We did not want to be on a schedule so after several times of telling the woman we were not interested, she finally let us leave. It turns out it was a good choice on our part not to attend because we spoke to several people over the course of the week who attended and could not have been more upset mostly because the presentation lasted 3 hours!

Our first night we decided to eat at Lemongrass. We wanted to sit outside the normal seating area near the hotel grounds water and so we committed to purchasing a bottle of wine to do so. We could not have been happier as we had our own private area to enjoy. Jorge Bares and Adan Lomas took great care of us. Lemongrass may have been our favorite place to eat. The food was delicious and we even went a second time during our stay for Hibachi, which was also was very good accompanied by a great presentation. Another one of our favorites was definitely Bluewater Grill. We ate lunch there twice and dinner once. The steak was very good as was the Lobster. One night we decided to book our own private dinner on the beach (not included in cost). We were very glad we did this as we had our own canopy and waiter right on the beach next to the water as the sun set. While some may be hesitant to book an all inclusive due to food concerns, this is certainly not the case at Now Sapphire. Nearly every meal we had was very good, from breakfast to dinner. The one option I may suggest avoiding is the room service. This was not very good, but they did deliver very quickly.

We also went for a couples massage on the beach. This massage was very relaxing, but the location of the massage was right near a family playing some sort of sport or activity on the beach. I did not let it take away from the experience, but I would probably suggest getting the massage at the spa or ensuring no one is on the beach near your massage.

As mentioned, we opted for the Preferred stay mainly because we needed to have wifi in our room for work. I would say it was definitely worth it, at least for us, due to the wifi, preferred pool, and the preferred lounge. We would occasionally stop in the preferred lounge throughout our stay and at night Manuel would greet us. We had many conversations with Manuel and he provided some of the best service at the resort. Another great benefit was having our mini bar restocked each day.

My girlfriend and I are definitely beach people, but we actually found ourselves at the Preferred Pool many of the days. We did reserve the beach cabana with Ivan a few times and he was always very accommodating and friendly, however we kept coming back to the preferred pool. Jose Luis and Israel are easily the main reason we stayed pool side. When I say these two made our vacation, I am not exaggerating in the least. Every morning Jose and Israel would greet us with huge smiles on their faces and actually have a genuine interest throughout the day in how we were doing. All day they would constantly check on us to see if we needed anything. One day Jose even went and got a pineapple for my girlfriend and spent 15 minutes carving and decorating it in the form of a face. She could not have been happier. While everyone was super nice at the resort, Jose Luis and Israel went the extra mile to ensure our stay was the best it could be. It was a real treat.

Overall, Now Sapphire is a gorgeous resort with great food and excellent service. I have no problem recommending this resort.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun with the Tripadvisor community. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your observations with our team, who certainly will be encouraged by them, especially with Israel and José Luis, who will be pleased to know that they left you and your girlfriend with such a good impression in their service.

info.nosrc@nowresorts.com

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!