“Family Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Family Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is definitely a family resort! There were kids everywhere so this resort would be ideal for families but not so much for couples. The walls are paper thin so there isn't much left to the imagination. The food and drinks tasted very good but we both came down with montezumas revenge. It's a very beautiful clean resort with friendly staff but we would not return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Polish first
Brea, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent four days at this resort and it was great! The staff was friendly and very helpful and the hotel was just amazing. Comfortable rooms with amazing views. The food, which was everywhere and in abundance, was very good. I really enjoyed the nightly entertainment-always differnt and exciting. But, my most favorite time was spent in the Spa. For those who want to take some "me" time out during your vacation, treat yourself to one of the spa treatments and just relax. The atmosphere is soothing and peaceful, the staff is responsive to your needs and take excellent care of you-would recommend to anyone who needs to get the stress worked out of their muscles! All in all, this is an absolutely wonderful place to vacation!

Room Tip: The higher floors get the better ocean views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Small niggling problems - turned a five star experience into a four. The system of stocking your room is strange and the house keeping do not notify when mini bar refills and toiletries are required. Take 20 minutes when you notify them to fulfil the request.
Also the French restaurant was a very cold room temperature.
The staff whilst attentive can be slow to react and will try to fob you off rather than give you what you ask for when serving wine - ask for a Sauvignon Blanc and expect a Chardonnay - irritating when you are kept waiting in the first place.

A point worth noting and a big plus is the hotel supply factor 15 suntan lotion as a toiletries - useful when travelling with hand luggage only

Room Tip: Bring small bills for tips as they have no facilities for issuing them at the hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
S.W. Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ok - As mentioned by others THIS IS A FAMILY RESORT! If you and your spouse or significant other want to get away without kids go to an Adults ONLY! Please! Do we need to say more??? Is everyone clear!!! Anyway, we went to Dreams Tulum 2 years ago and LOVED it so we were hoping this would be even better which may have set the bar too high...All in all we had a great time but comparing the 2 we would have to say the other was better. Coco Cafe at Tulum was beyond great, I did feel a little like a sardine at the pool here but not at Tulum, I prefer a Junior Suite like the room at Tulum but the rooms were decorated well here at Riviera Cancun (R.C.), however it was not ideal for a family. Getting up in the middle of the night and not turning on the light was almost dangerous as the glass door could have hit one of use in the middle of the face. Our water temp was ridicilous and last 3 days was only cold! The rooms have little insulation and you can hear lots - thank god we didn't hear any newlyweds if you get my drift! I thought the food was ok and that is really being generous. I woke up at 5am the first two days starving after eating at the French and Mexican. Funny, because at Tulum every meal was great and the Mexican was our fav. On our arrival the check in was ok and we got a good room but when we went for lunch at the Oceana the nachos were horrendous! Seriously, runny nachos? Have you ever heard of such a thing? I thought OMG don't make this the tone of what's to come!!! Breakfast there was good. The French was good and the Mexican was ok. We ate at the Japanese twice and both times we all enjoyed it. The buffets around the pool - pass on those. But we did eat there one night since my daugther wanted to see the show. The staff is always asking to see if you would like a drick around the pool. usualluy around 2:30 the chefs would come around with som appetizers. Nice tough. The Barefoot Grill is really good however watch for the Seagulls as I fell victim to some stealing my pizza as I walked over the pool bridge! Entertainment is really quite good. The Activity/Entertainment Staff is really awesome. Probably the best I've ever dealt with. My daughter loved participating in the activities around the pool and they made her feel special especially Eric. They really helped to make her vacation memorable and she cried when we left. Bungee was great, Explorers was good, spa okay. Beach did have more seaweed than I have been used to. Could walk for long periods of time without feeling unsafe. It really is a great hotel but when you go in with expections sometimes they are hard to live up to. I'm sure most people will have a great time but if I ever want to go back I'd go back to Tulum.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This property exceeded my expectations on every level! We opted for the upgrade to the Preferred Club which came with added privileges of personalized check-in with champagne, appetizers and breakfast/lunch in the preferred club space with premium alcohol and cocktails made to order.
The grounds are meticulously maintained with beautiful sand and greenery throughout. The towels were plentiful as were the many areas around pools and the beach. The infinity pool with swim up bar was so relaxing. we played beach volleyball in the afternoons and had our choice of poolside pizza and hot dogs for the kids or a la carte restaurants when we wanted.
We attended a wedding which was catered and organized through the hotel. They treated the bride & groom to a complimentary upgraded suite which was so spacious that it accommodated all of us for their reception.
A walk down the beach to Puerto Morales is a must. It is a quaint fishing village with shops and eateries.
I would also suggest taking a trip to the local jungle and swimming in the cenotes or zip lining adventures. There are many companies to choose from.
The beaches are like icing sugar here but watch out for the sand flies and jellyfish. They do leave their mark!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have lots of room. Our room was on a higher level and was very quiet. It had a tub on t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Cannot let this vacation pass by without writing a review and sincere thank you to all the staff at Dreams Riviera Cancun. Our second visit here and equally impressed with the tremendous hospitality shown towards us by all..Our trip started with a late night check in at which we were immediately upgraded to a King Suite with ocean views and both indoor and outdoor jacuzzis.. then greeted with a welcome letter and fruit and champagne...The service never stopped from there including coming back from dinner to be surprised by a Honeymoon Banner and rose petals and candles forming a path to our bed.. We had casually mentioned we were celebrating our 25th anniversary in May and this was our trip to our mini-bar guy..The room service was excellent, the maids efficient and courteous, the restaurants fabulous and the bar staff charming and friendly. We made many friends and memories. Our weather was perfect, sunny and warm as was both the ocean and the pools. The only even slightly negative thing we can say is the resort has become less of a Wedding Destination/Couples resort and more of a family resort since our last visit two years ago. This is not a negative really but something to consider if you don't want the company of a lot of children. We also can reflect other comments about noise in your room from hallways...The building is all concrete, marble and stone and even flip flops going down the hall seem extremely loud at 9am when you've been out at the disco until 1am...lol Special thanks to Alberto and Eric at the Barracuda bar and Jose and Rafael at the Lobby bar...excellente service with a smile always....Rob and Cyndi

