“Relaxing JUNGLE retreat ~ with the preferred upgrade!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

You added Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Super Manzana 11 Manzana 9 Lote 10, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
san diego, ca
“Relaxing JUNGLE retreat ~ with the preferred upgrade!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Now Sapphire is a sister hotel to the Now Jade but they couldn't be more different. Where Jade is contemporary and modern and most rooms get an ocean view, Sapphire is a jungle retreat with wild animals, birds singing, and a totally relaxing atmosphere. I booked a tropical view room with the preferred upgrade which included a private check-in. As soon as we arrived we were served a blue cold drink in a champagne flute and walked over to the preferred lounge. Inside we checked-in with no problem where I requested a king size bed and a 2nd story which both were provided. I asked how much it would be to upgrade to ocean view and was told $700 so we passed on it! The preferred lounge offers a small but delicious breakfast buffet, snacks throughout the day, and there is staff that serves everything so all you have to do is show up, sit and wait. There is a couch with a flat screen tv and also free internet access on three computers. There is a bar with top shelf liquor and an espresso/cappucino machine. You can also ask for beer and bottled water. After check-in we were driven in a golf cart to our room. The grounds of this hotel could not be more gorgeous. The foliage is at least 20 feet high and it's filled with palm trees and every tropical plant you can imagine. The walkways lead to separate 'casitas' which have 8 units on each floor and there are 3 floors in each casita. The room is ample size, there is a separate couch with table area and another small table with two chairs. In the sleeping area we had a king size bed, there was an armoire with a flat screen tv and a mini fridge with sodas, beer, and water. It was supposed to be restocked every day but it was not. Not a big deal since we got most of our drinks from the pool, bar area, or preferred lounge. There is also a desk and mirror next to the tv. There is a large size closet and a small safe inside the closet, an ironing board and an umbrella (which came in handy because it rained). The bathroom is the only complaint I have about the room. It's about the size of a motel 6 bathroom. It's nicely appointed in travertine but it is still very, very small. One sink, regular sized tub, and the badet and toilet face each other and they are very close so not too much leg room. The fan in the bathroom did not work well either. Water pressure was good. The beach of this hotel is fabulous, whatever grass comes on shore is removed with a tractor several times per day. The sand and water is gorgeous, there is free snorkeling, kayaking, catamarans at the resort. Towels you get from a little hut close to the main pool. There are palapas on the beach. At the preferred section you have to find Ivan to make a reservation. This is very bothersome because you need to make the reservation at least a day ahead and then show up between 9-11am the next day to claim your spot. Some days Ivan said he was booked up (excuse, I just paid a couple grand for this vacation and you are telling me you don't have a chair for me on the beach???) so that did not sit well with me. He told us to show up the next day at 11 and who ever did not claim their reserved seat that he would give it to us. I did not understand this system at all because all he had to do is pull up more chairs to accomodate everyone. There is a bar on the beach too. The main pool is humongous and very clean, with a swim up bar and there are daily activities organized by hotel staff. I did not spend much time at the main pool but from what I observed there were plenty of lounge chairs. We spent most of the time at the preferred pool where it was peaceful and quiet since no kids are allowed. We spent two days under our priavate palapa bed and one day in regular lounge chairs. Israel is the guy you want to make reservations with and it works just like with Ivan at the beach. You make a reservation one day in advance (Israel was not happy if you asked him about booking more than one day ahead), and you show up between 9-11 to claim your spot. The nice thing is that you can have your spot for all day long, so we would show up in the morning, put our stuff down, lay around, and then if we felt like strolling the beach we left or if we wanted to go eat we could do that too, without loosing our spot. This pool is surrounded by gorgeous lush tropical plants, it's so serene that I felt like I was in paradise. You can totally relax and enjoy yourself. Israel brings the drinks to you or you can walk to the bar. The only bummer is that there is no food at the preferred pool (I don't think the main pool has food either) so when you get hungry you have to go to the buffet or the grill restaurant. Just to give you an idea how tropical this place is our balcony faced the preferred pool but we could not see anything. Like I mentioned before this resort has amazing grounds, the lobby has pools of water with rock designes. There are water fountains in each pool giving you a calming soothing noise. The main area is under a humongous palapa where people congragated each night. There are plenty of sofas and chairs and each night there is live music playing, casino night, or some other activity. There is also a bar in the area and the best part of the resort CoCo Cafe! This is where you will get the best lattes, espressos, cappucinos and hot chocolate. They also have sweets and desserts there too. This is the hot spot of the resort, we came here every day in the morning and afternoon because the coffee served inside the restaurants is black and not good tasting. Plus every time you order coffee at the restaurant you have to specifically ask for the creamer. The restaurants in this resort are nice, the food is served warm and I wish it was served hot. The best resaurants to eat at are the Fresca which has mexican food, and Paramour, the french restaurant. Cibu, the meditteranean, and the japanese restaurant were OK at best. We had sushi at the japanese restaurant (you can opt for hibachi) and it was kind of dry. One thing that I did not like is the fact that if you wanted to be seated in the outdoors section of the restaurant you had to purchase a wine from the menu. This made me angry because I had already upgraded to the preferred option and now they wanted me to spend even more money? I was fine dining inside and not spending the extra. The main buffet had a large selection of food and I would recommend you try the 'green juice' they serve. It's made of spinach, aloe, cactus, pineapple and orange juice and it's simply delicious. Another fabulous part of this hotel is the spa Pevonia. We booked a couples 50 minute deep tissue massage which was rather very pricey, but since we had a $250 voucher we only had to pay an additional $48 plus tip for the masseuses. Our massages were booked for 7pm and we showed up at 6pm to use the facilites. I recommend you do this because you get to use the steam room, sauna, foot massage pool, hot water and cold water pools, and other really awesome large pool which has cascading waterfalls that massage your back and a seat that has water jets in it. The massages themselves were very relaxing and I totally recommend getting some sort of spa deal. In conclusion this resort is small, gorgeous, lush, and totally worth every penny. Another fun fact, there are two talking parrots in a large cage close to CoCo Cafe. We had morning talks with them and sometimes they would say funny stuff. I would come back with my husband or with kids if we had them. This resort is very kid friendly because they have kid activites for the entire day and a kids zone. There is also an arcade with table tennis, air hockey and other games. Definitely the best resort we have stayed at in Riviera Maya thus far.

