“Absolutely Fantastic Resort - a place to return to for sure!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Canada
“Absolutely Fantastic Resort - a place to return to for sure!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

To start of with, we have to say that this resort completely exceeded all our expectations!
We're extremely picky travellers and used to clean high-end 5* resorts with excellent service, food and etiquette. This Dreams resort exceeded all our expectations, for a super low price!!!
It is new (less than a year old), staff goes above and beyond their call of duty, the grounds are very clean, child friendly resort, the food is absolutely excellent (no worries about food poisoning here!!!), rooms are gorgeous (almost all are beach view - if you're lucky you'll have a jacuzzi on your patio - this may be a preferred guest feature tho! We had one and enjoyed it every evening as we looked out onto the ocean, ground floor rooms also have their own private plunge pools and some also have the jacuzzi additional - <premium rooms>), and the beach is clean and safe.

If you go to this resort:
Top restaurants at the resort- French (amazing food and service!!) & Italian (best minestrone ever!!), Asian (great menu & selection!) and the restaurant by the pool has excellent steaks!!!. A great feature for all eateries - no reservations! all you have to do is show up! Another great feature is the coffee shop :)!!!
As for reservations, you aren't allowed to hog beach or pool chairs. So, those travellers who get up at the crack of dawn to reserve the best chairs are SOL, because staff removes unoccupied chairs after 30 minutes-hour.

There is nightly entertainment ( a lounge singer) in the main lobby, a disco but no stage with tacky loud shows. It is all very classy.

The only drawbacks of the resort are - sometimes it takes a while to get service at the beach bar (staff is sometime busy washing drinking glasses - eco friendly resort - no throw away cups!!!); for scuba diving, you can book at the resort but the actual scuba shack is at the next resort over, and we found their staff was kind of rude - we only went on one scuba trip because of that! The staff of the coffee shop rotates and some don't know how to make a good latte yet ;) - but you can just direct them a little if needed.
The water at the beach can be a little cloudy sometimes - there is grass about 15 feet in, but if you snorkel up to the chain, you will see some fish there ( saw bright yellow and blue ones at the concrete anchors!!!)

In summary, again, we had an amazing time there, and we are definitely going back, possibly to have our wedding there in the fall!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Polish first
Springville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

My family of 15 went for a week in April. It was absolutely beautiful and the views from our room were SPECTACULAR. We had a very diverse group with various aged adults, grandparents, and kids aged 3, 7, 10, 12, 16, and 19. Everyone loved the food- it was divine.

We take a family trip every year, and I will be the first to say we are a very demanding family. The lower level staff at Dreams (bartenders-especially Benjamin, most waiters, housekeepers, etc.) were very accommodating, fun, and nice. However, we were paying extra to be in the Premium Club and expected good service for that money. The managers, hosts at restaurants, reservation people, and other higher up staff were RUDE RUDE RUDE. They REFUSED to accommodate such a large group.

There are some great things to do here, but we also went to Beaches Turks and Caicos (another all inclusive) a couple years ago and had a MUCH better trip, encountered friendlier and happier staff, and much clearer water.

If you are going to this Dreams with a small group of 2-5 I bet you will have an amazing time and not encounter any problems. Larger groups- look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Just retuned from a fantastic week at Dreams Riveria. Please do not pay any attention to any negative feedback. The hotel and staff are amazing, we had rain for three days and I love the sun but because of the hotel and staff it really diidnt matter. The comfort of the rooms are superb, we paid for a deluxe plunge pool room 1118 and couldnt fault it for comfort and location. The food is superb as is the choice of restaurants. The only improvement I could suggest is a frequent mini bus to Cancun for hotel guests who might want to visit more than once a week.The return taxi is 75$ but worth it......Please do not go Playa del Carmen for shopping it is nomore than a seedy opium den.......Go to Isla shopping centre Cancun instead.

Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

First Off Before Listing Key Points In Our Trip, I Would Like To State This Trip Was For Our Honeymoon, Both Of Our First Times In Mexico, And I Did About 3 Months Research On This Website Reading Other Peoples Reviews Before Finally Picking This One.....Vacationed Here May 16th-21st.

