“You won't be disappointed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Canada
“You won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here November 2012 and had a great time. The service was good, the drinks were top shelf for no extra cost and the food is some of the best i have had at All Inclusive resorts (I have previously worked in the travel industry so stayed at numerous resorts over the years).

We booked a room with a plunge pool which was nice, except that the water was COLD! Our room (and one whole side of both buildings) are in the shade the majority of the time and given they are unheated it was essentially not usable. Only other issue was that cab costs to go off the resort were outrageous! I worked in the area about 10 years ago so was shocked to see them charging what they were to get to Cancun, Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen. I know this is not the hotel but we would have gone into town much more often had it been reasonable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Polish first
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I along with our 11 and 13 year old boys stayed at this resort for Spring Break in March. After a few days of family time my mom came to stay for the remainder of the week.

Just for your information on us as travelers to Mexico we have been to the Riviera Maya area at least a dozen times. We almost always try out new resorts. We've been to El Dorado Royale, The Excellence, Paradisus, The Azul Beach Hotel, Gran Porto Real, The Royal, etc.

We stayed in 2 connecting rooms, we like to have our own space and so do the kids. Both rooms were Plunge Pool Rooms and we paid for the Preffered Club. The kids used the Plunge Pools every single night. They loved it! Upon check in our rooms were ready and when he walked us to our rooms they were amazing. The views of the pools and ocean and our patio's with the plunge pools were fabulous. The rooms are totally comfortable and I couldn't ask for anything more. The beds were cozy, with the Preffered Club upgrade you get little individual bottles of Vodka, Bicardi, and Whiskey along with peanut m&m's that are replenished daily. When my mom was expected on Sunday they made sure her room was in the same building as ours. She was very happy with her room too.

This resort is a nice size resort, not too large, it is nice that the kids can walk around themselves, find their room when they needed a break from the sun, and you feel very safe. The grounds are beautiful and everything is maintained well, they work so hard at keeping the grounds and restaurants clean. The restrooms by the pools are very clean too, you dont always find this at resorts.

The restaurants were good, not fabulous, but better than some resorts we've been at. There are plenty of choices for everyone. The breakfast buffet is a busy place but you can get in and out pretty fast if you're anxious to hit the beach. Some mornings there were longer lines and a wait to be seated but nothing too bad. Maybe a 10 minute wait at the most. The lunch options are good, a couple different spots by the pool and then they have a snack area by the pool that switches menu everyday, but you can always get a hot dog or hamburger, pizza, ice cream cones, etc. Our favorite dinner spot was the Asian. I think it's nearly impossible to get a table at the hibatchi grill, there are only 2 or 3 of them. You need to stand in line before the restaurant opens and make a reservation for this. We tried one day but the line was too long. People start lining up an hour or more beforehand. The French restaurant was delicious too, I had one of the best steaks "in Mexico" that I've ever had. And the Creme Brulee was nummy! The Italian was probably our least favorite.

As for the Preffered Club. If you are trying to decide to upgrade I would say Yes! The advantage that we found best of all because we are coffee people in the morning, is that you can get coffee, latte, etc. in the Preffered Club with NO LINES! The Preffered Club is directly across from the Coffee shop on the property. In the morning people line up, as did I the first day, I forgot to check the Club. The line was a good half hour wait. Some days a little less of a line but always looked like they had quite a few people waiting and waiting. I could walk right into the Club with my room card, and get my cappucinos, and all day at the bar in there you can get really top notch liquor.They also have a NICE breakfast buffet, then all day they put out a few snacks, like sandwiches, sushi, deserts, and so forth.

We are beach people. Not pool people. The pools are nice, great for kids, but really crowded just like at most resorts. The swim up bar is nice, but they allow kids to drink their shakes and frozen drinks in the pool and around the edge of the pool you can see some crud from spilled drinks. Pretty gross. The beach is very pretty, great for swimming and they kept it nice and clean. The bar on the beach was great, had swings around it. The drinks were great, Kettle One vodka, many top notch liquors if you ask for the better brands. The service on the beach was outstanding. Javiar was by far the best server on the beach. So friendly.

One day we took a taxi into Puerto Morelos for a couple of hours, just to explore and shop a bit. We wanted to get my mom and the kids off the property and get a feel for the Mexican Culture. It's a cute fishing village. Friendly people. Good prices on trinkets.

All in all I would totally recommend this resort to everyone! Not one thing went wrong, we loved it. 7 nights is nice but I could go longer. One thing for sure though, if you are going without kids and do not like kids, this is not the resort for you. I cannot understand why couples don't go to Adults Only resorts and expect not to get splashed in the pool, sand thrown on you at the beach, and kids in the restaurants at night. When my husband and I go on vacation together we go Adults Only, and same for my Girlfriend Trips, Adults only.

Thank you "Dreams" for the perfect getaway from a cold Minnesota winter.