Room Tip: I stayed in casita #14 which is located close to everything. It is in front of the preferred pool, n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Friends of mine were getting married, so what better excuse to go on vacation to Mexico and stay at a beautiful resort for a mini vacation!!

The restort itself was beautiful, the staff very friendly, the massage services (extra fee), were divine (and the spa gorgeous). The pool was massive and stunning, but there seemed to always be a towel shortage. Unless we went super early, grabbed towels before breakfast, there always seemed to be a vast lack of towels. (and the wait for new fresh ones was always 30-60 minutes). There was no free wifi, (not even in the lobby), you were able to purchase wifi, but its only for one device, which is a pain, and even though i brought my own international plan, there was no reception in the rooms, so my international plan was useless. Finding a signal/good spot to for wifi was a challenge!!

I am not a terribly picky eater, but I was not happy with the food. I did ask around, and it seems people had mixed opinions, some in our group loved it and some hated it. I thought that the food was average at best. (It might sound nuts, but I expected the typical mexican cuisine, to be better in Mexico, but it wasn't. A relatively narrow selection, too much fries/and pizza (I'm at a resort not fast food joint). The restaurants, had a small selection, of nice things, but not spectacular either. The service was slow, and the wait was long. Some of the drinks were good, but the frozen on tasted like soap or some artificial flavoring, and while I love Margaritas, I couldn't stomach any of them. There is a little coffee shop on the premisses, best coffee/expresso/etc is there ... if you stay here, go get yourself a nice cappuccino or frozen drink there. Its a must.

