“Amazing Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Calgary, AB
“Amazing Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent the last week of February at this resort, and it was amazing! Beautiful resort, great food, the service was perfect. There were always enough chairs between the pools and the beach..It helps if you don't get up too late, but there were days that we didn't grab chairs until around 10 o'clock and we still got great ones! We didn't try 2 of the restaurants, but all the ones we went to were fantastic, and again, didn't have bad service once! We went for massages at their spa on the one rainy day, and it was great! Super relaxing and very nice staff. This was probably the only thing that wasn't included (which is totally understandable). That morning we even had room service for breakfast which was included, which was a nice perk! The only negative we could come up with is that the walls were quite thin, so if you're looking to sleep in late, you may hear people in the halls.
I would recommend it, and go back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Polish first
calgary alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My family of four just returned from Dreams Riviera. This is our 4th stay in the Mayan and we have stayed at both the Iberostar Lindo and Barcelo Palace. I chose this resort because it was new and not overly large. Also I have wanted to try a Dreams resort for a while. I don't think I will go back to one and I think you can get better value elsewhere. Overall I agree with much of the other reviews. This resort is fine but it is not a 5 star experience. This review is not indepth but simply my opinions on how it does not meet 5 star quality we have had elsewhere.

We have a boy and a girl, 13 and 10. When I booked the resort months ago (ocean view) because my son was 13 I was told he was an adult and we would have to take two rooms. Not feeling comfortable at not being guaranteed adjoining rooms I requested special permission to have all in one room with 2 double beds - they agreed. Upon arrival we were told the resort was full and they only had a king size bed. I asked for two cots - "sorry none are available". I asked what they could do for us (ie two rooms side by side, adjoining etc) and the answer was a flat out "sorry, none available". They had no suggestions but to put us on a waiting list which they stated could take days. They said we would have to make due and all four sleep in one bed. We stood our ground and eventually a room with double beds popped up, of which they told us was an upgrade to ocean view and we would have to pay for it; until I pointed out that is exactly what we had already paid for. Not a great start.

My impression of the resort is it was overbooked for the spring break. People were up at 5 am to get beach chairs. There was always people looking for chairs and there was an extreme shortage. It was so bad at the beach, people were paying for the staff to find them chairs. Normally that was fine but if you left your chair for only a few minutes, your chair would be removed and your belongings put on the ground. The chair wars here was the worst we have experienced as I felt if you left even to go for a swim you were at risk of losing your seat.

Our housekeeping was not done on two evenings until after 6pm, and that was only after we called. Often if you called for assistance it would never show up.
The food and the service was very inconsistent. In comparison to other resorts the food was a definate step down and I would rate it only average. The pizza machine was "broke". We would be at the restaurants at 6 pm sharp to get a table as many people we spoke to had waited 2 to 3 hours. They would also shut the restaurants with many open tables. I am assuming they were short of staff. Although the buzzer system should work in theory I was told many times there was seatings at 6, 7:30 and 9:00. We made a reservation as soon as we arrived for a table at Himitsu (6 days later) and were told on arrival that they could not accomadate us. Again we were persistant and ultimately were given a spot where 4 of the 8 seats remained empty. I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer up the empty chairs to others waiting at the door. A lot of times we felt very rushed - were never offered dessert etc. I had heard of a flaming mayan dessert at the mexican restaurant but when I asked they just said it was not available. Many mornings after being sat for the buffet, we never saw a staff member again for drinks etc. and ultimately we just went and got our own. I don't think this was a problem with the staff or their attitudes. We met some very friendly people. I think it was simply overpacking a very small resort.

My other impression of this resort is that it is not as grand as your normal 5 star resort. It is not well built and things are already showing much wear. The resort itself is very small, the buffets are very small and the pools not very large. The gift shop is way at the back of the lobby and is about half the size of a typical starbucks store. Not a lot of offerings, not many clothes and really not many trinkets. The entrance to the resort is also very odd - it feels like you are driving through a back alley to get there. There were other small things that don't compare to other resorts - no ice cream shop, no pizza oven, no live entertainment, no real stores to speak of (they have one small silver shop). The only real sit down bar they have is the open area in the lobby. There is no separate space to go and mingle, have a drink, etc. You are in amongst people checking in and out. Otherwise you have to be down at the bar on the beach which people are right - it is a small area packed between swingsets and kids pottery painting. I have also typically seen the areas on the beach for seaside massages - this resort had none.

