“Good Diving Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wet Set Diving Adventures of Mexico

Wet Set Diving Adventures of Mexico
Hotel Ojo de Agua - Av Javier Rojo Gomez & Ejercito Mexicano | Just 2 blocks north of the town square, on the beach. Look for our flags and signs., Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico
+52 1 998 206 9204
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Wet Set Diving & Snorkeling Adventures is the original PADI scuba diving and snorkeling center in Puerto Morelos, Mexico. Personalized service sets us apart and has been our goal since 1997. Once you check in at Wet Set Divers, you will never have to rinse equipment or carry a tank again. And while you enjoy your adventures on the Mayan Riviera, you can relax knowing that each trip is guided by an experienced professional... This is what we confidently call The Wet Set Difference. We strive to provide the highest quality marine park scuba diving, coral reef snorkeling tours, SNUBA(R) and cenote snorkeling and cenote diving trips in the Riviera Maya. We also offer private tours to Mayan ruins, dive in Cozumel, scuba MUSA sculptures and snorkel with Whale Sharks!
Vancouver, Canada
“Good Diving Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We recently went diving with Wet Set and had a great time! We would recommend it for recreational divers who are in holidays in the area. We previously did our advanced open water certification and this was our first Mayan Riviera dive. We were staying nearby (Now Sapphire) for a family member's destination wedding and did our own research on dive shops and based on that, decided that Wet Set seemed like a good choice (PADI approved and favourable reviews online) over some of the sketchier options with hidden fees presented by the hotels. We walked along the beach from our resort on the Friday to the shop (about a 30 min. walk) and were able to schedule two dives the next morning. The sign-up and payment process went smoothly and when we checked in our Saturday we were pleased with the efficiency and, most of all, the friendly and professional staff we dealt with. They carried our gear down to the boat which was nice and we were off. The boat rides to the two dive locations were short and we enjoyed good visibility and plenty of colourful fish and coral. Our divemaster was excellent and we appreciated being in a small group (there was another couple in our group of a similar experience level). We felt safe the entire time and the condition of the gear was good. We are glad we chose Wet Set and booked with them directly.

Saint Louis, Missouri
6 attraction reviews
“Great value, great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I just used Wet Set for a snorkeling trip. It was the second time we had snorkeled and it was a great experience. I don't know if they always have small groups or if we just lucked out, but it was just my husband and I and two guides! What a pleasure to basically have a private trip! The guides were knowledgeable and helped us feel at ease, especially since we both get nervous jumping off boats, and we were soon calm and exploring the beautiful reef. We saw numerous types of coral reef and schools of fishes. The price was also perfect at $39, although they also have a $29 snorkel trip, and I saw lots of other tours that were much higher. Another plus is that they have a restroom and changing area. We were staying at the NOW Jade (also awesome) which for us was walking distance to Wet Set, so we walked there and took a cab back afterwards. Can't think of any complaints :)

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“SNUBA was my favorite part of the trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Overall Synopsis
This made our trip! It was a great experience. Neither my husband nor I had ever done any diving before. The tour was great, the food was delicious and they did a great job. (Be wary of the fish fillet - although delicious, it was the likely cause of the only digestive issues experienced on our trip. The chicken nachos were tasty and caused no issues.) We wish we had bought a Go Pro camera before our trip - this was another reason why. If you're like me and appreciate a thorough run-down of what to expect on an excursion like this - read on for lots of details.

Getting There
We called the day before to book a time. They were busy in the morning, so we got a 1 pm time slot for SNUBA. We went with the package that included a meal afterwards and they covered the cost of our transportation. It was easy to get a taxi from our resort and it was only about 10-15 minutes away. Our taxi driver came up to the office with us and waited for a couple of minutes while we paid Wet Set for our tour and then they in turn paid our taxi driver and arranged for him to come back and get us later.

Getting Ready
There was a small group of people getting ready to go scuba diving, so our tour guide, Noa, told us to relax until they headed out. Noa was born in Mexico, but lived in the US for much of his childhood and spoke English like a native. (He actually lived in the same town as we do currently when he was a young boy.) Noa was great throughout the entire experience. I used the bathroom facilities (bring your own hand sanitizer). If you use the bathroom by the pool, there is a sink just outside, but there is no sink in the bathroom just off the patio area.