Otherwise, the restort was lovely, rooms were clean and beautiful. I'm not sure if I would stay there again, but overall I think the place was nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
west virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I vacationed here from Nov. 15-22 and have been to Mexico 20 or more times,and we never stay at the same resort. We found this resort to be nice since it was not real large and had a nice layout. Everything was within easy walking distance. The beach was nice soft sand and they used a tractor with somekind of machine hooked on the back to clean the seaweed off the beach several times a day. We stayed in building #13 on the second floor and the room was very nice, especially the A.C. It was cold! How nice is that after being in the sun all day then coming in to a nice cool room. I have to say the mini bar kept our drinks nice and cold also. Our balcony wasn,t much, since it looked out into the jungle. We had a nice check in where they give you a cold wash cloth to wipe your hands upon arrival. They after checking in, they pass you over to someone else who says they want to explain how things are laid out in this resort, but beware, it,s just another time share scheme. Just say you are not interested, and they leave you alone. My one big problem was there are birds flying around in the buffet. The Market Cafe (buffet) is the only place you can get breakfast, and they do have the food set up behind glass doors that open and close, but they open the glass sliding doors so you have the ocean breeze coming in, because it is not air conditioned, and since the doors are open, there are birds flying in. I don,t want any birds anywhere near my food and I don,t like them flying around when I am trying to eat. Now for the rest of the restaurants, they were air conditioned and all enclosed and beautiful. The housekeeping was very well done, and Solomon was the person assigned to do our room, and he did a great job everyday. They have a coffee shop there called Co Co Cafe and Marlete and Carman were two great ladies who worked there and were wonderful. Such nice personalities. The entertainment team works so hard all day, then in the evenings they do some really good shows and have so much energy. We met Ana Maria our second day, and she was just the sweetest little thing. She sure can dance! The pool was kept very clean but it was so cold, we didn,t really enjoy being in it. The lounges around the pool were made of rattan and very comfortable. They don,t give you towel cards, and you don,t have to make reservations for the restaurants, and no wrist bands, all of which we loved. The food was average, the drinks were very good, and service in the Market Cafe great. Carlos and Ishmel made our meals there so much fun. We miss them already. All in all we had a great time!

Room Tip: There are no elevators in this resort, so if you don,t like steps, stay on the ground floor.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at Now Sapphire Nov 13-22 in an Ocean Front Deluxe Suite (non-preferred). As with all ocean front suites, it included a jacuzzi on the balcony and a full ocean view. Our room was on the 2nd floor of bldg 4 and recessed back from the other balconies in our building so it had plenty of privacy. The room was far enough away from the action of the pool bar to be able to relax and listen to the sounds of the rolling surf, yet close enough to have decent drink service and get our own refills at times.

We did not upgrade to preferred and I think it was the right choice as we had everything we could possibly want anyway. We had all the food and booze we could want and the ocean was on our doorstep (literally). Being ocean front was great - the view and serenity of the ocean is right in front of you and on several occassions we could be on the beach under a palapa and one of us would zip inside and phone for room service then head back to our palapa until we heard the cart coming. The carts they use are not particularly loud but they definately can be heard pulling up - I think because the sound of the motor is completely out of sync with the other sounds at the beach. A short break from the sun to eat lunch in our room (or sometimes use ziplock bags to take lunch with us) and back to the beach. Only once did our towels get taken while we were away for lunch, but we still got our exact same spot back because the beach was never overly crowded - even though the resort was fully booked. We only spent one afternoon at the pool and the water was substantially colder than the ocean and it does tend to get a bit noisy around the swim up bar and vollyball net, but that's where the party is supposed to be and everyone needs someplace they can cut loose once in a while and there are still some quiet spots in another areas of the pool.