Summerfield, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Rooms are a bit small, I suggest 2 connecting rooms for families. The towel game is ridiculous and something needs to be done about it. If you don't have towels and bags on chairs by 7 am you will not have any for your family. Explorer club is great for kids 12 and under with fun activities all day, not much for teens though.
Food was good but an 1 1/2 wait for some restaurants wasn't acceptable. Buffett was a lot less superior than the Secrets resorts (owned by same company). They did offer kids menu which was great for my picky 11 year old.
Service in restaurants was great. Pool service was spotty. Very clean resort,rooms and restaurants. Spa was nice but pricey (use your coupons).

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the main area or you will be kept awake from the shows. Rooms are small...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful week at Dreams Riviera Cancun. The food was great and we were so relieved that the hotel was so accommodating to the needs of our son on a strict gluten free diet. The head chef came out to greet us personally to reassure us when we arrived that he would make sure our son always had many delicious choices -- and he did. From gluten free pasta in the Italian restaurant to the gluten free bread made available to him at request at the buffet and other restaurants, we were impressed. Some of the menus in the restaurants clearly label gluten free items and the head chef explained that the hotel is in the process of converting all of the menus to such labeling.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

After visiting around 6 all-inclusive resorts (some several times) in 20 years during high/spring break season, I had hoped this resort would be the best. It is beautifully designed, and every party of the facility is well maintained. Our "deluxe ocean view" rooms were two interconnecting rooms on the second floor that had a sliver of ocean, and they were decorated nicely and did not smell of mold or anything bad. The food is probably the best resort food we have ever had. The lunch at the pool was amazing each day (my favorite meal), and the bartenders at the poolside bar, Israel, Samuel, and Roberto were enthusiastic and happy to serve drinks with whatever you requested- top shelf, fancy, etc. The entertainment was good, the kids club seemed adequate, and the pools were plentiful and beautiful.

The following, however, is why I would never return to this resort or any other owned by this company- they had not planned appropriately for maximum capacity. People reserved all of the beach and pool chairs and beds by 5:30 a.m. (That means some people got chairs even around 4 a.m.!). One day I could not find ONE chair on the beach or at the pool that was not "reserved" by a guest (usually reserved by a resort towel and some other belongings). That could also explain why we often had to wait in line for pool towels that were not yet available, as they were reserving chairs that people were not using with the towels. I reported this to the front desk and was told that they would try to pull off some towels to free up the chairs but that I should just do it myself. I only saw them removing empty chairs with towels once.

Although the restaurants usually opened at 6 or 6:30, if you weren't there half an hour early, by the time it opened it took at least 1.5 hours to get a table. One night we were told it would be only an hour and a half wait from 6:30 when the restaurant opened (my husband and our friend arrived at 6:25 and there were already 15 people in line), and it took at least an hour and 45 minutes to get the table, at which point all of our kids were melting down and we couldn't even stay. So unfortunately, we were only able to eat dinner at two restaurants because of the crazy wait times- who wants to waste their vacation waiting in line for a reservation? Himitsu was good, and Antonio the server was great. The Ocean Side restaurant might have been good if we were allowed to enjoy our meal earlier, but it was windy and drizzling by the time we got seated and the food took forever to arrive. After that, we had to eat at the nightly buffets, and the ones in the World Cafe were less than desirable.

Another point I saw on the reviews was poor sleep quality. There is noise in the hallway and outside around the clock. It was constant, and there was no sound proofing in the rooms. You can hear people outside, above you starting at 6 a.m. moving chairs that scraped the floor, and ending around 2 a.m, and if we napped during the day, we kept getting interrupted by telephone calls (daily!) from the hotel trying to sell us VIP memberships. The night maids kept knocking around 9:30 each night simply to ask if we wanted towels, and I had to keep reminding them my kids were sleeping and asked them not to knock in the future. I have never slept so poorly at a resort.