Once the scuba group left, Noa got us set up with our equipment - fins, mask, regulator and harness, and weight belt. He also sat us down to review a few rules for the trip, which basically boil down to don't remove your regulator from your mouth at any time unless you're holding the raft. He also emphasized several times that we could do as much as we were comfortable with - going down, staying near the surface, whatever we felt okay with.

We took a short walk down to the beach and walked into the lovely, warm water. Noa got the raft ready with our tank, hooked up our air lines and had us put on our fins and masks. He then gave us additional tutorials and time to practice clearing water from your mask and regulator, hand signals to use underwater and how to equalize the pressure in your ears. Once we got comfortable with everything, we essentially snorkeled out toward a buoy to our starting point while holding onto the raft.

Going Down
Once we got out to our starting point, Noa checked in with us and we got to start diving down. My husband did great and was able to stay down, so Noa added a few more weights to his belt. I only had 6 pounds in my weight belt to start out and it wasn't enough. As soon as I tried to swim down, I kept buoying back up. Once Noa added some more weight and I tightened my weight belt (it kept slipping around to my stomach area), it was much easier to remain down. Noa also showed me how to turn and swim straight down. We headed down and started working on equalization, etc. Noa checked to make sure we were okay and continued to add weights as needed. Once we got down near the bottom (about 12-15 feet at the deepest point of our swim), Noa started to point out things. As we went along, both my husband and I had to clear our masks of a little water every few minutes or so, but it was pretty easy to do.

What We Saw
Before we even headed out to the deeper water, Noa pointed out a sting ray and a school of small fish swam around us. We saw a parrot fish, angel fish, my husband saw a barracuda, trumpet fish and Noa picked up and held what I can only describe as a sea spider. We also saw big rocks covered in different types of coral as well as other types of coral growing up from the sandy bottom. Noa also guided us over to a cenote (sink hole into an underground river) in the ocean floor. The water was colder coming up from the cenote and there was coral, rocks and fish. Noa took us by the hand (one at a time) and helped us dive down and stick our head into the cenote. (It was only about 5 feet wide.)

Duration
We managed to stay down the full 30 minutes or so that our tank allowed us. (The more normally you breathe, the longer it lasts.) Noa checked the gauge on our tank a couple of times as we swam along. He wore full scuba gear (I'm pretty sure I saw an extra regulator on his tank too). We came back up slowly as we headed back toward shore by following the ocean floor. Noa said that we were awesome for beginners as we managed to stay down the whole time.

Wrapping Up
We headed back to the boat where we started (tied to the beach) and unloaded the raft. Then we carried our equipment back up to the office and open air patio. We offloaded all of our equipment into their disinfectant tank. Noa directed us to some outdoor showers next to the hotel pool for us to rinse off. We only brought one beach towel (from our resort) and they offered us a second one, which was great. We had pre-ordered our lunch/very early dinner before we headed out. We walked over to the beachfront restaurant (next door) and had a great view. The beach and restaurant had a lot of Mexican families and fewer foreigners, so that was a nice experience. As I mentioned earlier, bring your own hand sanitizer and maybe avoid the fish fillet as just one of us had some digestive issues later. The chicken nachos did not cause us any issues though and were delicious. When we were done eating, we headed back to the office and said we were ready to head out. Our taxi driver was ready and waiting for us. It was a great expeirence!

Flemington
14 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Went snorkeling for the first time with family last week. We had a great time. The coral reef was so beautiful. We have a 13 and 15 year old. It was highlight of our trip. The guides were great - pointing out fish we would have missed. I SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT A WATER PROOF UNDER WATER CAMERA - DUH. The boat is small and everything gets wet, so if you bring a small inexpensive camera, bring a zip lock bag so you can bring it on the boat and save it from getting wet. After the trip we ate at the restaurant right outside the dive shop - right on the beach. Don't remember the name but it was good and you get 20% off if you mention Wet Set. We would definitely go back here and might try snuba next time. If you go say hello to Noah from St. Louis!

Seattle, Washington
“Excellent snorkeling trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We took 4 kids snorkeling for the first time and Carlos our guide was great! He had the perfect temperament for the kids both patient and engaging. He took particular care helping with one if the kids who was struggling to get used to the mask and snorkel. That kid ended up having a lovely experience. All the kids had a terrific time discovering all the beauty of the reef! The adults too! All the Wet Set employees were professional and personable. I felt we were in good hands.