For us, the tranquility of the ocean and being beachfront was the top priority, and Now Sapphire really delivered. The resort does a great job of offering enough of a party scene around the pool, bar, and nightclub for those who want that, yet quiet enough everywhere else for those who want to crash early. The sun comes up full blast by 6:00 and that's what we used for our morning wake up call (only closed the shears). Guests do start putting down towels on the lounge chairs around 6:00 so if you absolutely want a particular spot and don't have the preferred upgrade, you do need to get your towels down early. The thing is, even if you don't, there were always a few open loungers for those who arrive late. Even if all the loungers should happen to fill up (which we never once saw) the sand is powder soft and beautiful to lay your towel down on. I did not have any bug bites at all while at the resort or on the beach. The only ones I got were some mosquito bites while at Xel Ha waiting to catch our ride back at the end of the day.

As for the drinks, they will pour them any way you want, single, double, etc, and they're very good. Top shelve brands are avaible to everyone, you just have to order your drinks by brand name. My drink is Appleton (rum) & Coke but I also recommend the 100 Anos(pronounced Sen Anyo) Tequila for the odd shot with a Corona chaser.

The food was very good at all the restaurants we tried, but the two times I had steaks they were slightly overcooked. At home I order med rare but go with medium when traveling - just to be a bit safer with internal temps. I'd say both steaks I had ended up being cooked well done to med well. Everything else we tried was very good. Of coarse as with any buffet, there will be some things you like better than others, and it's best to get their early in the service or visit the live cooking stations for the freshest food. The hot food from room service tends to only be warm by the time it arrives, but I think that's to be expected, We usually just ordered sandwiches and cold food items and they were fine. As surprising as this may sound, we absolutely loved the (turkey) hot dogs - especially the ones at the Bluewater Grill. I wouldn't normally take the time to mention a hot dog when reviewing food, but these ones were really really good. We really enjoyed all our lunches at the Bluewater Grill - the fish & cihps and the tostados were probably our favorites. It's casual attire, they have really good food, and the ocean front deck is hard to beat. We did not get around to trying the Mexican or Mediterranian restaurants, and found the Tapanyaki at Lemongrass took too long - 3 hours by the time we waited for all the seats around the table to be filled, placed our orders (which were very limited) then ate and got out - I also was surprised that they served the rice all on it's own between appitizers and main course. I would have expected it to be part of the entre. It was all tasty enough and the 'flare' cooking was fun - (not spectacular) but it just took way too long. There was only one occassion where we had issues with getting a table for dinner - they told me an 1 1/2 hrs for the Bluewater Grill. I decided to check the other restaurants and got seated right away at Paramour (French) so it was no big deal. To summarize, there are lots of choices and the food is pretty good at all the restaurants so just be flexable and you shouldn't have any problems - just go with the flow and you'll be fine. As for attire, men need long pants and closed shoes for the French & Mediterranian restaurants only - everything else is casual - this does not mean slovenly though so just be reasonable and you shouldn't have any issues.

If there was one area I feel improvement is needed it's at check-in. There's no 'velvet rope' to form any kind of organzied line so with three agents working the desk, it's bascially first come first serve depending on where you stand. When we got there, a group was just ahead of us and took up all three agents. I was the only other person waiting to check in and after standing there about 15 minutes, another guest comes strolling along and just happens to be in the right spot to get the next agent after waiting about 5 seconds. I complained about it but to no avail. I would point out that I fault the other guest on this as he knew full well that I was ahead of him. The agents are busy working and can't possible keep track of who arrives first all the time.

Over all, this is a great resort for people with realistic expectations. It's not 5 star and doesn't need to be, and if you really make a point of looking for faults you can probably find a few, but the propert has all the amenities of a very nice resort, with very good food and excellent service. The beach is georgous with sand like tulcum powder and the ocean and reefs are as healthy as any I've seen or dived. Yes, there's sea grass and it makes the water look darker and washes ashore some, but that's how nature intended it to be and it's not that bad. For me, it added a little of a sense of adventure when going into the water as you were never 100% sure what might be in the water with you. I hear some jelly fish were spotted and the red flags were up almost every day as a result, but I was in the water and at the beach almost our entire stay and never saw or heard of anybody being stung and there was no strong currents to worry about.