Pros:
-BEAUTIFUL Rooms
-Comfortable Beds
-We Were Honeymooners, So Privacy In Bathroom Was Not An Issue, But With Older Kids In The Same Room, It May Be Awkward
-Room Service Is Included, Which Makes For Awesome Late Night Food
-Pools Are Always Clean
-The Hotel Is Spotless, Someone Is Always Cleaning Something
-Staff Is Always Friendly, It Was Always "It's My Pleasure"
-Open Lobby, No Windows, Just Shutters
-Good Amount Of Resturants To Eat At For Dinner/Lunch
-Landscaping Is Immaculate

Cons:
-Breakfast Selection Minimum
-(Not A Con For Us But Maybe Others) No On Resort Motor Sports, It Is A Reserve, So It's Protected, Bus Ride To Do Activites About 25 Minutes, But We Enjoyed The Quietness Of The Hotel

Things We Read On Here We Read That We Never Had Problems With:
-Kids, All The Kids Were Well Behaved, We Had More Problems With Drunk Idiot Adults
-Unfriendly Staff, Never Once Ever Dealt With Anyone Unfriendly
-Saving Of Chairs By Pool, Maybe A Little But Not Nearly As Bad As People Made It Out To Be

Favorite Resturant: Oceana, Delicious Dinners

We Highly Reccomend:
-Adventure Photos From Hotel, Kind Of Expensive But Very Worth It .
-Xel-Ha
-Tulum
-Dolphinius At Xel-Ha

Great Honeymoon, Great Service, No Complaints, Would Recommend To Anyone :-)

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Dreams Riviera Cancun in mid-May and it was great. It was the first time for both of us at an all-inclusive (had done cruises before) and it was a good experience. The hotel is new, but it seems, based on reading a lot of these reviews prior to booking and again prior to department, that most of the kinks have been worked out.

Food- excellent. We had no problems with any of the food and really enjoyed every restaurant. We did not wait for a table at any of them the entire time we were there- but we were only a group of 2 and the resort did not seem at full capacity. It is still a bit annoying that a few restaurants are closed each day so we had to try to plan a bit to get to all of them before we left. We both thought that it would be nice if they had somewhere you could just go in and grab a little snack without having to be seated and give your room number, etc. We thought room service menu was a bit limited.

Service- overall pretty good. There was one time when I went to the World Cafe for breakfast alone while my boyfriend was on a fishing trip that no one came to offer me a drink. Also we saw some shady enforcement of the dress code...we went to the Mexican restaurant (El Patio) for the second time during our stay and I told my boyfriend to where whatever he had before, which he thought was shorts. It wasn't and he had to go back and change, which was fine. When we came back they were turning away another group for the same reason. Later that night we saw them let in a very large group with some guys in board shorts, t shirts and flip flops. At least all the others we saw turned away were wearing a polo shirt! And the group we had seen when we returned was seated while the people who were inappropriately dressed went to change....why they didn't do that with this group, I don't know. I don't mind complying, but I find it annoying not everyone has to.

Tipping- we NEVER felt like we had to tip. Everyone was very friendly and the only reason we chose to tip was for great service.

Pools/beach- pools were great. We did not have any trouble with chairs or the towel game. We easily found umbrellas when we wanted them. There were even open palapas at all hours of the day. Again, they didn't seem at capacity while we were there. Beach was fine, but we did not spend much time there. We used the water equipment (kayaks) and they were nice.

Maid service-good, our room was cleaned each day and was fine. Oddly they occasionally came around 5 or so and did both cleaning and turn down...fine with us, but they would take the paper you're given each day listing which restaurants are open and leave us the one for the next day, so we would come back and want to eat and not know what was open or what else was going on that night. Really minor and easy to correct but I write it here in case they read this and can correct it.

Mini bar- was restocked daily but sometimes not till later. We called down once for water and they were worried it hadn't been restocked when we called so I think they are making efforts to ensure they are restocked on time.

Entertainment- ok, but they seem to have only 3-4 guys doing all the entertainment. This made some things sort of lame....casino "night" was an hour because the staff had to go to whatever other thing they were doing that night.

Spa- really nice! I got a massage and they allow you to use their hydrotherapy circuit beforehand for free- it was great. Price for massages are about $125 and up. I used the resort credit of $40 for my massage. I didn't look too intently into prices of other things but they seemed fairly in line with what you would expect from any other spa.

Rooms- I can see why people comment on the privacy of the bathroom- it is definitely very minimal. I think for parents with teens or mixed groups of friends it could be odd. Fine for married/dating couples, people with little kids, group of friends of same sex, or people who wouldn't care about the privacy! Bathroom area could use better lighting also. Toiletries are good, but no conditioner. They had conditioning shampoo but if you usually need conditioner esp. at the beach then bring your own. If you're anticipating rain when you go, try not to be on the top floor because you have no cover over your balcony...we couldn't use ours much when it rained in the evening.

Speaking of rain.....it rained every evening when we were there...not a big deal since we were busy during the day and fairly tired, but walking around this resort at night is dangerous! There is no drainage and the stones/tile they used throughout are incredibly slippery when wet. It's odd that in a place that gets hurricanes they did not plan at all for drainage. They did have umbrellas for you at every entrance.