Room Tip: The North wing tends to enjoy the evening sun longest..We stayed in an ocea front honeymoon suite th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I could (and likely will) go on at length about the resort, beach, food etc. (by the way...the best resort we've been to yet) but I'll first talk about the things families might be more interested to know...

First of all, to all the people earlier who complained about too many children...you booked at a "FAMILY" resort. Next time try booking a room at "Secrets"....an adults only resort. (It'll give you the same great resort experience, without the children.)

Your kids will have a great time here! They will meet other kids from other parts of the world and learn about different places and cultures. Be sure to catch the "hamster" balls in the pool on Thursday (it's the only day per week that they are there, from 10 am - 4 pm). Each day at 4pm until 5pm (providing the weather is good) your children will have a blast on the "Bungee Trampoline" located down the path to the right of the kids club. Our daughter insisted we take her there every day since she loved it so much.

Children are encouraged to join the fun with the entertainment staff around the pool and are never made to feel that they are not welcome.

The Infinity Pool is heated and was great for those cooler evenings when my daughter (and husband) just weren't ready to call it a day. Also, this was the first resort we've been to that the hot tubs were actually hot (not just "bubbly cool water" pools).

They do have top quality alcohol, just ask for it! I asked the bartender at the lobby bar for his best Tequila, he served me "Don Julio" which by the way retails here in Ontario for up to $129.95 for 750 ml (a 26er in US terms). By the way, very good Tequila! Beer lovers should like the choices too. The mini bar fridge in your room will have 4 Corona's in stock, but you can get Bud and Bud Light too if you prefer. I also noticed other imported brands that I had never seen before if you are in the mood for something new. I recommend the Riviera Maya drink for something delicious and refreshing....SO GOOD!!!