From my travel agent's recommendations to the trip advisor reviews, I had hoped that this resort would be our new "go to" place each year. Conversely, it might have turned us off from Mexico altogether. A few families were returning for their second time and commented how the management had declined dramatically and that they, too, would not return. What a pity to spend so much money for 5 people to travel to Mexico for a week to end up at a place which was stressful and had long waiting times for many of the things we went there to enjoy.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Researching family friendly places led us to this resort and we were not disappointed. We have been going to Florida as a yearly family vacation and were looking to switch it up. Bye bye, Florida. Hello, Dreams Riviera Cancun!
The following things helped us to have the best family vacation ever:
The Lobby: open, airy and gorgeous. We enjoyed the comfort and beauty of this gathering space every day. Our kids loved the warm cookies and apples, and the drink of the day! (the helpful schedule placed in our room every evening really made us feel involved in all of the events throughout each day)
The pools: my husband played volleyball every day in the activity pool, and our seven year old loved "walking on water" in a hamster ball. The HEATED kiddy pool was a hit for our three year old, as every day there were toys in the pool to play with, shallow water to swim in, and excellent pool-side service for drinks. The Barefoot Grille was also steps away for ice cream, pizza, burgers and hot dogs. A big hit for all of us! The HEATED infinity pool was beautiful, never too crowded (we were there on March Break too!), and we all enjoyed the swim up bar- our three year old loved the Mango-tango drink :)
The beach: always chairs available and plenty of shade when needed. The water was great and because this is an area of Mexico with heavy seaweed, they did a great job combing the beach. We also borrowed sand toys from the Explorer's Club with no problem.
The food: Not ONE tummy issue for any of us all week. The food was outstanding in every restaurant too. No reservations required here, which is a big deal! (My hubby and I went to Riu Bahamas 2 years ago and had to get in a huge line every day at 8:00am to make dinner reservations every day). Dreams does a great job and the no reservation policy was AMAZING! Even the buffet had excellent food. Made to order eggs and fajitas, and a great variety for all of us. We also loved the little coffee shop for the yummy cappuccinos and pastries. Room service was included and always served with a smile!
The Explorer's Club: I SAID I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave my children in a daycare in Mexico... WOW, WAS I WRONG. The first day our girls went to check it out (while we stayed to watch them), and they stayed for THREE hours. In this time, I watched the caring, compassionate way that they helped the kids, redirected when necessary, listened to the children, and open my eyes to how WONDERFUL they were. By day two, our kids were begging to go there and we let them! It was so secure (and I am one paranoid mom, so for me to leave the kids in there it had to be exceptional). They did face painting, games, songs, our girls were in a fashion show! The three year old LOVED that one! The ladies are unbelievable! I can't thank them enough. I was told by another guest that had been going to this resort for three years, that all of the ladies that work there are the same ones! That helped me to feel even better about it. Thank you so much!
In conclusion, GO TO DREAMS RIVIERA CANCUN! it is the first all-inclusive resort that we will return to!

Room Tip: We had a double room facing the ocean (2438). The lobby noise didn't bother us and it was always...
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

For spring break, my family which included my husband and 2 kids (3 and 5 y.o.) took an airport taxi to the Dreams Riviera Cancun which cost $111. The hotel is about 20mins away from the airport.

While waiting to check in, we were offered bubbles and water. Check-in was fast. The lobby was our favorite building on the property- it just oozes relaxation.

The room we originally booked was not available (2 double beds) so we were upgraded to a ground-level king bed with plunge pool. We asked for a rollaway which turned out to be quite comfortable. The bed was comfortable with many pillows and a warm comforter. It seems the plunge pools aren't heated which I'm just realizing might be why they are called "plunge". I didn't see anyone in their plunge pools except one group which had a pool facing the sun. Rooms on the first floor/ground level get alot of noise at all hours because of all the foot traffic going from section to section. Hotel rooms are divided amongst 2 buildings with 3 or 4 sections each.

Once the first wave of spring break families left, we moved to the 5th floor, courtyard-facing double/double room. Between 10-11pm the night's entertainment would quiet down and there would be peace. This room was definitely more quiet than the ground floor room. It helped to run the AC all night.

To get loungers in the morning, someone had to get up by 5:30am. Even at this time, the choicest loungers and cabanas were reserved. If you rolled out at 9am nothing was available which I saw happen to many people. It seemed like there were alot of loungers but during high season, like spring break, there just wasn't enough.

The pool/ocean wait staff did a good job of serving all the patrons. Someone was always coming by to see if you needed another drink. There was a schedule of activities everyday whether by the pool or ocean.

The ocean was nice. Unseasonably cool but the hotel has nothing to do with that. The sand is white and smooth. There were very few, if any, vendors strolling the beach.

We tried all the restaurants which were decent. There was usually a line to get in once a restaurant opened but it moved quickly. If there was a wait, you would get a beeper to alert you to when your table was ready. The buffet was the best because of the freshness. Also the Seaside Grill. For lunch we usually went to the outdoor grill by the kids pool. There was always a daily special which was really delicious. Never got to try the hibachi grill at Himitsu because we were never lined up in time to make a reservation (the only one required at the resort). There are 2 grill tables of 8. There was always a line by 4:30pm.

The exercise room is tiny and basic. Has 4 treadmills (one was broken during our stay) and a 4 stairclimbers. Free weights and a small collection of weight machines. There is another room for yoga and spinning but no classes were offered when we were there.

The spa is awesome. There's a relaxing water area consisting of hydrotherapy pool, hot tub and cool pool. I received a hot stone massage from Armando. He treated every knot including those I didn't even know existed.

My kids went to the Explorers Club (for kids 3-12) a few times and liked it. It's a great resource for parents- we were so thankful to have a few hours here and there to ourselves. There is a schedule provided with the days activities.

The best, best part of this resort is the staff. Very friendly people who take their job seriously but still are smiling. I can't say enough about how kind and gracious everyone was. In spite of the crowds, the staff handled everything well. There was always food and drink available. The grounds were clean.

This will probably be the last spring break we travel to a hotel with 300+ rooms. It's just too crowded and having to wake up early not because you want to but to ensure you have a place to sit by the ocean/pool is annoying. I give this resort a 3.5 for our experience at this hotel at full capacity (or so it seemed).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!