“Very warm and relaxing environment away from the crowd.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Acamaya Reef to your Saves list
Acamaya Reef
Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
“Very warm and relaxing environment away from the crowd.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

If you want to just go and enjoy the beach and get away from the tourists n busyness this is the place to be. The owners were very friendly and welcomed us with a warm smile. Made us feel very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Acamaya for 7 days. The rooms are all you need for a no frills stay on the beach: our cabana was about three yards away from the beach. Management kept it very clean and provided fresh towels every other day. The fan and AC available in our room were great additions which we were not expecting. The hotel has a small beach bar with drinks and snacks. While the music was loud at times when we were reading on the beach, management did turn it down promptly when we asked. A hidden gem near Puerto Morelos if all-inclusive hotels are not your thing.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We were flying out of Cancun and needed a place not too far from the airport. Stumbled across Acamaya online and were delighted when we arrived and saw what a special place it was. Thatched roofs, mature palms, beautiful sand, and right on the beach. Daisy and her son were welcoming and helpful. When we arrived they couldn't find our reservation (I gave them the wrong name), but there was never any worries or tension, they said not to worry they would take care of us.

There is nothing fancy about Acamaya, but for me it felt luxurious to be in such a beautiful setting. It was a window into what the area must have been like before resorts/condos lined the beach.

I didn't realize it until we got there, but Acamaya was the perfect way for us to end our vacation, so relaxed, so beautiful. My only regret is that we only had 2 night there. But we will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at Acamaya. The little beach cabana was adorable and had an in room sink, lots of shelves for my stuff, and was colorfully painted. It felt so homey and cozy! The staff are exceptionally friendly and there are a couple of resident dogs too. They look ferocious but really just wanted head scratches. Aww. My only complaint is that the rooms aren't cleaned everyday. I dont need my sheets changed but just the sand to be swept out. Also the shared toilet is a little funny because sometimes I'd walk in on a staff member who didn't bother to close the door. Showers had a hot water knob but no hot water. Brrr! There is food and beer available which was great because there is nothing else on that part of the beach but the food choices are mostly premade, not Mexican food. Still i appreciated the chance to have a snack, otherwise it is a 45 minute walk to town on the lovely beach (great exercise!). Overall this has got to be the best value on the beach and it has a nice rustic Mexican ambiance and you can hear the waves crashing at night. I will absolutely stay here again next time. In fact, someone generously gave me a night in one of the nearby fancy resorts and I actually couldn't wait to get back to the friendly casual atmosphere at acamaya.

• Stayed December 2013
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in Acamaya Reef Cabana #4 last week. The staff were super friendly and helped us plan our days and find cool activities. They even set us up with a taxi that was patient and helpful and took us around town on a moment's notice. The room is basic but has A/C, private bathroom with hot shower but bring your own shampoo. It was sufficient for our stay which included activities for most of the day anyway. The personalized attention and service are a welcome touch compared to the mega resorts next door.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is an excellent place to stay if you're not interested in big resorts with pools and concrete blocks. The huts are basic but with character and clean. The resort is simple but the customer service is impeccable. The staff are patient and helpful and the place is peaceful and quiet. I really enjoyed my stay. A couple of small whinges - my hut had no air condition which I was happy with, but there are no mosquito nets so I got eaten alive every night by mosquitoes. It's wonderful to be right on the beach, but it's a long walk to the town centre. Bikes can be rented for a mere US$5 a day and it's only 15 minutes away, but the bike they loaned me was pretty broken and even though I'm an experience cyclist it was quite scary to be riding a flimsy bikes through port hole roads. Still, all small issues, I would go back there again should I ever travel there. Puerto Morelos is close to Cancun but has so much more character.

Room Tip: I stayed in #5, loved my place (apart from Mosquitoes) hammock on the balcony overlooking ocean - wo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

After job duties in Cancun we moved to this peaceful place to spend our vacation here and we definitely haven't regret it at all! Cabanas are an island of non-commercialism between the hotel resorts fortresses. Owners are nice and really helpful if you ask for assistance with trip organization etc., and they have two great dogs. You can get drinks in local bar during the day; snacks are also available and for bigger meal or shopping you can walk (2km along the beach) or bike (bikes are available to rent from the owners) to Puerto Morelos. Cabanas are cozy and clean but naturally not hermetic for wildlife as geckos (which was awesome for us as biologists). For these reasons we can fully recommend it to everybody who doesn't prefer super fancy but artificial hotel resorts. Acamaya Reef Cabanas were definitely a perfect choice for me and my husband.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Noel U, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Acamaya Reef, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hey! Thank you very much or your comments! Hope to have you back soon in the area!

Kind regards!

Been to Acamaya Reef? Share your experiences!