Room Tip: Go ocean front but forget about preferred club. It's $60/day extra and unless you've got mon...
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Now Sapphire for our honeymoon, and we were extremely pleased with the facilities, service, pools, beach, food, drinks, and the view was spectacular. We were looking for a vacation spot that would feel like a retreat, with plenty of sunshine, activities if we wanted something to do but yet a very relaxed environment as well. Now Sapphire absolutely met our expectations. The resort is open air, very tropical feeling with a modern touch. We liked how all of the rooms were located away from all of the action of the pool, restaurants and nighttime entertainment, yet were still not far away at all. Instead of being housed in huge buildings, each building had a capacity of 24 rooms each, with about 1/3 of the buildings right on the beach. There were lots of families vacationing here, which I'd hoped wouldn't be the case but we were pleasantly surprised that it didn't interfere with our relaxation at all, as there were specialized activities for younger and older children to keep them entertained. In addition, the resort is large enough where it felt spacious and not crowded in the least. This could have been simply due to the fact that we stayed during the Thanksgiving holiday, though. Nearly all staff were courteous and went above and beyond to be helpful (there were only a couple that didn't do quite as well). We can't say enough wonderful things about Irene, in the lobby bar in the evenings. She was genuinely sweet, attentive, and a very hard worker.
The only downfalls that we could see were in the nighttime shows, which seemed a little cheesy and the service at the restaurants. While the food was great, we couldn't figure out why service was extremely slow at Paramour and Fresco; perhaps they were trying to mimic the cultural atmosphere of France and Mexico with longer, more relaxed dining? The food was all great, but by the time we got to our main course, we were starved after having only small appetizers and soup over a 1 1/2 hour period. Our favorite restaurants were Lemongrass, Cibu and Bluewater Grill. The buffet was generally pretty good and hosted a wide variety.
Despite the few downfalls, we'd recommend this resort hands down.

Room Tip: We didn't opt for the Preferred Suite, but did end up with a Junior Suite Tropical View in Build...
MANHATTAN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have stayed at a lot of resorts in Mexico, but this was probably the best. Not a huge resort so everything is in close proximity. The main lobby area has a lot of activities in the evening. We stayed Nov. 18-23 and had a great Thanksgiving dinner while we were there. We stayed in building 4 on the 2nd floor and it was a nice room. We had massages at the spa and took advantage of the water activities they offered. Cannot say enough on how great this experience was. We walked along the beach for about 40 minutes to Puerta Morales and bought some nice souveniors. Good exercise. We were surprised how cool it was in the evenings. The only complaint I can come up with is we couldn't figure out how to reset the thermostat in the room, as it was rather chilly. Most nights we just shut it off and it was comfortable. We will definitely go back. If you have young children, they had a really nice area for them to spend time, swim in their own pool and do crafts. We did not pay the extra for the "preferred" and didn't feel we missed out on anything. We paid for 4 days of internet and it worked fine in our room with our laptops.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Our family of 4 stayed for 8 days during Thanksgiving. There were plenty of things for our children (9 & 16) to do at the resort. We felt very safe on the resort and the staff went out of their way to take care of us. Each staff member was extremely nice and made us feel special. The property was absolutely beautiful. Marble floors, beautiful landscape, clean facilities, excellent housekeeping, beautiful food buffets and more formal eating restaurants. We would love to go back. Everything you want or need right there. Beach was clean and not too crowded. Nightly shows for entertainment and activities on the hour during the day if you wanted to participate. It is very hard to name the best part because it was all great. Can't think of a single thing that I didn't like!! Highly recommend this property!
Carlos in the Buffet restaurant was so very kind to us- best waiter there! And all of the staff in the Core Zone were great to our kids.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!