The one thing this resort does really well is the family photos. We booked as soon as we got there and we had to wait 5 days. The photographers are excellent and very enthusiastic. To be honest that experience made our holiday. It was a lot of fun and the pictures are outstanding. We all wore some type of blue jeans (shorts, pants) with white. I highly recommend it.

Overall, I agree your holiday is what you make of it. We are not complainers and tend to make the best of things. That is what we did and we still had a great time. Having said that I will not return to a Dreams Resort again but will return to some place like the Barcelo Palace or Iberostar.

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

After reading the recent reviews we had many of the same experiences. Upon arriving we were told our room was not ready and were given a beeper to alert us when it would be ready. Two hours later we went back to check and they had forgotten. We had also requested adjoining rooms prior to our trip but did not receive them. The lady checking people in was not very friendly. Not a good person to represent the resort when you first check in.
The food was terrible. I would compare it to hospital food. I can understand how people got sick. Our food was always cold when it arrived. The food in the Cafe was also cold even though it was a buffet and you got your own food. When we were there I heard a family talking about their son being terribly ill from the food. The best meal we had was when we went into Cancun and ate at Hard Rock Cafe.
We stayed on the fourth floor and could hear everything above us. The rooms are not sound proof at all. If a chair was moved you could hear it.
If you want a chair by the pool be prepared to put a towel on a chair no later than 5:30 in the morning. Some people saved chairs and didn't show up all day! The pool was also FREEZING!
I can see they are trying to be a high end resort but many things are missing. I was surprised how poor the spelling and grammar were on many of the signs and menus within the resort.
We have traveled extensively abroad and throughout the Caribbean but this was our first time at an all inclusive resort and we were not impressed.

weston, wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We just got back from a 7 night stay at Dreams Riveria Cancun. I can not say enough good things about it. Our room was 2528 and had an amazing view. It was ocean and pool view. Great room to request.

The hotel itself is beautiful. The staff was great. The food amazing. The beach gorgeous. The pools fun. There are families but we were a couple and the families never bothered us. IN fact it was great to see families traveling together.

Yes, people do put towels out. I have travelled to lots of spring break beach places and it is the same everywhere we go. I just choose to accept it and just put my towels out too.

Great tip. Just outside the resort sits a snorkling tour group. We went for $20 to the reef. It was awesome. To see what God created under the sea was amazing. We have snorkled in some beautiful destinations but this one was the best. You go from a boat right by the resort out to the reet. Great trip, great price!

Anyone who complains about this resort would find something to complain about whereever they go. I almost cancelled this hotel because of the negative, whiney reports. Am I ever glad I didnt!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
VIENNA VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Just returned from Dreams Riviera Cancun (DRC) resort and it is one of the best all-inclusive resort in Mayan Riviera. The resort beautiful and extremely clean. The staff is courteous and very helpful. For example, I asked a cleaning woman in the lobby for the location of a power outlet and she politely shook her head and walked away. However, two minutes later she came back with another woman from the front desk who spoke English to assist with my query. Every request was completed with "it's my pleasure". Another example, the Manager from the lobby bar arranged for our family of seven with young kids to eat French food from the Bordeaux restaurant in the Mexican restaurant (i.e., El Patio) because the prior is for adults only. As mentioned from previous reviewers, the food is excellent. The quality ingredients used made the food from formal dining rooms (i.e., Bordeaux, El Patio, Portofino, Himitsu) to casual (i.e., World Cafe, Oceana, Poolside Grill) excellent. DRC does not skimp on food or drinks. Fresh meats and seafood (e.g., fillet mignon, jumbo shrimp, scallops) were served in many restaurants. In addition, fresh and delicious seafood paella was prepared each day by the pool. The drinks are top-shelf (e.g., Absolut vodkas, French VSOP cognac, whiskey, and premium tequilas). Our room was very nice. We stayed in a room with a plunge pool and it worth every penny for us and especially for our five-year old. The room had every possible amenities including suntan lotion and a stocked refrigerator, which was replenished every day. Entertainment was excellent in the lobby. We did not attend many shows in the ballroom because we were content hanging out in the beautiful lobby listening to live music each night, including James McLean! Entertainment staff kept my ten-year old son very busy with basketball, volleyball, batting, archery, shooting, and soccer. The only drawback about this resort was that my wife and I felt full 7/24, which was our own doing. Just kidding. We highly recommend DRC and hope you have a wonderful trip like we did.

Spencerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

My husband and I along with 3 other went to Dreams Riviera Cancun for 8 days and 7 nights. We all left our kids at home with Grandma! We went in November and I apologize this review is late!! I submitted it to Trip Advisor as soon as we returned home but I just checked and it is not there so I am re-submitting!

To give you a little backgorund, we are 4 couples in our 30s and 40s and this was our third trip to Mexico. The past two years we have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo which we loved but decided to try something new this year and boy, are we glad we did!

We arrived on Saturday November 14 around 1 : 30 PM- the resort is only 18 minutes form the airport which was great! We used Apple Vacations so the transfer from the airport was very close and easy. When we arrived we were greeted with champagne and bottled water and our rooms were ready- which was nice. The bellboys brought our luggage to our rooms.
ROOMS: The rooms are awesome. The use of bamboo and gauze in the decor is incredible. We had a king bed which was heavenly, The pillows were great too- I am kind of a fussy pillow person and I loved these:) The octagonal shape of the room is very appealing. We had an ocean view room which was incredible- waking up to that view every morning never gets old!
There were double sinks with much storage space under the bathroom cabinets and many shelves. They supplied shampoo, conditioner, shower gel , soap and sunscreen.
The shower was so nice- very large and great water pressure and the water was always warm!! Beautiful use of tile in the room and shower.
Hair dryers provided too- they are ConAir hair dryers and worked great- so one less thing to pack!
Room safe worked well and iron and ironing borad also provided.
They also have iPod docking stations on the alarm clock to charge and/or play your iPod in your room.

TV: Flat screen TV with DVD players. There were many American channels- including:
CNN, ABC, FOX, NBC, ESPN, Nick, Cartoon Network, Discovery Kids, Disney, Animal PLanet, USA, E! , MTV , VH1, Hallmark, HBO, Cinemax and TNT- just to name a few.

BEACH: The beach here is incredible!! Very deep and long and you can walk for a long , long time either way. One day we walked to the town of Puerto Moroles. There is a little bit of seaweed that occasionally washes up on shore but they run a tractor across it a few times a day to clean it up so it was never a problem. Plus we were just there a week after Hurricane Ida so that always stirs things up.. The water was as blue as ever- very beautiful.

SPA: My sister-in-law and I had massages and one couple we went with had a couples massage. We all had the swedish massages and all decided that they were all very relaxing and very good massages. The spa itself is beautiful.
There is a an exercise room above the spa - which we did not use (haha!!) but it looked very nice!

POOLS: There are 3 pools in the resort. One I would call a kids pool- not quite one foot deep. They had a ping pong table set up in the water which looked fun. Great area for kids.
Another pool I would call the activites pool- water aerobics, water basketball and water volleyball. Lots of activities going on here- which we did not partake in as basically all we did for 8 days was eat, drink, sleep and lay in the sun:)
The third pool was the infinity pool- what a great view of the ocean you get form here. This is the pool with the swim up bar- while there were a few kids in here, it was mainly adults. Very large pool- great for floating around on the rafts that the resort provides.

TOWELS: the resort provides beach towels - which are very heavy and large- great for layong on in the chairs and covering up with if needed. No towel cards are nice.
The towel game? Yep I played it. Been there done that! I would usually be awake each morning by 530 to put our towels out. Now if I did not put our towels out, would I have still gotten a chair by the pool, yes. But there were 8 of us and we found a spot that we really liked and so that is why the early morning. The infinity pool chairs always went fast.

STAFF: WOW!! what can I say about the staff? The service was incredible- anything you asked for, they would follow with "It's a pleasure." I never felt so pampered in my life. They would even carry your plate for you from the breakfast bufft to the tables if they saw you walking with it. Never an empty glass , never a dirty dish or glass on the tables. These people work so hard!! They are such good people.

Which brings me to my next point, TIPS: Please please please bring money to tip the staff. They do not make much money working in Mexico and a little bit goes a long way for them. We take lots of ones and fives with us and use that ti tip with. They are so gracious for anything you give them.

LANGUAGE BARRIER? Please understand that you are traveling to a foreign country and the language they speak is Spanish. Many many many of the staff speaks English though so it was never a problem. I know a fair amount of Spanish which definitley helped but do not worry if you do not!

WEATHER: The weather was perfect!! high 80s during the day- 60s at night. Hot and sunny all week- maybe 2 minutes of rain the entire time we were there.

FOOD: The food was...I can;t even begin to describe how good the food is!!And the presentation of it makes it look like something off the food network!
We were able to try every restaurant and found them all delicious!