That's about all I can think of- it is a very nice resort and we were very happy with everything, but there were a few minor glitches. Anything we called the front desk about was resolved quickly. I think anyone who expects absolute perfection is just being unrealistic. I know it's vacation and everyone wants everything perfect so they can relax, but honestly if you can't get over a little glitch here and there then I can't imagine you will ever relax!

Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

First let me say we had a wonderful time at the resort. The staff was wonderful and the accommodations were BEYOND our expectations. We were there for a friend's wedding and everything was perfect.

BRING A PEN - we had to count on the kindness of strangers upon arrival in Cancun to fill out the customer's paperwork. The airline ran out of English forms and we had to utilize the Spanish version- tricky when you only know three words of Spanish. If we had not run into a very understanding and helpful couple we would be have been up the creek without a paddle!

We used USA Transfer for our transportation to the resort and back to the airport. They were awesome and priced very reasonably. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone. There was a small hiccup involving a change in local rules related to private transfers, but they worked to ensure we had what we needed prior to arriving in Cancun.

Driving up to the hotel I was nervous as the areas around the resort is less than desirable- however they have a gate that is manned and controlled access. The entrance is very impressive- postcard beautiful.

Our room was a garden view room, but we got lucky and had a corner room with an ocean view. The accommodations were top notch- fully stocked mini bar, luxurious bedding, clean and huge bath and shower. I can't rave enough about the accommodations.

The Beach: Don't expect beach like you find in the hotel zone in Cancun. The water is a lot more murky, the sea floor is rocky and there are no seashells. I was not expecting the water conditions. Everyone I had spoken to said the water was crystal clear and the sea floor was smooth and soft. Apparently this is true in the hotel zone in Cancun and in Playa. In between the two resorts areas, not so much.

The Food: We were with a group of people who neglected to heed the dress code policy prior to coming to the resort so we could not eat at the nicer sit down restaurants. I understand the need for some dress code, but the requirements at this resort were a bit harsh. I think it's ridiculous to require slacks at a tropical resort (for men) and formal shoe wear for ladies (no nice sandals allowed, think heels, wedges etc). We were only able to eat at the Oceanside and Garden Patio restaurants. While both had decent food, I was bummed we couldn't partake in the French or Italian food. Be warned- take men's slacks, ladies dressy shoes and plenty of skirts and dresses. As for the quality of the food- great, minus the pizza. Bland and not very hot when ordered from the poolside snack shop. The portions are more in line with European portioning, I personally didn't mind it, but we were with a bunch of men who need more than a handful of meat for dinner. Depending on what you are ordering there is a good chance you will need to order two entries, or at least appetizers and salads. Also there was no sweet shop like what we have experienced at other resorts. You have to order desert from the restaurants- most of them will give the desert to go.

Tips: (1) When ordering drinks, order doubles- their version of a double is actually more in line with a good mixed drink in the states. (2) When going for breakfast, toss a couple of towels on some pool side chairs, they go quickly. (3) Order room service well ahead of when you would like the food/drink. (4) Book your excursions at least 48 hours ahead of when you want to do them- don't expect to walk up and be able to do something that day. (5) The milk served with breakfast is served warm and it's MUCH thicker than what I was use to in the states- it still was great with coffee. (6) Eat before leaving for the airport for your return flight. We spent 20 bucks on one bag of gummy bears, a bag of chex mix and a large water. Food was ridiculously expensive. I didn't compare prices with those at the gift shop at the hotel, but it might be worth it to stock up on snacks at the hotel and buy your liquids at the airport. (7) If you are going through customs at DFW make sure you leave at least 2.5 hours in between your connecting flights. We were lucky, but many people around us had only an hour between flights and they missed those flights.

Finally- TIP THE STAFF. While some all inclusiveness's have a no tipping policy, this is NOT one of them. We took 100 in dollar bills, and only went through 50 bucks (we were there for 5 days). Our group took turns giving a 20 to the bartender in the morning at the pool and we made sure to tip at least 30 when we ate (there were quite a few of us). You don't need to tip large, but showing your gratitude is expected.

Steeler Country
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

Spent one fantastic week ( May 9th to May 16th ) and could of not had a better time. Food, service and alcohol was better than average. Plenty of places to eat and all of them were great. Swing bar was a great place to hang out and meet new people. Rooms were very clean and the beds were great to sleep in. Maids cleaned and stocked the fridge 3 three times a day. If you needed something all you had to do was ask. Was my fourth time to Mexico and this was by far the best Resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!