The room service food was amazing (we actually enjoyed it more than the food in the restaurants and buffet, which were good too, not the best we've had but still good). The grilled salmon from the room service menu was the best I've had ANYWHERE. After a full day it was nice to enjoy the option of "eating in" sometimes. We did not find out until our last night there that there is a children's menu, you just have to ask for it. Our daughter likes pasta with cheese sauce (kraft dinner) and we found out it was available the last night there. Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to eat at all the restaurants, but the ones we did eat at we're quite good (Italian, Mexican and Oceana). We ate lunch daily at the Seaside Grille, and the food and service there was always fantastic. I highly recommend the Mexican beef tortilla! If you grab a quick snack at the Barefoot Grille, be on the lookout for "banditos!" The gulls and black birds are sneaky, and will steal your food in a heartbeat if they are given the opportunity......NO JOKE. Kinda funny really LOL! Some heavy guage fishing string criss crossed between the roofs of the Barefoot Grille and Seaside Grille roofs above the eating area would solve most of that issue and not be noticeable to vacationers either (just a thought in case anyone that works at the hotel customer service ever reads this and wants to pass the suggestion along to the hotel grounds keepers). BTW, if your kids love ice cream, they'll love the Barefoot Grille. They can get all the soft serve ice cream they want!

If anyone is worried about getting sick on vacation, we are! Our last trip to Now Larimar in Punta Cana, my husband got sicker than I've ever seen him on only our second day there. It ruined his trip really, since he didn't truly get over it for weeks afterwards. If you worry about this too, I'd recommend taking Dukoral before any tropical vacation. You need to take it a couple weeks in advance before leaving (which we did this time), and you should have no problems with most causes of travellers diarrhea. That said, we still armed ourselves with the normal Immodium tablets and Pepto. Luckily, we had absolutely no issues at all, so we didn't have to touch any of those. Lucky? Maybe, or it could be that we made smart decisions on the food we chose to eat. My advice to anyone would be - when in doubt, don't eat it. There's lot's of other good food there, why chance it?!

Others also commented on the noise in the rooms during evening hours from the nightly entertainment. It is true, but we were generally still up watching T.V, or out watching the entertainment ourselves, so it really didn't bother us at all. If you have young children trying to sleep however, this could definitely be a problem for you.

The rooms were really really nice. The views pretty well all seem to have some amount of ocean view (some better than others of course). They come standard with a free in room safe which is large enough for a laptop computer. Our iPad fit in there, along with all our wallets, camcorder and other miscellaneous stuff with lots of room to spare. The locks on both the window and patio door however were both broken. They could not be locked at all, so that was a bit of a disappointment. A simple fix would be a bamboo stick in the bottom track, but I guess maybe they haven't thought of that? I say bamboo because I doubt they have any hockey sticks laying around LOL! We had a 4th floor room, so unless Spider-Man was wanting to break in, we were pretty safe I'd say. They did call the second day after our arrival to make sure everything was o.k (which was nice). We mentioned the locks were broken, no one ever came to fix them. If we were on the bottom floor, this would have been a major concern, but we weren't, so we let it slide.

If you want to take a good walk down the beach, to the right is Puerto Morales. It's a 2 1/2 km walk each way, but a nice one. Watch out for the nude resort about half way there if you are walking with your kids. Be especially careful not to be taking any pictures or videos on that stretch, or the NRC's (naked resort cops) will literally chase you down LOL! One of our friends we were walking with happened to snap a pic (an innocent one!) while walking across the beach that stretches in front of that resort and two NRC's ran after her demanding to see her camera to make sure no inappropriate photos were taken. I wish I had been able to video tape that, it was hilarious!! Anyways, just a heads up on that one LOL.

At the end of a vacation, normally our family has had a good week but we are ready to come home. This has been the first time we have wanted to stay longer. It takes a couple of days to really get the hang of a new resort, even one the size of this, so if we had to do it again, a 10 day vacation would have been ideal since we enjoyed ourselves here so much. We always go to a different place each time we go on vacation, but in this case, we would definitely come back here again if the deal was right.

All said and done, if you have booked a vacation at this resort and are reading this, hopefully you'll have some good insight as to what you can expect. You've made an excellent choice, and won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We upgraded to an ocean view room. Every morning we would open the curtains and door to enjoy the vi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!