WORLD CAFE: This is the main buffet restaurant. We ate breakfast here every day - we were able to sit outside, which we liked. Many , many choices- including made-to-order omlettes, fresh crepes, french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh fruits , pastries (make sure to try the donuts!) , assortment of fresh fruit juices, cold cereals, yogurt- basically an endless assortment!

HIMTSU (japanese)- We made reservations at the Hibachi Table so we had our own personal chef who does lots of tricks and puts on quite a show for you while he is cooking. They make you fried rice, vegetables, chicken, steak, shrimp- it is soooo deleicious! You also get sushi, a salad and ice cream for dessert.

PORTOFINO ( Italian) : This was one of my favorites! I had chicken breast stuffed with spinach and cheeses. My sister-in-law had beef fillet which she said was delicious. My husband had lasagna which was also very tasty. Prior to your meal, they bring you foccacia bread and oil and parmesean cheese to dip in - yummy! Definitely eat here! Ask for Omar to be your server- he was very good!

BORDEAUX(French) Also one of my favorites!! Don;t miss this one! I had some kind of beef fillet which I was able to cut with my butter knife. My brother-in-law had lamb chops which he said were incredible. Before your meal, they bring you out the most incredible rolls with cream cheese in them- they are the best rools I have ever tasted! he french onion soup is also delicious!

OCEANA- ate here every day for lunch. Don't miss the crab won-tons- they are the best and I am still craving them to this day:) Had strip steak once for lunch-was great! Thai noodles were also one of my favorites.

SEA SIDE GRILL- had lunch once here- it is almost basiclly the same menu as Oceana. It was very good.

BAREFOOT GRILL: Yummy place to grab a hamburger, cheeseburger , hot dog, french fries- the cheeseburgers are better than anything I have ever had! (can you tell I like food!!??)

EL PATIO(Mexican): they have really good steak and chicken fajitas . Ask the waiter to make you flaming coffee after your meal-my husband said it was great!
Also ask for coconut ice cream- oh my is that good!

ROOM SERVICE- We did not use it so I can't comment on it- but the menu looked very good- lots of choices for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We loved everyting about this resort. While we were there, for 3 days the resort was at 100% capacity- while it seemed full,we never thought the service lacked in any way . We were still able to get pool and beach wait service, eat at the restaurants, pretty much do the things we wanted to do.

Hats off to the resort for only being open 7 weeks and there were no kinks to be found in our opinion. Rod and his staff deserve a big round of applause for their hard work and dedication! Thank you all for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My husband and I traveled here from March 15 - 22nd to just get away.

Check-In **** We were greeted with a warm welcome, a bottle of water and champagne. Our room was ready when expected and we had a great ocean view room on the 5th floor.

Room**** Our room was very clean, loved the lay out. I do agree with others that the room would be small for more than 2 people. The bathroom doesn't leave much privacy. It was just fine for us but I imagine it would be weird for a family.

Service**** Service was excellent. Everyone went out of their way to provide great service.

Food**** the food was good, but not great. The breakfast buffet at the World cafe was excellent. We did find that the food prepared wasn't always how the menu stated it would be. We were disappointed that Pizza was on the menu at the Seaside restaurant but the oven was "broken" according to staff. On a side note. My husband and I both got the flu while we were there. He starting throwing up the first night we got there and I came down with it a couple nights later. We thought it may be food poisoning but we can't be sure. Probably just a 24 hour bug. I imagine we would have liked the food much better if we were feeling better.

Drinks*** We didn't have many drinks due to being ill but the few we did have were great!

Night Life**** Activites were listed on the daily calendar but we never did attend. We were usually in bed early trying to get better.

Pool**** We never had a difficult time finding chairs to lay in. We aren't picky though. Many days we sat around the jacuzzi. The main pool was very cold, but refreshing. We never had to get up early to save seats. You may have to if you want a "prime" seat right in front of the pool. The beach was beautiful and very clean. The jacuzzi was usually filled with children although the sign says they weren't allowed to be in it. Towels were always available!

Kids**** There are a ton of children at the resort. My husband and I don't have kids but don't mind having kids around. Most of the kids were really well behaved. There were a couple of times were we some big groups of kids without an adult with them. If you are a couple trying to get away on a relaxing vacation you may want to go to an all adult resort.

Overall our trip was great and we had fun. I'm not sure we would return to the resort unless we one day have kids.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!